Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    Maybe so, but you're comparing a diesel to a gas engine! You're also comparing your old Toyota to your new Nissan!

Hey, I like Nissan's cars, but they ARE a little weak in the SUV line.
  • kertuckkertuck Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 98 4Runner a month ago. I had never driven one before and wasn't quite sure what to expect. Needless to say, I thought that I had gotten a great deal and was very satisfied with my purchase. However, I have now had a passenger, who happens to be a 4Runner owner, that tells me that the noise in my wheel is not normal. The truck drives fine and handles well...but it does have a noise that accelerates as the tires do. I thought it was simply the tires. He says no. Any ideas? Or should I call a mechanic right away? Thanks for your help!
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    Had go back and check. I WAS comparing the 2003 Pathfinder with the 2003 4Runner. I can't help it if Nissan isn't offering a V8. Just like I can't help it if Toyota isn't offering a diesel in the 4Runner like MB offers.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    I love when people that don't own a 4Runner come on this board and slam it. Yes, the 4Runner tends to downshift on hills. Besides the (by today's standard) low power the gearing with the 0.705 overdrive makes the engine turn over quite low at highway speeds, for better fuel economy. On my 4Runner I am running 2,000 RPM at 67 MPH. Yes, downshifting when the cruise control is on and on steep hills and with a lot of stuff is a problem.

Since were slamming here. Lets talk about the great Mercedes. I remember when I was looking for a SUV in 2000, I read Consumer Reports. As I recall, the Mercedes SUV was like 150% worse than average on reliability, while the 4Runner was 78% better than average. In other words the Mercedes reliability was in the toilet.

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/mbquality.htm

I also considered the Nissan Pathfinder. Here are a few things I didn't like.

1.) Power Steering, not being speed sensitive, felt over assisted at highway speeds. It felt like my parents Buick, (not a good thing).

2.) Crash tests were OK to Marginal while the 4Runner was Good.

3.) Pathfinder had a small trunk and a small payload.

4.) No frame, but a uni-body. Some people desire a full frame, like me.

5.) Use of premium fuel, I didn't like paying 20 cents more for each gallon I used.

Now you noticed I didn't slam the Mercedes and Nissan on their boards, but since your visiting I felt it was OK to respond.

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I went to the Washington DC auto show yesterday, and they had a new 4.0 V6, Multi-Mode 4WD Limited on display. I understand they're still about a month away from being at the dealers, according to one of the sales reps there.

Question for Cliffy, or anyone else in the know:

While there I was eying up a Tacoma Double Cab with 4Demand 4WD. Two of the Toyota sales reps there swore that the Tacoma 4Demand has full-time 4WD capability, that you could drive it year-round in 4WD without any adverse axle binding, etc. Is that true? If so, that's great to know.

Bob
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Try and sit in a 3rd gen 4Runner...pure quality and solid structure.

Did you know that the rear door armrest on the Pathfinder/QX4 is hard plastic??!! Cheap.

Look at Pathfinder's suspension components...cheap. Stamped steel front control arms. Wimpy shocks. Thin skidplates.

Cheap Unibody structure. Just does NOT feel solid when you close the doors!

Interior materials felt cheap. Hey, where's that rear legroom??

Payload sucks. Many quality issues. Oh yeah, can you even drive with All-Mode 4wd at highway speed???? Gear-whine. Cheap 4wd system. Sorry, actually, AWD system...that's right, all-wheel drive!

Oh yeah, how's your RESALE value?? Why do you think the Pathfinder with the CAR-based engine cost less than the 4Runner???????

Need i say more?
    Thanks, that's what I thought too, part-time only. However, both these "Toyota" reps swore otherwise—and I pressed them on this issue too.

That being the case, and since there is a 4WD *button* on the transfer case gear shift, can you operate the vehicle in 2WD low range? The way it's set up, it looks as if you can?? If you don't put the 4WD button, but move the transfer case into low, it would seem that you would have a 2WD low mode. Is that incorrect?

Bob
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Actually the Pathfinder was my second choice. Yes, I had those 5 issues with it, but it doesn't suck, of course neither does the 4Runner. I don't know what it is about Pathfinder owners coming on this board and slamming the 4Runner. Maybe it is a inferiority complex. I mean I don't go on the Pathfinder board and tell them the Pathfinder sucks.

------------------------------------

Off-Subject: Intmed99, after reading some of your posts in the last 6 months, I am guessing you started a NEW 4Runner board for owners of the 4Runner. Are you part of the new 4Runner board or am I just making a terrible guess? Either way I hope www.toyota-4runner.org finds a good following.
    Yup, i started that board over a month ago. I needed a place to put all of my "interests" into. I had a lot of information stored on various sites, so by doing this, all is where i want it to be. In addition, i like car-debates....

I am Thai on that website. I would be more than happy to see a fellow 3rd gen owner on that board!
    On my 4Runner, whenever i shift into 4-LO, the 4wd system automatically turns on. However, i tried only once. Conclusion: i am not sure.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    The V6 is actually out now. We have them.

Also whatever Toyota rep told you that about the Tacoma was on drugs.
    What is it about car shows, that causes manufacturers or dealers to put their most inept personnel out there to represent their wares? I had the same experience talking to reps from other brands too.

Arrugh!

Bob
  • kertuckkertuck Member Posts: 2
    I am still interested in any info on wheel bearing problems.
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    Well, I moved out from 2002 4runner Ltd to 2002 Pathfinder LE. I think every people has different view with their cars or brands. None of these sucks or are cheap, it's just what we feel when we look at it. If we don't like the vechile than we give negative thoughts. Pathfinder is as good as any SUV's out there as well as 4runner. Both have weakness and plus side. One thing I didn't like about 4runner was the power and when going up hill it kept shifting to downshift which bothered me a lot, but rest were perfect. However, with pathfinder no downshift at all and I'm happy with that, but has lot of rattlings from dash and steering column. Well, I am used to it. Both are great anyways.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Lo mode on all of the Toyota 4wd vehicles will always be in 4wd lo. they don't have the ability to go into low mode without being in 4wd. It engages the transfer case (or center differential) in 4WD and uses lower gearing. I'm not at work right now, so don't hold me to this, but as far as I know most of the systems need you to actually engage the 4wd hi before shifting the lever into the low range.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    I owned a '98 which developed a noise that sounded exactly like a wheel bearing beginning to go bad. It turned out to be very mild cupping of the front tires. When I rotated the tires front to rear, the noise all but went away.

Often, a wheel bearing that's gotten rough can be diagnosed by swerving the vehicle back and forth in broad arcs, so you load first one side, then the other. If the noise changes as you load, then unload each side, likely it is a wheel bearing. For example, if the bad bearing is on the left and you turn left, you're unloading the bad bearing and the noise will diminish.

Good luck. My '98 was a great truck. I hope my '03 will turn out to be as reliable.

-Karl
    A couple of things you might consider:

The first thing I think of anytime there's a problem shifting a manual tranny is that the clutch isn't fully disengaging. If the clutch engages when the pedal is very low in its travel, this is likely to be the problem. Try jacking up the rear wheels, engaging 1st or 2nd gear, then depressing the clutch pedal. If the wheels don't stop turning within a couple of seconds, you've diagnosed it. Most likely either a clutch bleed job or adjustment of the pushrod for the clutch master cylinder will cure the problem, although it could be a mechanical problem with the clutch itself.

I've cured problems shifting when cold on two cars by draining the factory tranny lube and replacing it with Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic gear lube. The difference in one case (Porsche 944) was just unbelieveable. If Toyota says 75w-90 is OK for your tranny, I'd sure give it a try.

Good luck.

-Karl
    How come the '02 4Runner did not have the JBL sound system??? It seems like every other Toyota has the JBL as an option, including Highlander (similar 6-speaker setup). I was disappointed when i heard the JBL system in the Highlander. The 4Runner sure cost a lot...and yet, it did not have the JBL option. Thanks.

Also, do you know the power rating on the 2002 4Runner Limited radio??
    Sorry, can't answer that one.
  • superleggerasuperleggera Member Posts: 74
    Anyone know if you can really get a better deal by buying two vehicles at once? I have a family member who is also interested in a 4Runner. Could we get a significantly better deal if we went in together and bought at the same time? Any thoughts on bargaining under this circumstance?
  • falcon74falcon74 Member Posts: 67
    First, when will the same color cladding be offered on the SR5? I was surprised/disappointed to see only the stone and taupe colors offered in the limited. Although they look nice, they are impractible because they are so light colored, they will be a pain to keep clean in areas such as the cargo area and floor mats. Any reasons why they didn't offer the darker charcoal color in the limited?
    Thanks.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    ;X>?;ent shifter fork, it wasn't covered. My warranty was long over by then. I think the bent shifter fork problem was a "freak" thing. The dealer didn't know what it was until they cracked it open and found it. Lovely!

One other occurance that is common, the "U" shaped bracket that holds the clutch pedal assembly inside, is known to crack. This causes the linkage to not always completely engage. It feels similar to the shifter fork problem and as if the clutch just went out. The fix for this is a lot cheaper than the bent shifter fork. They just have to replace and weld in the "U" bracket. I know 2 other people that this has happened to.

I would think that the cold weather probably amplifies your symptoms, or at least until the vehicle has warmed up a bit.
    1. I'm not sure
    2. I don't know

Sorry 'bout that. I'll let you know when I find out a time frame on the cladding.
    Check out this link:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128

3rd Gen is mighty capable! :-)

• socal007socal007 Member Posts: 23
    I have a friend who works at Penske Toyota in So Cal......He says that they are painting the cladding to match.
    Didn't indicate the cost $$
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Should have been "bent shifter fork". Oops.
  • masuzamasuza Member Posts: 4
    I'm new to the 4Runner discussions, so I hope this is not a redundant topic. My wife and I are looking at several types of SUV's right now and the 4Runner is one of them. From the first time I sat in one(both driver and passenger sides)I felt that the headroom was quite poor in comparison to the size of the vehicle in general. The top of my head was about 3 inches from the headliner, even with the seat adjusted as low as it would allow. I'm just over 5'10" and I don't have this problem in any other vehicles I have sat in so far.

M
  • andrews928andrews928 Member Posts: 64
    I'm 5'11 and the headroom was more than adequate. I have an Rx300, headroom 38.1". The 4Runner has 39.7" and a Nissan Pathfinder 38"(By the way I have "tall" hair.) What other vehicles have you checked out??
    Hi Masuza. Others have commented on a perception that the headroom is less than it should be. Frankly, I don't understand this, as I'm 6'2" with a 33" inseam and the headroom in our '03 Limited is perfectly adequate for me. Not to argue, but why would more than 3" of headroom be desirable?

In any event, you may want to try sitting in the Lexus GX470, which has finally reached the dealers. It's mechanically the same vehicle, with several alterations to the bodywork, including a higher roofline.

Regards,

-Karl
  • canjarcanjar Member Posts: 1
    Hi - I've just purchased a 01 4runner and I installed a roof rack this weekend. I notice a wind whistling noise when I drive now, and it doesn't seem to go away no matter how I adjust the rack. Is this normal for all racks? Any fixes? Thanks - Mark
  • masuzamasuza Member Posts: 4
    It really is a matter of perception, since the 4Runner does boast more interior space than some of vehicle we have checked out. A few other shoppers at the San Francisco Auto Show a few weeks ago had similar views about Toyota's in general. I did not sit in all of them so I can't make the same general comment. We have also looked at the XC90, Pathfinder, RX300, Murano, and the Explorer. Right now it seems to come down to the 4Runner and the XC90 for us. The Volvo has 40.1" of headroom in the front seat, which does not amount to much more than the 4Runner. Are those measurements from floor to roof? It seems that the position of the seat(high or low)within that space is what gives a sense of roominess. Are the seats oriented high within the 4Runner to give more of a truck/4x4 feel?

thanks for the feedback
    M
  • toddgreentoddgreen Member Posts: 9
    I'm like you, the headroom in the 4Runner is really pushing the limits for me. I'm just shy of 6' and with the seats powered all the way down in my '03 Limited, my head almost brushes the ceiling if the seat back is straight up (as I prefer when I drive). My solution was to angle the seat back slightly and make the necessary seat/steering adjustments to get back a little farther so my head is underneath the moon roof completely, which gives a little more space. I can't sit in the back seat comfortably without slouching.

Test drove the XC90 the same day I got the 4Runner. If they had one in inventory, I would have driven off the lot with it and never looked back. Safety features are absolutely amazing. Nav system was poor compared to Toyota (and Acura on my previous car). And even with all that twin-turbo horsepower, accel is mediocre with the 4-spd trans. Still, it's the SUV I'd buy for my wife. I think it might survive a near-miss with a tacnuke.

I looked at everything on your list except the RX300, plus the Acura MDX. Like I said, if not for the 2-3 month wait for the Volvo, I would have bought it. But I hadn't been in the 4Runner at that point in the day, either. Having driven them both I couldn't say either was a bad choice, but I know I made the right choice for me.

Stay safe!
  • jeffjeffjeffjeff Member Posts: 54
    I've noticed that as the weather gets colder the amount of miles that I can drive on one tank in my 4Runner goes down. I used to average about 300 miles to a tank, now I'm getting 260-270 miles to the tank. How does colder weather technically affect the amount of gas a vehicle uses? My Runner has approx. 4000 miles on it so I guess it's still being broken in, so my gas mileage may go up in time, but for now, can someone please explain to me the effect colder weather has on any vehicle?
    A great effect of the cold weather on gas milage is the amount of time it takes for the engine to warm up. The engine isn't at its most efficient until it is warm. So when the weather is cold, it takes MUCH longer to warm up, and therefore alot longer until it gets to the point where it is most efficient.

Ken
  • stephend2stephend2 Member Posts: 21
    I'm wondering how useful the ride eight air system would be for towing. Could one not just use equalizer bars instead. We are ordering a sr5 sport and are having second thoughts about getting the limited just for the ride adjustment feature. In Canada its not available as a separate option but just as a complete limited package. We are not going to be towing often but it will be heavy when we do. Any one with towing experience out there. thanks in advance
    steve d
  • stephend2stephend2 Member Posts: 21
    read ride height leveling system
    steve d
  • sween77sween77 Member Posts: 31
    Does anybody know if the new mono-clading option will be available fo the Sport? All I have been hearing about is the sr5.
    The color keyed cladding will either be an option or may be standard on the SR5 model. From what I've heard, it has not yet been decided as of yet. However, the grey cladding will still be the only available option on the Sport trim level. They are keeping the image of that trim level sporty, so keeping the grey cladding.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • jere39jere39 Member Posts: 20
    Here in the corners of PA (near Phl, Pitt, and WB/Scranton) our state gov has edicted oxygenated gas for the months of October to May. Among the things that this gas offers us is a de facto 10% reduction in gas mileage. Much of October is still warm weather here, and most of May is too. I live within 3 miles of the boundary and whenever possible, I drive three miles all winter long to purchase the more typical winter blend. Mileage is a quantifiable difference, less precisely I am convinced I get better performance from this real gas too. You might want to check into the mix of your fuel supply during the winter months.
    Jere
  • sween77sween77 Member Posts: 31
    Can you get XREAS on SR5 models? Does anyone know for sure?
    No, the XREAS suspension is only available on the sport and limited models of the '03 4Runner.
  • bob_97v6_5spdbob_97v6_5spd Member Posts: 2
    First post here....I just bought a 97 v6 5spd with 72K for 15K. Any one else have a 97 and specifically a 5speed? I will be pulling a boat and I live in Maryland. Anyone know a good place to have fun with it offroad in my area? And of course any problems/concerns anyone has with this year or any with the 5speed would be appreciated. I still have yet to really ride it but I'll keep whoever's interested what I observe as well.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard! I'm sure with all the 4Runner owners here someone will be able to help you out.

tidester, host
    Just be careful with the 5 speed when towing. That clutch is hydraulic (as are most trucks of this size) and it is VERY easy to cook it on a boat ramp. This is especially true on steep, slime covered ramps. If you ever use Aqualand marina at the 301 bridge, be REAL careful.

As for off-roading, there isn't a lot of opportunity around here. My only fun is on the farm where I have permission to hunt and even that is pretty mild.
  • sovangsovang Member Posts: 56
    A dealer in Colorado told me that all the 03 4runner bug deflectors have been recalled. Can anyone confirm this?

SV
  • bob_97v6_5spdbob_97v6_5spd Member Posts: 2
    you mean burn it out by winding it out? someone suggested going into 4Low for pulling out of steep boat ramps....do you think that would help? I drive an 89 with a 5 speed now and don't have problems but I don't tow with it really either....you mean burn the clutch out completely or some other part of the clutch mechanism? Should I just be sure not to ride the clutch as I pull the boat??? thanks.........
  • trdsctwotrdsctwo Member Posts: 67
    Took a 2003 4WD V6 Sport for short (10-15 minute) test drive last week. Here are some of my
    initial impressions and comparison with my current 96 4WD LTD S/C with 56,500 miles.
    1. I had trouble finding the emergency brake pedal (tiny) right off the bat.
    2. The seat felt low but well bolstered; after some adjustment I found a comfortable position.
    I loved the telescopic steering and overall feel and handling of the vehicle, it is very car-like
    and better than my 96 Runner (with Bilsteins) and 02 Sequoia.
    3. The interior materials were quite good but I am not a fan of the hard mottled plastics used
    on the dash. They are about the same quality as in my Sequoia but inferior to those used
    in the last generation 4-Runner.
    4. Power was adequate but not as good as in my current S/C Runner especially in initial
    acceleration but boy is it smmooooth!
    5. I did not take it out on any major highway so my top test speed was about 50mph. At this
    speed, noise of any kind was almost imperceptible.
    6. The sound system was excellent, as good or better than in my 2002 Sequoia; far superior
    to that in my current Runner.
    7. Overall, aside from some of my subjective styling complaints, I found it to be a very likeable
    vehicle. The handling was exceptional for an SUV of it size, weight and ground clearance and the V6 delivered silky smooth quiet power. IMO it is a much more civilized vehicle than
    the model it replaces.
    I guess the final question is; Am I willing to part with my current Runner for this new beast, be
    it V6 or V8???? The answer is no (for now). I will wait to see what new features and improvements come out in the next couple of years.
  • mauicedarmauicedar Member Posts: 34
    I've spent several hours reading the posts before I bought the 4Runner today. Great source of information. Thanks to all. I haven't been able to find any information on the Anniversary Edition. Was it the Tenth year of the 4Runner? Does anyone know how many Toyota Anniversary Ed sold? One other thing, the owners manual recommends 10 miles a month in 4 wheel drive. Can I do this on the highway at 50 mph in 4 wheel high on dry roads? The first owners only had the truck in 4 wheel drive one time in four years. Will that give any problems? It was serviced by Toyota every 3,000 miles.
    sherry
    Aloha, Sherry. We just traded a '98 Limited in on our new '03 Limited. The '98 was a wonderful vehicle and still looked and felt like new at 5 years and 75K miles, including extensively towing a heavy trailer.

Wasn't aware there was such a thing as a 10th Anniversary Edition, so can't help you there. However, I do have a couple of tips:

You're probably aware that your 4Runner has part-time 4WD, which must not be used on dry pavement unless you're driving straight ahead. If you use 4WD on dry pavement and go around anything more than the very gentlest of curves, the drivetrain will bind, possibly causing damage. You can engage 4WD at any speed below 55 mph (if you're going too fast, it'll beep at you and won't engage) and drive at any speed once in 4WD. But I'd wait until a rainy day (or go to dirt roads) to do the 10 4WD miles per month. I have to confess that I didn't always do my 10 miles per month and it didn't seem to hurt anything.

Your 4Runner uses wheels which are lugcentric, and needs a special adapter (made by a company named Haweka) to be used when balancing the wheels, such as when you get new tires or have a flat fixed. Toyota dealers are supposed to have these adapters, but they're very hard to find otherwise. In my experience, you're not likely to get a good wheel balance job if the adapter isn't used, and your truck will have the shakes.

Good luck with your truck. I sure liked mine.

-Karl