Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Navigation System

Comments

• peridocperidoc Member Posts: 18
    I was wondering if anyone had gotten the Navigation System map update from MapNSoft? What are your impressions and what have you noticed new in the update that was not there before? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • themergthemerg Member Posts: 139
    Okay, I got the update for the 2009 Sonata. It took a bit to get it loaded. At first it would say it was verifying the DVD, but then it would just spit it out. I called MapnSoft and he had me reset (the small little button to the top left of the Tune dial) the Nav Unit first and then do the install. That did the trick. Although, it takes about 90 minutes then for the install.

Once installed, I found that it updated to the map to v1.09.13 and it also updated the software to v_015. There some new features that I noticed off the bat, such as an Emergency button on the Navigation Destination screen. The QWERTY keyboard issue also appears to have been resolved.

On the downside, I noticed that when doing the reset, which has to be done at some point during the update, it actually wipes all your settings (programmed radio stations, address book).

There is also a new quirk with the Random button. When selecting Random while playing my iPod, it first goes to Album Random and then Random. So now, you have to hit Random twice everytime you turn on your car or switch components if you want to randomize your playlist. Ugh! Just what I need, more wear and tear on my touchscreen.

- Merg
  • nstuffnstuff Member Posts: 25
    themerg,

You had a rather excellent post previously (linked below) describing each of the 6 major issues with the navi.

You mentioned the qwerty and random issues appear resolved. I'd be interested in if the other four are fixed too.

When I spoke with M&Soft a while back, the guy suggested that they build the database and send it off to get the dvd created and then sent back to be sold. He said the only changes he knew of were the map database, but couldn't give me any specifics on other updates although he suggested it could be possible.

Now we know they did fix a few of the outstanding issues.

I just wish M&Soft techs were better informed about what they were selling.

Post I'm referring to with list of bugs: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1b1997/75
    Here is an updated list of issues...

1. QWERTY Keyboard - Corrected
    Initially Reported: 09/2008
    When setting the keyboard layout to be in QWERTY mode, the keyboard layout reverts to Alphabet mode after changing the System mode (switching components) or when turning the Nav System off and on. The default settings menu will still show the layout selection to be in QWERTY mode even though it displays the keyboard in Alphabet mode.

2. iPod Random Issue
    Initially Reported: 10/2008
    When selecting the iPod to play at Random, the feature is turned off if a different mode is selected, the audio system is turned off and on, or the Tuning dial on the radio is used to select a new song. The Random selection should be maintained during any of these changes.

3. Address Book Sorting Incorrect
    When sorting the Address Book alphabetically and not by date, new addresses are incorrectly sorted when added. New addresses are added to the end of an addressbook instead of alphabetically. To correct the issue, you have to go into the settings and reselect alphabetically.

4. System Hang - One Time Issue
    Had an issue where the Hyundai logo stayed on screen and nothing could clear it. I tried to turning off and on the car and the same thing happened. I hit the Display button and the display settings screen came on. When I hit another button to try to get the iPod screen, I got a Windows pop-up on the screen that told me I had a fatal application error. I selected OK and the system rebooted and started working fine.

5. iPod Not Turning Off - Possibly Corrected
    Initially Reported: 09/2008
    When turning off the car, my iPod is not turning off on its own. According to the developer it is supposed to. Also, I found that if I manually turn it off while leaving it connected, it sometimes turns back on a few minutes later even though the vehicle is off. I am unsure if somehow it is receiving power when the car door is opened or not, but something is triggering it to turn back on.

Update 02/13/2009: I left the iPod on after turning off my vehicle. When I returned 10 minutes later, the iPod was off and I still had a full charge. I will see if it continues to do this.

6. USB Device Random Issue
    Initially Reported: 10/27/2008
    When using a USB drive to play music files, the Random setting works as long as you do not change a song manually. As soon as you change the song using the steering wheel controls or the radio seek buttons, the Random setting turns itself off.

7. iPod Random Issue: Part 2
    Initially Reported: 02/13/2009
    When hitting the Random button, it now selects Album Random first and then Random. This means that you have to hit the button twice to randomize playback of your playlist. This will cause a lot of extra wear and tear on the touchscreen.

Enhancements of Note
    Artist names and album names now scroll if they are too long to be displayed
    Emergency button on the Destination screen (links to police, hospitals, and dealerships nearby)

I know some other things changed, but can't remember exactly how they were before. I'll post when I figure it out.

- Merg
    I updated the list.

Regarding fixes, the Random issue is not fixed; it's actually worse now.

As for M&Soft, I talked to them again today. They only update the map, POI's, etc. They send it off to Hyundai Autonet to put on the DVD and then it is returned to them for sale. Apparently, the map itself cannot just be updated. When performing the map update, you are actually reinstalling the software for the Nav unit. Hyundai Autonet takes advantage of this to release updates to their software.

I sent off an e-mail to the contact for Hyundai Autonet USA, once again. We'll see what happens.

As for the map, I did notice a new street from last July is still not on the map and a government office that was built about 4 or 5 years ago is still not represented on the map.

- Merg
    I am wondering how long it will be for those of us that do not purchase the map update to get a software update to the unit to bring them to the same software version. Any way you can inquire with your contact about that?

Thanks!
  • bs205bs205 Member Posts: 7
    Should have responded a long time ago - my bad. Anyway, the replacement of the unit fixed all issues. Dealer did a good job, no muss, no fuss.

This is probably a dumb question but does anyone know how or if MS Streets & Trips trip maps can be used or loaded into this nav system?
    Negative. The maps are updated as part of the software install. You need to have an install DVD from MapnSoft in order to update your map.

- Merg
  • i360i360 Member Posts: 74
    ...such as an Emergency button on the Navigation Destination screen.

That has been there on mine since day one. It has the police, hospital & Hyundai dealerships listed in there.
    Did they change the icon for it? I really don't remember seeing that there before. Maybe the icon was blah enough before that it just didn't stand out to me...

- Merg
  • knighterknighter Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 09 Sonata Limited with the Infinity radio/gps. I did not get a manual with it. Would you have the model number of the radio so I can try to find the correct manual. It is not the same radio/gps found in other Hyundai models.

Thanks for any info
    Are there any more updates at the dealer for the Nav system other than the original one that came out a while back? I am getting ready to go in for service and did not know if I needed to ask for one. Thanks!
    None that I know of.

However, I just tried to update mine having bought the update from M&Soft and I am unable to do so. I get a Disc Error when I try. After having tried a second disc mailed to me, M&Soft seems to think that the disc may not be designed with my navi's version. My navi was at version v_A3_3 when i bought it and since i have yet to be able to update it, it remains at this version. I'm awating a call back from M&Soft on what they want to try next.
    I had an issue too of it not reading the disk. I needed to reset the Nav system first and then do the update. It worked fine that way.

- Merg
    The most recent version from the dealer will be v_A3_3. The next version after that is only available with the map update from M&Soft.

- Merg
    well, we (Map&Soft + Hyundai Autonet and I) got the update dvd to work. Don't ask me why, but the solution ended up being to play a movie dvd first, then immediately try updating with the update dvd. Over 1 hour later, and it finished.

Updated navi software went to a completely different version # scheme. I went from V_A3_3 (before update) to V_015.

I've noticed the 'random' button changes. It defaults to 'album random' on first press, requiring a second press to get the normal 'random' which i also agree is annoying. However, that might be a decent tradeoff when considering gaining the keyboard staying in QWERTY mode. That was a horrible bug.

I'll play around some more, but so far, i'm noticing mostly cosmetic changes. Example, in the sound section, they flipped the BAS MID, TRE to Treb Mid Bass.

Another bug i want to test out is if the random feature sticks when switching various modes. Before, you would enable random, go to map, then on return to the Aux screen (for connected ipod), random would be turned off again. I hope this is fixed.
    disregard the comment about the random feature staying on when switching audio sources. I reread some comments about that earlier in this thread. From prior comments, i can see that things will most likely stay the way they were on the older version.
    Yeah, the Random issue is still present. It will stick when going back and forth from the Map to the iPod, but will not stick if you switch to a completely different input or turn off the vehicle.

I was told by the developer that it had to do with how the iPod is connected and they cannot change that. I disagree with that though. All it would take would be to store the current setting of the Random property similar to how they are storing the radio stations in memory, your settings for the Navigation system, etc. When you select the Aux input, it would just pull up that setting.

As for the new Random order, it is also a little confusing. It says Album Random, which to me meant that it would play the current album in a random order. Instead, it means that it will play a random album when it is finished playing the current album.

I also think they dropped the ball when it comes to listing the playlists, artists, and albums. I think they should use the blank space to the left of the listings to show groupings of letters. That way you can easily jump to that group of letters. It can take a while for the list to scroll to the M's when you have a couple thousand songs on your iPod.

It would have also been nice to have a "Play Random" button at the top of any playlist/artisit/album. That way you could easily select one and have it start to randomly play as opposed to having to select at least one song and then hitting random.

As for the actual navigation, 've also noticed that the time estimates are not very accurate. According to the Navigation setup, there are three types of roads that you set the average speed (local, main, interstate). When setting up a route and selecting minimize interstate, I'll notice the the little mileage indicator will display that my route is 0 miles on the interstate. Yet, my time to drive my route is almost 1 mile per minute (thus estimating a speed of almost 60mph). If I alter the Navigation setting for the Interstate speed, my time for these routes will change. On the map, these roads are being displayed though only as local or main roads. Obviously there is a mix-up here somewhere.

Just a little venting...

- Merg
    What is the purpose of the Repeat button when playing music from your iPod? It only repeats the current song. I'm trying to think of a time when I would want the same song to repeat over and over and over again. It's not even that it is for repeating the playing of a playlist as when a playlist is finished playing it automatically starts over again.

Ugh...

- Merg
  • logic3logic3 Member Posts: 3
    I view my "premium" audio navigation system as a key piece of my vehicle although my dealership takes an "oh well" attitutude. First rant: My < 6 month old 2009 Sonata has 11/15/07 map data on it ! I can't get my dealer / service to consider uploading new info either because they are scared or neophytes.

The RANDOM key frost my butt. I use a memory stick with 100's of songs (16Meg). But, by golly, when I turn the car off for the night and get up the next morning, that random "RANDOM" key just plays the same songs that I heard yesterday even starting from exactly the same song that it start with yesterday. This is repeatable and I view it as a bug. Didn't their coders hear of a random seed value? timestamp, or for heaven sake, us a track/sector number off the file index. Yes, this happens even mid stream, so if I go into my file list and force select a song of my choosing, then hit random... guess what?... back to the same darn song again (yup, groundhog day over and over).

To me, this should be a recall item. If this was an aftermarket or standalone device, I'd return it and get my money back. Anybody think this should be escalated or have legal recourse ?
  • dave868dave868 Member Posts: 64
    I agree that both your dealership and Hyundai should take your concerns seriously. Thats just good customer service. But even in today's litigious world, I don't think that you can sue a company for playing the same song over again.
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    Did they tell you there would be a random seed? How much is the value of the care reduced?. What happens if you advance the song 30 places then hit random. I would be more upset regarding placing a maintance item in the fuel tank.
    Check your software version to see if you have v_A3_3 or v_015... V_A3_3 is the most recent version that you can get via a TSB from your dealer. The v_015 is the version you get if you purchased the update for the map. I'm assuming that you don't have that as you state your map is from November 2007, which was the initial release of the map.

If you don't have v_A3_3 though, I would go to your dealer and get that update. There were some significant improvements, which I believe included the Random issue that you are referring to.

- Merg
    There is a good discussion about randomness at: http://ask.metafilter.com/23813/Is-an-ipod-on-shuffle-truly-random

If I advance a song "list" or even an album "list" 30 places or 35 or even 42, it always seems to go back to a song starting with A (within 1 hop) and then sequence through it's own designated sequence which maybe some time I'll take them time to map out.

And no, they didn't tell me about a random seed, this is a pretty well know topic on psuedo-random number generators, monte-carlo theory and roulette. Apple seems to have gotten in right in their implementation as have other systems including windows media player, etc.

I'm not sure of the maintenance item / fuel tank comment. Seems random to me! :)
  • awriterawriter Member Posts: 4
    I'm shocked to see no references in this thread to what is a growing national scandal for the Sonata's Navigation system. I have a 2009 Sonata Limited with 2500 miles on it.

A few weeks ago my nav screen began to act strangely. The screen would stay on the blue 'Hyundai' for a long time before going over to Navigation or Sound system, or would stay on for as long as I drove the car.

A week ago, the blue screen didn't show up at all. Instead, there was only a gray screen that flickered. Within another few days, that was replaced by wild flashes of blue screen, gray screen and video-gone-wild -- like a TV that's gone nuts. And there's no way to shut it off without shutting off the car. It's now completely undriveable at night -- and not much better during the day. I'm worried it might set off an epileptic fit. Seriously.

Here are the steps I took to address the problem:

1: I googled the flickering screen. Nothing.
    2: I called Hyundai Net and spoke to a technician, Charlie. Didn't get two words into describing it when he stopped me. Turns out Hyundai has known about this problem for some time. The original units had bad chip sets. Charlie said the chip sets were fixed, the bad units recalled from the distribution centers, and new units sent out.
    3: Naively, I called my dealer to arrange to bring the car in to have the bad unit pulled and a new one put in, only to discover that there are NO units. Anywhere in the country. They are on back order for months, if not the foreseeable future.

This is simply unacceptable. I paid a premium price for the car, and an extra $1200 for the navigation unit. That it should not only break after 2500 miles -- bad enough -- but that it should render the car extremely difficult to drive and never mind the fact that I also can't use either the nav system itself or even the radio is outrageous in the extreme.

Here are the steps I'm going to take to be made whole:

1: I will take videos of the problem and upload them to YouTube.
    2: I will start a blog about the problem, urging customers to buy any other car but a Hyundai. There will be links to the videos as well.
    3: I will contact Consumerist.org and have them report the story and link to the blog and videos. That will get the story and links on Digg, Facebook, and the rest of the net.
    4: I will start a Twitter feed, marking every single day the problem remains unfixed.
    5: I will take Hyundai to small claims court and sue them for the $1200, bringing the videos with me to be played on my cell phone. I have no doubt I will win.

I urge everyone who owns a 2009 Hyundai model with a Nav unit and who is reading this to bookmark this post. When your unit breaks down -- and if it is an original unit it WILL break down -- you may want to follow in my footsteps. I'll report any progress made back on this thread. Hyundai needs to know that it cannot cause major problems for its customers and refuse to do anything about it.

Lisa
    What do you expect Hyundai to do? If the units are defective they are replacing them as quick as possible. Do you expect they have 20,000 extra units sitting on a shelf in case the units were defective? If they did that the ones on the shelf would be defective also. Should they do this with every part on the car?
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    First of all, get a grip man. Sounds to me like Hyundai is getting the problem resolved by letting you know what has to be done to correct the issues your having. Seems to me your mad because the part is on back order and you can't get your car fixed right away. Dude, stuff happens so let go of your pride and ego let Hyundai fix your car when the part becomes available. I doubt you will win a lawsuit given that Hyundai has a fix for the problem, but the part is on back order. Would you still be this anal if it were Toyota or Honda.
    Well, you had my interest at the title, but when you say "It's now completely undriveable at night -- and not much better during the day. I'm worried it might set off an epileptic fit. Seriously", you lost me.

I did have my problems with the NAV system and it took me about 20 hours of phone calls getting to the right people to get some satisfaction and a fix. Am I happy, yes. Am I delighted with Hyundai's NAV system or stereo functions in general, NO. It's not intuitive, the voice commands are poorly implemented, you don't have modality in the steering controls for XM/Serius walk through channel by channel. But that's just a sloppy system and I chalk it up to not spending the extra hour or 2 required at the dealer to really play with this and make a better determination.

As for your epileptic fit, I suggest a piece of cardboard strategically placed on your screen until you can get it fixed to avoid any distraction / discomfort.

As an aside, my BMW X3's enhanced stereo system (without nav) wasn't that good either. I think car manufacturers need to take a lesson from the audio industry - consumer products where the features, buttons and integration are intuitive.
    Well, I just talked to an engineer with Hyundai Mobis, the company that develops the software for the Hyundai Navigation system. I was told that the system in the 2009 Sonata and the system in the 2010 Sonata (includes XM Traffic and Bluetooth) is not being made anymore. Instead, they are working on a brand new system for the 2011 Sonata. I also found out that none of these systems are interoperable. Even though the Nav system in 2010 looks identical to the 2009, you can't swap them out.

What does all this mean, it appears that software updates will be very few and far between for the 2009 and 2010 Nav models. Unless something really isn't working, it's not going to be worth it to Hyundai to request a bug fix. Although, you would hope that they wouldn't want t alienate all their current users for when the time comes for them to purchase another vehicle.

- Merg
    huh, i had always known the unit in the 2009 was technically capable to do xm-traffic, but it was either not enabled or just not developed for whatever reason. I didn't know about the bluetooth.

Also, very odd that the 2010 is a different unit than what is in the 2009. I've been meaning to stop by a dealership just to take a look to see what pops up in the version info screen in a 2010 to see how it compares. A friend just bought a used 2009 sonata with navi. The microphone functionality was broken and they figured out it was the actual navi unit that was the problem. However they told him it was backordered and it would be at least a month for the replacement to come in. Luckily i haven't had any issues with mine.

Map&Soft just simply sends their updated map database to Hyundai Autonet and Autonet builds an update dvd with the latest firmware + the map update and sends it back to Map&Soft to sell. I guess we'll see if they have anything worth the $200 price when they eventually release the next update. If they hold to their promise of annual updates, it should be coming in 3 or so months.
    I was told that the 2010 version looks identical to the 2009, but that the connectors are different so you cannot swap them out.

- Merg
  • cbrf4ridercbrf4rider Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased 09 v6 sonata limited with nav. It has the latest version of the map and software. Do you guys here a noise when you have the volume all the way down to zero? I had my car in my garage and turned the key so only the nav will come on, and I hear a white noise in the back ground (not so loud). When I turn the nav off, the noise goes away. Is this expected?

BTW, my nav system locked up on me a couple of times already and it rebooted itself several times...
    Well, I went in for a warranty repair today and they had on my ticket that I was due for a software upgrade on my Navigation System. When I inquired about that, I was told that there have been some software issues and they had a new version to install. I got a little excited at first that maybe some of the bugs I'd pointed out were getting taken care of.

However, when I got my car back, I was still at v_015, which is what I was upgraded to last February when I updated my map. I guess that they had finally issued the new software version to the dealers to install.

- Merg
  • kenlight1kenlight1 Member Posts: 22
    You should get your radio/NAV system replaced if it locks up and reboots several times. I had mine replaced when the ICONs were lost and haven't had a problem in the last year.
    I just called up Map&Soft and they said the new navi software was released this week and is now available for sale. The website has not been updated at all and they didn't have an answer on when it would be. However, they said that the only thing they are selling now is the updated version that just came out, so even if it looks like you are ordering the old, you would be getting the new. (I wouldn't trust the website and would just order over the phone if you plan to buy the upgrade).

I asked about updated features or fixes and they gave me the same answer they had last year (updated POI and Map data, no other fixes that they know of). We know this was wrong last year when they fixed the qwerty keyboard bug among a few other minor things. I might call up Mobis (Hyundai AutoNet) to see if they know of any changes in the updated version.

She also said the price is $200 with no promo discount and no discount to prior customers. The same price we pay is the same price the dealers pay.

Sigh.

themerge, possibly they just did a check and found you were already updated? There is a TSB on the 09 Sonata from back in May '09 about updating the navi software, but it says it is non-warranty work and the TSB actually says the latest was v_014 (at the time).
  • wsc2wsc2 Member Posts: 4
    Just wondering what anybody's exerience with the new map update has been.
    Haven't ordered it yet. I am waiting on a reply from MapnSoft still as to if there are any software updates on it. They told me they would find out, but I haven't heard back yet. $200 for just a map update is a little pricey for me.

- Merg
    I called up Mobis (used to be hyundai autonet) and talked to a guy who said there were no new features in the software (ie, no xm traffic for the 2009 sonata), but there were bug fixes. Though he could not tell me any specifics. I kept prying for something, but he wouldn't give me any details.

I agree, $200 is a bit much for just map updates. I know for a fact that they have navi units at MapnSoft to test the update dvds. How hard would it be to look for changes, or at least get a list of bug fixes from Mobis? Especially when they intend to sell us something so expensive and without any details of what we will get for our money other than "new POI and addresses".

I hope you have better luck.
  • starchief5starchief5 Member Posts: 8
    Anybody want to go in with me and purchase an update disk for the maps? $200 is an outrageous price for an update (there, I said it). We could divide the cost among however many want in and pass the disc along to the next person after we download it. I can't see that this would be in any way illegal or immoral. Anyone interested?

Is there anything about the software that would prevent downloading it more than once?
    Well, in order to install it you need to provide a code from your unit to MapnSoft, so only one person can install it. As for being illegal, installing it on more than one unit would be as you are authorized to use it on one particular unit.

- Merg
    I can't see that this would be in any way illegal or immoral.

You have to be kidding of course it immoral and illegal.
    I do not understand why people feel they need an update unless where you drive has a bunch of development 99.99% of the old information is correct.
    Yes I agree the price is ridiculous. Since it is installed in the car you are stuck.
    I just use a portable GPS that costs $150 and move it car to car.
  • starchief5starchief5 Member Posts: 8
    I can see Mapsoft taking steps such as a code usable for only one vehicle. That would be wise business.

If the software could be successfully used by four different vehicles I cannot see where it would illegal, and certainly not immoral, for four people to pitch in $50 each to buy and use the product. Not make four copies of the software. Just buy one copy and pass it around to the four partial purchasers.

Mapsoft would not like that but I certainly do not see a court case for its legality.
    I would feel about as guilty about it as they do for charging extortion prices for a product worth about $50 at best.

That is just like saying that four neighbors cannot pitch in and buy a lawnmower and all four take turns using the mower. We would laugh at Sears if they told us we couldn't do that.
  • jcaroljcarol Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new 2010 Sonata and the nav system is not working properly. The service department told me nothing they could do until a new update came out. My system cannot take you anywhere. Does anyone know the most recent version my lists 1.09.13. Can anyone help the service department kind of said to bad!!
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    You have got to be kidding.....
    Talk to the general manager of the dealership and demand that they replace the unit
    If they refuse call Hyundai's general office and complain to them
    THIS IS A WARRANTY ISSUE
  • surefootsurefoot Member Posts: 3
    I just used my 2011 Sonata navigation system for the first time to drive from Scottsdale to Las Vegas. Instead of the usual 300 miles, it took me 400 miles with my new $2,100 navigation system. No matter how I tried to adjust it, I could not select the shortest route. When I went to the dealer, I was told that next time, I should go on-line and use either google or map quest. Is this true? Is this the way the navigation system works? Are all of the units like this or is mine defective?
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I had a similar problem. I think I solved it by changing the default speeds set for interstates, major roads & residential streets, (there are 3 categories of roads and not sure if I got the names right). Interstates were set at 65, but major roads were set at 45, so it would always route me on the interstate since it took less time based on their speeds even though I knew that the state roads were shorter and quicker. I believe the settings appear on the navigation settings menu.
    On the 2011 model, there is no way to set the speeds. All that I can avoid are ferries, tollways and freeways. I can chooes between their recommended way or the shortest way, but neither option changed my route.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Not so!! Please try this: Press the "Set Up" button on the dash below the nav screen. Press the "Navigation" button on the nav screen, Then, press the "travel Time" button on the nav screen. You will see 3 speedometers with the default speeds for each category of street. You can change those to whatever your want and they will be used to compute the travel times accordingly and thus the routings. Hope this helps,
This discussion has been closed.