Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Hyundai Genesis Initial Quality and Issues

2»

Comments

• sooththetruthsooththetruth Member Posts: 40
    I didn't look back, but I have not seen this in the 5 months I have followed this forum. there is nothing over the lens, and there is some image, just VERY DARK, and really a non discernible image
  • ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
    From your description, are you sure you did not order the rear view camera as part of the Colonoscopy Package :P Sorry, I could not resist the set up.
    are you sure you did not order the rear view camera as part of the Colonoscopy Package

Wow, I may have checked that box by accident!

Maybe this is a business opportunity.
    So, I had lost the camera use after washing my car. I looked at the lens, wiped it off, looked to see if something was loose, and found nothing wrong. Yesterday I washed my car again, and the rear view camera worked.

I don't know why this should be, but I suspect I have a loose connection, and will take it to dealer, and then report.
  • bman900bman900 Member Posts: 55
    There is a post on www.genesisowners.com

"For 2011 Hyundai has reverted back to the 2009 suspension, because no one could tell the difference between 2009 and 2010, and they had a lot of 2009 components left over so they thought they would use them up. "

Can anyone verify this? I am torn between purchasing a leftover 2010 and a new 2011. Some of the dealers have 2011s and from what I can see there are no major changes. I have read other posts claiming minor tweaks to the 2010 suspension, but no major architecture changes in the suspension. Need some input....
  • toyetoye Member Posts: 351
    Had same problem thought it was loose connection...took it in on a Tuesday Dealer had to order new camera gave me a loaner new Sonata for the rest of the week picked up my Genesis on Friday pm...worked fine ever since
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,851
    Can anyone verify this?

I read that too and I think that it was a joke. The ride issue is a "hot" topic on that forum. I have a Genesis and don't want to try and sway you either way, but, all I can say is this: if you like a floaty type ride do not buy a Genesis. I came from a Toyota Avalon (06) and am very disappointed in the ride.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• pc_genesispc_genesis Member Posts: 6
    I just test drove the bmw 5 series and audi q5 but finally leased a 2011 genesis 3.8..its truly amazing what this car is!! Its so luxurious- i thought much better than a audi q5 or a BMW 5 series.. ride is a bit on the firmer side but nothing obtrusive. Make sure u drive both 3.8 and 4.6 because their is a major difference in the steering control..

In all a very solid car which delivers where it matters..Luxury does not mean spending money through the roof and I am glad their is a car company which think that way!!
    Congratuations on your new Genesis!
  • johnson4140johnson4140 Member Posts: 1
    The suspension system is bad, very rough ride. Is there a fix for IT??Will Hyundai accept responsibility for fixing the problem??
    This is the way the car rides. I have driven about 5 different Genesis models (V6s, V8s, 17"/18" wheels). It is the way the car is designed and they all ride the same. There was a mid year change to the 09s in which they altered some pieces of the rear suspension (actually making it firmer, so the rear didn't bounce as much). Hyundai will not do a thing (referencing several complaints from another forum). I too am unhappy with my early 09s ride, not because I believe there is a fault with the car, but due to the fact I am too used to a soft plush ride. Next time I know better to stick with what I know I like, rather than trying to change.

• kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    edited September 2010
    Someone in the aftermarket could make a mint with replacement springs, shocks, bushings, and tires designed to make the Genesis ride like a luxury car instead of an Accent. Hyundai should offer the Genesis with two suspension setups, luxury and sport.They might even sell more Genesi with those options. In any case, it will be better than alienating customers who expected a luxury car ride in their Hyundai.
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    Don't expect the Equus to ride much better. It sounds like it might be a waste of time for me to test drive an Equus.

http://www.autobytel.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_pag- e_order_int/5/article_id_int/8774

"Under the skin is a modified Genesis chassis, though the air suspension system is all Equus. In Normal mode, we enjoyed a smooth and quiet ride on good roads, but on rough pavement Hyundai's luxurious sedan transmitted too much jounce and felt stiffer than expected. Tap the Sport button next to the shift knob and the steering becomes more responsive and the suspension firmer. When subjected to tight corners at impressive speeds, the 2011 Equus responded with plenty of grip and little body motion."
  • davidirndavidirn Member Posts: 4
    We bought our Genesis online. A dealer over 2 hours from us sold us the car. The car was delivered to our home. We noted a damaged area on the passenger side door panel. The salesman said that was just a finger print and will come off. The damaged area did not come off. We contacted the salesman, he told us any Hyundai dealer can fix that. There is a dealer only 15 minutes from us. This dealer looked at the door panel and said it needs to be replaced but this dealership refused to fix it. We are now faced with having to dive 2 hours to have the dealer who sold us the car look and the problem. Dive home and then return when the part comes in and again back home. On a good day without traffic is over 9 hours of driving and a cost of about $100.00 or more in gas. Our previous car was a BMW any problems we had was taken care of without any delay or much effort on our part to solve the problems. The service with Hyundai stinks. This is what will take down the Hyundai corporation. People will stop buying high end cars from Hyundai when it gets out their post sales service is so bad.
    You should have refused delivery of the Genesis from the get go. reguardless what your salesman said. I can't fault the local Hyundai dealer refusing somebody elses mistake.

That is the problem with doing business oneline..inspecting the new car on the lot in person before taking ownership is a must.

Why don't you make them bring the loaner car to you.

Anyway good luck with your Genesis after this situation is rectified.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I agree. Never buy online unless you plan to make the drive to test drive the vehicle and inspect it before purchasing. I bought a car off craigslist that way. I test drove it and inspected it before handing the guy my money.
  • bembie22bembie22 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2009 genesis in December 2008. Since the car has been driven off the dealer lot, carbon has been accumulating on the chrome tips of the exhaust. I use a middle grade gas and have tried high test with no noticable difference in the accumulation. Hyundai service people have been no help. Anyone else having this problem?.
    I wipe my tips everytime I wash!
    I wipe my tips everytime I wash!

Yep, no way around it unfortunately.

I have the same problem, and never thought, until seeing this thread, to wash my tips. I hope they are not scored from waiting too long.
    If they are, just use some chrome wheel cleaner should not have any problems.
    If they are, just use some chrome wheel cleaner should not have any problems.

Thanks, a simple but good idea.
  • donb1donb1 Member Posts: 49
    I hope I am on the right forum here. I am giving serious consideration to purchasing a 2010/2011 3.8 Genesis. I am also considering a 2011 Avalon. I have owned 3 Avalons and while I am ready for a change I also can appreciate what the Avalon can offer. The biggest factor is the 5 yr warranty for the Genesis. I have heard however that you must strictly adhere to the maintenance program and that the normal services tend to be expensive. The Avalon is now offering a 2 yr free maintenance program on new cars. Can anyone tell me what the normal maintainence costs are likely to be for a 1 or 2 yr period? I really like both cars but I am, as a lot of people are, concerned about true cost of ownership of Hyundai.

Thanks
  • aqua33v6aqua33v6 Member Posts: 38
    edited October 2010
    Hyundai dealers charge no more for routine maintenance services than other car dealers. Don't know where you're getting this info from. Any manufacturer will ask for proof of scheduled maintenance if you have a mechanical failure within the warranty period. If you skip maint. items, the manufacturer has more room to haggle. Toyota, Honda, Ford, GM, Hyundai.... doesn't matter. Big corporations will deny warranty claims if they can save thousands of dollars by proving the failure was caused the customer's negligence. Remember the hassles Toyota owners went through to get their sludged engines replaced by Toyota, even after following the maintenance schedule in their owners manual? It required a class action lawsuit before Toyota finally started making right on their obligations to their customers.

Based on the Genesis owner's manual, figure around $500 for scheduled maint. during the first 2 years - or, about the same as any other new mainstream sedan. Hyundai models are as good as, or better than, any competing models from other car makers. No need whatsoever to be concerned about their quality.
  • donb1donb1 Member Posts: 49
    Thanks Aqua for your feedback. I looked over my bills for all the services (required maintanence) on the 2005 Avalon and it came to just over $500 for 2 yrs. Looks like that is in line
    Regular oil changes, rotate your tires are only the basic maintenance issues. The dunlap tires have been worned out somewhat by 25k others well into the 30k range. Other than replacing backup camera going blank the dealership (under warenty)was more than happy to me a satisfied customer. The Avalan is a nice car but is not a RWD as the Genesis is...u will love the driving dynamics...but remember it is not floater like Lexus so the ride is different!!

Good Luck on your decision!!!.
    edited October 2010
    I had an 06 Avalon and now an 09 Genesis. The only maintenance difference I have noticed is Toyota specs out 5000 mile oil changes and my dealer told me 3750 on the Genesis. I would say maintenance is basically the same.

Now, IMO if you like the Avalon's ride stay away from the Genesis. The ride is firm, nervous and unsettled. It does not have that pillow soft isolated ride the Avalon delivers. I am growing tired of my 09 very fast and long for my Avalon back.

My Genesis also so far hasn't been the pinnacle of reliability either. It recently went through an episode of stalling on the highway and stranding me in a parking lot (twice). The dealer was told by Hyundai corporate to clean and re-secure all the grounds in the car. This seems to have fixed things. I have also had a handful of minor interior issues as well.

Until the vehicle reaches 30k miles, it's just oil changes/tire rotations. Even though the manual says every 3750 miles, you can go every 5k miles. I've been told that the 2011 model's ride is a whole lot better than the 09-10. Happy shopping.
  • trevormtrevorm Member Posts: 1
    Excellent car and am enjoying it greatly but discovered that at 31,000 klms. (minus two seasons of snow tire use) so.. perhaps 22 to 25000 klms. the rear tires are worn slick with driver's side showing carcass thru the surface. Fronts very well worn too. Unacceptable! Replaced all with Michelin Pilots.
  • karachiwalakarachiwala Member Posts: 1
    i am considering a 2011 genesis.just wondering how it handles with winter tires.
  • firegarzfiregarz Member Posts: 2
    I have a comment, that could possibly also serve as advice for some. I am the owner of a 2009 Hyundai Genesis. Even when my vehicle hasn't been bad to me (I had my fair share of problems, but that is beyond the scope of this forum), my dealership experience has been worse than awful. I paid around forty thousand dollars for this car, but when I go back to my delaership (HUB HYUNDAI WEST in Houston), I am treated like the owner of a fifteen thousand Hyunday Accent. The waiting room is a 10X10 rat cage, with the most uncomfortable chairs you can ever imagine, and no entretainment whatsoever. Just awful! What a far cry from the treatment that I received from my Lexus dealer (I used to have a GS300 before the Genesis). If you want "cheap", go for the Genesis. That's how your dealer will treat you. I'd rather spend a little bit extra and enjoy the next several years being treated the way I like and deserve. My last piece of advice: If you still decide to buy the Genesis, don't buy from HUB HYUNDAI. You will come to regret it eventually. Just like I did
    edited January 2011
    I have my issues with my Genesis, but, I have to say that my dealer treats me very well. The car is always washed (well, not some half-[non-permissible content removed] job) and filled with gas anytime it is there.

They are currently under construction to improve the facility and offer a loaner for all service.

Why don't you try another Hyundai dealer in the area. You don't have to have it serviced where you bought it.

• poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    You'd rather pay extra for comfortable chairs and a television tuned to the People's Court in a service waiting room that you hope to never use? If you've got extra money to throw around, why not just pay to have your vehicle picked up and dropped off and avoid the waiting room altogether?

Oh, and by the way it would take more than a little bit extra to get into the same size, power, and equipment in a Lexus. Just sayin.
  • genesis57genesis57 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2009 v6 with Tech Package that has 34,500 miles on it. I've recently started experiencing electrical issues where when I turn the car off, the radio continues to play...but all other lights, features are off. I have to turn the car on and off several times to get it to stop. Of more concern is that now, when I turn the car off, the steering column no longer retracts or tilts up and away from the driver seat. When using the toggle switch on the left side of the column, response is intermittent and I can eventually get it to tilt up and retract but it no longer does it on it's own. I've reset the driver memory positions a couple times, and ensured that this tilt away function is selected in the driver options. Has anyone else had any issues with this or other dash electronics?

Other than this, the car has been flawless. Once I got rid of the OEM Dunlops and put Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on....the ride and handling improved dramatically. These tires are amazing on wet roads and I'm looking forward to seeing if they live up to their reviews on snow traction performance this winter. I still get lots of compliments on the car, and love the fit and finish and all the options included. Great car.
    The power tilt/tele wheel is a known problem for the Genesis. The dealer should be able to fix it, by installing new "limit" switches.

Mine has had that fix and still is wacky. It always retracts but often doesn't return to the right spot. In addition mine never goes back to the right spot with the memory presets. After my GF drives the car and I push memory setting number 1 I can bet that the wheel will be in my lap.

I just deal with it, only 10 months left with the car.

I haven't experienced the radio issue.
    As for your other

This discussion has been closed.