Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Power Windows

tansinitansini Member Posts: 1
edited February 2014 in Ford
on occasion my rear pwr windows won't open, then the next day they seem to work fine, it can happen to either side?

Comments

• mike6221mike6221 Member Posts: 1
    All four of my electric windows have failed to operate. I can't find the fuse or circuit breaker which would control the windows.

Where can I find the items to check if they are in proper working condition?
  • twincolumnstwincolumns Member Posts: 2
    My electric windows do not work with any consistency if operated from the three passenger windows. But they all seem to respond to the drivers switch with no problem.

If anyone has a suggestion to remedy this problem please let me know.
  • thevdudethevdude Member Posts: 2
    Check the window lock switch.
  • thevdudethevdude Member Posts: 2
    The fuse is in the power distrubution box under the hood, as is the circuit breaker. Refer to the manual just after the fuses section for more information.
  • bluedragon1949bluedragon1949 Member Posts: 1
    Someone tried to break into my 98 explorer and messed up my drivers side and the passanger door locks. Now my drivers side will not unlock. Any ideas on how to fix it or what it would cost to repair.
  • lynchsmomlynchsmom Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 explorer and my drivers side window will not go back up. All the other windows go up and down. Any suggestions?
  • scanman1scanman1 Member Posts: 11
    If your window motor is making some noise when you push the button then you have a bad window regulator, If no noise is heard possible bad motor, switch or wiring problem. wouldn't be fuse cause others are operational.
  • robleyterobleyte Member Posts: 1
    passenger window will not go up sometimes and will the next day. All other windows are functioning properly. any suggestions? removed door panel and all wiring seems to be in tact. Hear a click noise when i press down on switch. Is it possible one part of the fuse is gone . would appreciate any info, sick of getting boned at garage. thanx
  • rdichrisrdichris Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2011
    I have a 2000 - had the same problem. It was not a fuse or circuit breaker. The problem is a broken wire under the rubber turret boot at the driver's side door hinge. The +12v wire broke ( blue with black strip) about 2.5" from the top. There were also other broken wires in the bundle - one control the dome light when the door is opened.

They is a fairly large bundle of wire at the hinge. I had to pick through them with a crochet hook.

I then pulled off the interior panel on the inside wall ( by parking brake petal) to find the other end of the wire. I need to splice a short piece to both ends.

The rubber boot ( at hinge) is pretty touch to get back on - need to be patient and hope for the best .

Good Luck

Ron
    Here is a web link with pictures of broken wires in the driver's door hinge

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=255318
  • jamartuckerjamartucker Member Posts: 1
    i have a ford explorer and my windows are not getting no power they work everynow and then dont know if its the motor or the regulator
    I had a similar problem. (2000 explorer) It was broken wires at the drivers side door hinge.
    I was actuality able to squeeze the black rubber boot to get the windows to work.

Here is a web link with pictures of broken wires in the driver's door hinge.
    These are not my pictures but it was the exact problem!

Ron
  • ridernlridernl Member Posts: 6
    need some help please....05 explorer....power windows just died. no sound coming from door. not the fuse (audio on same fuse and works fine)....regulator tests good...tried new switch still nothing.....even got new battery.....gotta be wiring, right?
    I had a similar problem. (2000 explorer) It was broken wires at the drivers side door hinge.
    I was actuality able to squeeze the black rubber boot to get the windows to work.

Here is a web link with pictures of broken wires in the driver's door hinge.
    These are not my pictures but it was the exact problem!

Ron
  • fosterslagerfosterslager Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    2003 Ford Explorer passenger front window will not close.
    The window went down and will not go up.
    Door locks on passenger side work.
    When window button is pressed to open, light on button goes out.
    All other windows and power work.
    Recently, I have had to have engine on to open/close window
    I just want the window up,I can live with not opening window.
    Any suggestions? Thank you
  • pdellpdell Member Posts: 2
    For the past 2+ years we have been fighting a driver's window issue. It goes down and the window seems to come off track, gets tilted and then gets stuck. We took it to a mechanic and he "re-glued" it. It worked about twice and did the same thing. He tried a stronger glue and it worked for a week or so. This went on for awhile. The last time (December 2011) he actually went and replaced the "window" with another one (not sure all of what was replaced). We drove around without using the window for the winter to be sure the glue set (no drive thru bank, fast food, toll booths, etc.) and this spring it seemed to work okay and we were excited. Last week it went off track again! The mechanic is at a loss for what to do.

We are also having problems with the driver's side lock - it will no longer respond to the remote. I have to reach in from the back seat and open the door.

What is going on? Are these 2 problems connected? Anyone else having these same two issues? Any ideas on what to try next?
  • oldforddriveroldforddriver Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Explorer and I have the exact same problem and don't have the money to have repairs done. Did you find a way to at least just get the window in the up position? I have rain coming.
  • paulinpaulin Member Posts: 1
    the wire going up into the harness then to the door is my problem. I took the boot off and found the wire but cant get to the short. It appears there is a bolt on top of the harness. Will this come off? Should I try taking the door panel off?
  • danderson330danderson330 Member Posts: 1
    I thought to myself, How odd of a remedy is that? I'll be damned if it didn't happen to me and what did I do? squeezed the boot and pushed the window up and away it went!! thx buddy! :)
  • kurtveebeekurtveebee Member Posts: 2

@lynchsmom said:
    I have a 2005 explorer and my drivers side window will not go back up. All the other windows go up and down. Any suggestions?

• kurtveebeekurtveebee Member Posts: 2

Yeap, Definitely a broken wire within the rubber boot @ the driver side door. My 2003 Explorer had a brown wire w/ a blue stripe that was broken.