Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

The Rebirth of Buick.........

Comments

• cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    OK here it is. I think the car is everything the reviewers say it is!!!! The seats are comfy, the 3.0 V6 propels the car spiritedly, although not super fast. The materiels used on the interior are VASTLY better than what I see in my SIL's '06 Grand Prix. It handles well, absorbs bumps in the road beautifully. The stereo sounds magnificent. There are a lot of buttons on the center stack, but they are clearly labeled. It may scare off an 80 yr old, but anybody gary's age and younger can get by ( :P )

This car had no navigation, and the display for the radio is simplistic like C&D says but it is a rather large display for a radio. The new Acura TL I saw in a parking lot later had just a standard radio display, so this wouldn't be a big deal. The cruise control displays the speed you set it for, as well as the speed you're going, somthing I've yet to see. The rear seats fold down almost flat to make up for the smallish trunk for those odd trips that require more cargo space.

The negatives I saw were the small trunk w/ a decklid held up w/ goosenecks, some road noise eminating from the tires, a HIGH beltline which makes it tough to hang the ole arm out the window (although the armrest was in perfect position), and the instrument cluster looks as if it was stuck in place. The leather top on the instrument cluster looks like a bad toupee'

The transmission shifts flawlessly. I downshifted in manumatic from fifth to second (5-4-3-2) at about 40 and the only indication it shifted was the tach moving. Shifts were imperceptable, and I could hardly hear the engine rev. It was quite impressive.
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    I really like the direction Buick is taking and its reputation for reliability is right in there with Lexus. I am just wondering how GM is going to make sure Buick does not cross into Cadillac territory. I feel GM should have kept Pontiac and ditched Buick. Shifted some of Buicks models to Pontiac. Pontiac could be your upper level Chevy, Cadillac could be the cream of the crop.
    While the consensus of people seem to have the opinion that Buick should've gone instead of Pontiac, the ole' PMD probably stepped on Chevy's toes far more than Buick does Caddy. Right now, the CTS is RWD while the new LaCrosse is FWD/AWD. We can set aside the STS/DTS and Lucerne, as these models are long in the tooth and due to be replaced, so comment can be held until the actual product arrives. Caddy has the SRX and Escalade, while Buick has the Lambda based Enclave.

As far as crossing into Caddy territory, you will notice that all CTS's get the 304 hp 3.6, while the Lacrosse starts off with the 3.0, and only gets the 282 hp version of the 3.6L. The CXS version is as good as it gets for Buick, while Caddy gets the V series.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    So it will be another version of the Opel Antara/Saturn Vue/new Chevy Equinox, refreshed with updated engines?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

".....So it will be another version of the Opel Antara/Saturn Vue/new Chevy Equinox, refreshed with updated engines? "

Quite possibly. But, don't forget; the Opel isn't sold here at any price, and by 2012 the Vue will quite possibly be a Renault, not a GM product.
    I am now the proud owner of a Red Jewel Tintcoat 2010 Lacrosse CXS.

BTW, the CXL I looked at 2 weeks ago, sold last week to a 23 YEAR OLD GIRL!!!!!!

That's 23, not 63 or even 53. :P
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,684
    Pictures! We want pictures!! Anyway, congrats...hope you enjoy the new ride and that it gives you years of happy service.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Anyone who doubts the LaCrosse's mission is to compete with the ES 350 need only scan the lengthy standard equipment list and drive one a couple hundred yards. As Dan Pund said in our Full Test of the LaCrosse CXS, "Really, people, you're going to have to get past your whole Buick thing. Wake up; times are changing."

2010 Buick LaCrosse vs. 2009 Lexus ES 350 Comparison Test

Ironing Out the Wrinkles in the Entry-Level Luxury Sedan (Inside Line)
    What's more interesting are the final 2 paragraphs:

".....We're not saying the Lexus ES 350 is not a fine automobile; we're just saying its time has passed as a standard by which entry-level luxury sedans are to be measured. For that, you must consider the 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS as the new leader in its class.

At first we questioned GM's strategy, not only with the LaCrosse itself but also with the notion of Buick as a genuine competitor for Lexus. But after this comparison, we have no doubt that the 2010 Buick LaCrosse is a game-changing, brand-defining automobile that will go far to both revitalize Buick and promote the new General Motors."

I'm glad the mentioned the jutting dash. I was beginning to think I was a clutz. My poor right knee :cry:
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Yay, another cocky, arrogant ad from Government Motors... :sick:

Comes off just as well as the Howie Long vs. everyone ads telling "everyone" that they are idiots.

I get a laugh everytime a Buick, Chevy or Cadillac ad comes on and the tagline at the end is, "This message has been approved by your local _insert brand here_ dealer". They truely have become a government entity.
    GM does have a problem trying to have more substance than talk. They can advertise until they are blue in the face, but the rebirth of Buick will be a long and slow one, dare I say arduous? I still believe they won't have one at all on the west coast.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

"..... I still believe they won't have one at all on the west coast. "

Yeah, but there are far more people on the east coast.
    Well, one new car sale in every eight is in California alone.

Most of the inhabitants of the country are on the coasts, so it follows naturally that there are more on the east coast than on the west. New England is the most densely settled part of the entire country.

How does Buick do in New England?

"......How does Buick do in New England?"

Great in my driveway, there are 4.

Seriously, I'd say as good as in Florida. There are a lot of elderly up here. And yes, plenty drive Buicks. But as far as the Enclave, I see mostly people that appear to be 35-54. I don't see as many Lucernes as I did P.A.'s or Lesabres, or Lacrosse's as there were Regal's and Century's.

I am seeing more elderly driving a Camry or ES. The Camry up here is becoming like the Dodge Dart was 35 years ago.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    From what I've read Buick has some interesting product plans for smaller-than-LaCrosse sedans. One is an Aura size vehicle and the second is based on the Cruze
    I believe the 2 vehicles you refer to are the 2011(??) Regal and an Astra based "Baby Buick"
    Yes. I think Buick's biggest problem in the U.S is public perception, because beginning with the 2010 LaCrosse, their products are likely to be competitive. For example, the new LaCrosse seems to be competitive with the Toyota Avalon and Lexus ES350.
    "...... For example, the new LaCrosse seems to be competitive with the Toyota Avalon and Lexus ES350"

Oh, it is. I love mine!!!!

It may get better from here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/22/buick-takes-another-look-at-the-small-premium- -market-with-avant/
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Wow. Buick's building a car that cooter likes... ;)

I'll be eager to see if they really start building exciting smaller cars as opposed to a return to Skyhawk days.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Wonderful - they have a concept of a small car. I'll have to drive to a Buick showroom in a few years to see one, in my 2011 Honda CR-Z. :P
    Me too. ;-)

I am struck by the fact that while there are a number of die-hard GM fans here at Edmunds, they all seem to drive Buicks. No-one ever seems to speak up for Chevy, for example.

I suspect that in typical GM fashion, the "newer smaller Buick" will be a fairly large car that fans of small cars will think is too big for their tastes.

GM has done it before.

It will be weird knowing there's a Buick smaller than the state of Texas though. I doubt I will ever see one, the days of Buicks being sold in my area are pretty much over.

I suspect that in typical GM fashion, the "newer smaller Buick" will be a fairly large car that fans of small cars will think is too big for their tastes.

I just have a problem grasping the concept of a small Buick. Isn't that what Chevy is for?

As for the 2011 Regal, I found these specs online:

Wheelbase: 107.8 inches
    Length: 190.2 inches
    Width: 73.1 inches
    Height: 58.9 inches
    Base curb weight: 3,390 pounds

So I guess that puts it in league with the likes of the Camry, Accord, and Altima.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Did you mean 2001 Regal? If not, is there really going to be a 2011 Regal? I hope it's a nice coupe like the 1981-87 models! How about another Grand National?
    No, there is supposed to be a 2011 Regal. Here's a Consumer Guide article about it.

And it's a sedan. Personally, I'd love a decent, modern update of the 1981-87 Regal coupe, but I doubt if we'll ever see cars like that again.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...the Regal at least will be manufactured in the U.S. despite it also being sold in China. I guess it falls below the LaCrosse in the Buick hierarchy being based on the Aura platform.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    I was under the impression it was going to be a Cruze rebadge coming from Daewoo in Korea. Other rumblings point to it being an Opel rebadge. isn't the Lacrosse an Opel Insignia/Aura rebadge?

Would be good to see it built here tho.
    I think the LaCrosse was the first offering on the new platform, and is a bit longer than the Aura/Malibu (and dearly departed G6), which are still on the old version of whatever they call that platform (Epsilon? I can't keep track of 'em anymore) When the new Regal comes out, I think it's going to be essentially a shortened version of the LaCrosse, and then I guess when the Malibu gets redesigned it'll be a sibling of the Regal.

I'd like to think that Buick gave up on rebadging the Cruze, but I still wouldn't put it past them.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    isn't the Lacrosse an Opel Insignia/Aura rebadge?

I believe it rides on stretched version of the Epsilon II platform (Aura/Malibu). The Aura is nearly 10 inches shorter than the LaCrosse.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Buick has ALWAYS built a car that Cooter likes, like my '29 Standard, '65 Wildcat, '04 Rainier, and '10 LaCrosse.
    ".....I was under the impression it was going to be a Cruze rebadge coming from Daewoo in Korea. Other rumblings point to it being an Opel rebadge."

It will be an Astra rebadge, but it will be built here alongside the Cruze. Not sure if it will be sold here (probably so), but I've read it will be EXPORTED to China.

The Lacrosse is an epsillon II car (fantastic, btw). The Regal will be a rebadged Insignia built in Oshawa, Ontario.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "It may be too late to save the Buick brand in North America, but we're guessing younger Chinese consumers will find at least some of these concepts intriguing."

Conceptualized: Buick Avant (Inside Line)

Buick has ALWAYS built a car that Cooter likes, like my '29 Standard, '65 Wildcat, '04 Rainier, and '10 LaCrosse.

I knew that! Just having my fun...

Man, would I love to check out that '29 Standard!
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    ".....Man, would I love to check out that '29 Standard! "

Any time!!!! But be warned, it's in pieces right now.
    I'll give you plenty of time to put it back together....
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    From the Fintail album (not sure what model it is, but I think it's a 29 Buick)
    Well, it sure looks like mine, save the side mount spares and the luggage rack.

And the paint

And the chrome

And the interior

(SIGH) Give me a good long time... :cry:
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,162
    I always assumed that old pic was of a deluxe car, with the fancy bumper and fog lights.

I'm not old enough to know firsthand of course, but I do know the slightly curved features on the 29 Buick gave it the "pregnant" nickname.
    Nice.

Hey, cooter! When you finish te 29 you can fix up a 49. My grandfather had one of those. Special place in my heart.
    Oooooh. Maybe a Sedanette?
    That'd be perfect! OK, now we have to find one....
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    When I look at the LaCrosse, I think it is a competitor to the new Taurus. Which is a problem, because Buick is supposed to be positioned "above" Ford. Chevrolet is supposed to be taking on Ford.

I saw the new Taurus at the local Ford dealer, and have seen two on the road. The impression is of a car that is trying to look impressive by filling out the corners of the box...much like a 1965 Galaxie 500. It even has rectangular taillights with a back-up light in the middle.

The LaCrosse is reaching for a more "fluid" shape, especially with the "sweepspear" stamped into the side panels and more curvacious taillights...much like a 1965 Wildcat.

I guess history DOES repeat itself.
    You may be right in viewing the LaCrosse as a competitor to the Taurus, mainly because the GM model that's intended to compete with the Taurus is the Impala. As we know, the Impala is long in the tooth, and I haven't read that there will be a new generation Impala any time soon.

I also view the LaCrosse and the Taurus as direct competitors to the Avalon. Buick has targeted the ES350 with the LaCrosse. However, I know that some buyers cross shop the Avalon and ES350, so it seems reasonable that some of these same buyers, or others, also consider the LaCrosse.

It's my perception that, in addition to the LaCrosse, Taurus shoppers may also consider the Avalon, and visa-versa. I don't see the ES350 cross shopped against the Taurus, though. In other words, whereas Taurus may be cross shopped against LaCrosse and Avalon, I think LaCrosse may enjoy the benefit of also being cross shopped against the ES350. Why? Because I think that the LaCrosse is more likely to be seen as an entry level luxury choice than Taurus. Ford's entry level luxury candidate is the Lincoln MKT. Now, since this is all mostly my perception, it would be logical to assume that the MKT is still another model that the LaCrosse is cross shopped against.

Maybe this would all be less confusing if the domestic brands hadn't changed model names numerous times over the years. For example, Ford created confusion by dropping the Taurus name, then naming its volume mid-size "Fusion," only to apply the Taurus name to a larger, pricier car, after that car had been named the 500. GM and Chrysler did similar things, over and over again. Most consumers know what Camry, Corolla, Accord and Civic are, but how many people could distinguish between a Fusion and a Taurus, or, say, a LaCrosse and a Lucerne? And now there's talk of Buick reintroducing the Regal as a badged Opel Insignia. That's after that model was supposed to go to Saturn, which GM has just announced it will discontinue. I sure hope Fritz Henderson has it all straight. I'm thinking that Rick Waggoner is sleeping much better. now that he no longer has to grapple with GM's challenges.
    I just found the specs for the 2010 Taurus, and funny, but I thought it would be a bigger car! It actually appears slightly smaller inside than my Intrepid in shoulder room and legroom, but increased headroom offsets it enough that it still ends up with a bit more interior volume, something like 108 cubic feet compared to my Intrepid's 104.4. And trunk space is more generous, 20.1 compared to my Intrepid's 18.4 or whatever.

In overall length, it's about 2" shorter (202 versus 204) and slightly smaller in wheelbase (112.9 versus 113). About an inch or two wider (76.2", while I think my Intrepid is 74-75), and about 5" taller (60.7", versus my Trep's 55.9")

I guess I have a bit of trouble placing the new LaCrosse and Taurus in proper hierarchy is because think of the LaCrosse as another rendition of the Malibu, Aura, and G6, whereas I look at the Taurus as the top line Ford, and something they put a lot of effort into. But I think GM actually did put some serious thought into this new LaCrosse, and it's relation to the Malibu/Aura/G6 is more like the Lexus ES350 to a Camry.
    Where does that leave the Impala?
    Where does that leave the Impala?

Police, taxi, and government fleets, perhaps? Or buyers too cheap to spring for a Taurus? Actually, I'd say that today's Impala probably roughly equates to maybe a 1965 Bel Air or Biscayne. Decent, roomy, inexpensive, and no frills. And when you think about it, the full-sized Chevies back then were a bit behind the times, with 2-speed automatics, old-fashioned cartridge oil filters rather than spin-ons, etc. It's just that back then GM had the marketing, brand loyalty, and stunning good looks to make the car a winner in spite of its shortcomings.

FWIW, I don't think the current Impala is a horrible car...it's just that it's getting overshadowed these days by newer and better cars. Still, if you want a big-ish car for a low price, a used one is hard to beat.