Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Got a Quick Question for a Car Dealer?

Comments

• greanpea68greanpea68 Member Posts: 1,996
    That's my take on the whole matter. I don't think the repairs are a big problem at all. It's your money that is holding things up. Financing with the dealership may raise your payment a little, but it is MUCH simpler than using one of these "draft" checks.

LOL....

I was thinking the same exact thing Moo...

GP
    That's my take on the whole matter. I don't think the repairs are a big problem at all. It's your money that is holding things up. Financing with the dealership may raise your payment a little, but it is MUCH simpler than using one of these "draft" checks.

LOL....

I was thinking the same exact thing Moo...

GP
    For my part, I don't want to officially sign for the vehicle until I know if/when the strut repair will be done, and until I got the papers detailing what was done to recondition the vehicle. (I just got that today, finally.)

(Financing with the dealer wouldn't raise our payment a little. It would lower the payment, but double the term, and the interest rate was higher, resulting in thousands of dollars of extra charges. Simpler for someone, maybe, but not in our best interest, is it?)

That is the problem at hand.... As moo and expressed earlier These draft checks are a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] with all respect. Make things easy, finance with the dealer than refi at another time. Cap One makes it sound very easy but believe me it isn't. my dealership won't allow them anymore because Cap one bounced the check and it took 2 months for us to get our money while a customer was driving there new vehicle. If I were the dealer and my customer has a draft check but didn't want to sign or go through there own credit union or own bank or finance with me I am not sure I would put the vehicle through the shop untill the vehicle is all paid for. As I mentioned earlier I would either sign the draft over to them or (what to make things easy) finance with them. Ask for a shorter term see what else they can do. You may have gave the impression to the dealer that you are not financing with them.... I don't know. sometimes it isn't bad to finance with a dealer but to each his own.

GP
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    You are recommending the buyer go with twice the term and a higher interest rate, just to quickly close on a used car?

This sure looks like clubbing the baby seals, in my opinion.

I would walk away. Ask for your $100 back and see if they stop you on the way out. If they call you back, demand the same financing you are getting on your draft. If they really want to sell the car, they will match it.

Also, the repairs - make sure you get any needed repairs IN WRITTING, signed by the sales manager, before you finalize the deal. Otherwise, I bet you never get anything fixed after you drive it away.
  • lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    I always use checks from my credit union, whether it be a cash payment from my account or a loan. I've never had any problems. I would completely advise against financing through the dealer unless they offered identical or better rates and terms. I'd consider walking away from this deal if for no other reason that you are uncomfortable with it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Is there an '05 Pilot shortage in America? :P

I'd blow the dealer off and continue shopping. Even if the dealer has concerns, he should have explained what's up.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    anything i get from the 'whats in your wallet? folks', goes directly to the shredder.
    they have taken to sending unmarked envolopes to get me to open them. :mad:
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • bizarrogirlbizarrogirl Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for everyone's input. I feel slightly more patient knowing that it might take 10 days after we sign our draft, although I still don't know what they've been doing exactly for the last week. Perhaps there was a miscommunication, since I wasn't in on the final meeting. (I was outside, juggling my two small children. Almost literally.)

I don't think there's a Pilot shortage. :) But this is the best one we've seen (clean, one owner, good Carfax, low mileage) at a price below most of the estimates I've seen. Also, having one car now, and two small children, car shopping is excruciatingly inconvenient. So we're hesitant to walk (again) and start over for a third time. (The first time, the dealer offered us 19% financing.)

Thanks again for everyone's input. I hear really mixed reviews on Capital One, but the terms they gave us were leaps and bounds beyond what we've gotten from anyone else. We've had good customer service experiences with them (with our credit cards) so I can't see a reason not to use them.
  • madmanmoomadmanmoo Member Posts: 2,039
    Well, this is a little bizarre then. You haven't signed over the 'draft' to them yet?

I'm sure this is why they haven't started repairs. I would be mirroring what GP said.

Get that draft signed over and get the process started. Try to get a straightforward explanation of what is going on from the dealership as well. If you can't seem to get a good feeling from them, then just walk. As Shifty said, there are plenty of those out there.

Again, good luck!

Also, in regards to the interest rate from the dealership.. . . :surprise: Take CapOne's rate, 19% financing is brutal.
  • lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    Moo,

Why wouldn't the dealer fix the Pilot regardless? Why wouldn't they get started on it the day it came in. It isn't like it is '78 Nova. People expect an '05 Honda to be in perfect working order.
    I'm not sure. It may be out of warranty and they don't want to pay for it unless the deal makes sense. Perhaps the OP's husband noticed something wrong and asked that it was fixed. I don't think I have enough information to answer that well enough.

Speaking of Novas, I would like one of those. :)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,768
    I think I'd ditch that draft, and obtain a financing commitment from a local lender. Someone that can fund the loan immediately.

Then, shop around for another car... There are a million Pilots out there, and probably half of them are in great shape... Why screw around with these guys?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

At least you can fix a '78 Nova without a degree in rocket science. "Look Dad, I can see a spark plug!"
  • jerman2020jerman2020 Member Posts: 1
    I recently read that Chrysler has raised prices on all of their 2009 vehicles by $500. They say this will not affect prices on 2009 vehicles already on dealer lots.

OK, i have a few questions about this. Does this mean there could be 2 identical cars on a dealer lot, one of which is selling for $500 more than the other? What typically happens in this situation?

How can car buyers take advantage of this so they can buy the one that is still cheaper? Do dealers sellout of the cheaper model quickly when prices are raised?

any other insight would be appreciated.
    Yes, there could be 2 identical cars, priced differently.

How can you take advantage of that? Just find the one that is cheaper. Ask your salesperson or search on your own.
    You are recommending the buyer go with twice the term and a higher interest rate, just to quickly close on a used car?

This sure looks like clubbing the baby seals, in my opinion.

I would walk away. Ask for your $100 back and see if they stop you on the way out. If they call you back, demand the same financing you are getting on your draft. If they really want to sell the car, they will match it.

Also, the repairs - make sure you get any needed repairs IN WRITTING, signed by the sales manager, before you finalize the deal. Otherwise, I bet you never get anything fixed after you drive it away.

Not what I am suggesting at all.... I am suggesting that she is trying to use a draft check. Not a favorable move for a dealer. I also suggested for her to talk with the dealer to see if there was anything they could do. If all else fails... finance with the dealer to get the vehicle that they want and than rifinance :shades:

gP
    I always use checks from my credit union, whether it be a cash payment from my account or a loan. I've never had any problems. I would completely advise against financing through the dealer unless they offered identical or better rates and terms. I'd consider walking away from this deal if for no other reason that you are uncomfortable with it.

Chances are with a draft check she may be credit challenged... with all respect if it is a draft check. Also in most cases if it is a draft check a dealer will able to match those deals!

With all respect once again it has been in my experience that people will stay with a draft check just to save face. They don't want anybody to know how there credit is.
    GP
    That's true, Mike. I've seen people do that simply to save face, but I was also unable to match a CapOne loan from last month. It swings back and forth. Sometimes we can get them, sometimes not.
    but I was also unable to match a CapOne loan from last month. It swings back and forth. Sometimes we can get them, sometimes not.

I would be a little nervous if I was a sales rep at a porche dealer and someone says "Oh yeah, I am going through Capital One, they said all I have to do is fill out this check"

When it can't be matched I always think it is the F&I guy trying to hold on to some reserve.... Which I can't really blame the guy ;)

GP
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Are all of the "blank check" financing methods (Capital One and others) considered "draft checks?"

I have one from my credit union, at a rate of 4.75% for 60 months on a used car, but I'm not sure if it would be considered a "draft check."
    Are all of the "blank check" financing methods (Capital One and others) considered "draft checks?"

No... but the majority of them are. If you have one from your credit union I would do all the paper work in house. Have you bring the contracts necessary to process your loan to your credit union. And have you come back with a certified bank check!

GP
    Well, we don't have any special rates. So Nissan may have a tiered rate schedule that would be able to help keep business in house. Porsche does not.

Nissan may have Tier 1 credit qualify for 1.9% on 60 months. Tier 4 would 4.9% which would still crush most rates. Nothing like that here. Ahh well.
    Nissan may have Tier 1 credit qualify for 1.9% on 60 months. Tier 4 would 4.9% which would still crush most rates. Nothing like that here. Ahh well.

True.... But I think you are being a little courtious with 4.9% for tier 4 ;)

Keep in mind tose sub vented rates are for specific vehicles... It is always better to take the rebate and and a buy rate from from a standard bank. At least that is what I always say.... The finance manager may say something else ;)

GP
    Absolutely it is better. Only if you pay the minimum on the loan every month would it make sense to take the special rate sometimes. Cash money off the bottom line is the way to go.

Ya, I may be going a little far with the 4.9%. :blush:
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    They should just replace those struts!

Anybody who buys that Pilot will want those replaced.

So, it's a DRAFT you have. That explains things.

Most dealers won't take them for the reasons others have brought up and Capital One knows this. I haven't seen one in a long time.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    At least you can fix a '78 Nova without a degree in rocket science. "Look Dad, I can see a spark plug!"

Years ago I had a 78 Nova with the old flathead six. Not only could I see the oil filter which I haven't seen on any of my Hondas, but if I really wanted to I could climb into the engine compartment to get it off....

Meanwhile on the draft checks - I did that years ago - probably from when they first were popular. Probably in 2000 - to buy the old 98 Sebring convertible. Followed a link from here to get the check. I was mildly surprised that they just took it and said fine. Drove it home that night. Paid too much for it but it was fun.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Oh, and while I'm here, they should absolutely replace those struts. They should have already been replaced before they are showing the vehicle. Who the heck wants to buy a recent used car with something silly like that?

When I bought my Celica I had to replace the struts on the trunk but that was a 9 year old vehicle from a private owner and cost $6,500. 119K to boot. I figure it earned a new set.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • chipdalychipdaly Member Posts: 6
    The other day when I started my 2002 Audi Allroad and began to drive the car, it seemed like it didn't have much power. Then I realized there were 4 warning lights on the dash. I also realized the transmisson inidicator on the dash wasn't on letting me know if I was in drive, park, etc. I also realized the car felt like it was taking off in 3rd gear and wasn't shifting at all. I tried the manual tiptronic and couldn't shift the gears, couldn't down shift or up shift. Anybody have an idea of the what problem can be. A friend suggested it's electrical and perhaps disconnect and then reconnect the battery???????????//
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Sounds like it's in a "limp home mode" of some sort. I wouldn't drive it if it's not necessary to. My crystal ball is a little cloudy, but I see an expensive repair in your future if you're not under warranty.
    I agree. Get the codes read and see what's up. If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, I can direct you to one of the few places in America where someone can actually repair an Audi first time out.
  • econdorecondor Member Posts: 5
    This is a little on the long side but I want to be sure to give the whole story. I picked up my new car ('09 Altima - leased) tonight. I left the dealership at 9pm as they were closing. When I got the car over 60mph...the car started shaking - like a rough, constant shimmy - the whole car felt like it was vibrating. It didn't stop until I went under 40-50mph, and I was already about 10 mins away and they were closed. I have the salesperson's cell # so I called him and explained what was going on. Turns out he actually had to personally go and get the car from another dealership today and he told me that he "felt a little something, but not as bad as you're describing it." He suggested I bring the car to service at 7am tomorrow and that they 'should' take care of me since I just got the car and that I would get a loaner if they needed to keep it to 'fix' it. He was trying to tell me it could be a simple alignment or balance issue with the tires. I told him that I am not keeping a brand new car that needs any service other than filling the tires with air.

What may make this more interesting is I actually had leased a different new car from the same dealer this past Saturday night. We had a deal in place but I wasn't 100% so they gave me the option to 'change my mind' by Monday and let me take the car w/o signing the official contract...I only signed the spot delivery paper and the temp. I brought the car back to them yesterday because of some scratches and scuffs that were much more apparent in the daylight the next day. They did not give me any problems, except a few tries to convince me to stay in the original car. I did some extra research after I knew I was returning the 1st car and I was able to re-work the terms of the deal with them and move up a model - which is the car I just picked up tonight...and I did sign all the papers this time.

So what should I do...what would you do if this was yours? Take it to service or go directly to sales and insist on a new one? I am having such a hard time rationalizing a brand new car in the shop. Thank you in advance.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    I would just take it to the service department. It could be something as simple as the tires being out of balance. Thats something thats really not that bad.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I have never purchased a new car where the tires are perfectly balanced. Respectfully, you are not being reasonable.

Find one of these and your problems are over-

http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/4159T/index.htm
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    "...It is always better to take the rebate..."

So are you saying a $1500 rebate is better than 0% for 5 years? Just curious.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Should be just a simple rebalancing of tires. This should be a easy fix.

Trying to get a brand new car would be a major hassle... don't think the dealership would go for it.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    I agree with the others.

Sounds like a wheel balance problem which is no big deal.
    Years ago I had that exact thing happen with a recent used car. It was indeed balancing the tires. The before and after was quite amazing.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    The car doesn't need "service" it just needs the tires balanced, or just air in the tires. No big deal.

You'll never going to get a "prefect" new car unless you're buying a one off Rolls Royce or Bugatti or something.

Maybe because the sale person brought it in late, after service was closed, they couldn't have checked it then. I'm sure they'll look after you.

Enjoy your new Altima. :D

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

So are you saying a $1500 rebate is better than 0% for 5 years? Just curious

Hang on there Old Farmer... I am only speaking from a Nissan point of veiw. When ever you are dealing with reabte or rate incentives... it ussualy works better to take the rebate.

Now on your idea of 0% ... I am sure the rebate would be higher than $1500.

The Manufacturers are going to get their money one way or another. But is always better to owe less on a car. I have done it many times where I give the rebate and the buy rate away and the customers spayments are lower than the sub vented rate.

GP
    Econdor....

I work for Nissan and I have to agree with the others here that the tires need to be balanced. When the vehicles come to the dealers they have about 6-9 miles on them after they get off the truck. When the mechanics go through the vehicle (PDI) before you take it, they normaly go down the street to the gas station and verify that everything is working properly. But they don't bring it up on the highway. Reason being it would take too much time to test it that way. I am sure the same is with other manufacturers. You have probably already picked up your new Altima and the I'll bet the vehicle is operating properly.

I ask... When you pick up the vehicle... don't think there is a problem... Meaning if you think there is still a problem your mind will play Jedi tricks on you and you'll think it is still shaking...

Just curious which package did you get? Do you have any questions that were not answered at time of delivery that I may be able to explain to you. If you do feel free to contact me at any time through the carspace emails :D

Enjoy your new car! And one more thing do the sales kid a favor.... when you get the survey in the mail.... I am sure th sales kid asked you for all excellents on the survey but there will be a question on the survey.... " Where there any problems with your new Altima when you took delivery?".... I ask that you answer that question with a "NO"....

Reason being is because even though the kid said he might have felt something when he brought the car in. He was probably rushing through things to keep you the customer happy. The main reason I ask for a no on that answer is because a "yes" answer will bring his score down. When there are problems like that it ussualy out of the salesmans control. Also it sounds like he may have been a new sales person. Only reason I say that is because a veteran would not have delivered the vehicle knowing there was a issue. And if the veteran did know.... I guarantee he would have played dumb. So please be nice to your salesman :shades:

You can rest assure I wasn't your salesman. 1) I would have remembered if I had any customers recently with your problem.... and I guess I really don't need a two but....2) I work in Boston.

GP
    It's also possible the salesguy wasn't as sensitive to the vibration as the customer was.
  • fishhoppafishhoppa Member Posts: 30
    "Let's say Capitol One is loaning you this money. They have a "draft" for you to be able to fill out to whichever dealer you want. However, they are not funds. CapOne may typically put the money into the dealer's account within 24-48 hours, but they also have a clause where the money can be taken back if for any reason you don't fulfill all your obligations. I.e. anything goes wrong with transaction, wrong address, wrong income, insurance, titling problems, etc.

The dealer has no assurances that the money won't bounce back until roughly 10 days have passed. They are protecting their interests and making sure that they get all the money and keep it. "

Hi, Is this the same as with a Credit Union? We were pre-approved for great rate fro a new car loan (up to a certain $$ amount which is clearly listed on the blank check. They pulled our credit reports, requested supporting docs, and approved our loan request. So, my question is why would the dealer not want to accept this type of payment? Also, why would it be necessary for the dealer to pull my credit again, especially when I am not requesting any extension of credit form that dealer?

Thanks in advance for clarifying!!
    Hi Fish,

Not always the same with Credit Unions. They will typically give certified funds which is different than the Cap One draft. However, it sounds like you got a draft from your C.U.

It also sounds like you're leaving out some of the story. You went to your local dealer and picked out a car. They ran your credit to verify that you are who you say you are. It was probably a 5 liner necessary to verify your identity. And then they declined to accept the draft?

Is that what happened?

Thanks, hope I can help here.
    Hi Fish,

Not always the same with Credit Unions. They will typically give certified funds which is different than the Cap One draft. However, it sounds like you got a draft from your C.U.

It also sounds like you're leaving out some of the story. You went to your local dealer and picked out a car. They ran your credit to verify that you are who you say you are. It was probably a 5 liner necessary to verify your identity. And then they declined to accept the draft?

Is that what happened?

Thanks, hope I can help here.

Hi madman, Thanks for your quick reply! I haven't gone through the purchase process yet. I was just actually wondering about the draft question because I've already been pre-approved with a blank check from my credit union. Just want to be prepared when I am ready to make that purchase.

Also curious as to how a dealer pulling someone's credit file can prove a person's identity just doesn't make sense to me. If they need to verify identity, wouldn't a government issued ID such as a DL and or passport be sufficient proof for confirming identity? I would think fraudulent SS numbers and cards are much more prevalant than fake US passports.

Anyhow, thanks again!
    Ahh ok, makes more sense.

In regards to the identity verification - it does a couple of things. Some banks won't allow you to verify funds, we run the credit and make sure that the potential buyer isn't a [non-permissible content removed]. If he hasn't paid his grandma for yardwork she did or if he has Pizza Hut listed for $20 delinquent, then we won't sell him a car without a cashier's check or certified funds. It also gives us an opportunity to see if we could actually save him money on his rate as well. I'm not sure why the dealership pulled yours though.

Good luck out there!
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    we run the credit and make sure that the potential buyer isn't a [non-permissible content removed]. If he hasn't paid his grandma for yardwork she did or if he has Pizza Hut listed for $20 delinquent, then we won't sell him a car without a cashier's check or certified funds

LOL

"Listen [non-permissible content removed], pay your grandma for the yardwork she did for you, and pay Pizza Hut the $20 you owe them" the we'll talk about a car loan.

I've seen many not so good credit reports during the past year. The ones that usually have no chance of approvals from our banks are:

Behind on child supprort. If you don't pay for your own kids, then chances are you won't pay for a car either.

Money owing to payday loan places: If you borrow money from a payday loan place because nobody else will lend you money in the first place and you don't return that money in 2 -4 weeks, and it goes to collections, then how is anyone else gonna lend you any money especially on a 5 or 6 year term.

Behind on car payments with a sub prime car financing company. Sometimes last chances are really last chances. Focus on paying those late payments off first before even thnking of shopping for another car.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Also curious as to how a dealer pulling someone's credit file can prove a person's identity just doesn't make sense to me.

Doesn't make sense to me either, I can pull out a drivers license, voter ID card, several credit cards with my name on them, an FOID card and my work ID (state issued BTW) that can all establish my identity. There is no need to run a credit report.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    "...Now on your idea of 0%....I am sure the rebate would be higher than $1500..."

Nope. That's the choice I had from Mitsubishi. I would normally take the rebate and pay cash but they offered to finance EVERYTHING including the sales tax at 0%. I ran it through the online calculators and they all say go for the 0%. I figure I can make back at least $1500 in the next 5 years and I still have the cash for a rainy day.

I just thought from your statement that I had missed something.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

In regards to the identity verification - it does a couple of things. Some banks won't allow you to verify funds, we run the credit and make sure that the potential buyer isn't a [non-permissible content removed]. If he hasn't paid his grandma for yardwork she did or if he has Pizza Hut listed for $20 delinquent, then we won't sell him a car without a cashier's check or certified funds. It also gives us an opportunity to see if we could actually save him money on his rate as well. I'm not sure why the dealership pulled yours though.

Hi Madman, The dealer didn't pull my credit - it was my credit union that pulled my credit report along with requesting docs to pre-approve my loan. So, would there still be need for the dealer to pull if I'm not financing or requesting cerdit through them? I'm just more of a private person when it comes to my personal finances, hence, only securing a loan through my bank -- which also carries my mortgage -- versus a stranger where I do not have an on-going business relationship. (No offense to any F&I guys or dealers here!).

Thanks again! I am definitely going to more prepared this time around with my car purchase!
    Exactly what I was thinking... Each unecessary inquiry lowers your FICO and stays on your report for 2 years. I'm wondering if famous people go through this too.. LOL