Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 350 versus Toyota Highlander Limited?

2»

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    In the past 10 years or so Lexus factory representatives have attempted to explain to me on numerous ocassions, phone and face to face, just how and why the RX and HL series have front torque biasing, most definitely so.

All I have ever gotten out of those explanations is that it has something to do with the mechanics of the center diff'l vs the front diff'l vs the rear diff'l configuration. Number of side, spider, gears in each..?
  • mgrodymgrody Member Posts: 2
    That's very interesting and I hadn't given it any thought. Thank you!
  • titancrewtitancrew Member Posts: 17
    "Should that initial wheelspin/slip event happen to occur at the front (a F/awd virtual CERTAINTY IMO) then the driver, at this instant in time, has lost directional control of the vehicle. Obviously that would not be the case with a rear biased, R/awd, system. "

The same thing would occur with a R/awd system too because if the wheel spin occurs a the front, power will be routed to the slipping wheel unless you have an active (i.e. Torsen or equivalent) center diff because power will ALWAYS go to the wheel of least resistance (i.e. slipping wheel). If the F/awd system has an active center diff, it will send the power to rear wheel this situation just like the R/awd. Even your explanation for the different awd system concede this. So I don't know how you can conclude that a R/awd system is better.

Hence, it doesn't matter whether you have a F/awd or R/awd system, it all depends on the type of front, center, and rear differentials. If they are all open, then you have a essentially one-wheel drive vehicle. Very few car-based vehicles come with Torsen center diff or locking/limited slip front and rear diffs anymore. Most use TC ABS to simulate resistance/friction.

Here's an interesting article on why FWD and AWD system based on FWD are better than RWD and AWD system based on RWD in low speed low traction situation.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/02/avoidable-contact-color-my-world-the-ca- se-for-front-wheel-drive/