Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    I've been trying to decide between V6 and V8 models and I think nhopper1 and sween77 make some good points. After driving both types (unfortunately about a month apart) I noticed one thing about the V8 I drove. When transitioning from braking to acceleration at a low speed (such as almost coming to a stop) it was very difficult to accelerate smoothly. Even when being careful about it, it was tough to avoid a bit of a jerk. I don't remember this happening with the V6, but it was a short test drive and I may have always come to a complete stop during that drive.

My concern may seem nitpicky, but I noticed it right away, and it may have been the reason that the V8 felt a little more "clunky" to me than the V6 version did. I'll have to drive both versions again to see if this was simply a defect in my impressions or if the V8 I was driving wasn't working quite right. It had only partly warmed up at the time. Otherwise, I'm concerned that the V8 will always feel a little more clunky.

If this is consistent behavior, I'm wondering about causes. Could it simply be the effect of the extra torque of the V8 at low revs? Maybe made worse by a lower first gear (if the 5 spd vs 4 spd difference means that the V8's first gear is actually lower)? Maybe the more "drive-by-wire" nature of the V6 allows better throttle control and coordination of engine and transmission?

I like both versions of this vehicle, but I don't trade cars often and don't want to go off in the wrong direction. I'd appreciate hearing any other perspective or experiences on this.
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    Awhile back I posted some questions concerning the VSC and the drivetrain differences between the 99 SR5 and the 02 Limited. Well, I am noticing that when in two wheel drive (in the rain) I am sliding (fishtailing) a little more often when going into turns and I was just wondering if that's inherent of the different drivetrain that I am getting use to? I just remember in my 99 that I just didn't slip/slide as much? Is the new system telling me that I need to drive in the 4-wheel mode in the rain? Am I just imagining this?
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    Interesting. See who won the category....

http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/bestcars/
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    I just saw the SR5 Appearance Package. I really liked it. The side molding looked smooth, no more bumps, the back bumper looked just like the Limited. Heck, the whole thing looked like a Limited. I really liked it. Sorry about the quality of the pictures. It was in the back lot and it was raining and it was getting dark. The model was a SR5 4WD, black.

http://pics.montypics.com/peter78/2003-02-17/05_toyo.jpg

http://pics.montypics.com/peter78/2003-02-17/06_toyo.jpg

http://pics.montypics.com/peter78/2003-02-17/07_toyo.jpg

http://pics.montypics.com/peter78/2003-02-17/08_toyo.jpg
  • fudge123fudge123 Member Posts: 12
    I purchased a black SR5 V8 on Jan 2, 2003. As a result of reading the articles in this forum, I asked the dealer if color matched clading was going to be an option in the near future. He told me that he heard nothing about this. Well, 1 month later, the color matched clading is available! I'm a little mad about this given the fact that I could have waited a month. Anyway, does anyone know if I could have the color matched clading installed at the dealer? If so, do you have any idea how much it would cost?
  • lomadoolomadoo Member Posts: 4
    Ok -- have '03 limited 2400 mi. with air bags -- does anyone's seats (driver/passenger) squeak? sounds like leather rubbing against internal airbag and other noises -- also creaks when push on the back of the seats (like when accelerate, etc.) -- otherwise GREAT truck, but can they fix this or is it a design thing??
  • waiting4onewaiting4one Member Posts: 4
    I have been trying to find a V8 2WD Nav Sport Titanium in Houston and Texas, but I have been told by no less than 5-6 dealers that the vehicle is unavailable in this 5 State area. In fact Gulf State Toyota says that no Navs are available at this time in any package. Has anyone in Texas purchased a vehicle with Navigation. Any help finding the above vehicle greatly appreciated. Will consider 4WD, but it would not be my 1st choice. The rep said that I can put in a prefrence request, but it might take 3-6 months for the vehicle to arrive. Thanks!
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    Lomadoo,

This has been discussed earlier in this thread and the, now 'read only', new 2003 4runner thread. In fact after a quick search I see that it was YOU who asked about this in the "New 2003 Toyota 4Runner" discussion in December, and I also actually found a reply to your same question in there that was also in December. Yeah, so I can stop the RTFM attitude, I'll just post the answer that was given in there from klc5610 in post #358:

"There are several posts awhile back complaining of squeaks in the seats. I have 2500 miles on my V8 Ltd and was having similar squeaks in the passenger seat only. On calling the dealer they reported getting a bulletin from Toyota and a kit to fix the problem. The air bag is rubbing against the leather causing the noise. The kit includes a thin felt piece that is placed around the air bag opening. They installed the felt, got the seat back together perfectly and the noise is gone."

I think the edmunds hosts should know that their search does work great.

-Jared
    thanks, jared. i must've gotten it fixed before reading the old thread. i'm excited toyota is on the ball. i will get it done. my original posting turned out to be a DIFFERENT squeak. At 1100 miles I took it in because of a creaking in the driver seat, as if something were loose -- they re-adjusted the seat on the fore/aft runner and it went away, but then this leather noise popped up over the next 500 miles or so.
  • olrockerolrocker Member Posts: 16
    Yes, my LTD's driver's seat creaks like an old screen door (and I don't have the side airbags.) Problem is, it's intermittent, so of course it wasn't doing it when I had it in for it's oil change at 5K miles. It seems to be doing it more lately, so maybe they'll hear it now. Mine also seems to be slightly off-kilter, like it's not sitting level or something. Maybe it's just me...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And it does help to read the fine manual, but who wants to do that? :-)

Steve, Host
  • lpaplpap Member Posts: 9
    I've been researching the 4Runners for about 6 weeks now, tracking the great comments on this board, and am very close to buying. I do have a couple of questions:

Is the color keyed cladding available in white? From what I gather, that gives the same appearance of the LTD. Is this correct? How much are people paying ($300ish)?

Also, does anyone have experience getting the leather seating w/out going through the dealer? I've seen Classic Soft Trim mentioned on this message board, but they won't quote prices until the car is purchased ( b/c of their contracts with the dealers). I would assume it's cheaper to buy it on your own and better quality leather, but I wanted to know what experience other people have had. Can anyone give me a price? I'm guessing the $1000-$1500 range. Quality? Thanks for any help.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think there are some quotes posted in the Aftermarket leather upholstery discussion.

Steve, Host
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Go to www.katzkin.com

They will direct you to a installation dealer in your area. Excellent leather and they also have seat heaters as well.

I was quoted about $1050 for full install with leather. This included the center armrest. $1200 included leather on all 4 doors.

The price will more than likely vary with different installation centers.
  • lpaplpap Member Posts: 9
    Steve & mrwhipple, thanks for the info.
  • actsmartactsmart Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2002 4Runner - Am I excited!
    I'm thinking of buying some aftermarket audio equipment from www.autotoys.com Does anyone have experience with them - good or bad. I'd like to know before I plunk down my hard earned $. Or can you recommend a good place to go for aftermarket audio & alarms.
  • martin45martin45 Member Posts: 51
    Great question Fudge.

I purchased a black SR5 V8 at about the same time as you. I also asked the dealer about color matching the cladding and was told that it was not an option for the SR5 model.

Yes...I am not happy that I could have waited a month too for the new appearance package that is now offered for the SR5.Well, I recently called Toyota customer service to express my displeasure. I was told:

1) That Toyota can make production changes, outside of safety, at any time without obligation to the customer.

2) The new appearance package is a factory-installed option.

3) Toyota has no plans to offer the appearance package to Toyota customers who purchased a 2003 SR5 without it.

I told Customer Service that this was a major production change to a newly released vehicle, and that customers who previously purchased an SR5 should be given the option to purchase the new appearance package also. Most of what I was told was BS. The only thing of value I got out of my call was; if there is a large volume of LOUD complaints something may be offered.

To all of you that are in this position, I suggest you call Toyota customer service at 1.800.331.4331 and file a complaint of your displeasure immediately. In addition, which I have done, is call the Toyota office of the President. That number is available through Toyota Customer service. Ask for it.

You must call and be heard!
    Post your call results, and don't let up! Spread the word. Each person can make a difference.
  • djod49djod49 Member Posts: 12
    Fudge: I saw a millenium silver SR5 with dealer painted overfenders, bumpers & cladding at a Toyota dealer in Wichita, Ks. in December. It looked great & at first I thought it was a Limited. The cost was around $900. The salesman said it took a lot of prep work and they had to special order the clips to hold the fenders on as they thought they could reuse the old ones.They would not however warranty the paint. I have a 99 SR5 and held off on buying until the cladding issue is resolved and even though the appearance package is listed on the Toyota web site, the local salesman still are in the dark about when & how much. Hope this was of some help to you
    Thanks for the great info martin45 and djod49. Something was telling me to wait, and I would have had the dealer given me any indication that the clading would be available.
    Anyway, I decided to buy then because I thought I was getting a great deal ($200 over invoice, SR5 V8, 4x4, JBL Sound, SR)and was afraid to pass it up. Anyway, it doesn't look that bad with the gray clading, but I would have MUCH preferred the black! I think I'll take you up on placing the phone call and voicing my opinion. Thanks for the help!
    Gary
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    Congratulations on the purchase of your '02..I love mine.. I don't know what part of the country that you are from?? I don't know about the specific audio place you mentioned,but, out here in Seattle I have always used a place called Car Toys....Good work and with good top end merchandise...
    Anyone experience this problem. I have a 2003 SR5 V8, 4X4, @2000 miles. On 2/17/03 in the middle of a huge snowstorm (24"in NE PA) the heater blower motor failed to come on. I checked the fuse for the blower and found that it was good. I placed it back in the fuse holder and I heard the blower turn on. The next morning, same problem. I had to remove the fuse and place it back in (a few times) to get the motor to come on. I had dealer look at it. Of course by then it was working fine! The dealer said it could be the blower motor (obviously not certain!). They ordered an new one and will call me when it comes in. Just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.
    While I'm on a roll here I figured I would also share one other problem I had. I own a 2003 SR5, V8, 4X4 with 2000 miles. First of all, I must say I love this vehicle! Ride, handling, power. Much better than the 2000 Explorer I just got rid of. I just figured I would throw this problem out to all of you.

A few week ago, I left work and was on my way home on the interstate. It was very cold (+5 degrees). I went to pass a car and heard a back fire. Suddenly, it was as though the engine powered down. I couldn't go above 20 MPH and the RPMs wouldn't go above 1500. The car didn't stall, it bucked a few times but I eventually had to pull over. After a few moments sitting idle, I pulled out on the interstate again, and it did the same thing. Couldn't get the car to go above 25 MPH. The more I pushed the gas peddle, the lower the tach went, almost as though I was flooding the car (if thats possible).

I made it home, turned off the car and called the dealer. They told me to start it again. (5 minutes later) It started perfect! No problem! I dove it to the dealer (30 miles away) without a problem. The dealer checked it out, no problem!
    The dealer said it could have been bad gas.

I must admit that a few days earlier, I did get gas at a station that had 7 out of 8 pumps out of service. They said they were running out of gas! (Should have realized! Stupid me!) Anyway, its been running a month now without a problem, so I guess it could have been the gas.

Any thoughts? Would bad gas (or water in the gas) exhibit these symptoms?
  • martin45martin45 Member Posts: 51
    Fudge,

Good move in deciding to call Toyota Customer service. Ask them for the number of the Toyota Office of the President, and follow with a call to that department as well. Post your results. Thanks
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    Yes, bad gas can do exactly what you experienced. Had the same thing on my folks older car do the same thing, but it also quit. After a couple bottles of fuel cleaner additive, it worked fine.
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    In cold weather when operating the HVAC system in Auto mode, it's normal for the blower to stay off until the coolant temp begins to rise. Then the blower will start and progressively speed up until the interior begins to warm. The blower speed will then diminish, ending up on low. The system will first direct all the air to the footwells, then turn on the dash vents when the interior is nice and toasty. This whole process takes considerable time, as much as 20 minutes, to complete

If you don't like this behavior, you can deselect Auto mode or simply press one of the fan speed buttons.

I agree you may have a load of bad fuel causing your running problems. I'd dump a couple of bottles of Isopropyl fuel antifreeze (DON'T get the Methanol variety) in your tank to chase the water away.

-Karl, '03 Limited
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    I had exactly the same problem occur due to bad gas.
  • cuccbombcuccbomb Member Posts: 1
    someone had discussed how to change the antenna mast. when i attempted to pull out the damaged antenna i found out the cord is not attached to the antenna. is this an error on my part---or do i need to take the car in to have this fixed by a mechanic? thxs
  • fishingguyfishingguy Member Posts: 34
    how would you say the katzkin leather compares to the "port installed" leather that one would get on an SR5?
  • backroadfanbackroadfan Member Posts: 22
    You asked about the driveability of the V8 several days ago and I have not seen anyone respond so I thought I would offer my experience after 1500 miles of ownership. I bought a V8 4x4 Sport about 3 weeks ago and have 1500 miles of mixed highway and city driving.

I have not experienced any problems with the engine's response to throttle changes at low or high speeds. I am very pleased with the well behaved manners of the engine/transmission. It appears that the design of the electronic throttle control has been well done as far as smoothness, ease of modulating the speed and mechanical resistance as you press the gas pedal. As a bonus, the cruise control maintains the desired speed within +-1 mph. Of course, both the V6 and V8 have the electronic throttle.

I am not sure what you experienced on your test drive that made the V6 seem smoother than the V8 but my assessment is that the V8 powertrain works beautifully. I hope this is useful in making your decision. Good luck.
  • scvailscvail Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 4Runner Limited and I love everything about it...Now if I can figure out a way to prevent my front seats from squeaking. They really are quite noticeable. I have spoken to the dealership and they said that there is no word about this problem from Toyota.

I remember reading something about this in an earlier discussion. Does anyone know any specific information? Is there a fix?

Thanks!
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    If the white plastic toothed part that feeds the mast upwards broke off inside the antenna motor, normally you'll have to get a dealer to fix that. If you can take out the ring that holds the unit in place to the body, then turn the radio on and get all the plastic part out(don't be shy), you should be able to just have to buy the mast portion and do it yourself. Feed the white part down the housing tube, get the antenna base in position, and turn the radio off. That will make it catch.

I succumbed a few weeks ago: 2003 V8, 4WD Limited, Pacific Blue, Taupe. Came loaded, even with the seat squeak. Looking forward to critiquing it on here. The power and handling and AWD are huge steps forward. Interior design has a few shortcomings.

RSHolland, what did you decide to do? TBCreative, where are you?

If you ever need a great price on a extended Toyota factory warranty, contact Cliffy1 on here.
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    Thanks backroadfan for sharing some specific experience. I'll just have to spend more time driving both versions and post again if I find anything interesting. My current car has a low-torque, high RPM engine and perhaps my right foot just needs some practice!

I talked to a friend who knows modern engines & transmissions well, and he said the problem might also be an adaptive interaction between the electronic throttle/engine controls and the electronic transmission. The vehicle I tested had very few miles, and the software may have not have been done calibrating things. I have found that some things in engine management computers at least, take a while to adapt and the calibrations thus derived are retained in memory. They may then change slowly over time.

As for reliability (another post), I'm not too worried about an aluminum engine, as manufacturers have been making good ones for quite some time. The other pros and cons of both engines and transmissions have already been brought out here.

About the different versions of the sun visors, apparently random: The V8 I drove didn't have side airbags and had the auxiliary mini visor rather than the visor extension. The variations may be caused because they only do certain visors with side curtain airbags, to prevent the airbag striking the visor and driving it into one's head.
    Karl,
    Thanks for your feedback. I do understand how the HVAC system works in auto mode. In auto mode, it typically takes 10 minutes (in cold weather) for the motor to start ramping up to speed. Personally, I like this feature. It doesn't make sense to blow cold air on everyone! However, the blower would not come on at all, even when I switched to manual mode. The only resolution was to remove the fuse a few times until it turned on. Strange! Anyway, the dealer ordered a new motor. It's been 3 days since my first experience with this problem and it has been working fine for the past 2 days!

Anyway, I already added the dry gas that everyone suggested. Haven't had this problem since. This problem was very disturbing at the time. 20 MPH on the interstate with trucks barreling down on me at 80 MPH!

I'd like to thank everyone for their input. This is an excellent forum!
    Thanks again,
    Gary
    Scroll back one or two pages in the discussion and you'll see your answer. It was discussed yesterday or the day before. Try the search if you can't seem to find it.

-Jared
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    Cuccbomb,

You really need to remove the motor from under the fender. It could be broken into several pieces. Once the motor is removed, there are some screws you remove to open the housing. Then, you can make sure and remove all the old mast. I have replaced mine, twice, on my T100.
      If you decide to do, you need to pick up 4 or 5 fender cover clips, because you will more than likely break them off trying to get the plastic fender skirt off. Then there is one nut that holds the motor in place and you must disconnect the power cord. Readily available once the skirt is partially removed. To re install new mast, hook everything back up, turn on ignition, turn on radio, feed new mast into hole until it catches motor teeth in bottom, and then have someone turn off radio, so you can feed new mast down into motor and metal antennna into place.
  • nbuchanannbuchanan Member Posts: 6
    Hi Folks:

I've now done about 2,000 miles in my truck and so far so good. This is my second 4Runner and I really think they've done a great job. My truck has performed flawlessly in some really bad Canadian winter conditions.

I truly value the information that's posted on this forum. Here are some of my findings...

- When I'm parked, snow doesn't accumulate on the glass because it has a water repellant coating (except for the windshield).

- It's a matter of personal taste but I actually like the body cladding. Looks aside, it has really protected my paintwork.

- Gas consumption is pretty poor. My best results so far have been 18.5 mpg. That's on highway and good roads. I'm hoping that this is because it's still fairly tight and we've had very cold weather.

- My only problem was that the doors wouldn't unlock automatically when I selected Park. The owner's manual says there are four programmable modes which can be selected. I had no luck at all but the dealer has now fixed it. They said the directions in the owner's manual are incorrect. They used a service manual to find the proper directions.

Otherwise, great engine, excellent handling, lots of space and all the other goods things mentioned on this forum.
  • sween77sween77 Member Posts: 31
    I havent seen much REAL WORLD MPG comparisons between the V6 and V8 engines. There have been a few posts suggesting the V8 gets around 17 MPG. However I have not seen anything for the V6. Can anybody help here?
    Scvail and Kjack100, et. al -- I took mine in yesterday to the dealership where I bought it and they fixed it _almost_ completely. (note: I had already had the driver seat fixed for a different rattle since fixed, see previous) Took off the front covers of the seats and inserted felt/foam. It is a TSB. Had heard it was leather rubbing up against seat airbags, they termed it rubbing against the seat "frame." I only hear a _slight_ creak if I push back really hard toward the top of the driver seat. There might be a very small creak in the passenger seat inside the right-side bolster. I would say it is 95-98% fixed. You can drive with the JBL off and cannot hear anything. So now it has the same cushioning as my old 1981 Cutlass LS. I will keep an ear open over the next 34000 miles. This is perhaps the only vehicle I have ever owned where I don't care how many times (within reason) I need to take it in for minor warranty work -- it is a pleasure to drive.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Are you an SUV owner who has taken special action since the anti-SUV backlash began? Have you traded in your vehicle, reconsidered your purchase, cut back on your use of your SUV, parked in more protected/secure areas, etc? If so, a magazine writer wants to hear from you.
    Please respond with your make and model to jfallon@edmunds.com by February 28.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I personally won't reply to that last message, because I haven't really changed my attitude towards SUV's. I feel comfortable that I bought a V-6 4runner which is rated as a ULEV and has a bumper that is car friendly. Also, I figure that before every SUV gets taken off the street, every Bently Arnage needs to go as well because according to that review on edmunds, the thing gets 9 miles/gallon. Not to mention every car on the road made before 1970 that isn't required to pass smog and that had no such thing as a crumple zone.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    ... Not to mention every tall car, minivan, pickup truck, conversion van, dump truck, shuttle bus, metro bus, tractor trailer, and anything else some of these jealous and whining SUV haters has to complain about. I guess that would leave us all walking or riding bikes.
  • actsmartactsmart Member Posts: 3
    I'm in Southern California - I found a good installer down here, it's just that alarms and cd changers are so much cheaper on the net. I went to the Toyota dealer to find out if I have a type 2 or type 3 radio. A type 2 has the cd auto changer controller I would need. The Dealer didn't know. They ran my VIN and still didn't know! The only number on the front of the radio (4Runner 2002)is: AD6803 Is there anyway to find out what radio I have without pulling it out of the dash and looking on the back for the connector? This sure is confusing.
    Try calling the aftermarket stereo shop you go to. They usually can look up any car/year and see key stuff like speaker sizes, and they might also be able to give information about your head unit. Just a guess, I'm not sure.

-Jared
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I think you were in the "limp home" mode where the engine doesn't cut out completely but reduces power to prevent serious damage. I actually didn't know the Runners had this but that is what it sounds like.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Right up until last Sunday, SUV owners were the picture of evil. Then, every government agency, hospital and nursing home begged the media to ask SUV owners for help. We got hammered by the snow here in the Washington DC area. The response was overwhelming. Some hospitals actually had more help than they needed and were turning away SUV owners.

There is a reason to own an SUV. Your neighbor may not agree with your reason but that's his/her problem now isn't it?
  • sovangsovang Member Posts: 56
    I have a 2003 4runner SR5 with 3000 miles and two days ago two problems occurred.

1. The light auto cut off no longer works...(it used to turn off after 30 seconds).
    2. When I press the lock button twice, it no longer turns off the lights.

Did I accidently disabled this feature?? Or is there something wrong?

Thanks for your help.

SV
  • rickwil61rickwil61 Member Posts: 23
    I checked the mileage on my last full tank of gas (by calculating gallons used, not the onboard computer) and I was getting about 19.3 with 87 octane gas in Denver CO. That is with a combination of city and highway driving. With straight highway driving it should at least get 20+ MPG no problem.

Overall I'm happy with the V6. It has good power and runs pretty smooth. I'm not worried about the aluminum engine, as another poster said, manufacturers have been making aluminum engines for a while and I also checked with Toyota before I bought it and verified that it is steel sleeved. I think it'll do fine on 87 octane gas even at lower altitudes. The manual says 91 is recommended but not required. Plus they've thrown in some new technology like variable valve timing and with the aluminum block there is less weight. I also like the option of being able to run in 2WH. All of that with the $800 cheaper price tag made it seem like a good choice to me.
  • rickwil61rickwil61 Member Posts: 23
    I saw Hannity and Colmes Thursday night and Robert Kennedy Jr. was on and was taking about how people with SUVs who don't need them are un American because they increase our dependence on foreign oil, blah blah blah. What was great was when Hannity (who owns 2 SUVs) asked Mr. Kennedy about his usage of private jets and the fuel that they consume. Of course Kennedy justified it because he NEEDED those private jets.

I don't know about you but I NEED my SUV. It gets better mileage than a lear jet...
  • steffen06steffen06 Member Posts: 7
    The 2003 Limited that I am driving has been getting about 18-19 mpg in mixed city/highway driving, this is based on the amount of gas I put in and actual distance driven (some of this in the 4WD mode). The computer seems to be off by about 1-2 mpg since it indicatest that I'm getting between 19 and 21 mpg. I don't know if it has any way to be recalibrated.

With regard to drivability, the car that I have was driven from a dealership in MI to one in OH. The person that drove the car had driven V6 and V8 4Runner's for some distance and remarked that he thouhgt that the V6 "handle better" and accelerated quicker.

My work commute is about 70 miles roundtrip and in driving this vehicle the last few weeks I have been very impressed. The only noise that I have noticed is that the license plate rattles against the lift gate!!! I had a 1998 Ford F150 prior to the 4Runner and the wind and tire noise was much more evident in the F150.