Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 and Earlier Chevrolet Traverse Lease Questions

Comments

• delta737hdelta737h Member Posts: 626
    edited September 2010
    colt,

Leasing isn't for everyone. Whether one leases or buys depends upon individual preferences, usage, holding period, and investment opportunities.There are leasing arrangements that make leasing the better alternative than purchasing for many people and the odds are, in fact, much better than one in a million.

As I've already indicated, the decision to buy or lease involves selecting a holding period (sometimes called a planning period) which is the length of time one plans to hold the asset and may differ for a lease than for a purchase. In such instances, time-valued adjustments should be made. Next, one chooses the methodology to be used which is usually an incremental cost approach or a net present value approach. There are other approaches that can be used but the two mentioned are the most prevalent. They're also very valid. Of course, any good study will capture the depreciation time-line profile associated with the vehicle under study.

In the interests of simplicity, we'll assume identical holding periods in which case, the buy payment streams exceed the lease payment streams triggered by residualized financing. Adjusting for any differences in upfront transaction costs, we can state the following...

If the future value (benefit derived) of the increment between the buy payment streams and the lease payment streams (i.e., cash flows) exceeds the net terminal value of the vehicle at the end of the holding period, then the financials tell us that it's best to lease. The benefit that the individual derives can be quantified in a variety of ways (investment opportunities, purchase of durable goods, etc). And so, there is a quantifiable benefit associated with leasing that exceeds that of purchasing in some instances. By the way, the net terminal value of the vehicle captures all future benefits associated with the remaining life of the vehicle as well.

Consider the following hypothetical (realistic albeit simple) example applicable to a 36 month holding period. All upfront costs are assumed to be amortized over the 36 month holding period and termination costs (e.g., wear/tear) are reflected in the market value...

Month... Lease Payment.... Buy Payment... Increment
    1... -235... -490... 255
    2... -235... -490... 255
    3... -235... -490... 255
    36... -235... -490... 255

Buyout... -9,500... 0... -9,500
    Market Value... 9,500... 9,500... 0

As you know, one advantage of leasing is that you're under no obligation to purchase the vehicle at lease end. If your buyout price exceeds market value at termination, simply return the vehicle and walk away.

In this example, the lessee realizes a monthly savings of $255 but would owe $9,500 should they elect to exercise their buy option. The lease, in this example, makes sense IF...

(A) The market value is at least 9,500 and
    (B) The value derived from having an additional $255 each month exceeds the
    equivalent of $9,500 after 36 months

The incremental cash flows tell us that the IRR (Internal Rate of Return) is about 2.20%. And so, if your investment opportunity rate exceeds an after tax equivalent of 2.20% per annum, then the $255 monthly savings will exceed the net terminal value of $9,500 after 36 months which, of course, will exceed the value of the asset.

Hope this helps.

John
  • colt_herocolt_hero Member Posts: 107
    delta,

I appreciate your effort in trying to put a positive spin on leasing, but my advice to everyone out there is to avoid it like the plague. Maybe if you can write off a portion of the lease on your taxes, or if you're a good negotiator who can hammer out a fair deal, leasing might be an option for you. But for everyone else: STAY AWAY. The dealer will just end up stealing your money. You'll be making a monthly payment large enough to buy the vehicle outright, but you'll have nothing to show for it at the end. For you, it's just another dealer racket.
  • msjhsapmsjhsap Member Posts: 8
    Car Man... I come to this site to hear from you. The latest strings (specifically on this page) debating the pros and cons of leasing I find useless. What we do with our money is our business. Now to the car...

I have given up on the GMC Acadia and now am looking at the Traverse. Can I please get some numbers on the following...

FWD 2011 Traverse 36/39 month Lease 15K miles: residual and interest rate. What difference does the trim make on the above numbers? For the purpose of this quote, I guess I am partial to the LTZ with entertainment. However, if you have the time and the numbers on the LT1 and LT2 are readily available, it would help. Much appreciated! I am in Northern CA if it matters.
  • djhalptertdjhalptert Member Posts: 115
    Spoken like a real mouth-breather. Hmmm...let's see, reasons to lease??? How about saving a couple hundred dollars a month for two or three years. Is that a good reason? I leased a 2010 Ford Edge, MSRP $35,690 for 27 months, ZERO DOWN, and my payment including 7% sales tax is $297.81. If I would have bought it, even on a 72 month loan, my payment would have been $200 more. So take $200 and multiply that by 27 months. That's $5400 I saved by leasing. Who cares if I don't own the vehicle at lease end. Do you really think you would ever be ahead even $2000 after 3 years on a traditional loan? No way. Dealers don't want your used car. You are lucky to even get Kelly Blue Book trade-in anymore.
    I don't know ... I guess it's just how people value different things. My motto is "buy new and hold for 10 years or 200,000 miles ... whichever comes LAST". I pay cash for my vehicles and do all the service work myself. My typical gross cost per year (purchase price divided by years of service, not counting routine service) has been $450 (my very first car - Japanese economy car), $1300 (and falling for my Taurus), and $1625 (and falling for my Impala). Next purchase projects to have about a $2000 CPR as I will be paying about $25,000 after rebates and discounts off a $34,000 MSRP.

You're paying $4000 per year - AND you've got nothing to show for it after only two years! To me, that's a car cost that I just couldn't tolerate.

But everybody has their reasons for doing what they do. If you know what you're doing and you accept these kinds of costs (and you can afford them), that's fine. But you KNOW there are elderly (and other easily-manipulated) people out there getting reemed on these lease deals - and THAT's what bothers me the most about them. It's just another dealer racket for a lot of would-be buyers...
  • gforce11gforce11 Member Posts: 225
    I am wondering why you're even here if you are the "buy new and hold for 10+ years..." type of person....Anyway, leasing will ALWAYS cost you more in the long run than if you were to buy (if you don't have a means to write-off your lease) because you are switching cars every 3 years or so and you have to pay all the up front fees every few years plus the bulk of depreciation. But you also never fall out of warranty and you get to enjoy the latest improvements manufacturers have to offer. If you opt for cars with free maintenance, even better. There are some intangibles with leasing so I wouldn't be so quite to write it off. Besides, not everyone can or has the time to service their own vehicle, so those savings don't mean much to most people.
    Now lets clarify something of your misconceptions about leasing...you CAN buy the car at lease end, so this whole "you have nothing to show for after two years" dribble just doesn't cut it. Second, if you were to buy a car and sell it two years later, the same result will ensue. There isn't a very significant difference between the two approaches if you think about it. People tend to knock leasing when they don't understand it. They also tend to over-simply the entire concept by just calling it "renting". That couldn't be further from the truth.
    Lastly, there are some people out there that like to prey on the elderly. Leasing just happens to be the tool of choice for these people, but you can do so with standard financing too. Any time you negotiate monthly and down payments you run a risk of getting fleeced. Sales people do what they do to make money. Its not a charity, its a business. They will sell you what they can to make money because they got needs too. Some just have less moral issues about screw people, thats all. Like many things in life, leasing is just a tool. How you use it is what makes all the difference.
    If I am paying "$4,000 the first year" then you are paying $25,450 the first year. Who's smarter? You just out-debated yourself.
    I fell into this sub-forum while reading posts on the Traverse in the other sub-forums. I was just curious what people were paying every month on a Traverse lease, that's all.

Should've stayed away...
    I was referring to a overall "cost per year", not "cost the first year". It's an after-the-smoke-clears assessment. Yeah, I MAY be paying $25000 up-front, but when the smoke clears, my cost per year will be $2000 (or less). And my guess is that people who lease almost never buy the car they're leasing because the dealer is very good at rolling the buyer into another lease every time. So it's a $4000 cost per year - year in and year out. By my metrics, I'd have to be driving a $50,000 vehicle to justify that.
  • autoboy19autoboy19 Member Posts: 155
    Car_man,

I was wondering if you had the October lease rates and CCR for a 2011 Traverse LT1 and LTZ AWD for 24/27 months and 36/39 months with 15k miles per year.

Thanks
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Thanks msjhsap. Here's the information that you're looking for.

Ally's current base lease rate ad residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 2WD with 15,000 miles per year are 2.15% and 48%, respectively.

The numbers for the LT1 and LT2 FWD are exactly the same.

When negotiating your deal on this truck, make sure to take advantage of the $1,300 cash incentive that is available on leases of it through Ally.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Here's the information that you're looking for, autoboy19.

Ally's October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 AWD with 15,000 miles per year are 0.4% and 61%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are 2.15% and 50%.

This vehicle's 39 month numbers are 2.15% and 48%.

When negotiating your lease, make sure to take advantage of the lease cash that I mentioned in my previous post.

Car_man
    Host
  • thejman2008thejman2008 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Car Man,

Do you have Ally and US Bank lease rates for a 2011 Traverse LS (FWD/AWD) and 1LT (FWD/AWD) for 12,000 miles 36 and 39 months?

Also, is Ally's incentive still $1300 and does US Bank provide any incentives?
    Hi thejman2008. Ally's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse LS FWD with 12,000 miles per year are 2.15% and 52%, respectively.

The lease rate for the LS AWD is the same, but its residual value is 2% higher.

The lease rates for the 1LT FWD and AWD models are the same as well, but their 36 month residuals are 50 and 52%.

The lease rates for 39 month leases are the same also, but Ally's 39 month resids are 2% lower than its 36 month resids.

US Bank's current base lease rate for the '11 Traverse is 1.08%.

General Motors is currently providing a $1,300 cash incentive on leases of this truck through Ally and $1,000 on leases of it through US Bank.

Car_man
    Host
  • djalbedjalbe Member Posts: 3
    Hi Car Man,

Here's a twist on this Traverse lease. I'd like to do a business lease, with or without myself as the guarantor. Looking for 36/39mo, 15k/yr, on a 2011 (or 2010 if it still makes sense) LT1 AWD or LT2 AWD. Can you tell me what the program details are for such a buz lease and which bank is better suited for it ?

-J
    Hi djalbe. I don't think that there would be any difference in this vehicle's lease program for a business versus a personal lease.

General Motors is scheduled to introduce its new November programs some time later today. Please feel free to post a reminder for me in this discussion and I will gladly fill you in on the details of the new program when I have them.

Car_man
    Host
  • bobjunga1bobjunga1 Member Posts: 4
    I am considering a 2011 Traverse 2LT with typical options (Leather, Nav-Entertainment, Blue Tooth, and sunroof)

MSRP=$44,095
    MF=0.0004 (about 0.5%) woo hoo!
    Residual= 50% $22,048

The only question that remains is the price of the car. There is a $2500 cash allowance that seems to apply to leasing but I can not tell for sure. It says that you can not use in combination with 0%/60mo financing but does not specifically say anything about leasing.

One dealer has told me that there is a $1200 cash allowance that they can use toward a lease.

Another told me that there is a $1600 cash allowance that they can use toward a lease.

How do I find out definitively what the official chevy cash is on a lease?

Thanks,

--BobG
  • autoboy19autoboy19 Member Posts: 155
    Car_man,

Do you have the curnet lease rates for the Traverse LT1 and LTZ AWD for 24 and 27 months?
  • bonsaigregbonsaigreg Member Posts: 1
    Car_man,

Could you also please provide the lease rates for the Traverse LS AWD for 36 and/or 48 months, 12k miles per year?

Many thanks,

BonsaiGreg
    Hi BobG. In a way, both dealers were right. GM is currently providing a $1,200 cash incentive on leases of the Traverse through US Bank and $1,600 on leases of it through Ally.

The $2,000 customer cash incentive that is available on this truck is not available on leases.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey autoboy19. Ally's current base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 AWD with 15,000 miles per year are 0.15% and 60%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 27 month lease are 0.15% and 58%.

When negotiating your lease on this truck, make sure to take advantage of the $1,600 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of it through Ally.

The lease rates on the '11 Traverse LTZ AWD are exactly the same, but its residual values are 1% lower.

Car_man
    Host
    Here you go, BonsaiGreg. Ally's November base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse LS AWD with 12,000 miles per year are 2.0% and 56%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease are 3.4% and 48%.

There's a $1,600 cash incentive on leases of this truck through Ally.

Car_man
    Host
  • dollar_pounddollar_pound Member Posts: 46
    Hi..based on the incentive and purely from finance perspective does it make sense to lease or purchase this car....

Also can someone pls post the lease rates for the AWD SLT1/SLT2 ....for 12K miles....please..! thanks...
    Car MAN! can you pls help post the lease rates for Traverse 2011 AWD for LT1 and LT2 trims. i am looking to lease on in couple of days...thank you!
  • tagalongtagalong Member Posts: 1
    Carman - I also need lease rates for 2011 AWD LT1/LT2 - 15k/yr.
    Also - when you provide cash incentives for Ally or other financing - is that something the dealer should know or is it done outside the dealership?
    Hey dollar_pound. General Motors' lease program on the Traverse is fairly attractive right now. Then again, so is its financing offer of 0% fir five years plus a $1,500 cash incentive. If I was in the market for this model right now, I would be perfectly happy going with either of these programs.

They certainly are more attractive than paying cash or financing through an independent bank and going with the straight $2,000 consumer cash.

Ally's December base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse SLT1 AWD with 12,000 miles per year are 2.0% and 54%, respectively.

The lease rate for the SLT2 AWD is the same, but the residual value is 1% lower.

When negotiating your lease on this vehicle, make sure to take advantage of the $1,600 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of it through Ally. GM is waiving the first month's payment on leases as well.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi tagalong. The dealer is well aware of what the lease programs for this model are like. The F&I manager at the dealer usually puts together the details.

Please see my previous post for the information that you're looking for. Ally's 15,000 mile per year residual values are 2% lower than its 12,000 mile per year resids.

Car_man
    Host
    car man! thanks. You say"When negotiating your lease on this vehicle, make sure to take advantage of the $1,600 cash incentive"

Is this 1600 available in addition to the 1500 cash incentive on leases.

OR IS the 1500 only available on purchase.
  • marybethmcgmarybethmcg Member Posts: 6
    I am thinking about purchasing or leasing a 2011 chevy Traverse 2LT AWD or LTZ AWD.

I set out for my local dealership in NJ today and after much negotiation was offered a 39month lease with 15k mi per yr lease option for $450 per month. This required me to put down $2000 + they were giving me $3000 for my used 1999 Range Rover with 130,000 miles. MSRP on the 46,000. Does this sound like a good deal? They claimed they were giving me the car for $40,000 + I would receive a $1600 lease incentive from US Bank.

I pretty much am thinking I would prefer to lease as our family is rather hard on our cars and always seem to want to get rid of them after 3yrs. I also want to keep our payments around $450.

Appreciate your help.
    This seems like a good deal! Much better than ally, you can check ally rates directly on their website..does the 450 include taxes?
    i was quoted $534 inclusive taxes on lt1 after 1K down payment. with aftermarket navi, including taxes. MSRP is about 39825 and selling at 36892 for residual 52 and 2% lease rate...the finance guy at the dealer is very helpful. was wondering if this was a good deal or does purchase sound better at 0%.
  • smokeyfx4smokeyfx4 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    Hi Car Man

I'm thinking about leasing 2011 Traverse LTZ FWD with the following option

White Diamond Paint
    Nevi with back up camera
    Rear seat console
    Cargo net option

MSRP of $41865

Dealer is quoted me $650/month for 39 month lease with first month and security deposit...

I know this is not a good deal but what will be the best deal can I get on this vehicle? and what are the current Incentive and residual value for this particular vehicle. I'm in Houston, TX

Thanks
  • amj05amj05 Member Posts: 4
    CarMan:

I'm interested in leasing a 2011 Chevy Traverse AWD SLT2 (including rearview camera, which I think means I have to get navigation - not cool that they swindle you into that, but so it goes...). Can you please tell me the money factor and residual rate for the 2011 Chevy Traverse AWD SLT2 for January? I only need 12K miles per year. What other incentives should I be including in my lease calculation, if any? Also, if you know, what lease prices have others been able to get on this car, model and trim in the NY metro area.

I'm also interested in the GMC Acadia - not sure if it or the Traverse is the better car. Can you provide me with the same lease info I request above, but for the Acadia (with trim similar to the trim I want for the Traverse).

Many, many thanks. And Happy New Year!
  • asudvlasudvl Member Posts: 36
    CarMan,

Could you please post the current residual
    and money factor for a 36 or 39 month Traverse
    LT/1LT lease?

What are the current lease incentives
    on this vehicle?

Lastly, what would be a fair adjusted cap cost?

Thank you!
    No problem dollar_pound. GM's cash incentive on leases through Ally is now $1,300. The normal $2,000 consumer cash incentive that GM is providing on the 2011 Traverse is not compatible with its special lease program, only on purchases.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi smokeyfx4. It's difficult to tell exactly how good a deal this is without knowing what this car's selling price is in relation to either its MSRP or dealer invoice price. If I was in the market for a Traverse right now, I personally would shoot for a selling price of around $500 over invoice minus any available cash incentives. General Motors is currently providing a $1,300 cash incentive on leases of this car through Ally.

Ally's current base lease rate and residual value for a 39 month lease of a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ FWD with 15,000 miles per year are 2.0% and 49%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi amj05. Ally's January base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse SLT2 AWD with 12,000 miles per year are 2.0% and 53%, respectively.

As you can see, Ally publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400.

When negotiating your capitalized cost for this lease, make sure to take the $1,300 cash incentive that GM is currently providing on leases of this truck through Ally into account.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2011 GMC Acadia SLT2 AED are 2.45% and 51%. GM is providing a $2,000 cash incentive on leases of this truck through Ally.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings asudvl. Ally's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse 1LT AWD with 15,000 miles per year are 2.0% and 53%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are 2.0% and 51%.

General Motors is currently providing a $1,300 cash incentive on leases of this truck through Ally.

If I was in the market for a Traverse right now, I personally would shoot for a selling price of around $500 over invoice minus the aforementioned cash incentive.

Car_man
    Host
    LT1, Chevy Traverse, MSRP 37325. Selling Price:34392 + 816 (running boards etc)+629 smart protect=35841
    residual is 19409 after 39 months.
    rent charge is 1792
    12K miles a year, 39 months.
    Signoff amount 1850 (includes 1st month, gmac admin fee,doc fee etc)
    Total: 448 a month including taxes.

Car man, is this a good deal i got into...thanks!
  • gchristogchristo Member Posts: 6
    Hi CarMan – Can you please lend your expertise/advice in reaction to this dealer response to my sales inquiry? The vehicle is a 2011 AWD Traverse LTZ … THANKS A TON!

Dealer Response:

Yes, my offered price of $38,604 includes all dealer discounts and rebates. The MSRP is $42,150. The invoice of this particular vehicle is $40,603.8, of which I just rounded up to keep it simple and the $2000 rebate being offered for a purchase. I am more than happy to show the invoice to you if you wish it.

To do a lease through GM, you have a security deposit of $600, your first month's payment, and a $795 acquisition fee that is included in every lease. You also have a $150 license fee, $71.75 for registration, $12.12 permit, $299 doc fee, $5 tire recycling fee, and a $299 vehicle theft registration. All of these fees were included into what we did and we showed you that you had put a down payment to cover these fees. That may be where you are not making sense of the numbers. If I reverse this and took your down payment out and actually had you put a down payment of $2,037.83, then your payment would be $553.96.

Your residual is still $21,918, your lease rate is still 2%, your lease ending value is still based at 52%, and your term is still at 39 months. I did forget to mention that on a lease, there is only $1,300 in rebates that can be used for this lease. That might also make a difference in your figures as well.
  • tlb5tlb5 Member Posts: 44
    gchristo, what state are you in man? in CA you can look up on the DMV website what your fees will be. doc fee = profit and is legally limited to $55 in our state. what the hell is a vehicle theft registration?
  • amj05amj05 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, Car_man!
    Probably window etching of the VIN. It's a total rip off. Any dealer that included this in their quote would instantly lose my business. What's next, "tire inflation fee"???
  • gchristogchristo Member Posts: 6
    Hi Car Man - Have their been any changes to the base lease rate, residual value and factory/dealer incentives (for a 36 or 39 month lease of a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ AWD with 12,000 miles) for February?

Thank you.
    Hey dollar_pound. The Traverse that you're interested in probably has a spread of around $1,700 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. On top of that GM is providing a $1,300 cash incentive on leases of this truck through Ally. That gives you a total of around $3,000 to play with during your negotiations. That's pretty close to the discount that you were quoted. This looks like a good deal to me.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi gchristo. Dealer invoice minus any available cash incentives is an attractive selling price. The lease rate that you were quoted is right on the money as well.

The doc and theft registration fees are fluff, but this still isn't a bad deal. Of course, one can debate whether the Traverse is worth $550 per month, but for this vehicle this deal looks pretty good.

Car_man
    Host
  • rman850rrman850r Member Posts: 14
    Carman,

Do you have the current 24/27 month rate and residual with 15k miles per year for the Traverse 1LT AWD and LTZ AWD?

Thanks
  • webbcrawlerwebbcrawler Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2011
    Carman,

Do you have Feb lease numbers for 36 months 15 k miles for a LT2 FWD?

Thanks
    I sure do rman850r. Ally's current base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse 1LT AWD with 15,000 miles per year are 0.15% and 60%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The lease rate for an otherwise identical 27 month lease would be the same, but the residual values would be 2% lower.

The lease rates would also be the same for the LTZ AWD, but its residuals are 59% for 24 months and 57% for 27 months.

When negotiating your lease on this truck, make sure to take advantage of the $1,300 cash incentive that is currently available on leases of it through Ally.

Car_man
    Host
    I sure do webbcrawler. Ally's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 FWD with 15,000 miles per year are 2.0% ad 50%, respectively.

When negotiating your lease on this truck, make sure to take advantage of the $1,300 cash incentive that is available on leases of it through Ally.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.