Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you when to do stuff, and will estimate what it should cost.

Try a search engine for other sites - our beancounters frown on giving free ads to competing forums. Thanks!

Steve, Host

• irishmist67irishmist67 Member Posts: 3
    I am planning to purchase either a sr5 v8 4x4 or the sport v8 4x4; any thoughts on which is the better choice? Also, I will be purchasing this in TN .. has anyone purchased a 4runner in TN and if so would you share your price?

Thanks
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    The Sport includes the X-REAS suspension package, the 17" wheels/tires and slightly upgraded front brakes. Otherwise, it's pretty much cosmetics, like the nonfunctional hood scoop, different upholstery fabric and such.

IMHO, the suspension and brake upgrades are very worthwhile.

-Karl, '03 Limited V8 4WD 4Runner, Titanium
  • sovangsovang Member Posts: 56
    Does anyone know if there is a TRD S/C for the new 03 4runner v8? I would like to getone if it exists.

SV
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    They do have a S/C for the V8 for the tundra and I think the Sequoia. It's the same engine, but I don't know if the plumbing is different for the new runner though. You might be able to check the TRD site. I think it's around $4000 - $5000.
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    Awhile back I had several posts concerning the downshifting issues with my 2002 Limited 4x4 and I have some answers and another question?

On my 99 SR5 I never used or had to use the ECT button that is up on the dash because I did not have the downshift problems,but, after talking with Toyota and a pretty savy service tech, I have found that in the 2002 year that the Toyota/ emissions went LEV and that's why the rpm's are slightly lower than my 99 when cruising. The power is still there ( I am happy and have always been because of the good torque and smoothness),but, hidden? I have found that using the ECT button that it changes the shift points and helps,but, the question is that if it would damage anything in the engine/transmission by driving it this way all the time? I drive in the city at slower speeds (40 and below),but, on the highway I drive anywhere between 55 and 110,so, I don't want to damage anything?
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    This does two things. First, it induces the transmission to downshift more readily when accelerating. Secondly, it typically has the transmission stay in the lower gears longer to have the engine stay further into its powerband when accelerating.

Now all of this is ONLY when accelerating. You should not see ANY difference when just going down the street at a constant speed. It will effect gas milage due to higher engine speeds when accelerating, but if most of your driving is highway, you should not see any major reduction of MPG.
    Funny, I always wondered if I would use this button. I have about 4500 miles and I just checked my gas mileage and I am getting about 18.5 mpg with 70% fwy driving at 75+.

Thanks...
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    will not damage the trans to drive with it on all the time, but it might wear it a little more due to more shifting (down when you hit the gas). I am sure it will be fine to do so.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Thanks to both for the ECT info:)
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    There has been much discussion (on other forums) in the past about Toyota's VSC (stability control) being off in favor of ABS when slipping while going into a corner and putting on your brakes.

My view:

VSC (stability control) usually detects a slip BEFORE the driver is aware of it. Therefore, it will intervene "subconciously". It will make small corrections even before the driver is aware that the car has drifted.

With regard to braking and slipping in a corner at the same time, i do NOT see the point of having skid control on WHILE braking.

For example, if you're exiting the highway at high speed onto a ramp, and your car slides out, the MAIN concern at this time to slow the car down. At this point, you have one or more wheel withOUT traction. Let's just say that the driver is aware of slipping and put on the brakes. At this moment, you want the car to slow down or stop. So, what matters MOST at this time is applying brake to the wheel with MOST traction. So, what does that mean??

Well, the 4Runner (and other SUVs) have ELECTRONIC BRAKEFORCE DISTRIBUTION (aka EBD). In the situation above, this system/computer will send brake power to the wheel with MOST traction to slow your car down. ABS will then pump these wheels.

If VSC was still engaging, then it will REALLY confused the computer...it is sending brake power to the wheel(s) with most traction (via EBD)...YET, those wheel(s) with traction may NOT be the wheels needed for skid control!! So, what is more important?? Two scenerios:

1. Trying to slow down while cornering with braking power going to the wheel to control the skid (stability control ON while braking), which may NOT be the wheel with traction. Therefore, it maybe useless! Your car is NOT slowing down because braking power may be diverted to wheels withOUT traction in an attempt to control the skid; or

2. Trying to slow down while cornering with braking power going to the wheel with MOST traction via EBD and ABS. You car will then slow/stop.

Well, i prefer scenerio #2.

What do you guys think? Does the above make sense??
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I hate to beg the question, but why would you exit at such a high rate of speed to make your 4rnr skid.? Actually, there are other options. Down shifting to 3rd may use the
    engine as a brake and let the VSC keep on working and slow you down without using the brake. The time to down shift is as you exit the highway before getting onto the ramp.
  • amara2amara2 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I am the proud owner of a 2003 sport V8 model. The rig is great...on the road.
    However as soon as I tried to bring it to the trail, I run into issues. Any help will be appreciated.

I wanted to change the tires (265/65/17)for a mud/snow combination and found out that there is no other tire that fit this rig on the planet!! Not even snow tires And in Vermont/Maine trails lately the stock tires do not cut it.
    Does anyone know Toyota/Dunlop plans for upgrades?

I also wanted to add some extra lights and maybe someone knows what is the cranking power of the battery and strength of the alternator and tell me (could not find it on Toyota web site) if I can fit two set of lights on it without any additional battery (and voiding the warranty).

Sincerely,

Amara
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    A few options IF you go to 265/70/17 size. I know BFGoodrich AT KO tires come in that size...they are pretty good in snow.
  • chidofuchidofu Member Posts: 21
    I had the same experience regarding the 6 CD changer. My salesman told me that the Nav system came with the premium sound system and a 6 disk changer. I didn't even question this. Of course it doesn't.

I am having similar problems finding anyone to install a CD changer in my vehicle. I don't know why it would be a problem or why it didn't come with the vehicle. If anyone finds a changer than can be installed or can shed some light on why it didn't have one in the first place I would like to hear it.

Thanks.
  • chortonchorton Member Posts: 149
    vsc is a very complicated system it works with more than just the brakes it also can controll throttle, it senses g-force yaw rate the direction of travel and the angle of steering. edb is designed more for straight skids rather than turns. as for the nav system with the 6-disc. your salesperson must have been misinformed or just lying. there isn't even a factor option to get the two of them together, the nav system is pretty complex, and I'm not sure what type of changer you are looking at buy I would guess they have a problem tapping into the system. with the nav system there probably isnt a port for any "input" accesories
  • brestlebrestle Member Posts: 22
    Anyone have feedback on the MPG on a V6 4WD? I love the V8 engine, but the vast majority of my driving (95%) will be on roads where I definitely don't need 4WD (the other 5% I definitely need the 4WD). So I really like the option on the V6 to switch into 2WD (whereas the V8 is full-time 4WD).

While Toyota claims a V6 will get 2MPG more than the V8, I have to imagine it would be more. That, along with more expensive insurance for the V8 (and the fact I don't tow anything), make me lean toward the V6.

A dealer is trying to tell me that they will be much closer in MPG since the V8 has more torque and you won't have to push the engine as much on the low end. Truth or is he trying to get me to buy one of the V8s on the lot?

Thanks!

Chris
  • jere39jere39 Member Posts: 20
    Curiously, I found the cargo cover to be a significant pain when using the cargo area with one or both seats folded. I removed mine from my 97 sr5 about the 4th day I owned it. I cannot confirm it would fit a 98, but I own an almost unused one I've had in the box my hood deflector shield came in, in my basement since August 1997.
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    So the 4Runner wasn't LEV before 02? I thought I remember reading somewhere that all Toyota SUVs were at least LEV a few years ago.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    due to the relative designs of the two, you will have to rev the V-6 more to get the power out of it, and that is the expectation if you get that engine. In that case, it is true the mileage figures might not be far different.

OTOH, if you are someone who is not in the habit of burying the pedal, you will probably make better mileage than the EPA sticker.

amara - you could also go to 275/60/17's, which are stock size for a number of vehicles including the new LC...there will be a wider variety of tires available consequently.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    110? You must live in Montana.
    The V6 has more HP than the V8 245/235 at similar RPM 5200/4800 however the peak torque is opposite the V6 has 283 lb.-ft.@ 3400 RPM while the V8 has 320lb.-ft. @ 3400 rpm. Both have sufficient power for most buyers. The gas mileage estimates can vary a lot,depends on how you drive. In easy driving situations the V6 should get better mileage(keep in mind the displacement difference is only .7-liters) The larger concern to me would be which one COSTS more, They will both make you happy. Sounds to me like I would go with the V6 in your situation though. No need for the torque of the V8.
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    Toy is just releasing LC in Europe, there's a review of it in Feb CAR. It looks a dead ringer for the GX470, which of course is 4R. So my questions, is that really true? If yes, what happens to the N/A LC? Will it be discontinued?

BTW, that LC has a diesel engine, with puny hp by N/A standards!
  • jbwhjbwh Member Posts: 8
    The rest of the world (outside of North America) has had two sizes of Land Cruiser since the early eighties (or longer). The smaller one goes by the name "Land Cruiser Prado". Our new 4Runner is built on the same proven-in chassis as the Prado, but with a new body, engine & interior. The new Lexus GX470 *is* the recently updated Prado - with different badges & more leather. We in North America get more powerful engine options (and no diesel), but it is the same rig. The big Land Cruiser is due for a re-design, but it's probably not going away anytime soon.
  • ozzmanozzman Member Posts: 3
    I just had my first oil change on my 2003 Limited. The owners guide recommends to use 5W-30. When I brought it to the Toyota dealer, they claimed 10W-30 was recommended for vehicles in warmer climates. Get the strong feeling he told me this since he didn't carry 5W-30 oil. Should I be concerned about this ? Also owners manual states first oil change at 7,500 miles but I changed at 3K.
  • chidofuchidofu Member Posts: 21
    Check out this link:

http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/vehicles/matrix/

According to the information there you can get the Toyota Nav system on the matrix along with a 6 Disk Changer. Why would it be possible to connect a changer to the Nav system on the Matrix and not on the 4runner? Would they purchase/manufacture different Nav systems for different cars?

Also, I have read that you can play DVDs on the Nav screens on the LX470 and Landcruiser. Why not on the 4runner? It can't be cost effective to install different systems on all of these cars.

Does anyone else experience long cranking before the truck will start in cold weather? I was also wondering what would happen if the truck doesn't start.....how long does the auto-crank hold the key in the start position?

SV
  • toddgreentoddgreen Member Posts: 9
    It hasn't gone much below 20 or so here since I got my '03 but I've had no problems so far. The auto-crank doesn't hold the key in position at all. You just twist and release ... the truck's electronics do all the rest. It is actually pretty neat, one of those "gadget" things to impress your friends.
    about the auto start is that it won't let you try to activate the starter if the engine is already running. that noise is always terrible
    I assumed it will time out if the truck doesn't start. I guess it could just keep cranking until you run out of juice too.

SV
  • tfuzztfuzz Member Posts: 93
    The cranking time limit is 30 seconds, but mine has always started within a couple of seconds, even in the cold.
  • jbhncjbhnc Member Posts: 16
    Saw one other post on a sunroof rattle. Has anyone had this problem and repaired it? What was it.

My sunroof started rattling when driving on gravel and it has gotten much worse in the last week, making noise on fairly smooth surface roads.

Thanks - J
    The cranking time limit is 30 seconds, but mine has always started within a couple of seconds, even in the cold.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Yes, the oil grade should be 5W-30, period. Car companies like lighter oils mainly to save fuel. Some Honda and Ford products now recommend 5W-20.

I also think we would be amazed what dealers and oil change places really put in our car. On my older high mileage Honda and Acura I use 5W-30 in the winter and 10W-30 in the summer. I put 5W-30 Mobil One in the 4Runner.

I think it can be argued that 10W-30 is a better oil. More stable and less prone to break down. On the other hand car companies are wanting to put oil with the viscosity of water in your car. In the grand scheme of things, 10W-30 should be fine.

When to change oil, some say it is old school to go 3,000 miles while others go much further. Modern engines do a lot more than ever before. I bet the Toyota's that had sludge in their 3.0 V6 might wish they went with the 3,000 mile oil change. I am from the old school and like 3,000 mile oil change. I know a lot of auto experts are now saying 5,000 miles. That may be a good compromise. I would NEVER exceed your recommended 7,500. I know one person who posted on the sludge board here at Edmunds that had a Lexus RX 300 and he used Amsoil and went 25,000 miles before he changed oil. Amsoil has a 25,000 mile warranty. Well the engine sludged up and guess what neither Amsoil or Lexus would fix his car.

• mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    With the amount of torque the new V6 puts out, I can't imagine it would have to work too hard. 283 lbs is quite a lot.
  • andrews928andrews928 Member Posts: 64
    Check out the new review from Edmunds on the 4Runner. They mention the lack of a 3rd row seat, then say it would probably be VERY short on legroom anyways. In the summary pro's/con's they list the lack of a 3rd row seat as a con. How do you win on that logic??
    Not to mention the total lack of cargo room and suspect safety of a 3rd row seat in the 4rnr. I guess they have to have something negative to say or they haven't done their job.
    Cool! That's the exact same model I got, except mine is "Galactic Gray" and I didn't pay almost $200 for floormats. If I had it to do over, I would have gone for the Titanium color ... the darker gray shows road dirt more than I had hoped.

Zero to sixty in 7.6? Can't wait to go play with my Expedition- and Suburban-piloting friends.

Stay safe!
    I have the Titanium. It shows dirt, too. It's too light a color to really hide road dirt well. I had the same thoughts about wishing I had bought Galactric Gray so it would hide dirt better.
  • acissaciss Member Posts: 1
    I just pickup up a V6 Limited 4Runner because it just blew me away during the test drive. Having said that, I am hoping that someone can help me with a few questions:

1) for you stereo junkies out there, that are familiar with the JBL 10 speaker 6 cd changer stereo system, Is there a way to get rid of the beeping sound when you use the steering wheel buttons to go from one Preset Radio Station to another. I go from station to station quite often and the beep is driving me crazy!!!

2) On the Driver Door side why aren't the side view mirror adjustment buttons and the door lock and window buttons illuminated when the light systems is engaged??? - currently only the "auto" driver side window button lights up. Is there any way to illuminate the other buttons? I just find it strange to have all these features and technology that the 4runner comes with and not have something as simple as illuminated buttons on the door for both driver and passenger?

3) would be nice to have a light when you open the hood so if your in a poorly lit area and you need to put in engine coolant or winshield wiper fluid - you can see what your doing.

I don't mean to sound negative but for the $$$'s that the vehicle costs and all the touting of the technology and that attention to detail, you would think that these simple things would be addressed - have I missed something?? Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
  • bclements3bclements3 Member Posts: 1
    I find these mirrors very helpful, however they are a bit large, and I find myself manually turning them in from time to time for tight parking spaces and what not.

I drive a v8 4x4 sr5 2003, and there a few extra buttons on the dash and on the middle console, it would be cool if one could setup a motor to turn the mirrors in & out with the touch of a button.

Any thoughts on this and how hard such a setup would be?

Thanks,

-Bill
    Paint: most road muck is light in color; my Acura CL Type S is black and it looks bad after 100mi of driving even on a dry day.

Mirrors: I'm very happy with the '03 4Runner mirrors, they actually show the entire blind spot next to the car if set up well (angled outward about as far as they'll go).
  • trdsctwotrdsctwo Member Posts: 67
    I had the same problem with my 2002 Sequoia, only it would not start at all when the temperature was below 7C. Whenever there was frost on the windshield I knew that trying to start it would be a waste of time until the temperature
    increased. This problem persisted for the first 9 months of owning the vehicle. Why you may ask would someone put
    up with this inconvenience for so long? I had it in the dealer's service department on 4 different occasions before they
    figured out the problem. During that time they replaced all of the ignition components and the ECU. To make a long
    story short, they finally found the problem after they removed the dash, it turned out that 2 wires leading to the electronic engine immoblilizer were bent and barely making contact with the "amplifier" part of this system courtesy
    of the fine assemblers at the Indiana plant. Alls well that ends well I guess.
    PS I did think that the problem had been resolved in the 3 previous occasions since I live in an area where the temperature rarely goes that low between May and October.
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    Aciss, 'fraid you'll just have to get used to the beep. Toyota audio systems have long used the "beep" to signal a change in mode. In this case, if you just blip the button you get no beep, but the radio goes into scan mode. To get the next preset, you have to hold down the button an instant, until the beep signifies that it's happened. Personally, I wish they'd done it the other way around.

I agree the mirror/door lock/window controls could use more lights. However, the unlit controls that REALLY bug me are the Homelink buttons. There's no light at all up there and no nearby reference point that's readily identifiable by touch. I'm about ready to revert to the garage door transmitter on the sun visor!

-Karl
    khaug--Have you considered getting some glow-in-the-dark paint and putting a small spot on the Homelink button(s)? You might even be able to put one, two and three dots to match the buttons. Paint might wear off pretty quick, though. You could also put a glow-in-the-dark stick-on right next to the button, which shouldn't wear off.

I too found the button hard to find at first, but I finally got used to it and can pretty much punch it without looking now. However, my wife still fumbles for it, so I might try the above myself.
  • northpolermikenorthpolermike Member Posts: 3
    I agree with you, aciss. I took delivery of a V-6 Sport with Dark Charcoal interior. It's hard to find the buttons on the Driver's Door because they are black and get lost blending in with the dark door panel. Even the Auto window button is dimly lit.

Up here in North Pole,Alaska, we're in that time of year with only about 4 hours of day light, so it's important to find your way around in a dark cabin. Guess I'll just have to learn where all those buttons are by memory.

For under the hood needs, I've got a bright portable light that plugs into the 12 volt adapter, which can also light things up in the dark outside the vehicle ie change a tire in the dark.

Aciss, you probably paid at least $4k more for your Limited than I paid for my Sport. Those were some of the deficient items that steered me away from the Limited. Perhaps Toyota will listen to our concerns and incorporate the spirit of contenting these small items into future production. But I sure like this vehicle over the competition (Explorer, Trail Blazer, Discovery, Pathfinder, Durango,etc. etc) for its handling, quality, fit and finish, and its performance on and off road beats them hands down!
    There are more than few items that could be better.
    How about an indicator that the fog lights are on ? How about being able to close the rear window with the key fob and not just open it ? How about using the horn beep to indicate locking / unlocking instead of the little tweety bird ?
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    This was just posted today on Toyota's dealer website. I thought I'd share the info.

Toyota Motor Sales is pleased to announce pricing for the new 4Runner Appearance
    Package option (AP)

Beginning with January production, the new Appearance Package will be available as
    an option on 4Runner SR5 models. The new package, consisting of color-keyed
    overfenders, cladding, bumpers and rear license plate garnish, broadens SR5 sales
    opportunities. MSRP for the Appearance Package is $370.

Hope this brightens a few of your days.

Ken