Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I need help with a valuation?

francesfrances Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
I have the opportunity to buy a well maintained
1984 Mercedes Benz model 300D. I'd call it a
condition #3 Any guess as to the value of this car?
The asking price is $5500. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    And what is the mileage? This would greatly affect value...
  • francesfrances Member Posts: 3
    The mileage is 125,000 mi. I'm operating under the assumption that the car being a diesel, these miles are looked at differently than were it a gas engine, am I correct?
    Why should the miles on a diesel be special? Engines and cars wear out the same, gas or diesel on a passenger car.

But 125k miles isn't too bad on such an old car, you could look forward to some good years of use if the car were well maintained.

If as you say the car is a #3, I'd say the price is high...a #2 should cost about that...but if you had to pay that for a car that checked out perfectly at the mechanic's, that would be an okay deal I think.

So have the car checked and keep in mind that Mercedes climate control systems in that era were pretty bad...so you will never have truly effective A/C in that car, and you will have trouble with all the vents and valves and flaps that control the heat & a/c....so test all those devices quite thoroughly before you buy...if they've been replaced recently, that's good, you'll get some miles out of the climate system.

Otherwise, presuming a good service history, they are a good sturdy, safe car...but only a good used car, they have no special collector car premium that you have to pay for, so don't fall for that one. But a well-kept used car is always worth a certain premium.

good luck with it!
  • francesfrances Member Posts: 3
    Thank you so much for your input,I appreciate having your advice, Mr Shiftright,It's nice to
    know what specifically to look for. I also was
    wondering just how collectible this car was so
    it was nice to have that info,too.

Right now I'm driving a 1984 Audi Quattro 4000s,
    I love the way it handles and in the winter I certainly appreciate the four wheel drive. I guess
    I just got tempted when my friend decided to
    sell the Mercedes.
    Yes, I don't really see any advantage to trading for the 300D...the 4000S, unlike it's larger brother the 5000S, was a good car and very functional.

Diesels won't ever be collectible, (this is not to say someone won't collect them, which they will, because no one else is, so there's no competition, but alas, also no real appreciation in value), but they can last a long time if well cared for and can give good service, so they have some value for that. They are honest cars, and I admire that as much as the beauty and rarity of the true "classics'.
    ps: Look at the value of the 1982-83 Audi Quattro Coupe...around $10K...unfortunately, the 4-door sedan won't do as well, but someday it too will be worth more than a diesel Benz, I'd venture, because it is an early 4-wheel drive car.
  • cmeehancmeehan Member Posts: 2
    67 Chevy Impala One owner, one mechanic, all maintenance records, very well kept great shape except for original paint a little faded (it was garage kept though)
    what's it worth?
  • badgerpaulbadgerpaul Member Posts: 219
    It depends a lot on body style and engine.
    I've tried to answer your question, cmeehan, in your duplicate post.
  • seeley5060seeley5060 Member Posts: 25
    I have a 66 mustang silver frost with blood red interior. 3spd on the floor with factory A/C. The car has 115K never been hit the lines of the body are really straight. It's a Nevada car with a production code of 72. I had the car appraised at 10K for insurance purposes. How does one know what a fare selling price would be. This is one mint vehicle, I don't want to under sell myself or over sell myself. HELP
    SORRY I forgot to say it's got a 289 2brl under the hood. Pictures are available. AM radio (ford)
    Dear Seeley,

I need to know the body type as well, and I don't know what the"72" means--it doesn't relate to body codes, only to a district code of San Jose...but that's not important. If you want to post the VIN, that would also help.

Shiftright
    Mr.Shiftright:

The info yor requested on the 66 mustang coupe hard top is as follows...VIN# 6F07c259612...body 65A, Color 4, Trim 25, Date 16B, DSO 75(?), Axle 6, Trans 1. factory A/C, No P/B or P/S, I think it's a good # 2. Thanks for you help in this matter.
    Okay, we've e-mailed already about this, but for a 66 hardtop coupe with 3-speed and 289 V-8 in top shape we're looking at $7-10,000, probably more toward the lower end because of the 3-speed, which IMO is the least desireable of the 3 trans options. Popular car, certainly collectible, but there are a lot of Mustangs out there, so that keeps the price in that range. The converts, of course, are the big sellers, and worth almost double in some cases.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,538
    I saw a GTO today that seemed way overpriced, but I haven't really been paying attention to older muscle cars lately (I gave up when the only ones in my price range were basket cases). Actually have been looking at early Miatas, but that's another story.

Anyway, it was a '70 GTO coupe, 400ci/350 HP (claimed), Ram Air (I i assume), 4 speed. Body looked very straight, seemed to be new paint (makes sense because it was for sale on a lot connected to a body shop). Interior showed some wear, but was functional. Aftermarket guage addition and stereo. Didn't see the engine, but claimed to be mechanically good. Not a show car in this condition, but has potential

Asking price was $18,900. Is this in the ballpark for this kind of car?

I should go back to looking at AMX's since they are much cheaper. Even cheaper to run if you can't get parts.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Hi stickguy,

Please see my brilliant response to your question in your duplicate post.

Shiftright
This discussion has been closed.