Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox

Comments

• opinion13opinion13 Member Posts: 3
    My LT2 w/leather was ordered 9/21/09 today 1/14/2010 still not in production scheduled for next week... It better be worth it... dealer has been great dealing with my and his frustration trying to get a sold order to build and fit GM allotment profiles... Am told that they are hoping for me to take delivery week of 2/8... 19-20 weeks from date of order,,, I have lost $1500. in rebates since it has taken so long...
  • march252006march252006 Member Posts: 5
    Man, I figured it was going to take awhile for the build, but 3-5 months sure is long. And all the dealers say, 6-8 wks when you order it, and they know it's going to take at least 10-12+, so misleading...

Thanks for all the info on your orders.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Well to be fair, weather delays can happen.

I read in the paper they are thinking of adding the Springhill TN plant to help with production.
  • jimn12jimn12 Member Posts: 3
    I agree with dm3. Most likely the 2010 models.
  • bblvrbblvr Member Posts: 1
    I ordered an Equinox on 11/14/09. Still not in and no word on when it will be in.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Anyone ordering in the month before Xmas has to realize that the plant is closed for almost 2 weeks due to Xmas/NYears per their contract.
  • coasterguycoasterguy Member Posts: 25
    Hello everyone. I am about to order a new Equinox and was wondering. I sat in one today and thought the bucket seats were a little snug on my thighs. Normal size man here 6ft1. 36" waist. :) I was curious because once I owned a Mini Cooper with similar seats and they bothered me after a while. I am thinking these new ones are a bit softer though. Also, Leather or Not. I do not like how leather wrinkles and wears but I wonder if the non-leather option is durable, comfortable and washable? Thanks in advance.
  • khh2khh2 Member Posts: 4
    I am replying because I am also 6'1" and about the same size waist. We've had our 2010 Nox since Aug. It fits my body well. We have the LTZ with leather seats and the memory power seats allow me to adjust for optimal comfort. Not too snug on the thighs. These leather seats are different from others that I've seen. Obviously, mine is too new to determine if wrinkling will occur, but they are not like the leather seats on my Ford, they look "perforated" and better ventilation than your typical leather seats. I have plenty of head room, and have driven all day in great comfort.
  • bluedadbluedad Member Posts: 9
    I've had mine for two months now and I'm about your size and put on a lot of miles. The cloth seats are very comfortable and seem quite durable. My wife has had several spine operations and she says the same. We tested one with leather seats and she did not like the comfort/support as much as the cloth. They really are two different seats so I would try sitting in both.
  • phoebesmomphoebesmom Member Posts: 2
    If you decide to order an Equinox, chose your dealership carefully. I ordered an LT2 4 cyl in early October. Waited 12 weeks and went in to pay for it on 12/28 to get 2009 Federal sales tax credit and the dealer, Courtesy Chevrolet in Phoenix, reneged. They did not honor our contract, said prices increased; they devalued my RAV4 trade in by $3300; and I have yet to receive my $500 deposit. GM is helping me recover that. I have since purchased an Equinox from Garrett Motors in Coolidge (AZ) and my experience was totally satisfying with them. New Equinox is 6 cyl rather than 4 cyl and so far (200 miles) I love it!
    Make up a big sign and stand out on the public right of way outside the stealership and picket them saying this dealer cheated me and now won't give me my money back. I bet you won't stand there long as someone will be out with a check in hand. I did that many years ago at a Chevy Dealer who shorted out my radio while fixing dash. He expected me to go without a radio while they sent mine all the way accross the country for repairs.
  • pete2470pete2470 Member Posts: 6
    ran over a spark plug and ruined a tire on my 2010 EQ 2 LT. they are 18 in wheels and had a hard time finding a replacment of the same tire. Dealer can't get at all
    finally found a tire shop that found one 200 miles away, Had it overnighted and it is back on the car. Not sure why they are selling cars that you can not get tires for. I understand my problem was a road hazard but expected a little more help from dealer. Anyway if anyone has to replace a tire good luck could take up to 2 weeks and expect around 300.00... car only had 2000 miles
    love the car hate unexpected spark plugs LOL">
  • buxbaflbuxbafl Member Posts: 2
    Interesting that your dealer devalued your Rav4. By the time I got my Nox the dealer devalued my GMC Envoy trade in by $1,500. They were willing to give me back my deposit if I wanted to walk away, but when you wait for two or three months for your new car you don't usually walk away. They must teach these guys how to play this game in sales school. It's a pretty neat way for them to increase their profits!
    It was just as much your fault for not putting in the contract that you could get your deposit back if not satified. I have bought many new cars and have never found a dealer who wouldn't put this in there if asked and most I have worked with do this automatically.
  • jbogardjbogard Member Posts: 3
    I think it is unfortunate that dealers become so greedy when they get a HOT product. We have a dealer in Evansville, Indiana that is charging a thousand dollars over sticker for the Nox. I would like to compliment Patriot Autoplaza In Princeton, Indiana. They gave me a $2000 trade in amount, above Kelly Blue Book on my 09 Malibu ordered my Nox and even let me add whatever options I wanted at dealer invoice. It took exactly three months to the day to receive my Nox and by that time I had added another four thousand miles on the Malibu, but they cheerfully delivered my Nox and accepted my trade.
  • kirkkempenkirkkempen Member Posts: 14
    I was also concerned that my dealer would devalue my trade, since we've been waiting since the first week of October. Our 10 Nox came in last week, and there were no surprises at all when we picked it up. We had put another 5K miles on our trade, but it didn't change our agreed trade-in value at all. We were also surprised to find that the dealer gave us 1K loyalty cash. (I didn't think it applied to the 10 Nox!)
    How do you work the remote start on the 2010 equinox? Is anybody having problems with it not working? What does it mean when you have to have it on the "ON" position before it will start? Do you have to turn the heat/AC on when you turn the car off so when you remote start it the next day it will be on?

Sorry just wondering about these things. Any comments would be welcomed.

Thanks..
    Haven't got a Enox yet but on my other GM cars I have had you go into the display and turn on the auto start before it will work from the fob. Then you push the lock button and within about 3 sec. you push the start button. If you have auto cilmate control just leave in auto mode, if not set the heat to the way you want it to come on when you start and it will also turn on the rear defog and may depending on what you have could also turn on the heated seats if it is cold enough.
  • sagi1971sagi1971 Member Posts: 5
    I recently did a road trip in my 2010 Equinox, from Chicago to Tampa back via the Great Smoky Mountains.. Putting a total of 3,124 miles on it and 53 hours behind the wheel in a little more than a week. Averaged 24.5 mpg (4Cyl, AWD)

It drove like a DREAM! Sitting for 13 hours from Chicago to Macon GA, I did not have a single back problem. The seats were supportive, but also comfortable. The traction and control during a rain storm at 3am performed beautifully.

The Equinox was a bit sluggish going through the Smoky Mountains. At steep inclines, it hesitated quite a bit and seemed to get stuck in gear a few times. If I lived in an area where I hide to do a lot of incline driving, I would have to upgrade to the 6cylinder.

Overall, it performed WAY past expectations. Normally I have to stop and stretch a few times, but I did not have to on this trip. This is my first Chevrolet and I am very impressed. I'm even happier with Chevrolet, now that they finally have the cargo covers back in stock!!!
    Very positive, thanks for the post.

We do a lot of long trips so your post is encouraging.
  • bownox84bownox84 Member Posts: 3
    My XM free trial ended almost 4 weeks ago. They just called offering me 5 months at $3.99/month. Sounds good to me rather than the $12.99/month normal rate.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    Free trial....3.99 per month...could you please explain?
  • monkeysmummonkeysmum Member Posts: 2
    You get (at least we did) 3 free months when you buy the car, then they want you to subscribe ... and pay :) Seems like a good deal to me Bownox.
  • phoebesmomphoebesmom Member Posts: 2
    Those are the tab numbers of the various menu options.
  • rocketentrocketent Member Posts: 60
    Yea, I let my XM go away and got the same call, then took them up on the $3.99/5 mths too. That's all it's worth to me, so I won't continue if I can't keep that deal. I get too many dead spots in my area.
    Have you recieved your equinox yet?
  • steph18919steph18919 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2010 Equinox September of 09. And I was lucky enough to get a :lemon: (I drove it all over the place- hence why I buy new vehicles - to drive them). Today it has about 10,700 miles. It was in the shop so far a total of 6 times since I have owned it. The most recent was the climate control recall - my heat/radio just stopped working... the other 5 times for the same problem - apparently in my vehicle something keeps shaving particles of the engine - and then those particles are getting clogged in the camshaft (I believe) causing my vehicle to stall. I would restart and I could drive it - but this happend once in October 09, twice in November 09, twice in January 10. Each time the dealership was pretty much just flushing out the particles and sending me on my way. I decided to look into and research the lemon law. I was instructed by my dealer to contact the BBB (and I just wanted to share this with everyone because this is what helped me obtain results that I wanted). I wanted a new car replacement - After filling out all my paperwork GM offered me a new engine & two car payments or I could still pursue the law. I wanted a new vehicle because I didn't want to ever have trouble selling or trading in the vehicle in the future - who would want to purchase a vehicle that needed a new engine at 10,000 miles. They contacted me later stating they would replace the car- I am currently waiting for my replacement - they replaced the engine and I am driving my old one until the new one arrives - they have 60 days to replace the car. Right now it is in the shop for the recall because as stated before the climate control stopped working. :sick: I found this site very helpful and a stress reliever that I was unable to see any similar circumstances with this car. I love it - but really haven't been able to enjoy it yet. :confuse:
    Surprising to hear. The 2.4L has proven to be a very reliable engine in other vehicles.

Good to hear GM on it though. Big inconvenience I am sure.
  • garypriceomahagarypriceomaha Member Posts: 11
    Took my 2010 Equinox in for an oil change and I've read up about the Heating and Windshield Defrost recall but they also did a service update on the navigation system AND evaporative emission diagnostics. Does anyone know anything about the last 2 service bulletins? I couldn't really find much when I googled.

Thanks.
  • steph18919steph18919 Member Posts: 2
    http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/equinox/2010/2010-gmc-terrain-chevrolet-equi- - nox-recalled-for-climate-control-problem.html

I copy and pasted this link from a few pages previous. This is what helped me because I couldn't find much info on the recall either.
    Thanks a lot for responding. I already knew about this one. When I took it in they updated the navigation software for something. Not sure what it was. They also had a recall for a module or something. I can't find any info on that either. Just wondering what these things are? tks.
    Why didn't you just ask for them to explain just what was done and why. If they can't tell them to call Co. get the details and you expect an explanation in the next 24 to 48 hours.
  • obnoxishobnoxish Member Posts: 4
    If you add trailering to your 4 cylinder be sure to check the cruise control. It seems the BCM needs to relearn a program as well. Don't ask how I know this....
  • texana99texana99 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2010 LTZ with about 7500 miles on it, and find it satisfying in almost every respect. However, since day one I have had an annoying rattle from the driver's side seat belt fastener, apparently right around the place where the buckle fastens to the holder. Of course, it won't replicate itself at the dealer. I can turn up the radio volume to cover the noise, but that isn't a long term solution. Has anyone had that problem and if so can you suggest a fix?
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I am aware that the 2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ has projector headlights and the 2LT has not.

How much better, if any, are the projectors over the non-projectors?

Thanks all.
  • brueggiebrueggie Member Posts: 46
    I am actually very impressed with the projector lamps on the LTZ. I was going to put in HID lamps but will probably only do the fog lamps. The projectors provide great forward and side visibility. If you are on the fence between the 2LT and LTZ, I would go for the LTZ as there are a lot more features in the base LTZ that only cost a few hundred more than a loaded LT2...plus no memory seats.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    edited April 2010
    Does anyone who has the Equinox with the Nav/infotainment system know how many GB of the 40 GB hard drive are dedicated to music file storage and how many to Nav data such as maps, points of interest, etc.?

Additionally, can CD-Rs on which songs have been recorded in WAV file format be downloaded to the system's hard drive?

Thanks.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. The storage is split by 30GB's for the Nav system, and 10 GB's for music storage. Under normal circumstances you should be able to record to your hard drive from your CD. As long as the CD player can read the CD it shouldn't be a problem. You can also call the Navigation support hot line at 1-877-NAV-DISC(3472) OR 1-877-NAV-DISK(3475) Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • ronwelronwel Member Posts: 57
    Hello,

I was just wondering if any 2010 Equinox owners have been having trouble with the height of the roof antenna. I have been on several websites, and it seems that there are a lot of owners having problems with the antenna hitting their garage doors, etc..

Unfortuantly, I'm having issues with my antenna. It hits my garage door frame, and I'm having trouble with some underground garages. Even though the car is listed at 5' 9", I'm hitting things at 6' 2". It's ok if I go forwards, but I would rip the antenna off if I went backwards.

Has anyone tried to modify the antenna?

I picked a replacement antenna and tried to bend it down, to make it shorter. I used a heat gun to make sure that it would bend.

DO NOT TRY THIS...it was a waste of time and money. (Though I did learn a bit.)

The core of the thin part of the antenna is made of a white fibre-glass type material. This white material extends down part way through the fatter, thicker part of the antenna. If you try and bend the antenna, even with heating it, the fibre-glass material just snaps. I thought that I successfully bent the fatter part of the antenna, but when I cut it open (once I has snapped the thin part) I saw that I had snapped the fibre-glass rod there as well.

My only thought would be to buy another antenna, cut it half way, then silicone the top. Hopefully I wwould not loose any receptions. I'm left wondering why GM would not take the height of the antenna into consideration. Perhaps GM could sell a short antenna. I've checked and so far no one sells a short antenna for the Equinox. I even looked into getting a "shark fin" antenna, but I've been told that the thread on the base of the antenna is not common.

Same story with getting winter rims. I tried to get steel rims for the 2010 Equinox, and was told that the 2010Equinox uses an uncommon bolt pattern. I went to my dealership, special ordered some steel rims, only to have it up on the rack and the rims not fit properly. Luckily we had a mild winter here in Ontario, so I was able to use my all-seasons for now. As it is, after contacting 3 dealerships, no one can find rims for this car.

Anyone have luck with rims?
    Here's a question I couldn't find out from the dealer. When I bought the Equinox the dealer told me I should be able to watch 2 different movies on my 2 screens attached to the headrests. I tried to put a movie on the hard drive but it appears to only take music files. I tried putting a movie on the usb stick but it won't read it from there either. Has anyone figured this out?
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. The vehicle does come with one DVD player. However, if you want to watch dual DVD's you have to attach another DVD, camcorder, or gaming system to watch a separate movie. The vehicle comes ready with impute jacks to do this. When you hook up the system the impute jack will over ride the RSE feed. So that you can watch something else on the other DVD headrest. If you have any further questions please let me know. Thank you,
    Cool. Thanks for answering!
    http://www.visualgarage.com/

I have heard that the SharkFin antenna works just as good as the stock antenna. It is obviously shorter. You will have to email them to request information/price for the Equinox but I believe they are still around the $70 price which includes matching paint. I will be getting one for the Equinox and one for our Fusion in the near future. Good Luck.
    I emailed them this afternoon and they replied with the following link - http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_VG_SFA_MKII.html - which will fit the Equinox. Price is $69 plus $12 shipping and as I stated it is color matched based upon your paint code supplied.
  • mitecarsmitecars Member Posts: 1
    I have experienced the same problem with the engine sputtering at low rpm's, then stalling and eventually quitting. The occurs for some time before the "check engine" light comes on and our dealer's service department says that they can't address this problem until the "check engine" comes on to pinpoint the problem. The first experience was with about 1,200 miles on the vehicle. Once the "check engine" light finally came on, I called On-Star to diagnose the problem. They said it was a problem involving the ECM and made a service appointment for me. I took the vehicle in for service and was told that Chevrolet had issued a bulletin indicating that the problem resulted from foreign material (I was told it was foundry sand which had not been sufficiently cleaned from one of the aluminum castings) which had apparently had some kind of effect on a cam-driven actuator which, in turn, drives a sensor for the ECM ( at least, that's what I recall the service technician telling me...frankly, my eyes started to glaze over as he explained the problem). At any rate, the dealership apparently cleaned the foreign matter from the mechanism, replaced a filter, and assured me the problem was taken care of.

Now, with approximately 12,000 miles on the vehicle, the problem has reappeared. The engine sputters at low RPM's, stalls, and eventually stops. And, to date, the "check engine" light has not yet come on, so our dealer doesn't seem to know what the problem is.

My first experience resulted in the "check engine" light finally coming on in the middle of a long trip and I had to take a half-day out of that trip to get it fixed. I'm not too thrilled with the idea of leaving home with this vehicle on another long trip and having the problem arise "in the middle of nowhere".

Is this a recurring problem, for which there is no solution?...other than replacing the engine and/or vehicle?

If not, is there something I can do to help our dealer service department fix this problem once and for all?

If this is a recurring problem for which there is no apparent long-term solution, then I need to initiate the replacement of either the engine or vehicle because I simply
    don't trust that I can drive this vehicle in remote areas some distance from a dealership.
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me at socialmedia@gm.com with more information? Thank you,
  • blue_boxblue_box Member Posts: 4
    After five months and 1800 miles (I did say our daily drives are very short), I can say we're thoroughly convinced we bought not just the right car, but the best one out of any we considered. This thing is just plain great. Its good looks have only grown more on us over time, but its price, practicality and creature features seal the deal.

The ride has broken in and smoothed out, we've taken a long highway trip, and have tested its cargo limits on several occasions. Our highway mileage was 29mpg running a fairly constant 65mph on a 200-mile trip with cruise control on most of the way. Noted that slight uphill grades will cause a downshift out of 6th gear, dropping the mileage a bit; keep it at 60 or less and you're good for 32mpg. Our very short everyday driving is producing a steady 19.6mpg; her old Prizm (Corolla) barely did any better. (I wish those people Mario Andretti's out there would stop bitching that they're not getting 32mpg while doing 70+... :mad: )

There's a lot of nice touches in this car that we hadn't noticed initially. Things like the passenger helper handle (overhead just inside the door) it's fluid damped, so it flips back up silently. The floor mats have holes where hooks in the floor prevent them from sliding forward under the pedals. All four windows have auto-down switches, not just the driver. To complement the rear child door lock-out, the rear windows have a lock-out also (we have two kids and still missed this on the checklist!). On and on. Even the console cupholders -- we have yet to find a cup of any size that doesn't fit them securely. And that sunroof - I must say my wife was right. It is nice to have, but our toddler just loves it.

And that wonderful sliding rear seat... oh, you have no idea how useful that generous 8" of travel is until you have two kids in the back, and just got more stuff on sale than you thought you had room for. Slide it forward, kids still have legroom, and those extra packages fit below the rear seat level, leaving no chance for things to fly over top in an emergency stop, thanks to the cargo cover you didn't have to take out because you had to pile things up. Try that in your RAV4 or Tuscon.

Just one quirk so far, only in the past week; some partial-throttle engine knock, likely due to some off-spec gas (we're in a year-round E10 state, but have several incidences of stations selling bad gas). Because of the direct-inject high compression design, it doesn't surprise me that some spark knock might occur once in a blue moon, but with today's modern electronics it's a bit of a puzzle. If it persists, we'll take it in for a checkup.

p.s. XM bumped us up an extra four months for nothing, so far as I can tell. Guess they need to keep up subscriber numbers, even though they're givin' it away for free. I still wish GM would put in HD radios standard...
  • peddler3peddler3 Member Posts: 10
    I was wondering what the max interior cargo height is in the 2010 Equinox. The only stats i can find on the cargo area is total area. Anyone interested in going out with a tape measure? Also, it appears the seats don't fold flat. How much cargo height is lost over the folded down back seats? Thanks
  • ktreecektreece Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone experienced problems with their 2010 Equinox shifting gears rough around 30-40 mph. I have approx 1400 miles on my vehicle and have been experiencing this since I bought the vehicle. No check engine light displays so have not taken it the the dealer. Anyone know if the ECU can be read to see if it displays any codes even though the check engine light has not come on?
  • terexterex Member Posts: 26
    Hit the blue OnStar button and ask the Advisor to run a diagnostic on your vehicle. They can tell if you've set a code.