Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V 30,000 Service Prices?

dragonfly47dragonfly47 Member Posts: 26
edited July 2014 in Honda
My '06 FWD CRV is due a 30,000 mile service. Edmunds estimates $107.11 for my zip code. I called four local dealers and got the following quotes:

$224.79 (basic plus brake service)
$285.00
$389.00 (dealer I bought the vehicle from)
$472.30

The last two said a transmission flush was part of the 30K service, but it doesn't show on the Edmunds list.

What are others paying for this? Seems like a BIG discrepancy here.

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Seems like a BIG discrepancy here.

Seems like someone needs to read the OWNER's MANUAL to see what exactly is needed. Then tell the dealer what they want done to the vehicle, rather than the other way around.

It probably won't hurt to change the ATF fluid at 30,000 miles, but go by what the OWNER's MANUAL says to be most economical and safe.
  • dragonfly47dragonfly47 Member Posts: 26
    The vehicle's out of town with another family member at the moment, and so is the OWNER's MANUAL. But thanks for your help.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    The vehicle's out of town with another family member at the moment, and so is the OWNER's MANUAL. But thanks for your help.

You are welcome.

If you register your vehicle with Honda Owner's link, from www.honda.com then you can look up the owner's manual from anywhere, anytime. :)
    Best price I found was at Gwinnett Place Honda, which will do just what's on the 30,000 mile checklist for $174.93. This is still quite a bit more than the Edmunds Maintenance Guide estimated price of $109.11 (before tax), but whatcha gonna do? I asked them to break down the parts and labor: Edmunds has parts at $57.60 - GPH has parts at $72.82; Edmunds has labor at $51.51 - GPH's labor cost is $91.90 - the rest is tax plus oil recycle fee.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    but whatcha gonna do?

You could ask around for a good indie mechanic. 9 times out of 10 they'll be cheaper than the dealer I bet. You could also ask if you can furnish your own parts; some places mark parts up a lot even after buying them at jobber rates.

On the other hand, you may lose out on a secret warranty down the road if you have no relationship with your dealer during the warranty period.

Get ratings & reviews on car dealers & repair shops in your neighborhood.
    Yeah, I figure I may need that "secret warranty" when my A/C compressor goes [non-permissible content removed]-up. Otherwise, I'd do it myself.
  • elginappleselginapples Member Posts: 2
    I took my '05 CR-V to the nearest Honda dealer for the 30K service in mid-October '08. I use JiffyLube every 5,000 miles, so save some $s that way. The charges were as follows:

routine 30K service - $292.85 (some sort of 'special' coupon pricing)
    replace rear diff fluid - $90
    EFI throttle body service - $149.95 (not sure is this was 'needed' at this time, but service guy strongly recommended it)

Although these charges were certainly higher than a good local mechanic or the nearby Goodyear tire/service center, I felt that I would invalidate my extended warranty if I did not take my CR-V to a Honda dealer about once in 12-18 months.
    What torqued me off more than anything was that three servicing dealers (including the dealer I bought the vehicle from) insisted that 30K was a MAJOR service, thus justifying their out-of-sight pricing. Well, the book calls for 1) replacing engine oil 2) rotating tires 3) replacing dust/pollen filters 4) replacing air cleaner element and 5) resetting maintenance required indicator. That's not a "major" service on my planet.

Here's the parts breakdown on the service order from Gwinnett Place Honda:

Cabin Air Filter - 2 @ 12.19 ea = $24.38 (Edmunds estimated $26.00; Bernardi price $15.64).

Air Cleaner Element - $28.49 (Edmunds est. $20.60; Bernardi price $18.16)

Oil Filter, Washer, Oil 5 QT - $19.95 (Edmunds est $11.00)

So I can't [non-permissible content removed] too terribly much about parts.

Labor, however was almost double the Edmunds estimate. I suppose Edmunds uses non- Honda service prices to get their average by zip, so OK, I can live with that.

elginapples -
    "routine 30K service - $292.85 (some sort of 'special' coupon pricing)"

The 30K service on a 2005 CR-V involves more inspections than for my '06. (Edmunds' estimate is about 40% higher - $144.57). So you can do the math and figure if you got a reasonable deal.
  • tibatiba Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone knows how much I would pay to refurbish/rebuilt the engine heads from a 1999 passat 1.8Turbo 20v?
    Thanks!
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Why are you asking that here? Look at the title of the thread!! You don't even have the right make..... :confuse:

Hint: why not post in the VW section?..... ;)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Try the Volkswagen Passat Engine Issues discussion.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
This discussion has been closed.