Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Mazda3

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You are missing the point. I was talking about a solution to providing both sporty and fuel-saving gearing in the same car. The Jetta/Rabbit is hampered (for FE) by a thirsty, big 5-cylinder engine. How about putting a tri-mode shifter like that of the Jetta/Rabbit into a lighter car with a more efficient engine--like the Mazda3 for example? Let the driver select "sporty" or "fuel efficient". And put taller gearing on the upper gear(s) of the manual tranny while they're at it.

I was not aware the Mazda3 has a tri-mode (sport/normal/manumatic) 6-speed automatic transmission available. My mistake!

As for leap-frogging, the Jetta/Rabbit wasn't the car I was thinking of. Although I do prefer the Jetta/Rabbit in some areas compared to the Mazda3, including ride comfort, interior quality, AT flexibility, and (especially) front-end styling. Anyway, you are forgetting about some of the "direct competition" here. Just because you don't consider some cars competition for the Mazda3 doesn't mean others cannot, for example:
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/05/19/first-drive-2010-kia-forte.htm
  • blackadder5639blackadder5639 Member Posts: 31
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Mazda 3's front-end styling either. Honestly, it's wack!

The Mazda 3s' automatic is actually a 5-spd. It has just normal and manumatic modes......although it has "adaptive shift logic" that is able to determine (from pressure on the gas, for example) whether you wanna drive sporty or not and shift itself accordingly.

Actually, no multi-mode auto transmission that I know of actually changes gear ratios (except perhaps in expensive cars like the 7-series or S-Class). In affordable cars like the Mazda 3 and the Rabbit, the sport/normal mode simply changes the shift points......so, for example, in normal mode, it will change from 3rd to 4th at 2500 rpm in normal mode and 4000 rpm in sport mode.

Oh, the Rabbit 4-door is sold only in automatic! That sucks.........if you want the manual, you have to stick to the 2-door! :( Well, luckily, I prefer the Mazda 3....
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well good thing I have a 3-door Rabbit then! :) But I went for the 6AT, for three reasons: 1) I got tired of DW and kids ruining clutches, 2) traffic is getting terrible in my city and driving in rush hour (when I normally drive) with a stick is no longer any fun at all, and 3) the RPMs are 2100 at 70 mph--very quiet, relaxed cruising on the highway.
  • blackadder5639blackadder5639 Member Posts: 31
    2100 rpm at 70 mph? Wow! And with all that torque, I'm sure passing power is still decent at those speeds!

My Protege5 (5-spd manual) does 3,300 rpm at 70 mph! The engine noise is actually nice at that speed (I'm not a quiet car kinda person).....I love it on smooth roads and interstates.....it's the road/tire noise on not-so-smooth roads that gets tiring on long trips, LOL!
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    2100 rpm at 70 mph? Wow! And with all that torque, I'm sure passing power is still decent at those speeds!

The 6th gear in the auto is an extra overdrive gear. This is essentially the gear that is missing from VW's 5 speed manual, so that is something you lose by taking the 5 speed manual in the case of the Jetta. As for passing, the auto is very smooth shifting and will quickly drop down when you step on it, there is also the option to down shift manually, by flipping over to tiptronic mode, in advance of a passing maneuver. The only minor gripe I have with the auto is I don't understand why they locked out 6th in sport mode...not a big deal since we pretty much just leave it in normal mode.

Mazda is about the same, at least in the case of my version of the 6. My 4th gear in the 5 speed auto is nearly the same as 5th gear in the manual.
  • metsjetsmetsjets Member Posts: 12
    Hey, I think that by reading your posts I have my answer. but i will ask it anyway.

I am looking to buy a 2010 mazda3 (i touring). I will probably not have enough time to test drive the vehicle before i buy it (or atleast untill the day i plan to buy it). I just really need to know... Does the vehicle move?? For example, if im driving on the highway and traffic is moving at about 75mph slightly up hill and i want to pass someone, will i be able to easily?? Thank you.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Jeremy Cato, a seasoned auto columnist from Toronto's Globe and Mail, said a number of interesting things in his recent evaluation of the Mazda3.

"Mazda also tried to improve performance and fuel efficiency by taking out weight. In key areas, Mazda swapped regular steel for more expensive and stronger high-tensile steel. So the structure is stronger and more rigid, yet less weighty. Still, the Mazda3 is heavier than a Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic, comparably equipped. Thus, fuel economy - 8.1 litres/100 km city/5.9 highway, using regular gas - is okay, but not outstanding. "

The article generally praises the Mazda3 and concludes with the following: "That and good quality, solid safety scores and competitive pricing mean Honda cannot ignore the Mazda3 - not if Honda wants the Civic to own the top sales spot."

In other words, the Mazda3 is a contender but has to work on issues like fuel economy to be the leader.
  • sonnyrockersonnyrocker Member Posts: 127
    I will have to disagree with critics on this one.
    First of all, Mazda is heavier because it has a 2.3 or 2.5 engine vs. say Civice 1.8.
    However, you get a faster and a little more powerful car. The added weight is offset by Mazda's spirited engine, IMO

2nd, I get 35 miles/gal on the highway with my 09. I monitor closely with my gas, and I average (city and highway) 31/gal. A friend of mine actually gets 33/gal average, but he does a lot of little stuff to improve his gas mileage, I don't. To me, 31/gal average is EXTREMELY competitive.
    31/gal average

Yes, that's a good average. A few questions about your calculation.
    1. How long a period does your average cover? Example: 6 months, 1 year.
    2. For that period, did you calculate the total mileage travelled and the total fuel used?
    3. Where was the car driven? Example: North Eastern US, Southern US
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    The 2.0L MZ3 has similar performance to the 1.8L Honda Civic (automatic). The upgrade to a 5-speed automatic (from a 4-speed in the '09) should improve passing performance (and fuel economy) slightly, too.

Whether it meets your specific needs is a question that only you can answer! Take the time to test drive the 2.0L and see if it is quick enough for you. Test drive an 's' model (2.5L) for comparison also.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • hiwaystarhiwaystar Member Posts: 10
    I have now passed 4,000 on the odometer and still getting 29/30 MPG on my 2010 Mazda3S GT, 2.5L.

Did take one 900 mile round trip to ST Louis last month and hit 30/31MPG at an average speed 72-73MPH

Also am still quite satisfied with this car thus far. It's not as quick as my old 2006 Passat with the 2.0L Turbo that I traded for it but the savings at the pump, now that I'm buying 87 octane vs. 93, more than makes up for that.
  • sonnyrockersonnyrocker Member Posts: 127
    29/30 MPG for 2.5 average is VERY good. I don't know what you are complaining about.
    But on a side note...I thought the 2.5 requires high octane than 87, is it not?
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Nope. Both Mazda engines require regular (87 octane).
  • relldonrelldon Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the update. I purchased a 2010 Mazda 3 S sport with 6 speed manual transmission two weeks ago and I love it. The 2.5 L gives me about 30 MPG on my daily commute to work which is on a 4 lane highway that I drive at 65 MPH. For now, I'm keeping an eye on the average MPG reading and the current MPG reading. But I suspect that, after a bit, I'll stop paying attention to that and just enjoy the zoom. I've received many complements about the car. The exterior is very attractive but it is the interior that I most enjoy. Unlike before, I enjoy the prospect of getting in the car in the morning for my daily commute.

When I was trying to decide whether to buy this car or a hybrid, a co-worker helped me decide by asking if I was more likely to regret not buying this car or more likely to regret not buying the hybrid. Unless gasoline goes to $6 per gallon, I know I would have been more likely to regret not buying this car.
  • unicorn62unicorn62 Member Posts: 13
    Relldon: I also have the 2010 mazda3s sport automatic. I have got as little as 25mpg's and as high as 35mpg's combined, but it depends on the gas you buy. I have better luck with shell gas and my range gose up to 515. Relldon what color did you get. I have the light blue and it gets alot of looks.
  • jbbeveljbbevel Member Posts: 28
    I'm wavering between....

Celestial Blue

Gunmetal Blue

or

Liquid Silver. Crystal White Pearl is intriguing.. but I don't know if I want a white car.
    jbbevel, I have the celestreal blue and it doesn't show the dirt, the liquid silver will be the same, The white will show the dirt but it is a nice color and cost more. The lighter the car the easier to cool off compared to a dark color.
    The Celestial Blue and Gunmetal Blue are my two top picks! I originally tried to find my '06 MZ3 in a color called Winning Blue, which was very similar to Celestial Blue. They were hard to find, though....so I ended up with Titanium Gray.

IMO, pearl white doesn't fit the look/character of the Mazda3. It's a color I'd expect to see on a luxury car, but not on a sporty compact. I prefer a pure white, but it's not very common anymore.

That being said, at least the Crystal White Pearl has a choice of either Black or Dune (beige) interior (as do Black and Graphite). Both Blues (and Silver) only have Black interior. I thought the combination of Graphite with Dune interior would be tacky, but I was really surprised when I saw it in person.

But still, I'd vote for Celestial Blue...it's really a sharp-looking color and fits the car perfectly!
    35 MPG is fantastic. I wish that I could attain that level on a consistent basis. But, again, I'm willing to sacrifice MPGs a little for performance. That's why I didn't choose a Honda Insight. My car is a liquid silver metallic which was surprisingly difficult to find in a manual transmission. But I'm glad I found it. Thanks for the tip about Shell gas. I'll give it a try and see if it makes any difference for me.
  • hiwaystarhiwaystar Member Posts: 10
    I didn't realize I was complaining. In fact I'm not complaining at all.

All I said was it does not have the "pick up/ballz" that the VW 2.0T had with it's 210HP which I knew going in. And even though the mileage is the same between them I like only needing to buy 87 octane with the Mazda.
    I must give credit where it is due- the VW 2.0L Turbo is the smoothest turbo I've ever driven! Most turbochargers are like an on/off switch, fairly gutless until you hit a certain rpm then they pin you back in your seat. VW tuned the 2.0L for low and mid-range torque, so it acts more like a big V6.

Then again, the on/off pin you back in the seat thrust of the MAZDASPEED3 is a lot of fun, too! I could get in some serious trouble with that kind of power. :D

Back on topic- 30/31mpg is very impressive. I have a 2006 MZ3 with the 2.3L and 5-speed manual and I average about 26mpg overall. The best I've ever managed on a trip is 28.4mpg with the cruise set on 75mph driving from Atlanta to Birmingham. That 6th gear would be very useful!
    relldon: The 35mpg's is when i fill the car up with gas and i get my combined mileage of 35mpg's, But there are some times i got 25mpg's going faster than norm for me. Sorry to say its not constant. I don't drive the car like a sport car i drive normly, not a heavy foot or light foot. Yes i find that using shell gas i get 515 to 520 on the range you can go on a full tank.
    Trying to decide how much better the BOSE stereo would be compared to the stock am/fm cd .

Any 2010 owner's have an opinion?
    I recently bought a 2010 Mazda 3 with sunroof and BOSE stereo. If you get the BOSE stereo with the sunroof it would be worth it as it is a little better than standardl But I wouldn't buy the BOSE stereo alone as I don't think that it is that much better than the standard stereo.
  • maz3hatchmaz3hatch Member Posts: 2
    Im getting the Crystal White Pearl, with tinted windows. the contrast of that is really going to make it pop out.

Celestial Blue is not bad either, nice to look at, but I don't see myself as a guy driving in that color.

Gunmetal Blue looks a bit dull to me.
    -------------------------------------------------
    My top 3 were, the black, graphite or white.

I just went driving around town, and saw a lot of lexus with white body and tinted windows, especially with the speckle paint it should really pop out.

who cares if it's 200 bucks for the white, i think it's probably the best look.
  • maz3hatchmaz3hatch Member Posts: 2
    im getting a mz3 hatch, I hear a lot of comments that the standard and the bose are not that big of a difference. I sat in a mz3 2010 and the standard quality is good enough for me.
  • twinkies69twinkies69 Member Posts: 4
    A most educated and proper response regarding the market enthusiast that Mazda is targeting. What constructed discussion can be had if an opinion is already skewed before the discussion has had a chance to commence in an open forum?
    The color is called Crystal White Pearl on both the 2009 and the 2010 models, but I saw a 2010 at the dealership last week in this color. It looks much better than it did on the '09 MZ3, less 'pearl' more 'white'. I wonder they just kept the color name, but altered the hue? Or am I just seeing things?
  • fuguf1shfuguf1sh Member Posts: 2
    That's decent... I have an 06 2.3 5-speed and get about 31 mpg at 75. If I keep the speed down to 64-65 I will average 34-35 mpg per tank on my highway commutes.
    I guess holding the line on mpg while delivering more displacement, HP and torque is pretty commendable.

Still trying to come to terms with the new styling...
  • murray15murray15 Member Posts: 1
    On 2010 Mazda3 I Touring -- are the white on black indicators on the interior of the front doors supposed to illuminate at night so that they can be seen? (ie. mirror controls). They do so on our Honda Civic but they don't on the Mazda3 -- and we're trying to figure out if the indicators on the front door just aren't supposed to illuminate, or whether there is a problem. It can be challenging at night without the indicators on door being able to be seen. Thanks.
    Not sure about the i Touring... I have the Sport Hatchback and the illumination of the door handles (including the windows, and mirror adjustment) is done by a cool blue light that lights up at night. It's easy to see, and gives a very cool effect. There's also a directed blue light that lights up my manual stick shift... It's very cool.
  • movinout77movinout77 Member Posts: 14
    I thought I was just a few days from buying a new Mazda 3, but now I'm not so sure.

I've read that JD Power & Associates rates the Mazda 3 as being much less reliable than some of the other cars I'm considering (e.g., Corolla, Civic).

I also just read an article that came out today that Mazda is among the worst in terms of a recent customer satisfaction survey.

Yet, this car seems to get great reviews everywhere. Are the reviewers weighing performance and other factors much more heavily than reliability? This is not the way I'd prioritize things as a long-time Toyota guy who can't seem to get a fair price on a Corolla these days. Is there some sort of bias against Mazda in the way they came up with the ratings?

Thanks.
    I don't know how they could possibly be rating reliability, since it is a brand new model.

Car review generally are not about "reliability" at all. As far as I know CR is the only one that considers that in their recomendations, but even there it has nothing to do with how they rank the vehicles it's just that they will not recommend a car unles it gets at least an average rating on their reliability surveys.
  • movinout77movinout77 Member Posts: 14
    Yeah, I can't imagine that these ratings would be based on the 2010's. Still, if the ratings are so low based on prior years' experience, I'm a bit hesitant to buy without knowing why.

Just out of curiosity, do you know where this car stands with respect to CR's recommendation?
    The hatchback was just reviewed in the august issue. It was ranked 6th, among
    "small wagons and hatchbacks".
    Ahead of it were:
    Mazda5 Touring
    Volkswagen Rabbit S
    Toyota Prius Touring (2009)
    Volkswagen Jetta SE (2.5)
    Hyundai Elantra Touring

They also listed predicted reliability as above average.
    As others have mentioned here, Consumer Reports is the best place for auto reliability information. They have the largest user base and they have been doing their surveys for decades. J.D. Power provides more limited information; for example their initial quality survey covers the first 90 days of ownership.

The Mazda3 is one of the most reliable cars one can buy. There are, of course, caveats. Any new model is more prone to reliability issues than a model that has been around for a number of years. Since this model year is new for both the Toyota Corolla and Mazda3, you may consider waiting until the bugs are ironed out from a new model year. For more information, consult Consumer Reports.

Other important factors you may want to consider in comparing these vehicles are fuel efficiency and resale value, if you are planning to sell the car in the future. Mazda3 has good but not great fuel efficiency; the Corolla is better, the Civic Hybrid best. From a resale point of view the dynamic duo, Toyota and Honda, still reign supreme.
  • bgfbgf Member Posts: 3
    The Mazda3 is supposed to be a fun car. If I want to save gas alone, I'd walk or ride my bike for short trips. :)

I think we have beaten the MPG to death. Backy can by the Rogue or Corolla. :)
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Mazda3 has good but not great fuel efficiency;

How funny everyone forgets that the Mazda3 i has a 25/33 mpg rating with MORE power then Corolla and Civic. Last I checked, a 25/33 rating is not considered "not great".

Please, do not bring up the Mazda3 s either, it gets the same fuel economy as the Corolla S and has more power then the Corolla S.

As for resale, the Mazda3 is on par with the Corolla and Civic.

MAZDA3 GETS GOOD FUEL ECONOMY!!!!! PERIOD, END OF CONVERSATION!!!!!!!! GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!
    Consumer Reports is also a great source of real fuel economy ratings! Based on their tests, here's a look at the Mazda3 and some competitors-

City/Highway/Overall Average (all tested on the same roads, same speed, etc.)

Corolla LE 4AT - 23/40/32
    Civic EX 5AT - 18/43/28
    Mazda3 i 5AT- 21/39/28
    Hyundai Elantra GLS 4AT- 18/36/27
    Nissan Sentra 2.0S CVT- 18/34/26
    Ford Focus SES 4AT- 18/35/26
    Mitsubishi Lancer ES CVT- 17/34/25

So the Corolla is the champ of them all by 4mpg overall...but you should also factor in the co-pay for the anti-depressant you'll be needing very soon!
    The Mazda3 i is a match for the Civic overall at 28mpg; and the Civic does a bit better on the highway, but the MZ3 is quite a bit better in the city! The Elantra, Sentra, Focus and Lancer all trail behind the top three.

Obviously the Mazda3 s isn't quite as fuel efficient as the 2.0L 148hp i model. But compared to other models with engines of similar size and/or power, it's very competitive-

Toyota Matrix S 5AT- 19/35/26 (2.4L 158hp)
    Mazda3 s Sport 5AT- 17/34/25 (2.5L 170hp)
    VW Rabbit S 6AT – 16/32/24 (2.5L 170hp)
    Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4AT- 17/31/24 (2.5L 170hp)

As for resale value, the Mazda3 depreciates less than any other Mazda vehicle. I have been very surprised at how well my 2006 Mazda3 s 5-door has held its value, especially since I had only owned Hondas in the past!

According to the Edmunds TCO depreciation projections, the Civic, Corolla and Mazda3 will be will be worth the following percentage of their original cost:

Civic LX-S 5AT- 65.4%
    Toyota Corolla XLE 4AT- 64.8%
    Mazda3 i Touring 5AT- 66.0%

Considering that projections have some margin of error, I think it's fair to say that any difference in residual values will be immaterial! Note- I chose the specific trim levels above because their purchase prices were the closest ($19,358-$19.836). A Civic EX is almost identical at 66.1%, while a Corolla LE drops 2.6% to 62.2%...

Now I've done way too much math for an early Sunday morning and I need a nap. :P
    MAZDA3 GETS GOOD FUEL ECONOMY!!!!! PERIOD, END OF CONVERSATION!!!!!!!!

Agreed. Good ... not great fuel economy. As consumers let's continue to demand that auto manufacturers do better here. Bumping up the horsepower and keeping the same fuel economy is not an improvement; my 2002 Mazda Protege5 has the same rating (25mpg) as the 2010 Mazda3 s. Toyota is on its 3rd generation of Prius, Honda has produced a hybrid Civic. Mazda's response seems out of step with the times. On the other hand, I welcome the arrival of the lighter Mazda2!
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    Mazda2?

We'll get "the better Mazda2" soon: (hint: it's the winner in this 4-car comparison test) :P

4th http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/241339/vw_polo_se_16_tdi_75.h- - tml

3rd http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/241327/mazda_2_sport_16d.html- -

2nd http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/241333/renault_clio_dynamique- - _15_dci_86.html

1st http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/241336/ford_fiesta_zetec_16_t- - dci.html

http://newsletter.autoexpress.co.uk/c/15fiph2HIqsAVzq1ZFJ

Yes, in the cheap world w/o multi-link rear suspension, it's hard to find a car that rides smoother than the Mazda2 while providing more steering feel.

By the way, '02's EPA mpg is not as conservatively rated as in recent years.
    "the better Mazda2"
    Interesting article. Mazda2, Ford Fiesta, Renault Clio, VW Polo ... wouldn't it be a treat to have all of these choices?

By the way, '02's EPA mpg is not as conservatively rated as in recent years.
    Agreed, that's why I prefer Consumer Reports ratings. According to CR there has been no improvement in the combined highway/city mileage of the current Mazda3 s over my 2002 Mazda Protege5.
    If you look at the MPG on fueleconomy.gov, they have adjusted the older figures to estimate what they would be under the new protocol. This shows a 3 mpg improvement for the Mazda3 over a 2002 Protege.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    My 2000 Civic gets the worst mpg, b/c I couldn't stand it's lack of low-end thrust. So I kept revving everytime I accelerate!

My '98 Corolla gets even better mpg than my '90 Protege DOHC (36mpg cruising on the fwy), not just the hwy top-gear low-rpm gearing (good for at least 40mpg cruising on the fwy). But its power below 2000rpm is locomotive strong, more so than my Focus ST's 2.3, which is already a Mazda 2.3 engine retuned with extra low-end torque! So I usually upshift my Corolla just past 2000rpm. & even when passing other cars in the traffic, I almost never have to rev past 2900rpm!
    This shows a 3 mpg improvement for the Mazda3 over a 2002 Protege.

While boasting more power, don't forget.
    If you look at the MPG on fueleconomy.gov, they have adjusted the older figures to estimate what they would be under the new protocol. This shows a 3 mpg improvement for the Mazda3 over a 2002 Protege.

Partially true: compared to my 2002 Mazda P5 2L automatic, the 2010 Mazda3 automatic gets 27 combined for the 2L and 25 for the 2.5L which means the improvement in fuel economy is between 1 and 3 mpg. This represents in 8 years a slight change in fuel economy (from 24 mpg to 25 is negligible; from 24 to 27 is a little over 10%).

My point is rather than boosting the engine size for its 2010 Mazda3 to 2.5L Mazda could have chosen to significantly improve its fuel economy (by for example reducing the weight of the car). Let's see compacts under 3000 pounds and above 30 mpg; even better how does 35 or 40 mpg sound! Mazda knows how to improve its vehicles: see the newest "light weight" M5 (Miata) at the Frankfurt Auto show.
    Yes, I was only comparing the ones with the same engine, the 2L.
    creakid1-

Mazda confirmed last week that the Mazda2 is coming to the U.S. and Canada in late 2010.

The North American spec Mazda2 will be shown at the L.A. Auto Show, which is in December.
    Let's see compacts under 3000 pounds and above 30 mpg

Here's an interesting excerpt from Don Romano, head of Mazda Canada, which talks about Mazda's strategy for the immediate future including how it will respond to consumer and government demands for better fuel efficiency including weight reduction in vehicles. Bravo to Mr. Romano and Mazda!

"While the tough economy we are experiencing attacks the automotive industry on one flank, on the other side of the battlefield is the challenge posed by new government regulations to improve fuel economy and reduce carbon emissions. Mazda's environmental "Sustainable Zoom Zoom" strategy was announced in the fall of 2007. It is based on the assumption that for the rest of this decade, and probably most of the next decade, the vast majority of vehicles sold around the world will be powered by an internal combustion engine. Consequently, Mazda's approach is to make every vehicle it builds as environmentally friendly as possible - as well as fun to drive. Therefore, in the short term we will concentrate on making our gasoline and diesel engines as fuel efficient as possible. Beginning in 2011, Mazda will introduce a new generation of powertrains that, along with improvements in vehicle design and weight reduction, will see an improvement in fuel efficiency of 30 per cent compared to current vehicles. Current test results done on prototype engines indicate that Mazda will meet this objective when the new powertrains are introduced in mass-production vehicles."

Published in the Montreal Gazette Saturday Sept. 19, 2009
  • belle11belle11 Member Posts: 3
    hey aviboy97 -

I was reading through the posts and I saw where you said that you thought the gunmetal blue color would sell well. How is that color selling?

I'm trying to decide which color I like the most and was just wondering which colors have been the most popular? I wanted to see the copper red in person but haven't been able to find one. How does it look in person?