Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    It's best to do your homework....My husband does not have time to wheel and deal nor the patience for the games,so, my word of advice is to study the product and it's options. Don't mix apples with oranges and keep your mind made up as to what package you want. READ the sticker as to what packages are on the vehicle. Don't make the mistake of buying before you know what you are actually looking for! If you want the x-reas susp, then price vehicles with that option. Don't misconstrue a V8 Sport with a V6 Limited. KNOW your product because you will be well educated for your impending purchase. Protect yourself from vulnerability of the game. I wanted my 2002 Limited so bad for so long that I had to practice patience and firmness when dealing (especially being female)...

Good luck...
  • rentschlrentschl Member Posts: 69
    Got an '03 V8 Limited and i REALLY like it. I do have 2 questions though:

2 separate topics here:

1. Rear wiper blade in winter conditions
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    I've done some winter driving here in the Colorado mountains. The rear wiper blade ices up really easy and becomes useless. Has anyone tried to find a "winter" style replacement blade?

When I ask for a winter blade everyone thinks I'm crazy to want a new blade for an '03 vehicle, but what's the point of even having a rear wiper if it's useless?

2. VSC (vehicle skid control)
    ---------------------------------------------
    Before owning the car, I assumed that VSC would increase you ability to maintain control on slick surfaces, especially while turning. Actually, it simply cuts engine power when it senses "too much" slipping. The "too much" is some amount that they decided on as there can be some slipping without VSC turning on. My conclusion after having VSC kick in in real winter driving situations is that the unpredictable behavior when VSC kicks in, is worse that the unpredictability of spinning a wheel. It's not that big a deal, since it only it kicks in when accelerating through turns at intersections (for my driving habits anyway), but it was annoying.

The way the '03 4Runners are set up, the VSC is ALWAYS on if the center differential is open. There's only one button that controls both features. I wish I could turn on the VSC but keep the center differential open. Sure you can always turn off the VSC but your center differential is closed then. That's fine when it's a winter storm and there's no dry pavement, but for varied conditions (some ice/snow and some dry pavement), I don't want to forget that I have the center differential locked off.

Does anyone know if another button could be added to be able to separately control the VSC from the center differential?

Thanks,
    Eric
  • dc661dc661 Member Posts: 71
    Not sure if this was posted already, but I just read that the 3rd row seating will be an option on the 2004 4Runner. The Lexus GX470 (sister to the 4runner) currently offers this option.
  • cinlincinlin Member Posts: 7
    First of all, I did not know about the caps/Yelling deal. i do not spend a lot of time on line, and my keyboard works.
    Second; thank you for your help-everyone. i found this site & all the information on negotiating very helpful. i am now convinced to buy my 4-runner v6 lmtd, on line...i do have a queston: is it true that at the end of february the sport will be available without the hood scoop?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thanks! :-)

tidester, host
  • ronstoyronstoy Member Posts: 55
    I think the Sport without the scoop is called the SR5....
  • fngfishfngfish Member Posts: 9
    I too hated dealing with the sales staff. I went through cars direct.com and you get the option of buying through them or being set up with a dealer. I went through the dealer and worked with the fleet dept. They were direct and gave me bottom line pricing. $500 over I will not buy another vehicle any other way again!!
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    The difference in diameter of the 265/65/17 is .1% larger than the 265/70/16. The speedometer error is 1/10 MPH between the 2.
    The circumference of the 17 inch is 96 in, of the 16 inch is 96.2 inches. So the 16 inch goes 659 revs per mile to the 17 inch 660 revs/mile. The only differeces other the rim size is sidewall size. The 16 inch has a sidewall of 7.3 inches, the 17 inch is 6.8 inches.
  • chris_in_boisechris_in_boise Member Posts: 18
    The speedometer is off by about 1 to 1-1/2 percent on my 2003 4Runner Sport with 17" tires.

A few days ago I was driving on the freeway with 66 mph showing on the speedometer, and my GPS said I was going 65 mph.

I think that's fairly typical for all cars.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I would guess that a 1/10 of a percent difference in speedometer error between the 16 and 17 inch tires is lost in other inaccuaracies. Speedometer error/ outside temperature and altitude affecting the air pressure will probably all be more significant than 1/10 of a percent.
      The tires being the same size explains why the ground clearance is the same for both 16 and 17 inch tires.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    On the 4WD models, the only reason the rev limiter would kick in is NOT due to the wheels slipping. It is because lateral skid has been detected. Your accelerating through a turn was about to throw you sideways through the intersection.

The answer to your question is no, there is no way to disable this feature without locking the center differential.
  • sween77sween77 Member Posts: 31
    The Toyota site shows the difference between the v6 and v8 as only 1 mpg. However I test drove some 4runners today and the window sticker shows the v8 (15,19) and has the v6 listed at (17,21)
    That's the 2WD. I think that 4WD is 2 MPG better in town and only 1 on the highway.
    In my 2002 Limited 4x4, does the VSC work both with 2wd and all-wheel (4wd) mode? I was wondering because the all-wheel drive mode uses more gas and on mornings when it appears to be icy (and I am not in 4wd), I was wondering if it works? I could run the veh in all-wheel drive all the time,but, don't feel the need because of our mild winters up here in the NW.
    On your 2002, the VSC works all the time, however in the 4WD mode that rev limiter is turned off in connection with the TRAC. It is still active with regard to lateral skids though.

BTW, have you checked your mileage to make sure it is worse in 4WD? Many people assume this but there are a few folks in the Sequoia topic who have different real world experience. Sometime when the weather is nice, try one tank of gas in 2WD and one in 4WD. Make sure you are doing the same kind of driving each time and under similar weather conditions. The Sequoia owners who have done this found the difference was less than 1 MPG.
    No, I have not checked and yes, I just assumed because when we do (from time to time) have snowy weather, the gas mileage goes down a bit. Now, keep in mind, I did check when I had my 99 SR5 and my mileage (with the other 4wd set-up) went from 19-20 down to about 17 when engaged in 4 wd drive for a tank of gas. I will be quite pleased if the gas consumption is pretty equal in the new model and will be more prone to utilizing the 4wd.

Thanks...
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    <BAD ADVICE/>
    You can pull the fuse out that controls the VSC, but I'm pretty sure that it controls ABS as well. So there you go, if the fuse box is in arms reach, clamp a little clamp on that fuse, and you now have a switch.
    </BAD ADVICE>

Hope that helps,
    Jared
  • actsmartactsmart Member Posts: 3
    Hello Everyone,
    I&#146;m looking at a 2002 4Runner
    9300 miles
    Color: Silver Millennium

With these options:
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof, 16" Aluminum Wheels, P265/70R16 tires, HD brakes, 4.10 axle ratio, Chrome Wheel Molding, Cargo mat, Towing Receiver Hitch, Rear Wind deflector, Roof Rack, Chrome Running Boards, Certified Used from Toyota Dealer.

Price: $23,200 before title & taxes

I'm in Southern California.

Is this a good deal?

Thanks for your help.
    1.While test driving today the Sales pro told me that he had never seen a Limited with XREAS and that it would take 2 months to get one with that option. Has anyone had an experience to the contrary?

2.Does the Gold warranty cover XREAS? I am sure that the Platinum will.

3.I am getting alot of different opinions on Sport model with Appearance pkg. I had a guy at 1-800-GOTOYOTA look into for me and he said it would be available in 1 month. However a Dealer today told me that it would not.
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    On the Limited, I believe it's regional. Some regoins get all the Limited's with X-REAS (like they do around here) and some regions seem to get none of them with it. You might have to special order one (probably 4 months, from what I've read in here) if they're not available in your region - check www.toyota.com and 'build your own' for the 4Runner with your zipcode to find out. You could also try and go to a dealership in a different region and bring the vehicle back if your timeframe doesn't allow for a special order.
  • sovangsovang Member Posts: 56
    Dan,

Does that mean Toyota will redesign the 4runner? The GX470 is quite a bit taller due to the third row seat.

sv
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    I can say that I have not heard anything about a 3rd row option on the 4Runner. If anything it is just the opposite information that I have received. However, I have had confirmed that the Highlander will have a 3rd seat coming out starting for the '04 model year. Unfortunately, it will eliminate the reclining 2nd row. And, again personal opinion, other than for double amputee's, 3rd row seats in a mid-sized SUV are pretty undesirable. Also like almost all other mid-sized SUV's, it will be something like a padded seat cushion on the floor with a backrest.

Hope this helps

Ken
    It Appears to me that the looks of the Sr5 will be very close to identical to the Limited once these App. Pkgs take effect. To my knowledge here are the exterior appearance options and standard equip that can not be gotten for the SR5.
    1.Rear spoiler
    2.Daytime running lights
    3. color keyed side mirrors
    4. 17 inch alloys
    5.luggage rack
    Can anyone add to or ammend this list? Thanks
  • rickwil61rickwil61 Member Posts: 23
    I purchased a 2003 SR5 V6 a couple of nights ago. The color is stratosphere mica, and the only options on it are the roof rack, fog lights, and 17" wheels. Given how many features come standard on this thing I wouldn't call it a "plain jane." The only other option I would have really liked to have had was the JBL w/ 6 disk changer. But there just wasn't any around that had this stereo that didn't have a sunroof. The sunroof cuts the headroom closer than I like. I could have gotten one but I think the close space would have been an annoyance after a while. I considered doing a special order but decided I would just upgrade with an aftermarket stereo. That way I can get one that will play MP3s. Has anybody in Runnerland done this with their 2003 yet? Any suggestions on a good unit to put in?

I got a great price, approx $500 under invoice and also got $11,050 trade in value for my CRV (53.2K miles). Overall I'm happy with the deal I got and the vehicle I got.

I did notice one thing though. As I was driving home I took the long way :-) and after spending some time in it, it seemed that the ride wasn't as smooth as the other SR5s I had test driven. I got to thinking back and I believe the others I had driven had 16" wheels rather than the 17"s. Does anybody think this is the difference in the ride? I don't think there is anything mechanically wrong. I'm just trying to determine if the wheels made that much of a difference or if this is some kind of post-purchase psychological phenomena.

BTW if anybody in the Denver area wants the same price I got they should go to John Elway Toyota. I know they had one and possibly more, equipped as mine is for $27,686. (no haggle price)

Thanks,

Rick
    I want to clarify something on my previous post. The $27,686 price that I got is actually a limited time special. It's some kind of ad campaign they have going right now. So while Elway is a no-haggle dealership, and the price I got was offered to me without haggling, that is not the normal no-haggle price of this vehicle.

Rick
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Either way, congrats on the new SUV, Rick!

btw, before you lose sleep about the ride, check the tire pressures. Sometimes (often) the dealers forget to adjust them as they prep the new cars.

Steve, Host
  • rentschlrentschl Member Posts: 69
    When I got my V8 Limited through carsdirect.com, I actually got it at John Elway in Denver. I was able to get it SUBSTANTIALLY below their "low, no haggle" pricing.

It was a pretty painless experience and I get everything I wanted except the navigation system. For some reason they're getting an exhorbitant amount more for units with navigation, so I just took the 6 disk changer instead.
  • fishingguyfishingguy Member Posts: 34
    Quick pricing question: is there an easy way to determine the exact invoice price of a vehicle without asking the dealer? Rickwil61, I am going to be purchasing a 4runner in the next few weeks (the appearance pkg options are just showing up) and am strongly considering an aftermarket stereo mostly because I would like XM satellite radio. After a bit of research my biggest concerns are the looks of the stereo (size and non-matching LED colors), having me or anyone else tear apart the dash and the placement of the satellite antennae (specific to my needs). I would love to hear from someone who has any words of wisdom on tearing out a factory stereo and updgrading with an aftermarket box.
    We have invoice pricing under the New Cars link. And there's a "Price With Options" button on the pricing page when you get to the model you are interested in so you can spec out those costs as well.

Steve, Host
  • fishingguyfishingguy Member Posts: 34
    Steve - that gets close enough I guess but I noticed you don't have all options such as dealer / port installed leather seats and this new appearance option. These are options on the Toyota site. Anyway your pricing resource gets me close enough and then I just apply the same discount to the additional options. No biggie. I tend to be too precise anyway. Edmunds is a great site.
    Yeah, I think we have a disclaimer somewhere about PIO (port installed options) or similar too.

Then there's those two big Toyota distributors who like to load up every rig with a bunch of high profit stuff. Ah well, you're well armed with info - enjoy shopping!

Steve, Host
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    You would have a slightly firmer ride with the 17" rims. There is less rubber between the outer edge of the rim and the outer edge of the tire. Less rubber for cushion and tire flex.

The trade off is they will handle better on the street .
    Edmunds does have the invoice of the vehicle but it doesn't include the advertising charge, I believe it's called TDA and is around $600. This charge is on the factory invoice and is non-negotiable.

I would recommend something that was recommended to me on this board, and that is to price one out at carsdirect.com. Their price was really competitive and I started to contact them but I balked at the point that it asked for my credit card number. It said a credit card number was needed to secure the price but they would not charge anything to it without authorization. But you can get the vehicle price before it asks for the credit card. Maybe you can ask rentschl about the details of the experience of buying from these guys, if you're interested in buying through them.

Anyhow the carsdirect price might be a good bargaining chip and you might decide to go ahead and buy through them if local dealers won't work with you. Good luck.
    Steve, I did check the tire pressure when I got home that night and it was over inflated. I dropped the pressure down to 30lbs and it helped a little bit but it still seemed kind of jiggly over the small bumps. I guess it'll take some getting used to.

One of the concerns that I had before I bought the V6 was if the cylinders are steel sleeved. I called 1-800-GO-TOYOTA and asked them and they told me that it IS steel sleeved. That was good to know because I didn't want to end up with a throw away engine (ala the '73 Vega).
    The X-REAS is a regional thing. We get quite a few Limiteds here in VA with it.

As to the Gold level warranty, I don't know if it covers the X-REAS, but I really don't recommend that warranty anyway. The Platinum isn't too much more money and it does cover the CD, the moonroof, ignition coils and a bunch of other items. Stick with the Platinum plan.
  • iceman50iceman50 Member Posts: 20
    I just bought my 4Runner last week. Is there any advantage of getting the Platinum coverage now as opposed to waiting until the warranty is almost up?
    The only advantage is that you can usually get a better price now. At the end of the warranty, dealers know you have more limited options and will normally charge more. I don't but most do.
  • barbarian71barbarian71 Member Posts: 11
    Hi everyone,

Just FYI, here was my 4runner deal-

I bought a black w/oak int V8 LTD last week.

Options were Moonroof, JBL w/6-disc in dash, airbags, running lights, spoiler and floormats/cargo net.

MSRP- 39.9k...I paid 35550 before tax and liscence. Purchased at Rudy Luther Toyota, Golden Valley Minnesota, and had a wonderful dealship experience through the internet sales manager. World of difference between Honda and Toyota in my experience. Toyota has respect for the educated buyer, and I think I got a fair deal. Couldn't be happier with the new 4runner, drives beautifully.

Regards,
  • olrockerolrocker Member Posts: 16
    My 2003 LTD V8 4x4 w/X-REAS has about 5300 miles on it. Here are the issues (I've owned a '92 & a '96, never had any problems with them worth mentioning.)
    1) Rattle in moonroof: My local dealer said they got a 6 page service bulletin about this. They worked on it when I took it in for its oil change and that fixed it...for about 5 miles. Rattles worse than ever now.
    2) Occasionally the engine will take much longer than normal to fire after turning the key (normal being less than 2 seconds, abnormal being 6-9 seconds and sounding like it's starved for fuel or something.)
    3) Squeak from front end when going over speed bumps & the like (mentioned in another thread.)
    4) CD changer is MIGHTY picky about discs it doesn't like and hangs rather than just spitting them back out. Usually takes until the next day before it will eject.
    I love the way it drives but these things seem pretty un-Toyota-ish if you ask me.
    My Tundra does the same thing on occasion when I start it. This year, the Tundra got the same starting feature as the Runner where you just turn the key for a second and it takes over and cranks until it starts. I have noticed that if my finger slips off the key too soon, it will take several extra seconds. It is like it didn't get enough input from me to decide what to do. A firm turn of the key and deliberate release seems to be the key to preventing this.

Oh, and the 6 disc CD is notorious for being finicky. Get it taken care of while you are still under warranty.
  • sstaticsstatic Member Posts: 10
    Barbarian, olrocker and Cliffy1...thanks for the info. These are the problems I was curious about.

I want a sunroof so bad, but seems like everyone is having a problem with it. Is it the actual sunroof making noise (glass) or the baffle (I'm assuming the plastic wind gaurd) that is when opening/closing it?

Cliffy1...I noticed you say you don't charge more for the warranty at a later time. Are you a manager/salesman for Toyota? Just curious. Thanks again!

Jason
    If you click on my name, my profile will come up and you will note that I am a F&I manager at a dealership. I have been in sales and management as well. I've been with Toyota for exactly 9 years as of today.

Hey, today is an anniversary! I started on 2/15/94.
    Thanks again Cliffy! Didn't know you could do that. :o) (No wonder why you know so much about Toyota's...lol)
  • magic35magic35 Member Posts: 1
    I had a couple of questions about he 2003 4runers. I am beginning to seriously shop for one and I cant decide on an engine. The v6 aluminum is nice and obviously has great technology. As well as most my driving is 2wd only. However, the v8 is proven and also very nice, but is AWD. What want to know is what engine will be most reliable and trouble free, and will last the longest. Any info would help.
  • olrockerolrocker Member Posts: 16
    Cliffy--Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to make sure I don't release the key too soon and see what happens. Regarding the CD changer, if I have them replace it, won't it still be an issue if the replacement unit has the same problem (i.e., if it's endemic to all the CD changers?)
    sstatic--the rattle in the moonroof sounds like a loose piece of hardware, like a hex nut came adrift or something. It sounds like it's coming from the headliner just above the right side of the passenger seat. I had moonroofs in both of my other Runners, and it's not like Toyota is new at putting them in their vehicles. Go figure...
    magic35--You can get a 2WD V8 if you want. Drive them both...the V8 sure feels nice!
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    The V8 is proven already. The V6 is too new to know about it's reliability. However, Toyota makes great engines that are very reliable. If you tow, plan to superharge it, or off-road, i would definitely get the V8. Otherwise, i am sure the V6 will be great.
  • nhopper1nhopper1 Member Posts: 21
    To any of you in the V-6 vs. V-8 comparison as it relates to reliability and/or expense after warranty expiration; do realize that the automatic transmission is MUCH more likely to cause problems and great expense as the years go on than the engine may. A 5 speed trans can cost $5,000 and up to replace and it would not be a shock to have it fail by 100K miles. This happens a lot with many manufacturers' automatics these days.( I'm in the car repair biz)

The V-8 uses the new 5 speed trans. The V-6 uses the reliable 4 speed trans that has been around awhile and therefore gets my vote, all other things being equal.(also consider the extra constant mechanical wear, and mileage penalty, that occurs with the V-8 full-time 4WD as opposed the ability to select 2WD with the V-6.)

I realize that there are other considerations in the overall decision, but my response only addresses the apparent concern for mechanical reliability.

Regards -- Neil
    I am not a mechanic. However my guess would be that the Aluminum block V6 would also be a concern. This new block made of Aluminum is new for Toyota. Furthermore other companys have tried Aluminum and failed.
    So take your pick a new trany or new block. Either way the Platinum warranty is loking good to me.
    Thanks for the explanation, olrocker! :o)
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    I feel that I'm fairly experienced in aftermarket stereo's, so I'll try to be of some help. I have redone two cars from top to bottom, my last being my '95 chevy blazer which now has roughly $3000 in audio equipment (I paid much less for it though).
    All your concerns about someone "ripping" apart your dash and factory unit to install an aftermarket unit are valid concerns. Here's my take on things. First off, don't for any reason go to Best Buy or Circuit City to buy or install a stereo. They are the McDonalds of car audio, don't let them touch your $30k vehical. (To those here that might work for either of those fine establishments... yes, i'm sure there are SOME good installers who work there, but they are the exception and not the rule).
    Find a good shop, one that does custom installs (not that you have to do something really custom, but the fact that they CAN says something about them). Preferably a shop that can do custom fiberglass molding and door panel molding. Also look for the brands they sell (this will separate the mcdonalds shops from the higher end shops), for instance if JBL, Kenwood (not excelon), sony are their popular brands, they are most likely a mass market, low-end shop. On the other hand, if their head units are alpine, kenwood excelon, eclipse (i love eclipse head units), clarion (though they have been slipping lately), etc. and their speaker selection includes MB Quart (best aftermarket component speaker out there), JL Audio (best subs out there), Eclipse, and Alpine then they are most likely a high-end shop. That kind of shop (even for simple installs) are the ones you want to shoot for. The installation tends to cost more, but it is worth it when your car is getting taken apart. Stay away from the $1 installs that places like the good guys offer, because they have to pay their installers something, and they are just going to rip you off in the price of the system. The biggest thing though, go to the shop! Look at what they are installing, see if anyone is getting something intalled and look to see if it looks like crap! For something like the 4runner, a new headunit will change the look of the dash a bit, but if you pay extra, instead of using a default mounting kit, they can put forth the extra effort to make it look nice and smooth. Also, you don't have to lose the functionality of stereo controls on your steering wheel, most good shops can hook those up as well, not to mention the dimming/brightening of the backlits when you turn on/off your lights. Ask around your area, good shops stay busy, the place I call home for stereo equipment, California Soundworks in Lancaster, Ca. is in a city of only like 50k people, but it takes like a month to get a 30 minute installation appt. And frequently I've seen 100k boats and cars getting all dressed up there, and I garauntee they are not locals! All my experiences with aftermarket equipment have been great and mostly because I did what all you guys did with your new 4runners, shopped around.

Hope that helped,
    Jared