Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Mazda3

Comments

• mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Also, how can an auto tranny get the same milage as a manual?

It's not uncommon for this to happen these days. In fact, some auto transmissions even get BETTER mileage than their manual counterparts. The 6-speed automatic is now becoming commonplace, replacing the ancient 4-speeds that have been used for what seems like forever. More ratios mean better acceleration and better fuel economy. Also, automakers can have better control with engine/drivetrain electronics if it has the ability to assign a certain gear at any time, also helping with mileage and overall performance.

Are they good enough to abandon the three-pedal setup altogether? Not in my book, not by a long shot. For the point-A-to-point-B driver? I'd think so...
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    This is a big country. Just because dealers are doing something in CT doesn't mean that is the case everywhere or even anywhere else. In Chicago area TDIs are going for invoice or below. The Sportwagons are still going for MSRP or slightly lower because they are still in limited quantities in comparison to the sedans.
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    I think you are right on.I can't find a an 09 Mz3 Grand Touring left within 200 miles . So i gave up.Also, Mazda isn't dealing as far as I can see.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    For those of you old enough to remember, the stylish Scirocco coupe is back. Interesting alternative to the Mazda3 GT or maybe even the Mazdaspeed3. And that front fascia is like the evil brother of the 2010 Mazda3. :)
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Do you know something I don't know? I ask because the last I heard, there was about a zero percent chance that VW was going to bring the new Scirocco to North America. I find that particularly dissappointing as I bought a brand new 1979 Scirocco many years ago and other than the fact that it didn't have A/C, it was one of the most enjoyable cars to drive I've ever had the pleasure to experience.

Long story short, I'd buy one in a heart-beat if they were to bring it over here. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • relldonrelldon Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know from their own experience owning a 2010 Mazda 3 i if the real world MPG of the car exceeds the EPA designated mileage? I'm interested in performance but I'm also interested in MPG.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    2010 3i has the same engine as the 2003 - 2009. See other threads on real world Mz3 mpg. In short, the EPA estimates are about right, and many are able to exceed them with a little effort.
  • marsdogmarsdog Member Posts: 9
    I just picked up my new 2010 MZ3 s GT Auto last night :shades: and I'll be following the mpg closely and provide updates. This of course, doesn't provide alot of data, but in my freeway commute (approx 45 miles) the MID showed an mpg average in the low 30's. I stress, this was just freeway driving and I was consciously driving conservatively, though averaging just under 70mph. More data to come
  • hiwaystarhiwaystar Member Posts: 10
    Fully loaded with Bose and Tech package. MSRP 25600 and change. Don Miller Mazda of Madison took 24,670 for a brand new (no miles) or they offered another $700 off for a Demo with 700 miles on it. I took the demo becuase it was Graphite which was my preference. Can't wait to pick it up. My only worry is will it handle our Wisconsin winters adequately enough.
    "My only worry is will it handle our Wisconsin winters adequately enough."

Given how incredibly terrible the tires were that came on the previous generation of Mazda3, my bet is that the tires that are coming on your new ride will be just as lousy in winter conditions. That said, if you simply upgrade the rubber with something of a higher quality, you should be good to go.

I yanked the Goodyear Eagle RS-As off of the 2009 Mazda3 that I bought in November after only 714 miles and replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, and the difference, even on dry pavement, was astounding. I've driven 11,000 miles since mid-November on the Michelins, and over that period of time we had nearly 100 inches of snow here in New Hampshire. So far at least, the new tires haven't missed a beat. :)
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    My only worry is will it handle our Wisconsin winters adequately enough.

The answer is "yes" if you consider that there are tons of Mazdas in Canada; Canadians know something about winter. Tip: Get winter tires.
  • hiwaystarhiwaystar Member Posts: 10
    well my salesman assures me that the new Yokohama's that are standard this year are an upgrade over the last few years. Tirerack has them rated at 5.6 out of 10 for moderate snow which puts them firmly in the "good" range.

The dealer also offers a set of snowtires on alloys with the tire pressure monitoring system for about $800 installed or can save some bucks and just have them mounted on crappy wheels. Hopefully I won't need to make that decision.

I guess we'll see how she goes next winter.

Thanks for the input.
  • gamerguy73gamerguy73 Member Posts: 13
    Enjoy your new 3 hiway. I bought my 2010 3 in Graphite (s Sport A/T 4dr with Tech and Moonroof/Bose pkg) on march 8 for $23,400 OTD.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    The 'i' has the same engine as the '09, but the automatic transmission is a 5-speed for '10. The '09 had a 4-speed automatic. That should translate to at least 1-2mpg improvement on automatics.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    well my salesman assures me that the new Yokohama's that are standard this year are an upgrade over the last few years.

No more GoodYear Eagle RS-A's. Your salesman is correct.
    The 'i' has the same engine as the '09, but the automatic transmission is a 5-speed for '10. The '09 had a 4-speed automatic. That should translate to at least 1-2mpg improvement on automatics.

I wouldn't bet on that. It all depends upon the gear ratios, and my guess it that the final drive ratio on the 5-Speed automatic is pretty close to what the 4-Speed unit had. What the 5-Speed will do is improve acceleration.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    According to window stickers, with 2.0 and automatic, the '10 is rated at 24/33 vs. 23/30 for the '09. So it is +1 city and +3 hwy.
  • teryglenn1teryglenn1 Member Posts: 2
    Just got a 2010 Mazda 3 i Touring Liquid Silver stock for $17000.
    It will be interesting to see what folks report as the difference between RPMs at say 60 for 2009 (and earlier) 2.0 liter 4-Speed automatic Mazda3s and 2010 2.0 liter 5-Speed automatic Mazda3s. My bet is that there isn't much of a difference and that any change in fuel economy has more to do with the car and any updates Mazda did to the engine.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • smallcarsmallcar Member Posts: 39
    Just got a 2010 Mazda 3 i Touring Liquid Silver stock for $17000.

sedan? manual or automatic?
  • zar1zar1 Member Posts: 24
    So you were able to buy below Dealer's Invoice for $17K?
    The manual invoices at $17,067 (incl. Dest.)
    The auto. invoices at $17,860 (incl. Dest.)
    Am I correct in assuming you included the non-negotiable $670 Destination Charge?
    Translates to either $67 or $860 below invoice. Following the previous post, which was it, auto or manual tranny? Thanks for providing some "guidance" for those of us still looking to purchase.
    Gamerguy, if your OTD was $23,400, how much did you pay over/under invoice? With dealer's invoice at $21,203 that's a spread of $2,197. Could be either over or under invoice depending on sales tax, DMV fees, doc fees, etc. for your neck of the woods. Sharing price paid based on invoice allows for an easier comparison for those of us living in different tax jurisdictions and states with differing fee structures.
    Grats . . . and enjoy your ride!
  • dakennydakenny Member Posts: 7
    are the yokohamas just for the S versions? TireRack has Bridgestone Turanza (terrible reviews) listed as the standard tires for the I version.

Are dealers willing to switch between the two for the cars? maybe a bargaining point
    No prob zar. I pulled out the sales doc on my car.

Cash price $21,343 (invoice is usually 21,203 but there was a L.A. Port assessment fee of 150, couldn't negotiate it).

sales tax here is 8.25% 1765
    add the DMV license/reg/fling fees (another 250 or so)
    for $23,425

Not a great deal to me but good enough at the time; I had sold my '04 M3 a while ago and wanted the 2010 as soon as possible.
    Thanks Gamer. I'm in CA too. You saved some $$$ by beating the 1% sales tax increase that went into effect in CA April 1. Darn, I forgot the timing and unfortunately, it was no April Fool's joke!
  • teryglenn1teryglenn1 Member Posts: 2
    5 speed Manual of course, I also had an offer for 16900 however I went with the 17k dealer because they have a good rep for service. I also had one dealer try and sell it to me for the full MSRP of $18,170, i guess he thought i was stupid. It was my first new car purchase I think I did fairly well, finance rate was 4.9% over 60 months.
  • familydadx4familydadx4 Member Posts: 26
    Very good deal. Ya done good! :)

The same model I'm looking at. I've gotten quotes of 18k and 17.5k. I've still got a month or two before I start negotiating.
    1st new car purchase? Absolutely . . . good negotiating!
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    As the owner of an '06 MZ3 s Touring 5-door, I really like the new 5-door. For a second time, they've managed to make the 5-door the better looking model (compared to the 4-door sedan).

As with the first generation, the 5-door is only offered in 's' trim for U.S. buyers. In Canada, the 4-door and 5-door are sold in three trim levels each- GX, GS and GT. The GX has the 2.0L and 16" steel wheels, GS sedan has 2.0L/5-door has 2.3L and 16" alloys and the GT has 2.5L and 17" alloys. Unlike our Grand Touring models, leather interior and power driver's seat aren't standard. They are part of a 'Luxury Package' that requires choosing the moonroof also. Bose and the Tech Package are lumped together as the 'GT-E' package- which requries the Luxury Package and Moonroof.

In our current economy, it seems that a 2.0L version of the 5-door would appeal to buyers who want both lower purchase price and better fuel economy! Personally, I'd love a 2.0L with the 17" wheels and sporty looks of the U.S.-spec 5-door. The 4mpg increase in highway fuel economy (33 vs. 29) is very appealing. As it stands, I'd have to settle for the 'i' Touring sedan to get the 2.0L...
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    The 5 door is better looking than the sedan? Hmmmmm.....
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The 5 door is better looking than the sedan? Hmmmmm.....

I happen to think so!
    It has a bigger happy face look that's all. Better lookin' I don't think so.Take a lookat the KIa Souls smile. :shades:
    Enlighten me please. How can the gear ratios be the same?When you pop the clutch, don't you get a little more low end torque?Also can't you get to 5th gear from 3rd gear faster than the auto.(6spd 2.0 be nice)
    On the Mazda 3 I, they have the 5 speed auto matched well.However, they should of offered the 2.0 liter in all models.You have to buy an S model to get a sunroof,which come with a 2.5 liter engine? Gas is inexpensive now,but belive me it's going to be a $ 2.50 to $2.80 in 6 months.This is for good. Product is being put at a fair price for global concerns.
    One quick question, what if you sprayed the wheel wells with Duro Liner to stop road noise(tires) and insulated hood hood with that foam they put on steel girders? I know weight problem, maybe,but on a GT it might work :confuse:
  • mazdazedmazdazed Member Posts: 34
    I bought a spray on Rubber Coating (Not Rubberized Undercoating) from Pep Boys and sprayed the wheel wells on my 09. One can per wheel. It helped. The 2.0 i models do not have the hood insulation liner so I ordered one from the dealer. Don't have it yet. After that I will replace the 17" wheels with 16's so that I can fit a taller sidewall tire. Hopefully that will add some shock absorption and reduce the road noise further. After reading the reviews I am convinced that the Goodyear tires are part of the problem.
    Ok champ, to each his own!
    Does anyone think the Kia Soul is priced a little too high on the higher trims? Especially high for a Kia? Not a bad vehicle, but come on, it still doesn't compare to the Scions, Nissan Cube, MINI, etc? Far better options in the class. Of course, Kia resale value is as bad as it gets.
    Where you gonna put those 4 kids, dad? ;) I have three boys of my own. We have only hadd all five of us in our Mazda3 sedan a couple of times. Needless to say, this is my daily commuter, not the family hauler. But, it did work in a pinch. I even fit all three of their booster seats across the back - barely.
    Just thought I would mention that I really love my Mazda3 this week. It's in the body shop for hail damage repair (I do park in the garage, and was only three blocks from home when the storm hit, dang it.) The rental car is a Chevy HHR and it is one seriously awful POS. Everything from brakes to steering to flimsy cheap looking interior. Yuck. Trying not to let the foul rental car odor color my perception too much. Febreeze did help some. Very little leg room too. I'll be crying when I pay the $500 deductible, but I'll be smiling when I finally get back into my 3 and remember how it feels to drive a real driver's car again.
    Couldn't agree more. I have a 3i touring sedan. Wanted the 2.0 to save money on purchase, and gas mileage has been very good at 31.5 mpg lifetime avg (22K miles). But I'd really like the 5-door body style for the flexibility, and agree it looks really cool. Oh well. Maybe when gas prices go up again, they'll offer a 2.0 wagon.

Although I do differ with you on the 17" wheels. They look great, but again in the name of practicality, I like my 16"s for their smoother ride, longer tread life, and cheaper replacement cost.
    "Although I do differ with you on the 17" wheels. They look great, but again in the name of practicality, I like my 16"s for their smoother ride, longer tread life, and cheaper replacement cost."

Longer tread life? Why would two otherwise identical tires, one in the 16" size and one in the 17" size wear out at different rates on the same car?
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Longer tread life? Why would two otherwise identical tires, one in the 16" size and one in the 17" size wear out at different rates on the same car?

If they're identical model tires, they won't. Unless you drive more aggressively due to the better handling that the 17" size offers in most cases...
    The Mini has the highest resale of of all the cars you mentioned even Mazda, Civic and Corolla.
    Kia,has at least made an effort,but has fallen short. (Tranny,road noise to mention a few) I think next year you'll see alot of changes.A silver one caught my eye,but the red interior that crawled up the dash was sickning.
    I think that the companies like Mini that lets you build your car is the way to go. See that Mazda 2010 ad down in right hand corner of your screen? Find me that color in a Mazda dealership,or brochere. Also,alot Mazdas come with a black interior.
    Do you have a $ 500.00 dedutible on your comprehensive coverage? Comp coverage is for theft, fire,malicious mischief and storm damange. That's a big deductible. I can see $500.00 or a grand for collision to save some pesos. Comp pemium is alot cheaper. :confuse:
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I have $1000 deductible on both collision and comprehensive and I'd likely go higher, if I could. After-all once a car is worth less than about $5K, I drop both completely...which is essentially as if I had $5K deductible.

Comp is cheaper because the cost of claims to the insurance company is cheaper. That does not mean that the insurance company has priced the comprehesive coverage at less than their expected losses, so why pay for more coverage than you need? On average and over time, assuming the insurance company knows it's business and assuming you do not have a plan to engage in fraud, whatever is paid for any coverage will be less than what the policy holders collect in claims.

But, aside from all that, I think you are correct that most do not have the same deductible on collision as they do on comprehensive.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    One more vote for the 2.0 hatch. It just makes sense.
    I was just comparing the tread life of the OE tires 3i vs 3s at the time I bought mine. Perhaps there are better 17"s out there.
    Yeah, carriers in our area will not offer a lower comp deductible because of the frequency of hail storms. As an underwriter, I understand.
    alot of big hail would total a car out. Can you imagine you car being hit by a 1000 ball bean hammers? How do you fix that? :sick:
    They say it will be ready on the 20th. Estimate is $2300. Mostly PDR (paintless dent repair), but some actual body and paint work will be required on the roof.
    Yup, if that Astra 2 dr HB was a 2.0 I'd think about it and heated seats are standard. You buy the 4 door HB Astra and you get a moonroof option.The 2 door doen't offer a moonroof. ( 1.6 liter doesn't do it,but for a Mini)
    I really think Acura goofed dumping the Integra and then the 2.0 RSX and the Type S .
    So, I'm thinking GTI 6 spd. No wabbit! If only Kia put a 2.0 with a 5spd and a short throw tranny and high low end torque.(ya, low resale but a tuner) :shades: