Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• 67gp67gp Member Posts: 5
    Hello all. Since deciding on 4 Runner I have found this forum to be very informative. My only remaining decision is to chose the motor. I've only noticed 2 V6 MPG reports posted(18.6 & +/-18). Any more input would be very much appreciated. It seems the posted V8 MPG avg about 16.6. I started out about 80% sure I would opt for the V6(4WD Sport)-until I drove the V6 SR5 & V8 Sport back to back(no V6 Sports to drive). I must admit I was very impressed by V8-it felt much more powerful. I was quoted a good price for the V6-but the V8 price w/ same options was $+1950. This seems odd because lot is full of V8s w/ hardly any V6s. BTW all Sports are optioned out the same in No. Cal.(w/ running boards, moonroof, spoiler etc). I do not tow anything at the present time and I figure a 2 MPG diff(assuming $2 gas) would be about $124/10K miles. Thanks in advance & please keep posting real life MPGs & driving impressions for both motors.
  • tacovivatacoviva Member Posts: 116
    I have a 03 SE V8. I check the mileage all the time and on the average I get 18.5 city and about 21 on the freeway. I test drove them both and liked the V8 much better. The price diff was only 200 more for the V8 for me. I would look a bit closer at the numbers. I think the V8 costs about 700 more, in general.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    larryjordan56, also try a different dealer next time. I use Marietta Toyota on Cobb Parkway, and their service is pretty good. I had one warranty service done on my 96 Tacoma and did get a loaner car without asking. Good luck.
  • sovangsovang Member Posts: 56
    I am just about ready for my 3000 mile oil change. I get a little sqeaks here and there, but nothing major. I am also watching my gas mileage and it ranges from 16 to 18 depending on how I drive. I have never heard of 10 to 11 MPG though--those numbers are in the suburban territory.

SV
  • larryjordan56larryjordan56 Member Posts: 2
    No, when I test-drove the truck everything seemed fine...I didn't drive it over rough terrain which would have revealed all of the rattles...the best mileage that I have ever got (calculated by number of miles recorded on the trip odometer divided by gallons at the pump) is 13 on a trip while the computer said 19...as for the suggestion that I go to Marietta Toyota I will try that, thanks. I must admit, for a truck that had an MSRP of $38k I feel like the redheaded stepchild that bought the biggest piece of crap...If I can't get this thing fixed to my satisfaction I am going to trade it on an Envoy which I really wanted in the first place...
  • brestlebrestle Member Posts: 22
    I'm on my third tank of gas on my V6 Limited and I'm calculating the actual MPG. I should have it by late this week. I'll make sure to post it here.

As I've mentioned before the MPG was a big part of why I went with the V6, but my insurance also would have been higher, and I simply didn't want to drive around in 4WD all the time (the ride is a bit stiffer to me and the wear and tear on the parts/tires must be higher).

Chris
  • sbresciasbrescia Member Posts: 1
    Doing my first oil change on a 2002 6 cyl Toyota 4Runner. The manual says, "change with filter" 5.5 quarts. This manual must be wrong, to get oil level to "F" Full, it takes just about 6 quarts. Anyone else experience this dilemma?
  • ngiovanningiovanni Member Posts: 2
    Hello all! I'm curious on the cost of insurance for an 03 4Runner. I read on insure.com that the 02 was one of the most expensive vehicles to insure and don't understand why.

I currently own a 225 TT and also plan on purchasing a V8 Sport Edition in the coming months. However, the insurance on the TT is outrageous (I currently live in NJ) and I'm a bit confused as to how the 4Runner could appear on that list and the TT doesn't? Does this mean the 4Runner is going to cost more to insure than the TT? I just don't see how that is possible. Unfortunately if it does I will have to look elsewhere for an SUV or give up the TT. :-(
  • stephend2stephend2 Member Posts: 21
    I too was a little surprised by the rates. I had an 01 Sequoia ltd and the 03 4runner v8 sport is about 20 percent more. Some of the increase is an across the board rate for all cars in our province but the 4 runner is in a higher "rate category" than the Sequoia.
     Having said that the v8 is an amazing engine and wouldn't have bought any other if I was to do it again. We got the sport because didn't t want the leather or the running boards and loved the way it handled with the xres suspension. I felt the seats in the ltd were a bit softer and made the ride feel softer but that could have been the rear air suspension too.
      My only complaint is the steering has a bit of a dead on centre feel and this could be due to the alignment which had to be redone on delivery. The Dunlops are also mediocre and luckily will wear out at 30000 miles. Hopefully at that time there will be more choices available than there are right now.
    Cheers steve d
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    My 2001 owners manual says 5.2 quarts and the first time I changed, it took a little over 6 quarts. Later I noticed the level changes about 1/3 of a quart when the engine is warm. So now I put in about 5 2/3 quarts. So putting in about 6 quarts sounds right to me.

http://www.4x4wire.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;- t=014758
  • superleggerasuperleggera Member Posts: 74
    I've been looking into roof rack options for the 03 4Runner. I primarily carry snowboards and bikes. Can someone tell me where to find Toyota OEM racks designed for this car?
  • iceman50iceman50 Member Posts: 20
    I want to thank everyone on this web site for all the help and information that they have provided over the last year. I just got my 2003 4Runner V8 4WD Limited. It has almost every option except the navigation system and the air suspension. The MSRP was $40668 and I paid $36,691, almost a $4000 discount; so there are good deals out there. The one thing I have noticed is that it is really easy for the shift lever to be in "4" instead of "D", which could be the reason that some people are reporting poor gas mileage for the V8. I will report my mileage after a few tankfulls. Thanks again.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Superleggera, try Yakima.com or Thule.com and ask the fitment people there if they have clips or whatever yet for the '03. The more interest they get the quicker they'll get something to work, if they don't already have something on the shelf.

Someone recommended an online rack shop a while back on Town Hall but I've forgotten the name & URL. They had Barrelcrafter stuff in addition to the Yak & Thule brands. REI.com may have some info too.

Congrats to Iceman50 and all the other new owners!

Steve, Host
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I am not sure where you are located, but I am in Marin County, and the local dealer has had several V-6s without moonroofs or spoilers. They have all had running boards, however.

The V-6s were coming in fully loaded up when they were first available, but now they can be had without much added stuff.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• 67gp67gp Member Posts: 5
    I contacted my insurance agent and they quoted me a rate $30/yr higher for V8 Sport vs V6 Sport(an increase of about $350 over my current rates-1998 Explorer Sport). I have also found another dealer who will sell V8 or V6 for invoice +$1000. He did have 1 V6 sport in stock-but w/o JBL( one option that I do want ). I could get used to the sunroof-it cuts into my headroom(i'm 6'6")but there is adequate clearance. Nipponly-I have been checking w/ some dealers between Reno & Sac.
  • sovangsovang Member Posts: 56
    Could someone recommend a roof basket for the 03 4runner? I am looking something short so it will clear a normal height garage. I don't like the idea of continuing to remove the darn thing.

Thanks.

SV
    Thanks for the reply. Thule does not yet have 03 4Runner gear fitted yet, but I got on an e-mail list, so they'll let me know when it comes available and I will pass that information on to the folks on this board.

The reason I wanted to get a "Toyota" ski rack instead of Yakima or Thule was because I saw one on a Limited and it looked more "fitted". It just slid into the existing rack rails instead of requiring additional crossbars or other hardware. Do you know where I can find this Toyota purpose-built hardware?

I have never had a ski rack before, so pardon my ignorance.

BTW, I am checking all this stuff out because I am awaiting the delivery of my Galactic Gray Sport Edition V6 4x4! It's coming tomorrow. I'll give full details and impressions after this weekend...
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    superleggera,

I don't know what exactly your requirements are, but if it isn't out of your price range, I'd really recomment a yakima space booster type rack. They are fully contained, weather proof, lockable, and can be used for much more than skis (I'd put ski's, snowboard, boots, clothes, daypacks, and anything else I didn't want in the car). I had one for my old truck and am going to put it on my 4x4 sport ed. when it comes in. It fits any truck that has two crossbars, and is extremely aerodynamic and light (and strong, i've dropped mine several times when trying to grip it when wet/icy/sandy). If you just wanted a rack rack.. then nevermind!

-Jared
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You might find something with an internet search for "toyota roof rack." Looks like the OEM stuff is made by Thule, so you're on the right track.

Steve, Host
  • ownertobe1ownertobe1 Member Posts: 2
    I just got back from my local Toyota dealer and have decided to go with the 2003 4Runner Limited V8. I only need to decide between Titanium Silver or the Stratosphere Mica.

I liked everything about the SUV but had one question, is it me or does the brake pedal seem a little too soft and the brakes slow to respond?

I've driven other SUV's this week and own a Lexus RX300 and none have this "soft" feeling with the brakes. Does anyone else find this to be true on the 2003 4Runner?

For those who care, $500 over invoice.

Thank you in advance...
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    How do like that Stratosphere Mica? Never found one on a lot to look at. Is it as dark as the brochure, or does it have any purple in it when the sun hits it?

Just curious.
  • ownertobe1ownertobe1 Member Posts: 2
    They only had the Silver and the Gray on the lot in the Limited. I'm having the dealer bring a Stratosphere Mica in so I can see how it looks before I finalize the deal.

If I don't like it I'm going with the Silver.
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    I saw the Mica on the lot, and didn't like it as much as I thought I might. It was sunny, and I didn't really see much purple in it. It was pretty dark.

Mica was too dark, and almost exactly the same color of the car I'm replacing, so my wife and I are looking for basically the same car (V8 Limited) in Pacific Blue. I believe the photos on Edmund's Road Test are of a Pacific Blue limited. There was a V6 Pacific Blue Limited on the lot, it was nice.

Kinda wish the Limited came in either the red or the green, those are great colors. Especially the Red.

Silver looks great, but I think about half of them being sold are silver, and my other car is silver, so....

There's a Dorado Gold one that is often parked about a block from my work building. It's nice, but as some of my friends commented, they thought that color went out with the '70's.

Only limited colors I haven't seen in person are black and gray.
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    On the test drive, the brake softness you describe wasn't really apparent to me, but if you read Edmund's road test, they do mention the same thing. I doubt you're imagining it.

As for the prices, $500 over invoice seems about what most dealers are working at for the model you describe (invoice here or at KBB plus whatever TDA is in your area). I think pricing one out at www.carsdirect.com is a good sanity check, though.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I didn't test drive a limited, but the brakes on the Sport are not soft. Actually I find them very predictable and with a pretty good feel to the pedal with good feedback. I have owned quite a few vehicles and rent all kinds of cars on business trip. (If you want a pathetic vehicle, drive a Kia Sportage. I was offered one in place of the car I had reserved so I took it). The 4 Runner brakes are well above average.
     I drove in to work this AM in about 7 " of snow. The anti-lock is one of the least chattering I have used. I remember when ABS first came out. Quite a few people let off the ABS it made such a laud, obnoxious chattering through the brake pedal.
  • cevans2cevans2 Member Posts: 23
    I've got a 98 4runner 4X4 that's got an annoying intermittent steering wheel vibration at about 65-70 MPH. I've replaced tires, rotated tires, and had 3 tire shops and the dealer high-speed balance the tires but the vibration remains. I'm at the end of my rope - nobody can find anything wrong with the truck. Anybody had a problem like this on a 4runner? Any idea where I can get some answers/suggestions? I apologize if this has been discussed before, but, unfortunately, Edmunds' search doesn't allow me to search a specific topic for keywords.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Did you try advanced search?

tidester, host
  • cevans2cevans2 Member Posts: 23
    My apologies, tidester. Next time, I'll look before I leap. Didn't see that new feature.
    Maybe a bad wheel bearing? Not sure what other symptoms relate to it.
  • dawgpakdawgpak Member Posts: 42
    I updated my 4runner page w/ more reviews and road tests. enjoy! btw, great message board!

http://www.dawgpak.com/4runner/

rb
    The Space Booster type sounds like a really practical idea, but I think all I need are the racks. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    you may need to have your brake rotors resurfaced - does the brake pedal pulse when you hit the brakes coming off the freeway?

On the Runner, once the rotor warpage is bad enough, it sends a little vibration through the whole vehicle when you are at freeway speed.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    btw, great message board!

Thanks! Nice page you have there!

tidester, host
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    Chris, that's a very common problem with 3rd gen 4Runners, and one I experienced myself on our '98.

Your wheels are lugcentric, i.e., depend on the wheel lugs for centering. Most wheels are hubcentric and get centered by the wheel hubs. Tire balancing equipment typically uses a cone adapter to mount the wheel to the balancer via its center hole. This can't precisely center or properly balance your wheels.

What you need is a gadget called a Haweka lugcentric adapter. Toyota dealers are required to have one, but I believe not all actually do. They're expensive (>$500), so can be hard to find. Ask your dealer's service writer if they have the adapter. If so, let them rebalance your wheels. If not, keep looking, as you'll never get a good balance job without one.

I went through what you've gone through several years ago, and the relief at finally having properly balanced wheels is hard to describe! Don't just put up with it - bad wheel balance will cause tire cupping and will beat up steering components such as your rack and pinion, ball joints and tie rod ends.

Good luck. It could still be something else, but I'd bet this is the same issue I (and many, many others)had.

-Karl (Now with an '03 4Runner Limited, with hubcentric wheels)
    SR5's with the Appearance Package are now on dealers' lots.

The cladding appears to be smooth. Identical to the Limiteds.
    An interesting note on a dealer web site mentioned, the V8 can tow up to 7000 lbs. with a class IV weight distribution type hitch.
  • sstaticsstatic Member Posts: 10
    Hi all...new here.

What are the known problems/issues with the new 03 V8 4 Runner? Are there any significant ones that we know of yet? I saw the shock "chirp" and the blurry mirror, any thing else please. My eyes are going cross-eyed trying to read all these messages. Can someone break it down for me. I'm totally new to the Toyota scene so don't know a thing about them. I'm interested in buying one, but am hesitant because of the "first year" problems that they might have...any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, does anyone know a DIRECT email or some way of getting hold of Toyota to offer some suggestions as to what we would like to see in the future 4 Runners? I tried their website, but was unlucky. Maybe I just missed it. Where are 4 Runners built? Sorry for all the stupid questions...thanks!

Jason
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    That dealer's web site is wrong. Towing capacity is 5000, no matter what you do to it.
    The only "problem" I know of is the moonroof wind baffle. It is intended to reduce wind noise and varies its height by speed. I find that it creates a VERY loud thumping sound unless you also open a window.

They are built in Japan.

I know of no direct suggestion box. Even dealers have to go through dealer council meetings to offer suggestions and those are usually ignored.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Cliffy and others,

Actually, talking to the regional rep, Toyota will be offering a DH option from PPO or the dealer can install the same hitch. It replaces the one in the rear bumper and increases tow capability to 7,000 lbs. I mentioned the possibility a couple of months ago, but it appears that they're finaly getting it available. The hitch in the bumper was limited in its capacity to tow anything over 5,000 lbs because the receiver needed to be made shallower than standard to accomidate the full-sized spare.

Ken
    Cool! Very cool. I didn't know that.
    Cliffy, no fishing today?
  • sstaticsstatic Member Posts: 10
    Cliffy1, thanks for the info!

Any others with more info. would be greatly appreciated.

Dawgpack...very cool website!

:o)jg
    Fishing days are Thursday and every other Sunday... once the ice melts off the Potomac. Thanks for asking though.
    I just remembered something else on the suggestion box question. Read back in this topic about 2 months. Somebody found an e-mail address where they complained about the gray molding. They got an actual response by e-mail. I had forgotten about that.
    Here's the Toyota number:

Toyota Customer Assistance
    6am - 6pm Pacific Time
    800.331.4331 Option #3.

They actually answer the line in person.
  • rickwil61rickwil61 Member Posts: 23
    I have a question for those of you who have done special orders for the 2003 4Runners. Are the options that you can order wide open or are you confined to options packages? For instance I am interested in a SR5 V6 without the sunroof but that has the JBL stereo and side airbags. All of the trucks on the lot that had these options had the sunroof. Do you think I would have any problem getting this configuration or do I have to get the sunroof to get the JBL and side airbags?
  • passthegravypassthegravy Member Posts: 17
    You would have to be out of your mind to try to tow 7,000 pounds with a 4Runner, especially if it is anything that catches wind (such as a travel trailer). You need a 3/4 ton pickup for that. Folks, towing isn't about whether you can pull something. It's about whether you can CONTROL it and STOP it. Be careful out there. And make sure your life insurance is paid up before you hook onto a 7,000 pound load with your 4Runner.
  • allen53flallen53fl Member Posts: 41
    Time to turn in my leased (48 mth) 1998 4Runner Ltd soon (04/24/03) and I need to replace a fog lamp unit.

The lens was cracked by a small flying rock 5 minutes after I leased it (as I was driving home from the dealer!) UMPH. Oh well. Then I found out you can't just replace the small lens cover, you have to replace the WHOLE unit! $358. dbl UMPH. Talk about a bad design!!

I have ignored this problem up until now and it's time to play catch up. I remember reading about a HUGE Toyota recycle auto parts store (in NJ I think) several years ago. Of course, I don't recall the name or info. Searched google, no can find. Can anyone point me in the right direction??? If not, guess I'll just scout out some local yards (central/SE FL). I really don't want to pay full price for such a 'minor' repair.

My 4 Runner has been the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned,( read NO problems!) and frankly, I am sorry to see it go. But being newly retired, I can't justify the insurance/expense of having a second vehicle...we are going to TRY to get by w/one in the household and the 4Runner lost to the other one. Wah!

Any help or advice concerning the fog lamp replacement would be appreciated.

TIA,
    allen53fl