Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Mazda3

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Highlights of the 2010 MAZDA3 sedan include, either as standard or optional:

* Available new 167 horsepower MZR 2.5L engine
    * Self leveling Bi-Xenon headlights
    * Adaptive Front Lighting System
    * Mazda's advanced keyless entry and push-button start
    * Hands-free Bluetooth® cell phone and audio player integration
    * Class-leading levels of reduced wind and road noise
    * Class-leading aerodynamics - 0.29 coefficient of drag
    * A strategically placed Multi-Information Display (MID) that displays important driver information such as audio settings, trip computer and navigation
    * Power driver seat with memory
    * 10 speaker BOSE® Centerpoint surround-sound audio system
  • exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    No highlights for the 2010 MAZDA3 hatchback? That's interesting ...
    You just don't get it do you....they are not showing the 5-door in LA. When the 06 Civic debuted, Honda only showed the sedan first, then the coupe at a later auto show.

I wish I could post the info I have on the Mazda3 5-door from my Mazda Intranet. I could get fired for doing so, so I won't.
    I just got an email about the streaming broadcast of the unveiling. Note that they say this is the "all-new MAZDA3", not the "all-new MAZDA3 sedan".

The next news release will be something like this:
    "Mazda has decided that, due the worldwide economic slump and resulting decrease in auto sales, plans to produce the Mazda3 hatchback model will be delayed."

Then they'll quietly cancel it sometime later.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Ever see the movie “Groundhog Day”.

I'm living it now...

“there's no hatch (boo hoo)”

“yes...there is”

“no, I don't believe it. Life's not fair”

“it is fair...gas is cheaper and Mazda told me they're bringing it”

“no, they didn't tell me...I'm sad”

“it'll be ok...there will be other hatches”

“no there won't...I can't go on...”

REWIND

press PLAY

I'd hate to un-subscribe to this forum, but it's driving me crazy :sick:

How about something like this.

The 6spd manual in the Mazda 6 is the same as the one in the Mazda 3.

The gear ratios are perfectly spaced with the throws nice and short. The shifts are fluid smooth with a positive engagement. The clutch is light but the take-up is near the top with friction point (sweet spot) about 2 inches...or something like that.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Yeah, this is kind of a pointless conversation, eh? When no one has the ability to prove anything right now, it's he said/he said... unless, of course someone has the ability to see into the future, in which case I'd appreciate knowing a few more things in advance.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

You are right, Kristie, this is just plain stupid. I would think that since I have been nothing but correct in everything I have posted in regards to upcoming Mazda's that it would count for something. But, since it is not good enough, here is a statement from Mazda's own website.

Look for the world debut of the all-new 2010 MAZDA3 at this year's LA Auto Show†, with a MAZDA3 five-door hatchback to follow.

It's just outlandish that anyone is listening to someone with absolutely no insight or knowledge pertaining to this car. This makes us all idiotic for actually listening to it.
    But this place is largely anonymous, and no one is going to track your history to see if you have been correct vs incorrect. Is it really THAT important? People will believe what they want, regardless of evidence.

This explains why there are still people who think the first lunar landing was a hoax.

There are many more things to talk about... it's probably best if we leave this particular item behind.

(PS - everyone makes mistakes - no one is "nothing but correct." You spelled my name incorrectly :P )

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

You spelled my name incorrectly

Aww crap!

This explains why there are still people who think the first lunar landing was a hoax.

You had to go there...lol... :sick:
  • smallcarsmallcar Member Posts: 39
    New article and lots of pics: http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature/first_steer/Motive_First_Steer_2010_Mazda3.- - shtml

make sure to check out the gallery and specs links to the right of the article.
    eeeegh.....need to see it in person.
    There are plenty of hints here that Mazda is leaving the option for dropping the Mazda3 hatchback on the table. Add the state of the economy worldwide and I suspect there's a good chance they will drop it, and it's getting more likely by the day. How many of you thought there would be a Mazda6 5-door model after you saw all the spy shots, official Mazda photos, insider info, and press releases. I guess you were wrong about that, eh?
    I wasn't kidding. Let's move on to discussing something... anything... else.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

I really like the interior. The only thing about the exterior that bugs me is the over sized "smile" in the front.

I'm a little disappointed with the 2.0L 4 cyl. It looks like Europe will be the first to get the 2.0L with the start-stop idol technology. That's a bummer. I am happy that FE has been improved.

I'm also disappointed with the FE on the 2.5L. I'm not sure how the Mazda6 has a few more ponies and 1mpg better FE. After reading the first drive review, they seem to really be impressed with the power delivery of the 2.5L.

I watched the live debut online, and I will say the car looks really good when seen at all angles and someone standing next to it.

Overall, I like it. I can't wait to get behind the wheel!
    I agree, I think the smile will be the biggest thing to get used to, but I think it will be ok. I think it will depend a lot on the paint color too. The fuel economy is a little disappointing on the 2.5L, it will be interesting to see some real world numbers once they become available.

Speaking of which... Is there any more information on the expected availability at dealerships?
    I believe our first allocation will be processed December 1st. I'll double check on that. Expect these to be on dealer lots by end of February to early March.
    The 2.5 on the Mazda6 felt a little under-powered; I loved the 6spd. My Mazda6 entry.

I think this output may be more appropriate on the 3
  • draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    I was really excited about the prospects of a new 3, but my god the front end is awful looking. Paint some whiskers on the front and it would look like a large catfish. :cry:
    heh...it's not so bad; probably looks better in person.

I just went for drive in an Acura TL (SH-AWD) and a TSX -- both 09...they look pretty nice in person whereas they look hideous in print (IMO)

• mpg60mpg60 Member Posts: 71
    it looks like the new 3GT will come with a beige/black interior across the board. i saw one online with a leather interior and what looks like the same sangria red on the new 6
    The two red colors offered are Velocity Red (from 04-06) and Copper Red (06, 08.5-09).

The GT's for 2010 will have either Dune Beige or Black.
  • drums1954drums1954 Member Posts: 20
    Does anybody out their know when pricing for the 2010 Mazda3 Sedan will be available and when you will be able to order one.
    I heard it will be in Showrooms late March early April.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Is it too much to expect that a compact car with the same basic powertrain as a midsize get better fuel economy?

Especially with supposed aerodynamic improvements.....what gives? Isn't this supposed to be the so-called "economy class"? How many other manufacturers have better fuel mpg numbers for their midsize offerings than their compact offerings using the same engine and transmission? It is lighter so it must be a lot less aerodynamic or geared differently or something.

I'm just somewhat dissappointed that Mazda couldn't get better mpg numbers with their big 6 in the new "6" and now I see the same thing with the big 4 in the "3".
    Got confirmation today, again, about the 5-door as well as the 2010 Mazdaspeed3. Speculation about the Mazdaspeed3 was it would be a 2011, however, it will be a 2010.

Pricing will be made public in January. After the Detroit Auto Show, in January, you will be able to "build your own" Mazda3 sedan and 5-door on mazdaUSA.com.

Brochures for the 2010 Mazda3 will be available in January and inventory of the 2010 Mazda3 will begin shipping in January and be on dealer lots in early February.

I hope that answers some questions for you all!
    gearing, gearing and more gearing.

Is the Mazda3 really that far off in fuel economy?? Lets see.

Corolla XRS (2.4L 158hp / 162tq) MPG 22/30
    Corolla S (1.8L 132hp / 128tq) MPG 27/35

Honda Civic (1.8L 140hp / 128tq) MPG 25/36

Nissan Sentra (2.0L 140hp / 147tq) MPG 25/33

Mazda3 i (2.0L 148hp / 135tq) MPG 24/33
    Mazda3 s (2.5L 167hp / 168tq) MPG 22/29

With a big power advantage in both 2.0L and 2.5L engines, the FE is not too far off at all compared to the leading competition. Add to the Mazda the huge advantage in driveability, and one can look past the slim mpg disadvantage, especially in a market where fuel is around $2.00/gal.
    especially in a market where fuel is around $2.00/gal.

All things must pass as will this reduction in fuel costs. When world economies pick up.....up will go the price per gallon.

Anyway, I'm not really complaining about the relative fuel economy which is in the ball park. It's just that a lot of people think it was a little short sighted to have the new 6 get about the lowest 6 cyl fuel economy of all midsizers. The Mazda3 2.5L has nice power and great handling. Add really good fuel economy in that package and you would really have a winner. 32 mpg hwy would have been just right to really make this one sing a nice tune. What's wrong with leading the pack in all categories if you have the chance?

Now, for the big grin on the front of the new 3. It's a little much but I guess I could get used to it. Right now it kind of reminds me of the animated movie "Cars"
  • webdriverwebdriver Member Posts: 3
    A catfish...nice. I just watched the video of the unveiling at the LA Autoshow. The covering came off the front first. Silence. As the cover was yanked off the back of the car then came the reserved applause; like you'd hear when the ball dropped into the cup after the fifth putt. If your state has a white license plate, will it look a single tooth in the middle of a grin?
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    Real world fuel economy will be the issue. It seems that in the real world Corollas exceed the MPG ratings and Civics come closer to EPA ratings than 3s and Sentras although the MPG difference is not that big.

I live in Brooklyn, NY. I don't drive to work so I don't always drive in traffic but even when there is no traffic there are many stoplights.

It seems that the MPG of the 3 and the Sentra drop much more in city driving than the MPG of Corollas and Civics.

On the MazdaAxela forums drivers of 3s w/ automatics, especially the 3S report rarely exceeding 30 MPG on the hwy (it is rated at 29) whereas on the Edmunds forums Corolla owners frequently get 40 on the hwy (it is rated at 35).

I rented a 3I this summer and got the same MPG I get w/ a '96 Altima that is more powerful.

It may be that the torque we love cost fuel economy b/c the Civic and Corolla have less than even the 3I.
    I have also seen in the Mazda3/Axela threads that those with the 2.0L get 34-35 mpg hwy when it is rated at 30mpg, and CR said they got an avg of 30/gal in their tests.

For those with the 2.3L, I have seen plenty get over 30mpg hwy, and here on Edmunds, many have posted getting 32 hwy. I have the 2.3L in my Mazda6 and I get 31-32 highway going 75+ and an average of 25-27mpg overall.

I have seen far more people exceeding their EPA estimates on the Mazda3 then those making par or less.

I have no doubt that the Mazda3, especially the 2.5L, will exceed the EPA estimates. The 09 Mazda6 owners are reporting mileage as high as 34 on the highway in the same 2.5L.
  • draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    I can't believe someone didn't open their mouth at the meeting on fnalizing the front end design and say "you gotta be kidding me?", "your joking right?"

It reminds me of the Tribeca a few years back, Subura was smart enought to change the front end after one year because it was so ugly...Hopefullly Mazda will do the same thing.
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    If that darkened area (grille?) was painted to match the rest of the car, it would probably look much better. I kinda like it though.....probably looks better in the flesh.
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    Someone please tell me why I should pick the new Mazda3 over the Honda Civic.

I don't see a huge advantage . . am I wrong?
    Someone please tell me why I should pick the new Mazda3 over the Honda Civic.

I don't see a huge advantage

You obviously have never driven a Mazda3. The handling and power and pure drivability trump the Honda Civic. As for the current Mazda3, you can get more car for less money. Real world resale value are pretty darn close to one another and the Mazda3 has been extremely reliable.

What does the Civic offer that the Mazda3 does not? Longer track record of reliability and a couple more mpg's? That's not worth it to me.

Why would you choose a Honda Civic over a Mazda3?
    look at the running footage of the car here. It actually looks really good. The grille looks a lot smaller when the car is in motion. I think the Mazda3 will look hot in person.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2010-Mazda3-driving_200348.htm
    My impression is that Mazda 3 is about the same price if not higher than Honda Civic.
    Civic will have a much higher trade-in value and lower lease costs as well.

I have heard the new 3 looks very good in person, but not in the photos. Will give it a shot, especially the hatchback.
    Inside Line has posted a first drive review. The one new piece of information I saw is that the navigation will be priced near $500. That sounds tempting as long as the software and maps are good and the smaller screen isn't too much of a compromise.

It would sure beat the clashing look of the standard white text information screen next to the orange radio screen which makes it look like an afterthought.
    My impression is that Mazda 3 is about the same price if not higher than Honda Civic.
    Civic will have a much higher trade-in value and lower lease costs as well.

Your impression is not really right.

Lets compare apples to apples here. Take a 2009 Mazda3 i Touring Value Edition with an automatic transmission vs a Civic LX-S with an automatic transmission.

Mazda3: $18,465 with destination and regional adjustment.
    Honda Civic: $19,425 with destination

The Mazda3 offers more power, 17" alloy wheels, and fog lights.

Lease programs are also very similar and come to within a few dollars of each other.

The Honda Civic does not have a "much higher" trade in either. It is a little higher, but, you also pay more for the car. They depreciate almost equally.
    Edmunds say the Mazda will depreciate
    $2,546 $2,312 $2,035 $1,803 $1,619 $10,315

Total cost to own : $38,698
    and the Civic will depreciate

1,520 $2,277 $2,003 $1,775 $1,594 $9,169

Total cost to own: $35,541

Meaning, if you drive both cars for 5 years, you will save $3200 with the Civic.

Of course, this may lessen with the new model . . on the other hand, you won't see big discounts on a brand new model like the Mazda3
    IMO, the biggest difference is in the way they drive. The Civic is (and is designed to be) more of an appliance car. These little Mazda's are "driver's cars," meaning they're generally a lot more fun to drive. I personally believe that Mazda does one of the best manual transmissions around (compared to their direct competition, that is).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

I personally believe that Mazda does one of the best manual transmissions around (compared to their direct competition, that is).

Agreed, even when compared to 'superior' automobiles...I drove a G37 a couple weeks before I drove a Mazda6 MT and the Infiniti was clunky had a difficult time going into gears; it was not fun to drive.
    I have an issue with sites like Edmunds, that evaluate depreciation. Since Edmunds is a publishing company, I have found their "real world" numbers to be way off in several ways. Since their values and pricing are not generally used in the business, I tend to ignore them. Real world values are a direct reflection of market conditions, supply and demand. Edmunds has no way of knowing that 5 years from now.

These small cars, like the Civic and Mazda3, saw their value sky rocket in the summer due to high fuel costs. These cars at the auctions were going for values up published and unprecedented as well as new cars sales seeing record monthly numbers.

Now, the general public does not know that. That's no fault of their own.
    Real world values are a direct reflection of market conditions, supply and demand

But as a class they would tend to rise and fall pricewise in tandem so Edmunds may be wrong in the future values but right based on past numbers.

However, I totally agree that Edmunds fair value prices are way off in a lot of markets. It would be impossible for them to publish a number for many different metro areas and there are large differences as you and I have noted in the past(Chicago vs. NE). If I had used their value when I bought my 2007 Mazda6 I would have paid at least $1500 more for the car. I hope uninformed(unsuspecting?) visitors to Edmunds website don't take those values as anything more than somewhat of an average.

In the current thread talking about comparing 5 year costs for a 3 vs. a Civic, what number do they start with? Do they use real world purchase price numbers or MSRP to start off their analysis with? That would throw the whole equation off immensely......my 07 Mazda6 was purchased at about $4700 under MSRP. I couldn't have touched an Accord for much under $1500-$1700 under MSRP at the time. That would be quite a large difference over 5 years in less finance and less depreciation costs from original purchase price.
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    Where do you live that you get MPG like that?

My neighbor has an '06 3S with a MT and he dsaid he gets 27-30 hwy.

He loves everything about the car except that he said his A/C never cools the car when temps are in the 90s and he has dark tinted windows.

The porblem in my area is that the dealers don't let you take the car for more than a short ride so you can't actually see the real MPG.
    A few picks of the hatch have been released on autoblog: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/25/mazda3-hatch-unveiled-will-debut-next-week/

Note the high camera angle to minimize the grin. The inside bits of the front grill are slightly different from the sedan.
    Where do you live that you get MPG like that?

I live in Connecticut. We are getting "winter gas" now, so I will see my FE drop a little bit. I have an 05 Mazda6 2.3L mtx.

He loves everything about the car except that he said his A/C never cools the car when temps are in the 90s and he has dark tinted windows.

That was a common issue in the 04-06 Mazda3's. 07+ seem to be fine

The porblem in my area is that the dealers don't let you take the car for more than a short ride so you can't actually see the real MPG.

That stinks! One can never really tell how the car really drives without at least a 20 minute test drive, maybe more.

That stinks! One can never really tell how the car really drives without at least a 20 minute test drive, maybe more.

It all depends on the dealer...a local Mazda dealer asked if i would like to take a Mazda6 home for the weekend; other dealers & manufacturers look annoyed when you start browsing their inventory.

I had an 05 3 (for a brief period) and the AC was fine...though not as powerful as other autos I've driven; but it did the job.
  • socal2006socal2006 Member Posts: 44
    Yea, the car actually looks nice from a high camera angle to minimize the smile. At first, I was really shocked by this design direction, but I'm getting used to the look. Still, Mazda is going to lose a lot of sales with the smile. I give the new smile two years tops before its heavily revised.

Car and Driver and Motor Trend have first drives up on their websites as well. You have to dig around the marketing speak to find actual impressions of the drive. Seems like the new car is slightly better than the outgoing one - but nothing dramatic. Positive first impressions though.
    Mazda has more pics and a video of the Mazda3 hatch. The video is of the European model with seems to be just slightly different. It looks like the pics are the US version. I'm going by the side turn signal markers being on the side mirrors for the US, but separate markers for Europe.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayUpcomingMazda3_5Door.action

Overall I like the look of the hatch much better than the sedan, and I think I'm also getting used to the new face. Still can't wait to see it in person.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    I hear that the new Nav system in the 2010 Mazda3 will cost $500. Not a bad price. Much cheaper than shelling out 2 grand on a in dash GPS. They wanted to make it more in line with portable systems cost wise.