Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Could a Mercedes Benz C, E or S class (non diesel) go over a Million Miles?

stephenabelsonstephenabelson Member Posts: 23
edited April 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
Any thoughts on whether or not a Mercedes Benz C, E or S Class (not diesel engines) could drive over one million miles on the original engine with proper maintence maintained throughout the cars life, garaged and treated well?

Has anyone seen a Lexus with one million miles? Everyone always talks about how reliable and long living the Japan cars are, like Lexus, Toyota & Honda but I personally have not seen any with a million miles. I have seen a Mercedes Benz with over a million miles on the original engine, also a VW and the guy with the record for having the most miles on a car is a guy driving a Volvo from the 1960's.

Comments

• ck90211ck90211 Member Posts: 159
    There are lots of gasoline Corollas and Coronas (worldwide) with over 1 million miles, mainly in Southeast Asia and Africa. What's more exceptional is their gas quality is often bad, with impurities that would make a German car (or any high compression engines) cavitate, and have awful road conditions. There are also a lot of Land Cruiser (old FJ's) worldwide over 1 million miles but I think they probably got Diesel in them.

I had a late model C and E before, and while the inline 6 engines are very robust, and should go 400-500K miles without a rebuild, many other things will go out costing a lot more (transmission, electricals, relays, AC, etc.). There are simply too many electronics, sensors and solenoids in the late models, for them to be maintained/repaired cheaply by an independent shop. And dealerships will break you because they just love non-warranty services.

So I don't think you will see that many million mile MB's because it is no longer economically feasible to do so.
  • csadecsade Member Posts: 6
    It's conceivable that an engine that is properly maintained could go for 1 million miles. Same as anyone living to 100 years old.
This discussion has been closed.