Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Mazda3

Comments

• zar1zar1 Member Posts: 24
    After shopping some dealers this weekend I noticed that some 2010 Mazda 3's that I had previously seen publicly displayed were not out on the dealer's lots. I asked if the cars had been sold and was told that they were ordered by Mazda to remove them from sale until a small replacement part was shipped from Mazda. I was then shown the cars in a back lot with signs saying "Hold from Sale pending Part Replacement from Mazda". The dealer would not identify the part and was hesitant to call it an official recall but unofficially, that's what they referred to it as and they reported that it was only in effect for certain V.I.N.'s. Can any of you insiders shed some light on what this is about? Thanks.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    There is a recall on the wiring harness related to the starter motor. Depending on the VIN, it's either a small replacement clip that clips into the starter or the complete starter wiring harness. There is a potential for the car to stall and not restart.
    Thanks Avi, you always come through with the straight scoop! :)
    I see Mazda and the NHTSA have released official information today. Ref. Mazda Recall # 5409D, NHTSA Campaign ID # 09V126000. Recall to begin May 6th of all 2010's sold to date. (www.safercar.gov). I know that recalls on new models are not uncommon. I just hope that this is the only issue and not a sign of any future, as yet, undiscovered problems.
    Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)
    Recalls - Search Results

1 Record(s) Displayed.
    Report Date : April 21, 2009 at 08:52 AM
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V126000
    Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
    MAZDA / MAZDA3 2010
    Manufacturer: MAZDA MOTOR CORP Mfr's Report Date: APR 15, 2009
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V126000
    N/A
    NHTSA Action Number: N/A
    Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 25400
    Summary:
    MAZDA IS RECALLING 25,400 MY 2010 MAZDA3 VEHICLES. A CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE ENGINE HARNESS AND THE HOUSING OF STARTER MOTOR MAY BE INSUFFICIENT. DUE TO THIS, THE COVERING OF THE HARNESS MAY BE DAMAGED THROUGH VIBRATION DURING OPERATION POSSIBLY CAUSING A SHORT-CIRCUIT BETWEEN CERTAIN HARNESS WIRES AND THE STARTER HOUSING. A SHORT-CIRCUIT CAN RESULT IN ENGINE CONTROL MALFUNCTION AND/OR POOR SHIFT QUALITY.
    Consequence:
    THE MAIN FUSE MAY BLOW OUT CAUSING THE ENGINE TO STALL AND INABILITY OF RESTART, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL HAVE THE ENGINE HARNESS INSPECT AND ADD A PROTECTOR CLIP ON THE AFFECTED SECTION OF THE HARNESS. IF NECESSARY, THE HARNESS WILL BE REPAIRED. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON MAY 6, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MAZDA AT 1-800-222-5500.
    Notes:
    MAZDA RECALL NO. 5409D. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
    rule
  • sonnyrockersonnyrocker Member Posts: 127
    Another reason why 2009 model of the 1st generation Mazda3 is better.
  • gamerguy73gamerguy73 Member Posts: 13
    The initial "batch" of the 2004 Mazda 3s also had a recall notice; I should know, mine was one of them and never had a problem after the chip was updated.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    My 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 had a sales hold placed on it until the upgraded motor mount was installed.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

My 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 had a sales hold placed on it until the upgraded motor mount was installed.

There was never a "sales hold" on the 2007 Speed3's. There was couple instances of a motor mount issue, but, I believe no vehicles were recalled and sales were not placed on hold.
  • jb66jb66 Member Posts: 8
    I agree, If anyone has their heart set on the 2010 wait until this time next year and get deals that we are getting on the 2009's A lot of car for the money.
    There was never a "sales hold" on the 2007 Speed3's. There was couple instances of a motor mount issue, but, I believe no vehicles were recalled and sales were not placed on hold.

Well, here's the Mazda Dealer Recall Notice. The last paragraph on page 1 states:

The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act prohibits the delivery of any subject vehicle without performing the necessary repair for defects or failures. Failure to perform applicable recalls before delivery can result in extensive dealer fines and penalties from the Federal Government. Therefore, you must complete this recall for all affected vehicles in your inventory prior to delivery. (emphasis added)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Although I really like the 2010 model, my gut is telling me to wait for the second model year (2011). The initial demand of the new body style will die down by then, too. I can soldier on in my 2006 MZ3 5-door for another year or so...
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    I stand corrected!!

None of the vehicles at my store were affected. I guess that's why we did not see a sales stoppage!
  • marsdogmarsdog Member Posts: 9
    How do I know if my vehicle is affected? It shows no recalls on my mymazda.com page, but I bought it the last day of March, before the recall was announced, so I assume it will effect me, but how can I be sure? Thanks!
    None of the vehicles at my store were affected. I guess that's why we did not see a sales stoppage!

Yeah, it must have been somewhat of a geographical thing- as to which dealers had the older cars. When I bought my MS3 in 2007 my dealer had to get the car I wanted trucked in from another dealer- and that dealer couldn't release it until the new bolt was installed. No big deal, and no motor mount problems since!

Mars, Mazda isn't releasing any information to the public at this time. I'm not sure why the reluctance, but the Natl. Highway Transp. Safety Admin. (NHTSA) report notes that the recall will begin May 6th, even though Mazda reported the potential safety hazard on April 15th. It may be that they need to wait for parts to arrive to address the hazard. All I know is that when I called Mazda headquarters and the contact number listed by the NHTSA on Friday, April 24th, Mazda customer service said that they had no information whatsoever on the subject and were unaware of it. Also, when I selected the "recall info" option at Mazda, this recall was not yet referenced. With 25,400 Mazda 3 2010's being recalled, it would appear that almost all, if not all cars shipped to the U.S. so far, will need to be inspected. Expect to be contacted by Mazda on or about May 6th. For most it should be a quick install of a clip unless damage has already been sustained to the wiring harness.
  • marsdogmarsdog Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for all the details!
  • yvanhyvanh Member Posts: 8
    :confuse:
    With all respect sonnyrocker, check the facts (or take a test drive) first before posting something like this, I almost chocked reading it.

DSG is actually a dual clutch mechanism that (with the help of a computer) helps to pre-determine your next move.. long story short, if you're accelerating the 2nd cluth plate will be sync with the next gear, so when you request it, is already there, making the gear change (literally) inmediate, on braking conditions the opposite occurs.. if you just take your foot out of the gas and do a up or down shift, you let the computer to decide, so it might take a bit longer (like a regular tiptronic) and/or actually do the opposite that you want. (like upshifting when you wanted to downshift but you were in high revs.. makes sense for a computer)

DSG is currently considered the BEST consumer transmission on the market with very close approaches by Mitsubishi on the Lancer Evo, and Nissan's GT-R versions.

I would recommend anybody to take a VW GTI, EOS, Audi A3, TT or any of them fitterd with a DSG tranny for a test drive so you can be amazed by it. I had an A3 loaner for 2 months and had a BLAST with it, I let an exceptical co-worker (who btw owns a mazda 3 now) drive the car, and almost bought a VW. There was just a few # of people that could keep up w/ me during daily driving on twisties and corners.

The 2010 Mazda 3 is a heck of a car, the Auto tranny is good and the "auto-manual" is not bad (actually a bit quicker than many I've driven), but, is no DSG. If Mazda can pull a dual-clutch system on the 3's, I bet it'll own the market.

Not a rant, please don't take it that way; I'm like you, a die-hard manual shift driver; however, I do recognize that with systems like DSG, the manual transmission has it's days counted.
    :)
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I have to disagree here...

I've driven an A3 with the DSG as well as two GTIs, and the DSG is simply a glorified automatic transmission. Yes, it shifts faster (usually) than most automatics, and yes, it shifts faster (usually) than a manual transmission as well, but who cares. It's still an automatic transmission. Ugh, no thanks.

Best regard,
    Shipo
    Right on, Shipo. My point exactly.
  • cam964cam964 Member Posts: 2
    Be aware of Toms River Auto Maill, Mazda dealer in NJ. They quote you one price and then when you decide the next day to go through with the deal, they tell you there is no way they can sell the car at a lost. Just a heads up.
    That's why its a good idea to get the quote in writing, or email.
    Good job on posting this, and let them know that you will alert others of their "reputation" all over the Net.
    BTW,
    Honda Bommarito in St. Louis did that to me. They quoted me a price for a manual shift Civic. When I showed up, they didn't have any manual shifts at all.
    Guess what? I made the best decision I can make, I bought me a Mazda 3. Honda's lost. Too bad, so sad.
    I love Honda, but their dealers have ego issues by betting on Honda sells itself, so they are jerks. They will never earn my business if they don't change their way.
    Yes, it shifts faster (usually) than most automatics, and yes, it shifts faster (usually) than a manual transmission as well, but who cares. It's still an automatic transmission. Ugh, no thanks.

Exactly. I drove a GTI with DSG and I honestly didn't like it as well as the ZF slushbox BMW uses in the 335i.
    A true manual trumps them all.

• tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I've driven an A3 with the DSG as well as two GTIs, and the DSG is simply a glorified automatic transmission.

I'll start this by saying I have NOT driven a DSG.

However, one of the huge benefits of DSG, and one of the reasons I love to drive stick, is NOT the shifting. If I loved shifting I would love automanuals as well.

DSG's big advantage is that it does NOT SLIP. It is always in hard contact. So when you push the gas, it goes. Just like a stick when in gear. None of that rubbery, sloppy, push the gas pedal to the floor to get some acceleration. It is in direct contact engine to transmission to wheels. I've often theorized that the reason I like stick is because I HATE that slippy connection provided by an automatic.

I really need to get out and drive one!
    I have to tell you, I'm not seeing your point. A great many automatic transmissins (slush boxes included) have locking torque converters that form a hard link between the engine and the drive axles. As roadburner mentioned in an earlier post, the slushbox based automatic in the 335i drives easily as well as the DSG, and even better in some circumstances (such as when you lift off the throttle when the computer was expecting you to keep the hammer down) when the computer controlling the DSG has the wrong gear selected.

Said another way, an automatic is an automatic is an automatic, regardless of whether it's a slushbox or a DSG.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I have to tell you, I'm not seeing your point. A great many automatic transmissins (slush boxes included) have locking torque converters that form a hard link between the engine and the drive axles.

But the torque converters only lock up once a cruising speed is reached.
    I know my current automatic Acura TL is a great car, but it still has that rubbery delay while the engine revs and the transmission decides to grab. Just like our previous Odyssey and Villager. Like all automatics I've ever driven.

I *have* ridden in a BMW with the transmission you mention. I found it very rough to shift and not that enjoyable. The DSG is much smoother shifting.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I agree (though I've not driven a DSG either), but what I still like about manuals, though I no longer drive one, is the lack of slush, Stepping on a clutch and moving a lever around just was never all that exciting.

The other advantages of manuals have pretty much disappeared.
  • hiwaystarhiwaystar Member Posts: 10
    After a month and about 1,000 miles I'm getting between 29 and 30 MPG's.

I live in a rural area and do mostly highway driving, or at least highway speeds. I'd say my avg highway speed is 71/72 MPH. Not alot of traffic or stop and go driving.

I have the 2010 Grand Touring with the 2.5L Auto.
  • relldonrelldon Member Posts: 8
    Thanks a lot for your input. I would expect that your MPG would go up as the car gets more broken in, all other things being equal. Let me know what it is after 3000 miles. The average speed for my commute on rural roads would be more likely at 60 to 65 MPH so I would expect slightly better MPG due to the lower speeds.
  • yvanhyvanh Member Posts: 8
    as I respect them all, and it's funny because the initial comment was (from the technical standpoint) to say that DSG is not pure automatic because it uses 2 clutches.
    Secondly, it was not the intention to create a transmission war, I just wished that the new Mazda 3 had something similar as the DSG to make it even more fun to drive than the current automatic.

Again.. I've driven all the mentioned transmissions, Manual is my prefered choice ALWAYS, and for a car like the Mazda 3 my choice would be manual, unless there was an option like DSG.

My previous 2 Audis (A4 and S4) and my current 08Aveo5 -which is a blast because that little car has almost no electronics, no abs, no traction control, no power windows, no a/c- were all manual. DSG on car loaner and test drives (A3, GTI), Automatic and Steptronnic on BMW (currently own X3 and car loaners 328, 335).

For my taste, the Mazda 3 has a very well weight, right size, good power, really good suspension and the only way I can think to make a good car even better, is by adding somehting like DSG that offers the fun of the sprited driving and the convenience of fully automatic -in traffic, or holding a cellphone, or just taking care of your passangers ;) -

Video of How DSG works

DSG on Wikipedia
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    An update on the upcoming Mazda2 by Keith Morgan of The Province:

"The Mazda2 -- the 2008 World Car of the Year -- will be sold in Canada within the next year. Everybody at the New York auto show a year ago was stunned when the subcompact scooped the prestigious title because it wasn't even available in North America. Mazda Canada immediately began lobbying for its inclusion on its roster and dealerships across the nation joined the chorus. Mazda Motor Corp. president and CEO Takashi Yamanouchi heard the call and quietly let the word out at this year's Big Apple show that the Mazda2 would indeed soon be challenging the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Hyundai Accent and Chevrolet Aveo for primacy in the hot market segment. The initial reluctance was caused by fears over jeopardizing the new Mazda3's success, but strong sales figures seem to have diminished concern. Mazda's former partner Ford, which has announced the launch here next year of its Fiesta, may have forced the Japanese manufacturer's hand, as the Fiesta sits on the Mazda2 platform. Expect to see a hatchback version of the Mazda2."

Yes!
    I would assume if they bring it to Canada, they will also bring it to the US???
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    I already took a test drive of the made-in-Germany Fiesta in California. For the first time I actually think my boring-steering 2000 Civic w/ multi-link double-wish-bones all around is pretty good dynamically. LOL Because with only electric pwr steering & lack of multi-link rear suspension, the Fiesta/Mazda2 just can't be so great in both ride & road holding . The 1.6 engine developed by Mazda was very smooth to rev, though.

I am glad I am still keeping my two other cars -- the real compact version (2600+lbs) "Mazda3's" -- that are much more lovable dynamically than my Civic -- the '90 Protege twin-cam & the '07 Focus 2.3 ST, both of which still got pure hydraulic pwr steering. Because the new Mazda3 is mid size in every way except refinement! Car & Driver still complained about its ride & quietness plus the compact-size rear leg room, while gaining all the weaknesses of a mid-size car -- 2.5's balance-shaft-wasted inferior performance/mpg to that of the BMW 3.0 6-cyl, & the bulky width/length/weight. Besides, do you still have to get the heavy motorized seat in order to tilt your seat cushion?

The only detail that impressed me is the reappearance of the Euro-style diagonal driver's inside door handle since its discontinuation after the 1991 Protege. Boy, don't you hate those nerdy horizontal aft-locating door handle so typical of Japanese cars all the way from even the sporty/drifty RWD Corolla's to the Lexus?
  • joe0302joe0302 Member Posts: 16
    When did Mazda break off from Ford? I thought the Focus coming here was a hot HB and the R model,but maybe we are getting the regular dumb down versions Of Eurpean cars,because of the value of the Euro?
    Thanks,
    Joe
    Mazda has not (and most likely will not) break off from Ford. That said, last fall Ford reduced its ownership stake in Mazda from ~33% to ~13%.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    I would assume if they bring it to Canada, they will also bring it to the US???

It's unclear to me how either Mazda USA or Mazda Canada choose their model lineups. For the USA, the allure of the small car is not engrained as much as it seems in other parts of the world. The auto landscape in Canada has a distinct preference for small cars and Canada is one of the top markets for the Mazda3. Bringing the Mazda2 makes sense, especially to compete with the subcompact sedans like the Hyundai Accent, Nissan Versa and even Toyota Yaris. But the Europeans outdo us all; not only do they have both the Mazda2 and Mazda3 they have more versions of them, including diesels.
  • relldonrelldon Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know how long it would take to get a 2010 Mazda 3 special ordered from the factory in Japan? Also, should I expect to pay more, less or the same price as a similar vehicle already on the dealer's lot?

John
    3 1/2 to 4 months from the time the order is placed until it arrives on dealer lots.

You should negotiate a price for the special order and sing a purchase order for that price. The only thing that is unknown is the incentives that will be available when your car arrives.
  • joe0302joe0302 Member Posts: 16
    I agree small is beautiful.However,how about a small car like the,Versa,Yaris,Fit,Scion and Mazda 2 that offer a DOHC V tec 2.0 liter that offer options like heated seats,power sunroof and leather.
    I'm thinking like the Integra, GTI, and the RSX.I sort of liked the Kia Soul it appears to be nice3 but,after trying one and manual transmission wasn't smooth.Also,18' tires didn't help for a nice ride.
    Saturn has the Astra 2dr HB with heated seats ,but no sunroof.The 1.6 L engine doesn't cut it either. I tried the Mini S 6spd and it had all I wanted as I use it as a 2 seater. It was a 6spd, performance pkg.with heated seats. The price was $24380.00 it's a rocket,but you feel you should be on a go cart track.
    So it looks like I'll be getting a GTI.However, the 2010 model is 3k more.
    How come in Europe they get the hot small cars and the ones they send over here are dumb downed?Fiesta and Opel's Astra for example. :confuse:
    well, Happy Motoring
    How come in Europe they get the hot small cars and the ones they send over here are dumb downed?

One reason is for most americans to buy a small car it has to be cheap. Cars, in general, are much cheaper in the US. The Golf (not GTI) starts at the equivalent of about $21,000 in UK.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/
  • tinoctinoc Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I bought the 5-door GT with the Moon-Roof/Bose System package and Tech package. Considering that it is an upgraded package, the Bose sound system on my car doesn't seem quite up to par. I'm taking it back to the dealer for an inspection. Hopefully they find something wrong and fix it. If they find nothing is wrong, I'll be stuck with it :-(
    Anyone here have similar experience?

Thanks.
    I agree small is beautiful.However,how about a small car like the,Versa,Yaris,Fit,Scion and Mazda 2 that offer a DOHC V tec 2.0 liter that offer options like heated seats,power sunroof and leather.

To each his own. A light machine with good handling that's the key for me.
    To each his own. A light machine with good handling that's the key for me.

Me too; that's why I love my Club Sport; 2700 lbs., 152 hp, and(thankfully) RWD. I special ordered it in 1995 so I could get a LSD without a stupid hole in the roof. I'm NEVER going to sell it. :shades:

• dilbertsdubdilbertsdub Member Posts: 16
    Test drove the Mazda 3 i touring with 5spd man. A nice little car, that I would say is on par with my Jetta as far as interior quality and materials. Although I think in terms of features/equipment available that perhaps the Mazda 3 S sport would be more my Jetta's equivalent.

Ride and handling are also quite good. Although I did find the test vehicle seemed under-tired with the 16's. I currently have 17"s on the Jetta and perhaps am just used to the ride.

I highly recommend that anyone upgrade to the bose as the base system is underwhelming in my opinion.
  • usf813usf813 Member Posts: 8
    So I finally have decided to get rid of my '97 Civic for a new car. I looked at the '09 Mazda 3 last year and really liked it, but wasn't in a financial position to get a new car. Now I am and I must say i'm not overly impressed with the '10. The iTouring lost it's fog lights, side turn blinkers, leather wrapped stearing wheel, and TEMP GUAGE??. Ummm what happens if the car starts to overheat? How on earth are you going to pull off the road and turn the darn thing off before you start seeing smoke? I can live with the grill, especially with the graphite color.

Maybe i'll try to find an '09 iTouring. I know they are harder to find these days. That or i'm back to Honda.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    The iTouring lost it's... TEMP GUAGE??. Ummm what happens if the car starts to overheat? How on earth are you going to pull off the road and turn the darn thing off before you start seeing smoke?

Temperature gauges these days are NOTHING like the gauges found in cars 20 years ago. Basically, it's an idiot light that takes the form of a needle and a blue and red stripe painted at each end. The coolant temperature fluctuates when the engine is operating, yet just about all temp. needles don't even move after it reaches operating temperature. A more accurate gauge would at least show the fluctuations...

We're lucky there are still gas gauges these days, since they're a VERY rough estimation of fuel levels in most modern cars as well.
    Ummm what happens if the car starts to overheat? How on earth are you going to pull off the road and turn the darn thing off before you start seeing smoke?

There is an overheating light that will come on if the engine starts to run hot.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    To be honest, a warning light is probably more effective than a coolant temperature gauge. Most drivers don't keep a constant eye on the temp gauge, but a warning light will be noticed immediately. Just think about how many miles you could travel with the needle pegged on 'H' (Hot) before you noticed....

Since you prefer the '09 bodystyle over the new 2010 model, you're in luck! You can get a GREAT DEAL on an '09 (temp gauge and all)! ;)

The '09 model is actually called the Touring Value (replaced the regular 'Touring' in the 2008.5 mid-year refresh). The 'Value' model upgraded the following compared to the "i Touring" trim level that it replaced:

Leather-wrapped shift knob
    Leather-wrapped steering wheel
    Piano black interior trim panel
    17" Alloy Wheels (from the 's' Touring/Grand Touring)
    P205/50VR17 tires (vs. previous P205/55HR16)
    Body-colored grille (vs. black)
    Fog lights
    Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS)*
    Side-Impact Airbags (SAB) & Side Airbag Curtains (SAC)*
    Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)*
    *previously optional on i Touring models as the "ABS/SAB/SAC Package".

The i Touring Value gives the look of an 's Touring' for about $2000 less. The main difference was that the 'i' has the 2.0L engine vs. the 2.3L in the 's'.

There are still a lot of 2009 i Touring Value models available. Using the 'Search Inventory' link on the MazdaUSA.com website, I found 133 i Touring Values with Automatic and 16 with Manual (within 250 miles of my Atlanta area zip code). The Edmunds TMV price for the i Touring Value Automatic is only $15,230 ($18,665 MSRP, $17,529 Invoice Price) which reflects a $2000 rebate. The TMV is only $14,400 on the i Touring Value Manual....it doesn't get any better than that!!!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    To be honest, a warning light is probably more effective than a coolant temperature gauge. Most drivers don't keep a constant eye on the temp gauge, but a warning light will be noticed immediately. Just think about how many miles you could travel with the needle pegged on 'H' (Hot) before you noticed...

So, why not pair a warning light with an ACCURATE temperature gauge? I hate, hate, HATE those "buffered" gauges.