Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Touring 2009 -

Comments

• edtrededtred Member Posts: 2
    I called antewpen, and they quoted a base price of $14,404 BUT this including military and college grad rebates! Did you use these rebates?
  • glitch1glitch1 Member Posts: 26
    An internet representative told me that the Elantra Touring should have oil changes done every 3750 miles and that if you don't follow that schedule, it may void the warranty.

Can anyone confirm that? I thought that was a bit more often than necessary. Many cars these days only need it every 5K or 8K miles.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    My Hyundai dealer told me to come back every 5k miles, and actually put the sticker on for 5k miles hence.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Look in the books that came with your car...it'll tell you what the recommendations are for your driving type...or stop over at the service department and they will tell you what your model calls for.

The Sandman :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    RTFM. If you haven't bought the car yet, ask to see the manuals. Have the oil changed as often as Hyundai (the company, not the dealer) documents in the manual. Take their guidance on whether or not you fall into the "severe" service schedule.

Also, you do not have to have oil changes and other service performed at the dealer to maintain warranty. Any shop can do it or you can do the work yourself. Just keep relevant records and receipts.

For the other scheduled service, feel free to only do what Hyundai says v. what the dealer or other shop recommends. Many of the recommendations, while not harmful, don't do much besides add to dealer profit.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, glitch1 can read the requirements right here: Maintenance Schedules, Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins.

Hope it helps! :)
    Cool. I didn't know that was on Edmunds. Bookmarked .. :D
  • glitch1glitch1 Member Posts: 26
    Weird, I do not know where she got the 3750 miles number from then. According to Edmunds, it seems like it is recommended every 7500 miles. I will have to ask to see a manual next time I go to the dealership.

Thank you for the responses.
    OOh, that is handy. Wish I could download it into my calendar, but I drive 25k miles a year anyway, so that wouldn't help.
    3750 is in the dealer manual under "Recommended cycle for mechanics who want to soak their customers for labor costs" right next to charging an hour labor to pour one of those little fuel-additive bottles into the gas tank (That's called "Fuel Systems optimization and treatment, by the way, hah!).
  • fflintstone2fflintstone2 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a Touring last night from Flemington NJ. Took advantage of the C4C rebate and traded in my 95 Chevy Pickup with 267k on it for the Touring. Got the base model, black on black, automatic for $12.5 with the trade and all rebates. The car had a sticker of $19,980. I drove the SE first and didn't think it had the pep or handling that the Touring has. I pushed the speeds on the highway this AM and it handled well for the quick burst above the speed limit. Its definitely going to take some getting used to this little car compared to my big old truck, but I'm happy so far.
    I agree, the SE did seem a bit slower, though I really didn't notice a huge difference in the suspension or steering: ride and handling seemed maybe a tiny bit better in the Touring, but I attributed that to the longer wheelbase more than anything else. If anything, I'd expect a difference between GLS and SE/Touring, since the SE is supposed to have more "sporty" tuning (and it's also got 16 inch alloys).

It does do nice on the highway, but you do have to mash it to get a passing burst. Cruises great at 65-70 though. Can even cruise at 75, but I don't like cruising above 3000 RPMs, and 70 seems to take it right below 3k.

I'm wondering what the most fuel efficient RPM is on the engine/automatic combo...might be hard to nail down since the valve timing is continuously variable.

I'm coming from a Mazda3 hatch, so I'm having an easier time adjusting. But that's a 2.3L so the Touring has less power than I'm used to also (seems to have more low end torque than the Mazda mill though..the 04 2.3L had to be revved a bit to wake up).

Oh, and the Elantra Touring is SOOO much bigger inside than the Mazda3 hatch. Not just the cargo space either: the back seat may as well be out of a Crown Vic by comparison, even with the front seats adjusted for a long-legged 6 footer like me. The front is a lot roomier too..you loose a bit of the cockpit feel you get from a Mazda3 but everything still falls to the fingers easily.

I almost miss my sunroof but I hardly ever used it, and I'm really too tall to trade the headroom away: rather elevate the front seat and get some thigh support. Only got the roof on the Mazda because that was the first option they put on the things, and I wanted ABS (which was the second option, heh).
  • fflintstone2fflintstone2 Member Posts: 2
    I was going to go for the sunroof also, but didn't think I'd really use it enough to justify the $1500 package. My kids got in the back seat and were thrilled with the space. They are used to my old extended cab pickup, so this is like a hotel room for them. I've been searching for an aftermarket in dash nav system already, and doesn't appear to be a drop in unit yet.

I was going to go look at the Mazda 3 after the Hyundai last night, but never got there..
    Not sure there will be a drop-in unit given the way the factory stereo integrates with the dash panel. Possible, but I had a mountable unit anyway, so I just use that (still wish for a bigger screen though).

The new Mazda3 redesign is ugly looking, IMHO. And not a lot of space inside still. Yet somehow the thing is longer than the Touring. I can understand never getting there. Hyundai's going to steal a bunch of potential buyers from them.
  • brokejumper1brokejumper1 Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased a 2009 Touring in Seattle:

$17114 manual with Sport Package,Bluetooth, Ipod cable, and mats added in.

Not the best price in the world but manuals with the Sport package were incredibly hard to find and so we went ahead with the deal.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    More likely, the 3750 mile oil change interval is for cars in "severe service", the details of which are specified in the owner's manual. As for me, I change oil at that interval on my Elantra for two reasons: 1) I only drive that car about 7500 miles a year, and I don't want to leave dino oil in the car that long, and 2) I get free oil changes at my Hyundai dealer every 3750 miles. :)
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Also drive about 7250 miles per year but do the changes about every 4800 miles because I feel one change per year is a bit much with dino oil. I'd definitely do it once a year with synthetic no matter what my oil minder says. Just haven't done the switch yet. A guy in the warehouse area where my installation is will do the synthetic change with new filter for $44.00 so I will probably do the switch and just have him adjust the mileage minder as needed. Have heard that one can go back to dino if not happy but we'll see what happens when the time comes. Still have about 2k miles to decide but am leaning towards the switch.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• justloujustlou Member Posts: 35
    You only need to change the oil every 7,500 miles to for warranty purposes. I always change my oil every 3,000-3,500 miles anyway. On my cars that use Synthetic, I change it every 5K.
  • guargguarg Member Posts: 12
    I have an 09 Touring and on occasion when i get out of the car the driver door locks automatically without me locking the car, also on occasion all 4 door lock, One time it happened when I put the car in the garage and put my key in he cup holder. Fortunatly I had another set at home and was able to open the doors, Has this happened to any one else?? I took it back to the dealer and as usual it did not happen.
    This happens to me all the time with my '04 Elantra. The lock button on the key fob is pretty sensitive, so it doesn't take much pressure to accidentally lock the doors. It's possible the key fob on the Touring is sensitive like that. But I don't understand why sometimes only the driver's door locks and sometimes all four lock. So that could indicate a problem with the power locks.
  • pauleyhpauleyh Member Posts: 2
    Press one time on key fob to lock the driver door( or unlock it); while press two times to lock or unlock ALL 4 doors.
    OK, that is different from the two Elantras I've owned. On those, one press of the lock button locks all doors; one press of the unlock button unlocks the driver's door, and two presses unlocks all doors. I understand the unlocking action, but I don't see the value of requiring two presses to lock all doors. :confuse:
  • pauleyhpauleyh Member Posts: 2
    I like the look of roof rack on i30CW and wonder if anyone has ordered from Hyundai as parts for Elantra Touring? Thanks.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    I wonder as well. Anyone?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't have a link, but a roof rack is going to be an available option on the 2010s (didn't I read that the 2010s are already available in Canada?).

My guess is that you'll be able to retrofit a rack on '09 and earlier Tourings once they arrive in the States.

You'd save some freight if you search for Canadian parts first instead of shipping one over from the EU.

Steve, visiting host
    Thanks, Steve.

Does this mean that you're shopping for a HET as well?
    Yes, but it's in second place in the running (this week anyway, lol) to a Toyota Prius. That 50 mpg makes up for a lot of other shortcomings that we'd enjoy in the Elantra Touring, like heated seats, available sunroof, USB stick, not to mention the manual transmission that we'd both enjoy. The xD is still in our top 3 too.

If the Touring got 28 combined instead of 26, we'd be eligible for the full $4,500 voucher and while that's not a huge amount of money, it's a bit of a psychological barrier (note that we're not so concerned about the $5k + price difference between the Prius and the Touring - go figure!). The maintenance requirements are a tad stiffer that I'd like too (the 60k timing belt, etc.).

My wife has been driving a minivan for 20 years now and she's ready for something "cuter." The Touring is a great effort, but it's still a wagon, and we already have a wagon in the garage.

Maybe when the 2010's arrive we'll take another hard look.

Steve, visiting host
    It's a hatchback. Wagons stretch further back from the rear wheels. :shades:
    You're grinning, but you really do have a good point. The Touring treats the rear end nicely to avoid the wagon look as much as possible. I should tell the salesperson that I need to drive one home and park it next to my boxy Outback. Maybe that would convince my wife. :)

If the dealer had had a tamer color in stock the day we drove, we might have gone for it. The chili pepper red we drover was nice but a bit bright for us, plus the wagon is red and we want a blue or gray this time.
    Buy the red one. I've got the silver, I'll trade you. ;)

Personally, i'd prefer the gunmetal grey color myself.
    Yeah, that's the one my wife likes too. I like silver cars since you never have to wash them, but the van is silver so it's time to try for a new color.
    Would replacing the 16" tires and wheels on the Touring with 17" tire and wheels give a smoother and softer ride??
    It would do the opposite.
    Agreed. As a rule, it goes like this: Larger rims mean lower profile tires. Lower profile tires have stiffer sidewalls out of necessity. Stiffer sidewalls aren't as good at absorbing road irregularities. Hence, the ride quality is harsher.
  • browntroutbrowntrout Member Posts: 24
    I just purchased a Touring GL up here in Canada. I know the trim levels are different here than in the US. I have a mini usb conector (cell phone/blackberry size) on the stereo unit above the aux input (not in the arm rest like the GL sport). I was wondering if the USB port is used to power mp3 players which would plug in through the AUX input or if it can actually be used with a portable drive to read MP3s?

I've looked in the manual and there are like 10 stereo units but none of them match mine? Any ideas...especially people from Canada? May just pop by the dealership next time I am in the area.
    Definitely, keep the 16" wheels. To get a smoother rides, I'd keep the existing wheels and go shop for tires on link title. Pick out a couple of different tires, and look at their "Survey Results" to see which tires you'd like, based on hundreds of users' reviews. Even at the same size, different tires will ride differently. I did this when I got my 2007 Highlander. I took off the Bridgestone Duelers, and upgraded to Michelin CrossTerrains, in exact same size. They cost more, but they give a much better ride, better handling, are quieter on the road, and have a longer tread life.

Note that I'm recommending that you shop there, because they have this Survey info. When you find a tire model or two you like, then shop around for the best deal. I myself have used Costco with excellent results.
    Guarg is right if you are looking for the smoother ride - but I specifically wanted the 17" because I felt that the roll in the corners from the 16" was just not worth a little bit of cushioning. To me the 16" wheels make the Touring drive like a minivan. If that is what you want then go for it.
    It's a matter of perspective. I find the ride with the 16 inchers to be just the right balance of handling and comfort. And I'm coming off of a Mazda3 with 17 inch rims. Came standard with the hatch: bruised kidneys were an undocumented extra. :shades:
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    Price has dropped for 2010. Discuss...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

The Touring only came in one style before (albeit one with a manual and one with a manual). The MT saved you $800 over the automatic. The one big option (sunroof, wheels, heated seats) ran you $1500 on either one.

Now they have 3 styles but they all have the same drivetrain. It looks to me like the SE just gets the $1500 option pack as standard plus a short throw shifter on the MT. The "base" GLS looks like just a base with either the AT or the MT.

I guess I'm wondering if they deleted some content from the GLS manual to get it $1800 cheaper. If not, that's really good to see. I don't think they are selling a lot of them at the current $18,520 base price (although there is a $1,500 incentive on the '09s).

Steve, visiting (and still tire-kicking) host
  • maenidmommaenidmom Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 2009 touring using the C4C- the dealer was jammed, hard to get attention, much less a test drive. There was one Touring on the site last weekend and when we went in the next day it was gone. Dealer was able to find another for us and we went through with purchase. This is in northern CA but apparently NO tourings anywhere- so very little off MRSP besides a $1500 cash incentive. Dealer called next day to say the color (carbon gray) NOT available, just the black. We were pushed to take possession of car when it arrived the next evening, against my better judgement. 198 miles on the odometer. Next morning inspected car at home and found several scratches. Crappy customer service in regards to getting attention for this but did eventually have to bring it in, drop off for three hours and they addressed the scratches. When I went to pick up there were still four small yet noticeable scratches on driver's door- (ie. fingernail catches). Said this wasn't acceptable to me- it's a new car for crissakes and I paid a premium. They said they'd look at it again and left us waiting. Just so strange, we left. Went to body shop next morning and got estimate (about $600 to sand down, repaint but two door panels due to matching paint panels). Dropped it off at dealer (please note- no one was taking ownership of this, not our saleman, not the manager, not the Big manager), sent corresponding email to Big manager. They called, spoke to husband and will do body work next week at one of their contractors. I feel like I'm getting less than what I paid for- like they should have just come down on the price $1000 and apologized profusely, instead of giving me what's becoming like a salvage car in my mind, never mind my time on the additional trips back and forth to the dealer. I have barely driven this car because it just seems stained. The excitement of buying a new car has been replaced with feelings of having been taken and poorly treated. Sooo...any sage advice re asking more cash back on top of the repair, or in lieu of the repair, or "let it go" because with repairs/repaint car will indeed be as good as new, and my week plus of anxiety over it all is just water under the bridge?? (Our other cars are Honda Pilot, and Acura RL- were treated like royalty with those purchases).
  • woofbarkboowoofbarkboo Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a Elantra Touring but I cannot find one in my area. I have contacted many dealers and they just dont have one. Some say that the 2010 is on its way and one actually said its "in the port" ready to be unloaded and should be in the dealership in 2 weeks. Another deal said "what are they talking about there is NO news WHEN the 2010 is coming out!" So who do I believe here???? I would like to take advantage of the "cash for clunkers" deal but how long can I wait for the 2010s and are they coming or not?
    What's your area and how many Hyundai dealers are within 50 miles of you? You should be prepared to drive at least that far...Hyundai knows not to put dealers too close together, otherwise they end up competing with each other.

If there's dealers within 100 miles you could work phone/email, and just tell them you're quite distant, and that you don't want to waste the trip unless they have one for somewhere near the right price, to make the trip worthwhile for you.
  • raderatorraderator Member Posts: 26
    I test drove an '09 base model and an '10 SE. I liked the '09 better. Then I saw a new '10 base model at another dealer. They don't have alloy wheels anymore! Just crappy plastic wheel covers. That's how they knocked $1800 off the price. Too bad because I think the 16" wheels ride and handle better than those ghetto 17" ones.
    Aftermarket wheels? (would cost a lot less than $1800)
  • raderatorraderator Member Posts: 26
    I think they knocked some other stuff off too. All the mags are acting like it's some great deal (none noticed the missing 16" alloys).

One good thing, they now have a roof rack. It's quite solid. I think it's part of a $700 package. Tie a couple of boards across it and you could carry a couple of kayaks or maybe a canoe. A car this low should have a roof rack. The cargo area ain't that big.

The hatch height is fine if you are 6'1" or less. The hatch latch is protected with plastic so it won't kill you if you are taller. I noticed that the cargo light has no off switch (is it timed?). There is a DC outlet there tho.The floor is level with the bumper. Your dog will probably want to go in that way rather than the side door since the seats don't fold flat. You'll need a bumper guard.

BTW, I don't think the bluetooth works thru the radio. If not, just get a Garmin. Tho it may be hard to find an SE without it.
    I have the 09 Touring with 16 Tires and it handles well. I would like to have roof rails installed I wonder if you can get them for the 09. Cost would be a factor.
  • justloujustlou Member Posts: 35
    I was driving home yesterday, when all of a sudden it sounded like the rear end of the car was going to fall off whenever I hit a small bump. I drove the car directly to the dealer. 15 minutes later, they tell me my car is fixed. I was told that "a nut fell off the rear stabilizer bar". While I was happy that my car was fixed quickly and easily, I'm not happy that a brand new cars has nuts and bolts falling off.
    I need to replace a windshield on my 2009 Touring and the glass shop says it will take at least a week to ship in town, if then. Has anyone had to replace one before and is this delay something that is normal?
    My wife's 01 Elantra needed a replacement a couple of years back. Gerber had it in stock (somewhere around Chicago) and did the repair next day. They even come out & do it at no extra cost. Call your insurance agent. Even if you're not filing a claim for the glass they should be able to recommend good & reasonably priced shops.