Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I have not noticed any downshift so maybe it's geared different for a 4 cyl or for AWD. I have a pretty big 3.6L in my Malibu so there is likely less need for downshifting.
    Equinox is made in Ingersoll ON about 100 miles from Detroit. I would imagine a good supply of cars should be coming soon. I think some others are right though, GM is not up to full capacity yet and it will take a little time to get decent inventories.
  • gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    My Son picked his up in Raleigh NC today. There was a trainload from Canada to Virginia yesterday. He called me from the Bluetooth in the Vehicle. Black LT1 With Power seat, Interface Package and backup Camera, Interior is Black and Tan. Seats have red stitching. The whole neighborhood is over to see it.
    Sounds like a nice looking rig. Bluetooth is a must these days with all the cell phone in car restrictions.

I saw two yesterday on the highway ride to the cottage. They are out there now, seem to be selling pretty good.
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Member Posts: 166
    Most dealer can do a dealer search, putting in the features you want. Usually their radius is up to 300 miles. The problem right now is that they are so popular, the computer inventories are not up to date that well. But if they find one they just have to call the other dealer to see if it has been sold. It is the lower priced models that are selling as soon as they hit the lots - the 2LT and LTZ trims are lasting a little longer (I just bought a 1LT).

Anyway, you might have to be flexible with colors, but all of them are nice (though I don't care for the white or gray as much as the others). You might also have to be flexible with options - i.e.: you might not get EXACTLY what you want, you might, for example, have to get one with an extra option or two and just pay for it as part of getting a vehicle that is in such low supply.

Also, most dealers will get the vehicle brought to their dealership, but you might have to pay a couple hundred dollars to get it transported as part of a dealer trade (if the other dealer is willing to trade). But if they won't trade then you can always send them via wire a deposit and that'll save it for you for a couple days until you go look at it if the dealer that has it is a ways away.
    gene_v, assuming your son got the 4 cylinder, has he had any problems with the downshifting and jitteriness I describe in the "2010 Equinox Problems" thread? Some others have noticed this it seems, but I'm trying to find out how prevalent it is.
  • dave48103dave48103 Member Posts: 5
    wallyuml, could this be the issue . . . I just noticed this in the Equinox brochure:
    "Auto-grade braking: to automatically shift into a lower gear while braking on a downgrade to help preserve brake life"
    Also saw that, dave, on a info/spec sheet on GM's web site talking about the tranny in this vehicle. But it does the shifting thing constantly, and that wouldn't explain the jitteriness at times. But it has crossed my mind it might be a problem with this system, and I plan to bring it up to the dealer when I go in (whenever they get the part to fix the microphone that was bad from the beginning). Some of the Malibus have the same tranny and engine combo, but I can't find any problems like this reported on it on any forums or reviews.

Still trying to figure out the prevelance of this issue, please respond with your experiences (i.e.: have or have not had the tranny problems described in this thread). Thanks.
    I think I have noticed this a little on my Malibu but I don't find it annoying or obtrusive. I really like the smoothness of the 6-speed.
    What specifically have you noticed on your Malibu, vanman? The downshifting problem or the jitteriness?

What engine and tranny do you have in your Malibu? I know some versions have the same engine/tranny combo as the 4 cylinder Equinoxes.

Everyone please keep posting your experiences in driving the new Equinox regarding the downshifting problems and jitteriness, especially the 4 cylinder. The input is appreciated.
    He hasn't noticed it but he doesn't drive it much since its his wifes car.
    He only drives it some evenings and on weekends. He will look for it though. Will get back to you.
    I notice the downshifting. You hardly notice it but when you let the car slow down on it's on and watch the tachometer you can see the shifts down.

As I said, it's not really jittery, but it may be different for the 4 cyl or even the 3.0. I have a 3.6L / 6-speed combo.
  • timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    This may not be the place to post such things, but, GM's badge engineering will offer us two more "design studies" based on the groovy new 2010 Equinox. The GMC Terrain this fall, and a Buick version (just read this last night, supposed to be a hybrid version). But Buick will probably offer a non-hybrid version too.

I post this for those of you who might have design quirks with the Equinox. Like, for instance, if you don't like the blue lighting on the interior of the Equinox, the GMC has red lighting. And on the outside the GMC looks to be more "boxy" than the Equinox.
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    Read not too long ago that Buick is getting the Saturn Vue hybrid. Will Buick be getting the hybrid technology or the complete car? Will buick aloso offer it in the non-hybrid form like the equinox?
  • dragonsbackdragonsback Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased an LS 4 cyl. over the weekend, absolulty love it!
    Have noticed NO jitters or un-smooth shifting in transmission on either ECO mode or normal.
    There is a little dif in ECO mode, the engine does seem to shift more and is a little less powerful but VERY little difference between modes.

Very impressed by this vehicle, I would never have considered Chevy in the past, but after seeing this.....it was instant.
    Wanted an LT1 but pretty much impossible to come by with the 4cyl here in SOCAL, the LS looks great inside and out. Awesome standard features, and price!
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Just received a GM email that says that in 2011 Buick is coming out with a 5 passenger plug in hybrid Crossover which they describe with the same engines as the Equinox so I'm wondering if it will be a rebadged Equinox? Sounds very interesting.

Here it is: New Buick Crossover Will Feature Plug-In Hybrid System
    GM’s plug-in hybrid technology will be introduced in a new Buick crossover vehicle in 2011.

The yet-to-be-named Buick crossover will launch in late 2010 offering a family of fuel-efficient direct-injected gasoline engines, followed in 2011 by the plug-in hybrid model.

“Buick has always been at the forefront of new technology, so it is only fitting that the brand should debut our new plug-in hybrid technology in a beautiful new crossover,” said Tom Stephens, GM vice chairman of product development. “This will firmly put Buick, and GM, front and center in the advanced technology game.”

The new five-passenger crossover will build on the success of the Buick Enclave, offering the brand’s finely crafted execution and premium driving experience in a fuel-efficient package.

The Buick crossover will be powered by an Ecotec 2.4L direct-injected four-cylinder engine with an optional 3.0L direct-injected V-6, and is expected to deliver 30 miles per gallon or more on the highway.
    dragonsback, did you get an AWD or FWD? In SOCAL I'm assuming FWD but please let me know. Thanks...
  • sleclslecl Member Posts: 2
    We just bought 2010 Equinox 1LT with the power seat and bluetooth package. (I can't recall the package name and all the paperwork is in our car at the dealership). We drove it on a trip and loved the vehicle. When we returned, the dealership called and said our hitch was in. So we took it in to the dealership to have the trailer hitch put on as we had negotiated this into our contract. When we went to pick it up on Thursday, we could not get it out of park. One of the service guys came over and finally got it out of park but suggested that we leave it so they could look at it. Supposedly when the put the hitch on (it will be used for our bikes - no hauling), something happened that affected the gears??? They claim it is a computer issue that they aren't able to fix at this time. So they suggested that we take it home and just move the gear shift around until we can get it out of park. We said no and kept the car they have us using in the mean time. Has anyone heard of this "gitch" before??
    That is weird about the getting stuck in gear because of putting a hitch on. That seemingly would not have anything to do with the tranny, just the lights and attaching the hitch to the frame.

In your driving have you experienced any braking sensation when it downshifts from 4-3 and 3-2 (it does this at other gears, but is most noticable for these shifts)? Along with this is an RPM increase of 600-700. It is just like it is shifting way too soon. There is also a lot of jitteriness when decelerating while coasting from 17-12 mph.

What engine do you have? AWD or FWD?

Thanks.
  • sleclslecl Member Posts: 2
    To be honest, we don't think the hitch involved the lights since it is for a bike rack not for hauling. We have the FWD 4 cyclinder. We have experienced no braking sensation and have not noted anything different. We have not driven it since we tried to pick it up, so we don't know what it does now. We refused to take it off the lot until they fix it. We told them there were no problems when we brought it in so we except the same when we leave. We're really frustrated with the dealership.
    GM is always rated well on composite dealership surveys, but I'm with you - I haven't seen it, at least not as far as the service depts. go. That is really strange that putting on a hitch would cause a gear problem. If they didn't even do lights it should have just involved welding/bolting it to the frame. Hmmm...

Since you are the first person I've encountered that has a FWD 4 cyl. that has not experienced the braking feeling when downshifting (or where I know for certain it was FWD 4 cyl), would you mind posting your VIN? Maybe GM can compare yours and mine and figure something out. If you don't feel comfortable putting it on here, you can email me: wallyuwl@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Anyone else that wants to send me their VIN, including whether or not you are experiencing the tranny problems, feel free to do so. Include 4 cyl or 6, and AWD or FWD.

I will forward any info. I get onto the person I'm communicating with at GM's Executive Office. The more they get, the more they might be able to narrow the problem down to a range of dates, trims, etc.
  • marc300yardmarc300yard Member Posts: 4
    I'm waiting for the delivery of my 2010 LTZ, 6 Cyl., FWD with Moonroof, and the vehicle was "bayed" at the plant, and then again 2 days ago at the Doremus NJ railyard. Baying at the plant is not that unusual for quality control issues and such, but my dealer said that baying at the railyard is not something he sees happening very much.

Does anyone know of any quality control holds that GM is placing on the new Nox's?
  • dvm67dvm67 Member Posts: 3
    marc300yard...I was wondering how long ago you ordered your Equinox? I ordered one too, and am trying to figure out how fast the plant is kicking them out. Thanks for your help and hopefully you get it soon.
  • likofloathelikofloathe Member Posts: 7
    I ordered one as well and am curious as to the time. Did you check on the status or did the dealer. Sometimes things are held to show an artificial demand.
    Congrats on the new LS. Great value base model IMO, I think I would go for the same.
  • marc300yardmarc300yard Member Posts: 4
    To likofloathe and dvm67 and all others - I placed the order on June 5. I did hear from the dealer this evening, well after my earlier post. My salesman called the Dealer Business Center and found out it was not bayed for any quality control issue. While he didn't offer a reason why it was held at the railyard for 2 days, he did say they have "Hot Tagged" it, and I should expect it in a day or two.

Makes me wonder how long I would have had to wait had I not called him to check on it. I have only gotten updated information when I have made a pest of myself to the salesman and sales manager. I recommend that you call your dealership, and ask about updates to your GM Status Codes, and insist they look up your vehicle in their system. They have access to more info than you think they do.
  • dvm67dvm67 Member Posts: 3
    marc300yard that is great information. Thanks for getting back to us. I will certainly follow your advice!
    He says (My Son) that he notices that it slows when he brakes. But it is smooth and not jittery. On Star gave them an good diagnostic this week.
  • magnetman12003magnetman12003 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I just bought a brand new 2010 Equinox that did not have a tow hitch on it.

The engine is a 2.4 with a 6 speed automatic transmission.

The class III third party tow hitch I placed on the Equinox was a "KURT" hitch entirely made in the USA. Hide a Hitch and Draw Tite hitches are made in China. Comparing all three the Kurt comes out way in the top for quality and superb finish. Its even less expensive! The Kurt hitch requires absolutely no drilling whatsoever on the 2010 car frame to install. It bolts right on for a perfect fit. Looks great! Remember that your car warranty is void if you modify or alter any car parts.

Having said all of the above can anyone tell me how the transmittion and 2.4 engine will hold up pulling a load just less than 1.000 pounds for less than two miles? I will be pulling a 15 foot fiberglass boat and trailer to a nearby lake.
    I have been paying special attention this week and the 6-speed in my Malibu is quite smooth with the downshifts. I have noticed them also if I just coast slowly to a stop with no brake.
    magnetman, the 2.4 is rated to tow up to 1500lbs, but that is gross weight. I'd be surprised if a 15ft fiberglass boat plus trailer weight less than 1500 lbs, even though the force required to pull it while on the trailer might be 300lbs or less because of the tires. That said, if it is only for a couple miles you might be OK, but just do the manual gear shifting and keep it a gear lower and go slow.

Do you have any tranny problems with it downshifting, creating a braking feeling when downshifting from 4-3 (33 mph or so in regular mode, about 30mph in ECO) and 3-2 (23 mph in regular mode, 20mph in ECO) along with a rise in RPMs?

Either way, could you please post or send me your VIN (wallyuwl@yahoo.com). Trying to find out the breadth of the problem and pass along any info. I can go GM so they know and get working on a fix. It seems to be pretty prevalent but as of now GM isn't even admitting there is a problem.
  • fstumpfstump Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone installed the wiring for a trailer hitch on the 2010 NOX? If so I could really use some guidance.
    Thanks, Frank
  • wulfhoundwulfhound Member Posts: 1
    I love the looks of the 2010 model. Haven't had the opportunity to get to a dealer yet. Just wondering what kind of room there is at the drivers position. I have a hard time with head room on a lot of vehicles plus im over 300lbs. Leg room isn't normally a problem for me. Just hate feeling cramped into a tuna can with my hair mashed into the roof.
  • back2frontback2front Member Posts: 42
    I'm 6'3" and my son is 6'6" and we both have plenty of room so I don't think you would have a problem.
  • bravo1416bravo1416 Member Posts: 2
    We've had our 2010 Equinox with the 4 cyl now for a couple of weeks and put about 500 miles on it so far. I've only been able to get about 18 mpg with 85% city and 15% highway driving. Does this improve with more miles? Driving a V6 minivan for the previous 5.5 years with similar city / highway got us 20mpg. So I am a little disappointed right now in the mileage. It needs to improve by 6 mpg just to get to the EPA numbers... seems like a large jump from where we are now.
    Could be your driving too. My wife has a STS that she gets about 15.6 mpg city only but when I drive it for a week or so I get anywhere from 17. to 18.3 depending on how I drive. One other thing, are you going by the computer mpg readout or the old way of dividing miles driven by gal. used when you fill up?
  • ragtop262ragtop262 Member Posts: 58
    If you put the seat all the way back there's a ridiculous amount of legroom.

As for head room, I'm 6' 3", with most of my height from the waist up. So, head room is always a big issue for me. With the adjustable seat height, I was able to move the seat down a bit to give me plenty of head room. Although mine doesn't have a sunroof, I did sit in one with a 'roof and would still have had adequate head room. So unless you're super-tall you should be OK.

The real problem you might have is the seat width. The seats are fairly narrow and are pretty heavily bolstered. I'm about 220 lbs, and the seat bolsters are a little tight for me. Strangely, the seats feal real uncomfortable on short jaunts, but once I'm in the car for an hour or so, they seem to form to my backside and then they're OK.
  • ragtop262ragtop262 Member Posts: 58
    I've got about 4000 miles on mine, and the mileage hasn't changed too much since new. I watch mileage pretty close, and have these observations on the 4 cyl Equinox:
    1. City mileage isn't that great, unless you put it in "eco mode" and drive with a very light foot. That 4 cyl really likes to rev when you accelerate, and that sucks gas. Driving style seems to affect this vehicle more than the 6 cyl vehicles I've had before. If your "city" driving is a lot of stop-and-go, 18 mpg is probably all you'll get.
    2. On the highway, definitely leave the eco button on, or it constantly downshifts when you hit little hills, often twice - and you end up running up those little hills at 4500+ RPM, again, wasting gas.
    3. If you go 70 mph or more or if you're going into any kind of head wind, the mileage really drops.
    4. The one place where this car gets really good mileage is on a nice country road, driving at 50-60 mph. 30+ mpg is possible there, even with my AWD.
    5. Don't trust the mpg figure from the computer. My actual mileage is about 1 mpg less than what the computer says.
    6. If you were getting over 20 mpg in a 6 cyl van doing mostly city driving, you were really doing good. We've had 3 Town & Country's and a Mercury Villager, and have typically gotten 18 mpg city and 22 highway. Again, don't trust the computers - do the math.
  • foxwood_21foxwood_21 Member Posts: 31
    Does anyone know if the 4 cyl can rung E85 fuel?
  • bravo1416bravo1416 Member Posts: 2
    I am a little worried that the wife is really pushing the accelerator to try to get that same get-up-and-go she had before. We've only filled it up once at about 1/4 tank and had gone 240 miles... so I'll keep monitoring both actual and computer mileage to see if it improves.
    It's impossible to calulate milage when more than one person is driving a car. I always tell my wife I need to drive her car for a few days to make sure there isn't anything wrong with it and check everything out. That has always worked for me.
    I don't think it's E85 compatible.. yet.

The 2.4L in the Malibu is for 2010 but they likely want to test the E85 thoroughly before offering it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's impossible to calulate milage when more than one person is driving a car

I just consider that the "combined" mpg. :)
  • rhtinkerrhtinker Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 4 cy for 2 months now and have over 2000 Miles on it. My wife drives it most of the time. I would say our driving is about 80% city and 20% highway. We are averaging a little better than 26 Mi to the gallon.
  • wifes07aveowifes07aveo Member Posts: 31
    This past weeked I saw a 2010 sitting on the dealership and I must say it looks significantly smaller than my wifes' 2008. (by the way the 2010 looks REALLY good)
  • fstumpfstump Member Posts: 10
    I've had my 2010 Nox LS, 4 cyl, FWD for a little over a week & so far I'm completely satisfied withthe vehicle. My first tank of gas, that was provided by the dealer, so I'm not sure it was completely topped off, got me 27.8 MPG. That was about 70% city and 30% highway, with 16 miles of towing a light trailer to the land fill & back home. Today I got it on the highway and according to the instrument readout I got 36.3 miles for a 115 mile trip, on the way back I hit more traffic and the whole trip was 34.8 MPG. I'm satisfied with those figures for a vehicle this size.
    Length of 010 is 1" shorter length, 1.1" wider, same wheelbase, height is 3" shorter. So for all practical purposes they are about the same. Must be optical illusion.
  • flatsflats Member Posts: 44
    I scanned the Chevy website, and was unable to locate specific info on the AWD. So how does the AWD in the 2010 Equinox work?

I understand the big picture that it's basically a FWD vehicle, and the AWD engages when the front wheels detect slippage. Fine. But is it a 50/50 distribution between front and rear? What about side to side? When does it disengage? Can it be locked in AWD. Does the AWD only work up to certain speeds? How does it compare to the other 'cute utes'?

My main concern is with snow. We tend to get blasted several times a year with big storms. My knowledge of Chevy's could fit on a postage stamp, but the mpg of the Equinox put it on my short list.
  • bfamilybfamily Member Posts: 15
    The Equinox AWD system works pretty well like you thought. It's a FWD car that has a PTU mounted to the transmission that transfers power to the rear wheels. This is done automatically through a clutch located between the prop shaft and the rear differential. Split is about 60/40 and disengages around 40 mph. It can't be locked in AWD mode.
    I've driven a Suzuki XL7 that uses the same AWD system (also in the Saturn Vue, Pontiac Torrent, GMC Terrain), and it worked well in the Michigan snow.
  • runoxrunox Member Posts: 156
    Just put the first 1000 miles on mine, a hilly 50/50 city highway and it's 24.5 mpg.

I noticed a significant loss of mpg if you are heavy on the pedal from a dead stop.

The ride is so darn comfortable, I find myself taking it easy where ever I'm headed and just enjoying the ride. :shades: