Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 VW Passat CC

Comments

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Well said :) .
  • pengwinpengwin Member Posts: 74
    about the patriotic business. My intentions were kind of the opposite (no offense, I try to buy american products when i can). I know the Regal is built in Germany for MY2011 and I intend to purchase a 2011 because i know 2012 will be canadian. As far as resale, we keep our cars 7-8years+, 250k miles+, at that point both will be worth about the same.

I have a 2008 Jetta 2.0T DSG, has the older TFSI engine. love the thing, no problems so far, knock on wood. So i'm willing to take the reliability risk.

I just want to know which is the better overall car, interior, materials, quality.
    edited May 2011
    I think with your projected use, the VW will probably be more durable. Possibly with the exception of the latest iteration Jetta, which has been dumbed down, VW and Audi use nicer materials for the money. It is a close one, however, so personal preference here should be the rule to follow.

Keep us informed on what you do.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I know the Regal is built in Germany for MY2011 and I intend to purchase a 2011 because i know 2012 will be canadian.

Do you think the quality will go down in the Canadian manufacturing plant (Oshawa)?

It hasn't won any awards for 2010...but according to wikipedia it's won many awards in previous years...and may build the Cadillac XTS.

You may want to wait for the 2012 MY...the quality may go up :)
    it very well may go up, the quality but my biggest concern is the translation of the german product to the oshwa plant. it seems like nothing that ever starts out in europe makes it to north america exactly the same.
    I see...

I don't think much would change from one plant to another, nothing major anyway.

I believe that they have to go through all the DOT, EPA, NHTSA, etc regulations to sell the vehicle here...and if they change anything major it'll have to go through that process again.

The CC that comes to North America is the North American CC...so it could be produced anywhere and it should be the same one we get.

or something like that :)
  • ann1590ann1590 Member Posts: 1
    My boyfriend owns a 2010 CC Luxury fully loaded and it is awesome! It is however, "For Sale" if you might be interested? It has 13k miles on it and our situation has changed and we need to obtain a pickup truck so therefore we are forced to sell. I will be sorry to see this car go. Reply to this message if you might be interested in details.
  • ninigtoninigto Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue, exactly!!! I took it to the dealer and they did not even say it was design issue, they told me I need to be patient as in hot weather, it takes time to cool the car down. But my other cars, Honda, Hyundai, BMW, never have/had this problem!!! As weather is getting hotter, I don't want to be in my CC anymore.... My commute is 20 min, a/c takes 15 min to cool down.... I am like in a cooking hell!!!!
  • kcamsekcamse Member Posts: 4
    Am i the only one? i never owned a volkswagen and i noticed the look of the cc, so i bought a, 2012 r line. after driving it for few days i noticed some issues especially with the brakes. the brakes are so soft and travel alot before they begin to stop. if pedal is held, it goes to the floor. i brought the car to the dealer and they said brakes were fine. not satisfied i brought in down to a repair and nys inspection shop. they stated the brakes on my car can not pass inspection. i brought it back to the dealer demanding they fix my brakes, a volkswagen rep explained to me that this is the design of vw brakes. they were designed to be very soft and go to floor. i could not believe that until he proved it to me by having me test out 3 new cc's and a gti. they all had the same terrible brakes. why would vw design such a bad brake system?
  • satyr1906satyr1906 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 2009 cc VR6 and have not noticed any braking issues.
    My a/c and brakes are both great. No problems or issues in a year. I guess any car has its lemons unfortunately.
    have 4 VW's. they all do it. It helps you drive more smoothly during non-panic stops.

If you roll around at 20mph then slam on the pedal you'll see it won't go to the floor. I'm assuming its sensing that "panic" braking and helping you stop quicker.
    edited August 2011
    test drove a 2010 cc before i bought 2012, brakes were great. but as i said in original post all new vw's have this have this style of brakes. was given the keys to 3 2012 cc's and a 2011 gti, all had brakes that travel about half way before they held, and if continued went to the floor. vw tech stated that is normal. vw spent millions designing this style of brake. these brakes suck in traffic it gets very dangerous. And that is just the first issue. this is my first vw because i wanted to try german engineering and i think it sucks. i recently rented a budget $16000 nissan versa. this piece of crap out classed my $33000 cc in almost every category except exceleration, Brakes in the versa were rock solid, only had to tap on them to stop, they were excellent. throttle response was excellent, my cc has dual clutch trans which feel like a neutral drop every time you excellerate from a stop and passing gear takes about 3 seconds before it kicks in while next car is up your [non-permissible content removed] already. Why would vw use this trans? just to save .00001% of gas. the steering in my cc make tons of grinding noise and suspension clunks, this cheap beat to **** versa, was so smooth. even the radio sucks in my cc. the reception is so bad i can't get some of my stations and even the local fade out sometimes when driving. i am not happy with this car i feel like every time i buy a new car i pay more and get less.
    edited July 2011
    You obviously don't like the car. It's bad but not the end of the world.

Do youself a favor and axe the car. You'll take somewhat of a (financial) beating but will be happier in both the long and short-run.

Before buying/leasing its replacement, rent the car you're thinking of and spend at least a couple of days with it to see if it lives up to your expectations.
    it seems like you are either a troll...or bought a lemon. We have 4 VW's, and will continue to buy more.
    no, i love the car its the hottest looking sedan out there, but all who stated i own 4 vw's or no problem with my cc how many of those are 2012's. i don't have a lemon i checked 3 2012 cc's and a gti. all have the same problem its a new... vw design. i just wanted to know if you vw guys noticed the same thing with a 2012 cc or other model. saw a road test of gti, test driver stated brakes are way to soft for his liking. it sounds like i'm bashing but when you spend $33000 you want everything perfect, and if you think brakes that go down to the floor is normal than you better try driving another brand. will have to live with the problems because like i said i love the car, just can't understand why vw engineers would such a bad design.
    again, try "panic" braking. it firms up.

Also, we own VW ranging from 99 to 2012. 99 Bug, 08 Jetta, 11 Jetta, 12 CC.
    12 cc. 11 jetta.... then you know want i'm talking about. brakes firm up if i pump them at a full stop but start to fade as i drive. the brakes are ok when i pump them up every time i stop. tried panic braking also both are just temp. fix. as you know. just got to get used to it. thx
    oh, i didn't suggest it as a temp fix but as a means of showing you that the "squishy" pedal is not a safety issue. Its just made that way but when it counts, it'll stop as quickly as you need the car to.
  • discomandiscoman Member Posts: 110
    OK, So the first mistake was buying a car you didn't test drive first. Always, Always, Always test drive the exact car you are going to buy before you sign the papers. Not one the same model, or even same year. If they have to order it for you, make sure there is a clause in the purchase contract that says you do not have to take delivery until after you test drive it. Never take the salesman's word that it's the same but different. A lot of times they put you in a higher trim level car than the one you are buying, then tell you "Yours is the same, just without..... But you will like it just as much. Also if there is a new innovation that a lot of people don't like, they will try to put you in an older car that doesn't have that problem. Then tell you yours is the same, but better because ithas x, y, or z improvements. I always test drive the exact car I am buying. And I make sure it is both in traffic and on the freeway, and play with all the gadgets as I would use them while driving.

As far as passing power. Try putting the transmission in S and then step on the gas, it will take off like a rocket. I did and ended up going from 50 to 77 in what seemed like 2 seconds. Enough to get me a $287.00 ticket. And I was just passing. I also outran my Son's Toyota Celica GT-S. Boy was he ticked off at that. Especially since I have the Turbo 4 and not the VR6.

Now the brakes. If youread the first paragraph, then you would either have known the problem,a nd not bought the car, or not have been disappointed with it because the slaesman would have explained it to you, then you could have tested another one or two to confirm it. And decided to get the car or not. But please don't bash it because you made a mistake.

I have a 2009 CC Luxe and have not had problems with the brakes or A/C. But I did have a problem where the Check Engine light came on while on the return leg from Newport, OR to San Francisco and back, and they troubleshot it down to a sensor on the intake Manifold. So they replaced the manifold and it's fine now. But that was after 40K of driving it. Don't know if anyone else has had the check engine light problem where they had to replace the manifold or if this was just a freak thing. But I haven't had a problem since. I still love my CC as much as the day I bought it. I love the looks it gets and the people who approach and ask what kind of VW it is because there is no badging on the 2009. I think they should have kept it that way. In my opinion it makes it look classier. It also makes people ask about it. Hmm. Maybe that's why the left them off the first year.
  • hiluxssrghiluxssrg Member Posts: 6
    Just became an owner of a 2009 CC Sport CPO and am enjoying driving the first few hundred miles so far. I bought to for $21,500 for any interested forum lurkers. It is stock candy white CC Sport with bluetooth and sat. radio. I receive lots of compliments and passing looks from strangers. It truly is a unique car that you don't see all that often on the road. I'm glad I chose this over a Nissan Maxima. :)
  • robgoodfellowrobgoodfellow Member Posts: 5
    Are the money factors for leasing a CC Lux or Lux Plus available. Interested in a 36 month one

Also, anybody familiar with using the bluetooth with an iPhone4? Interested in how it sounds to someone receiving a call FROM the car. Heard that it's not good.

Thx
  • allen52allen52 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same..2009 vw cc 2.0t lux package and I have 47,000 miles on it and my check engine light goes on and off, sometimes its on for 2 days then its off for a day. Luckily my father owns a mechanic repair shop so I hooked up the launch diagnostic tool and saw a code of p2015: intake manifold runner position sensor/switch circuit range/performance bank 1a. i have been looking for CC owners who have high mileage like me and no one really has that much high mileage, thank god you did. Even though my care free maintenance was over at 36,000 miles the car comes with a 60,000 mile warranty. And my code falls under the engine category so they have to warranty it. Im assuming they didnt charge you anything?
    That's correct. I didn't have to pay a dime. It was not covered under the care free, but was under the powertrain warranty. My problem was EXACTLY the same thing as yours. Usually the light would go off if it sat for a day or so, loke on a weekend without driving it, then after driving for a day or so it would come back on. I thought it might be a bad gas cap or maybe some bad gas, but performance never really suffered. It turned out they had to replace the Intake manifold as the part that was bad comes with the manifold and is not available as an independent part. I was given a loaner car and the work was performed in a few hours. Since then no problems at all.
    The Iphone 4 in general does not perform well with BT. My wife has one and has a Jabra BT in her car. It sucks. But the same BT works well with my motorola phone. Smae with my CC. My phone works great, but hers does not. Maybe that's something they improved with the new I-phone 4(s).
  • traperotrapero Member Posts: 4
    I bought my 2009 cc brand new. I was in love with the car untill the 28,000 service. The service writer advice to rotate the tires. As soon as I picked up the car it sounded like a train was following me and the braking also sound awful. When I took it back the service writer and manager said that it was normal but that it would go away at about 1,000 to 1,200 miles. I let 1800 mile go by and no improcement. so I went back and they said that there was nothing they could do . The manager e=went as far as stating that it was normal for all german cars. They suggested I call VW, so i did. They said that they do not manufacture the tires and that all they could do is pay for 40% of the tire replacement. The tire replacement had to take place at VW dealer which ran $1075.00. I don't understand why I should pay for new tires when my tires are still in very good condition. The service writer also stated the the new tires would also do the same at about 20,000 to 30,000 miles. Needless to say that I no longer love my car.
    if you think the ride was bad wait untill you rotate the tires at 30,000 mile service. I use to love the car until The 30,000 service.
    My cc is a 2009 now 30,000 miles. the ride fells like an old car. sounds like your riding a train. you need new tires every 30,000 miles. this was steted to me by the service writer. call VW of america and all they could say is that they don't make the tires. YEA but you put them on the car you sold me.
    I too have had to replace the rear bulbs a few times already. My cc has 30,000. My worst complain is the ride after rotating the tires at my last service.
    People. May I suggest you check the reviews on tires as well. you can usually find them on something like tirerack.com or other websites. Youdon't have to buy them from them, but do check the reviews. Most of the time the factory does not necessarily put the best tires for a vehicle on it. They do have a mass purchase contract from one manufacturer or another on tires, so they put them on as OEM. They are usually fair to good quality, but not necessarily the best. They get a really good price for them, and the tire manufacturers give them this good price because they know most (Unknowing or unsuspecting)people will continue to put the same tires on because either "That's what the car came with so they must be the best for that car" or "because that's what their dealer sells", at a significant markup. They are usually way overpriced as the Continentals the CC came with are. I had the same issue with my Expedition. Try going with a Pirelli P-Zero or Goodyear Eagle GT's, or Toyo's, or any other manufacturer that makes high performance all season tires. I assure you you will find a better, quieter, and better handling tire than the Continentals.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Great advice!

We see this complaint frequently, on a variety of makes/models - the stock tires are lousy. I have the same poor tires on my Escape, making for a noisy ride. The only reason they haven't been replaced is that I don't drive all that much, so I can't justify (to myself) replacing tires with perfectly good tread life.

If you really hate the handling and road noise, do as discoman suggested. Get better tires. Not a very glamorous purchase, but well worth the investment.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• satyr1906satyr1906 Member Posts: 4
    Could the tire issues be model related? I have a 2009 VR6 4Motion and have not had any issues.
    I'm sure they are!

Some models and model years get better tires than others. I can't tell you why the manufacturer chooses lousy tires or good tires, other than the explanation by discoman - they have a contract, and for some manufacturers the contract includes good OEM tires, and other manufacturers (or models, or years) it's crappy tires.

So-so tires on a new vehicle is a good way for manufacturers to cut costs. It's kind of like buying a new house with great fixtures and fittings, then finding out the dishwasher is a crappy base model. Manufacturers often choose to skimp in areas where the customer won't notice til they've taken ownership.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ugurugur Member Posts: 1
    Hello There
    I bought a 2012 model Passat CC 1.8T. Unfortunately I have the same issue. Workshop says it is normal because there is mechanical box in engine compartment and this is DSG standard. I do not believe that German will have this technology and make something like this disturbing. Whenever I accelerate that noise is amazingly disturbance. Also when I pass from humps i have the similar crack kind of noise and irritating. You buy a 2012 car and have noise issue.

I want to sell but I get very less price so must keep for some time. Life...
  • benetodogbenetodog Member Posts: 3
    I have noticed the same thing. I have owned my 2012 cc lux plus for about a month and I have come very close to rear ending the car in front me several times in rush hour traffic. The car doesn't come to a halt until the brake pedal is all the way to the floor.....I am getting used to it.
    I have a 12 CC, 11 Jetta and 08 Jetta. On the 08 Jetta i replaced the front rotors with slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads. These made a world of difference on bite. The brake pedal still has a fair bit of movement (still gotta press it all the way) but now when it does start to bite, it bites hard.

The way the stock, from factory, setup is on VW's I think the squishy pedal is just something you have to get used to. My daily driver is a 12 mazdaspeed3 and that bites right away the pedal is firm and whenever i drive one of the VW's the brake pedal travel distance always amazes me....for owners, think of it as a VW quirk!
  • benetodogbenetodog Member Posts: 3
    My cc is only a month old. I live in Florida, and so far we have had a couple of 80 degree days. The cc took for ever to cool down. My last car was a 2006 Jag x-type, it too took for ever to cool down. I am pretty disappointed, I was hoping that with a brand new car I wouldn't have this issue. Pretty soon it will be in 90's every day. My other car is a 2012 Ford Escape, that car is a damn ice box, it cools down in a few minutes, even with a sun roof and black leather.
    You may have a problem.

I drove the CC when it first came out and thought the AC was amazing (central TX); I assume nothing has changed.

Maybe your body temp doesn't sync up with the AC temp :confuse: since you mentioned not having enough AC in your old car...maybe you need to keep it at 68 (or so)

Was the fan at full speed? Not certain if the CC can turn the AC off manually (assume so)...maybe your "auto" was on but the AC was off.

I can understand the disappointment...you'd expect everything to be perfect on a new car (especially since this isn't the 1st year)...plus it's hard to test the AC performance in Jan.

My next car must have cooled seats (love the ones in the CTS); nothing worse than a freezing forehead and sweaty back :)
  • jgarner333jgarner333 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any issues with getting A.M. radio stations? Mine are not working. I am going to take it in to a dealer here pretty quick but just wanted to see if anyone else has had this same issue. On another note, I have a 2009 CC VR6 Sport and am wondering if anyone has any reccomendations on an IPOD auxillary connection that is affordable and convenient to purchase from somewhere like best buy/ radio shack/ etc...Thanks!
    Has anyone else out there had issues with the EGC light coming on. and shows a ! symbol in the lower left corner of the readout and the cruise control doesn't work. After shutting down the car and re-starting it it worked fine. Something similar happened a couple of months ago where the EGC light came on, had a loss of power and had to limp home. I also had the Check engine light (Amber) on at the same time. The next day I was going to take it to VW but the EGC light was not lit, but still check engine. Later after shutting it down at work, when I went to leave for VW the check engine was no longer lit, EGC not lit, and everything functioned normal. I called VW and they said if there were no indicators lit there was nothing they could check. I have a 2009 CC Luxe with 47K miles on it. :sick:
    That sounds real annoying...

I'd take a picture (video) with my mobile phone...then take it to them and say "see...pretend it's on now and let me know what you discover"

I had a similar problem with the MIL...they replaced the O2 sensor, but then it came back again. It turned out to be the gas cap wasn't being tightened enough.
    Yeah, the problem is that as I was on the phone with them, they told me if there wer eno indicators lit, it meant it was likely just a glitch in the computer, and that once I shut it down and the computer reset, it cleared the fault. If the fault didn't reoccur then there was no code to troubleshoot, and therefore they were going to have to charge me a diagnostic fee if they couldn't find anything. Also I forgot to mention after letting it sit overnight, when I started it up in the morning and drove off, my wife said she found 2 carbon circles on the floor of the garage under where the engine was. The tech told me that it could be that once I re-started the car the waste gate on the turbo likely purged and the carbon may have been buildup that was causing the problem. Once that purged the problem went away. I don't know if I believe him, or he is feeding me a line of BS. He asked me if I had used cheap gas. I told him no, I only use Premium and usually Shell or Chevron.
  • joelk01joelk01 Member Posts: 56
    One of the issues for me with the CC is the position of the air vents. They seem to be about as far away from you as they can be. There are too few of them and they are small. That was my main concern when I looked at owning one in 2010.
    I find the best is to turn on the floor, dashboard, and defrost vents all at the same time. Also make sure you turn on the recirculate button. That way you get the maximum airflow thoughout the vehicle. As least until you cool it down. Part of the problem is with all the window glass the dashboard gets really hot. If you only have the dashboard vents on, you can have all the cold air in the world blowing in your face, but if the dashboard itself is hot, it will keep the hot air at head level so it stil feels hot in the car, and takes longer to cool. Keep in mind hot air rises, and cold air falls. So the floor vents help keep some cold air low in the car, so the dashboard air doesn't all go to your feet, it stays higher. Then the dashboard vents cool at head/body level, and the Defogger vents cool the windows and dashboard itself. I have found it really cuts down on how long it takes to cool the car in the hot sun. I have the Island Grey, which is practically black and don't have a problem.
    OMG! To prove my point I just endedup getting new tires for my 09 CC at 48K. The factory Continentals were down to the wear bars. I put on Goodyear Eagle GT's, and immediately noticed the difference. It's like driving a different car. Handling was good before, now it's outstanding. Noise is lower, and it feels like it's running on rails. even on wet pavement. More comfortable too. Not advertising for GY, just saying any good quality High Performance all season tire is probably going to be better. :shades:
  • mjs04mjs04 Member Posts: 2
    I just had this same thing happen to me in the 2009 VW CC yesterday afternoon. I was driving the car and made a u-turn when the car acted like it was going to stop and seemed like it wasn't getting any gas. I proceeded to drive into a nearby parking lot and discovered that the EGC light was on. I turned the car off and opened up the manual and read that if the EGC light came on the driver should take it to an authorized VW dealership A.S.A.P. I discovered that I had been inadvertently driving with the cruise control knob activated and immediately turned that off before restarting the car. Once I did that the EGC light was no longer on but I decided to take it to the local VW dealership anyway. I explained the situation to a VW service representative and the fact that I had inadvertently been driving with the cruise control knob turned on when this happened. I was told that that had no bearing on the situation and that no dignostic testing could be done because the EGC light was no longer on. The VW service technician told me to return with the car if/when the EGC light came back on and stayed on as that's the only way the car's computer could be analyzed to determine what the issue was. I've only put premium gas in the car and it has low mileage (less than 6000).
    Buying tires never feels like a glamorous purchase, but it eases the pain when it makes SUCH a difference. I had to replace mine in January and had the same issue - lousy factory Continentals. And, I had the same result as you've had (though mine are a different brand, can't remember which). It can really increase your overall satisfaction with the vehicle.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

I know. It's the damnedest thing. I have not had the same problem repeat itself. But I always remain wary of it. It did happen once with the EGC but not the loss of power. I turned the car off and i was fine. I wonder if the 2009 needs a computer upgrade?? It happened at a time I was taking my son to the airport and I had to turn around and drive 10 miles home to switch cars. My problem is the nearest vw dealer is 50 miles away. I did find out that I was able to get up to hwy speed by shifting manually. However the cruise control will not operate if there isw an egc light or any other type of warning in the comoputer display that shows a ! symbol.
  • mjs04mjs04 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2009 VW CC that has very low mileage (6500). Last week I noticed that my car felt like it was driving itself rather than me controlling it. I went to make a U-Turn and the car bogged down even though I was giving it gas. Then it took off fast after I'd removed my foot from the gas pedal. I then noticed the EPC light came on and I immediately drove into a parking lot and pulled out the owner's manual to see what this meant. The manual advised that I should go to the nearest authorized VW service center which I proceeded to do. By the time I reached the VW dealership the EPC light was off and the service technician told me there was nothing he could do as the computer would not register what had happened without the EPC light being on. He suggested I return to the dealership if/when the EPC light came back on. The next day I contacted VW directly as I didn't like the idea of just waiting to see if the EPC light would come back on. I was instructed to make an appointment with the local VW dealership and bring the car back in, which I subsequently did. As luck would have it, while en route to the VW dealership the EPC light came on and stayed on. Upon my arrival to the dealership I left the car running and the VW technician analyzed it and determined that there was a service bulletin regarding throttle problems with the CCs. I was given a rental vehicle and the special parts were ordered from VW. I think that anyone who's had the EPC light on better have their nearest VW dealership check for a service bulletin regarding throttle problems with CCs.
    That seems very odd to me...I'd think they could tell what service bulletins the car has had based on the VIN. All my service is tagged to my VIN (Lexus), so they should have been the one contacting you scheduling an appointment to have the work done.