Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Touring 2009 -

Comments

• maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    OK, I checked it out. You really want me to remove three bolts to get that piece out of the way when the metal car frame is still in the way? No way. I'll stick to my flexible paint pan liner method to funnel the oil down to my waiting bucket.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    It's three 10mm bolts, takes only a minute to remove, and makes access to the oil filter waaayyyy easier. The only oil that gets on the subframe is a drip or two. Most goes directly into the drain pan.

If you can get that filter off without removing the plate, you are definitely more flexible than this old dog!
    edited October 2010
    he, he, he.....yep, I simply wedge a plastic liner up past the filter to ensure the oil flows where I want it. I then use a oil filter strap I picked up at the dollar store. The first time was a real bear given that Hyundai over torques the filter on the assembly line. Now the filter is hand tightened and pretty simple to remove with my $1 tool. Same for the oil plug; it too was way too tight from the factory. The other day was the first time the oil plug's washer came off when I took the plug off. I had not been replacing the washer up until that point. Yet another bogus claim from the dealership that you have to replace it each time...........NOT. 13 years and I never replaced the one on my Vibe or Corolla and never lost a drip of oil. I only replaced it this time because it finally dislodged from the back of the oil pan.
    Overtorquing the drain plug is just plain stupid. There isn't any pressure in the pan, so it isn't like it will leak without gorilla force. I don't understand the gasket thing either on the gaskets used nowadays. Back when I was a kid, GM used a copper crush washer. It was good for a few changes, then might drip. I don't thing I changed more than a handful, and I worked summers in a GM dealership.

That "gasket" that Hyundai uses just keeps you from gauling the oil pan surface around the drain hole. I don't get down -too- much on the factory for those tight oil filters. More than once I have put one on to "contact plus one turn", only to have to bust a gut to get it off. I have seen Ford's with the original filter on so tight you would crush it with a band wrench trying to get it off. Crushing a filter is a lot more common with aftermarket filters than with OEM. Thinner steel walls.
  • mikems1mikems1 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a new 2011 HET auto and a few days ago I tried to start it and it would not start, the ESP light was on (not flashing) and eventually, I moved the gears through and moved the steering wheel and the car started fine...has not happened since. Is this some kind of safeguard, or did the wheel just get locked up (I know that used to happen on some older cars I have had in the past).
    Thanks for any feedback
  • misterbillmisterbill Member Posts: 60
    I've been having problems with AM reception lately. I get very bad static, especially when I am driving at highway speeds. It usually clears up when the car is standing still (but not always). Has anyone else seen this? I asked the service guy at the dealer about it when I had it in for an oil change on a Saturday and he didn't know, said I would have to bring it in on a weekday, which I have not done yet (I typically listen to XM, although I also listen to the news and sports stations on AM).

Any suggestions?
    Similar issue on my 2010. If you bump the dash next to the radio with the ball of your hand, the AM radio cuts in and out, almost as though there is a bad ground on the antennae lead.

FM is not affected much by a bad ground, but AM definitely is affected.
  • sir_timbitsir_timbit Member Posts: 39
    edited December 2010
    Holy Cow! I don't know how much the price went up in the US, but up here in Canada the 2011 ETs MSRP increased a whopping 2 grand on almost all trim levels compared to the 2010s. When I asked a Hyundai salesguy what was new in the 2011 model to justify such a jump in price, he smiled and said "the model year."

Anyone out there compare the Elantra Touring against the Tucson? is it me, or does the ET have more rear cargo room than the Tucson. Although the Tucson certainly has a more powerful four-banger.
    edited December 2010
    yep. I was all set to buy a Tucson until I crawled all through the ET. The ET not only has more cargo room, but it has more storage areas, better seating position for all passengers, and has a commanding view (360 degrees). The ET also is much easier to enter/exit compared to the Tucson, especially for rear passengers. The reason why I'll be buying another ET (2012) is because of the 6 speed auto found in the current Tucson. I can't wait. I just hope Hyundai gives drivers one more inch of leg room to the next ET.
    Has anyone had to replace the rear wiper blade on their Touring? Mine ripped today. None of the sites I checked seems to know what model it needs. I thought it would be the same 11" Trico Exact Fit Wiper Blade that my daughter's Pontiac Vibe takes. The Hyundai warranty covers wiper blades for one year (I am at 11 months), but only for 12,000 miles and sadly I am over that. I guess I could call the dealer and see if they could cover it. My local Advanced Auto Parts is out of stock on the blade so I will need to figure out how to install it or find an AAP with it in stock (I never could figure out how to remove the rear blade on my daughter's car).
    While the vibe does take the 11 inch Trico, the ET has a 12 inch blade for the rear window.
    misterbill: in your search engine enter: i30 genuine rear wiper ebay, and you will find the entire unit. I'm assuming that the 12 inch on the i30 is the same as the ET. I know you only wanted the blade, but after 20 searches, I could not find one on line. You'll have to ask at the dealership. Otherwise, see if the photo on ebay matches up.
    Crud -- I ordered the 11" Trico for in-store pickup at Advance Auto Parts since they had a 20% off sale that ended yesterday. I guess I will cancel the order, or maybe see if my daughter's car needs one.
    So, I went to Advance Auto Parts to look for a blade. They have 2 12" rear wiper blades from Trico. The sales guy first sold me one, it would not fit. So he looked at the other one and decided it would fit, so he returned the first and sold me the second. Went out to the car, could not get that to fit, either. Agreed that the blade is obviously Hyundai specific. Went to the dealer after that, the service people said they would not cover it under warranty because I am over 12,000 miles (not sure if I mentioned this originally but the blades are covered for 1 year/12k miles). Went to the parts window and discovered that the blade is $22 (more than double the price of the Trico's) and they did not have it in stock.

I really like this car but stuff like this really gets me angry. Absolutely no excuse for them to have a dealer-only part like a wiper blade. What were they thinking (or not thinking)???
    Again, I would go on to e-bay and see how much those i30 rear wiper blades would cost you, and most importantly, see if the pictures shown match our ET blade. In many cases, it takes upwards of two years for auto supply chains to stock rear wiper blades on vehicles. The same thing happened with my Vibe oil cannister filter and rear wiper blade.

Was it the wiper arm that the auto supply store carried that would not fit, or the rubber insert?
    edited January 2011
    Buying on ebay is not going to be practical. While $22 is high compared to the auto parts stores, any savings would be more than eaten up by shipping costs.

Also I don't think this is an auto supply store issue. The blade manufacturers are not making one that fits the ET. As I said, it's not like a 12" rear wiper blade is an uncommon thing -- Trico makes 2 different models. No excuse for the engineers at Hyundai not making the car compatible with one of those.

Also, it's neither the arm (which I think of as the metal piece) nor the insert. It's the replacement plastic blade. Does anyone bother replacing the insert anymore? That would be an option if it were doable.
    edited January 2011
    If Hyundai dealerships can obtain a blade, then it is an auto supply store issue and it normally does take quite a while before they stock parts for new cars, especially rarely used parts like rear wiper blades. Your only other option at this point is to take the insert out and match the width up with any other insert at the store; then cut the length to size, or perhaps to go to a junk yard and see if any ETs have been wrecked.
    The dealer can obtain the blade because it is a Hyundai part. Places like Advance Auto Parts carry the brand name wiper blades - Trico, Rain-X, etc. They're not going to carry a part specific to one model. Maybe if I go to an all-purpose auto parts store that gets stuff for mechanics (who would probably just order it from Hyundai, anyway) but not someplace like Advance.
  • marlenelinmarlenelin Member Posts: 87
    I'm considering trading my 2009 Touring with 21,000 miles for the new 2011 Elantra. I like the Touring but don't need a wagon anymore and prefer the cushier ride of the sedan (we also have a 2008 elantra sedan that my daughter drives). Do you think I am nuts? The car has been trouble free. Marlene
    edited January 2011
    Personnaly, I just have never understood why people buy a car just to get rid of it. The ET is an outstanding vehicle, and with it being a wagon, that much more versitile than a grocery getting sedan. I too am thinking of picking up a used 2010 Elantra sedan for another member of the family but would never think of getting rid of our ET GLS. I'm not too thrilled with the new Elantra sedan. The roof line is low making it difficult for tall people to get in and out, and the headroom and legroom for rear passengers is non existant. Again, I'm not sure why you would get rid of the ET that easily fits 4 adults for a two seater that has no exended functionality other than to put a few items in the trunk. Good luck with your decision. I think if you stay with the Elantra line, you will have a very reliable car in your driveway.
    I never bought the car with the intention of getting rid of it. We usually keep our cars for a minimum of ten years. It is just that when I compare the ride of the touring to the ride of our 2008 elantra sedan, I enjoy driving the sedan because it is less of a bumpier ride Unless I can get a trade of about $13,000 for the touring which is what kbb says it is worth on a trade, I wouldn't do it.
  • carthellcarthell Member Posts: 130
    Marlenelin, if the ride of the sedan is what you really want and you can cover your loan on your 2009 vehicle comfortably, I'd say go for it. As a wagon fan, I'd say that you're ready for the looney bin (SUV-like cargo haulin' magic without the SUV penalty!!). However if you truly had a need for hauling stuff, you wouldn't have asked the question.
    Hm, now you guys are giving me second thoughts. LOL My college age
    daughter thinks I am nuts too. My husband is upset with me since he has
    always kept his cars for at least ten years. My touring cost me only $2,500
    after trading in a 2004 Toyota Sienna Ltd ($75 a week to fill that tank).
    In the earlier days I needed a large van as I was often hauling five or more
    kids to swim practice and swim meets. When the touring came out I was one
    of the first to buy it. Now I'm almost a senior citizen with no need to
    haul kids, and except for a few more trips to and from college, I doubt I
    would be hauling anything I can't fit in the back seat or trunk. The
    Touring has been paid up since I bought it. I'm figuring with a trade on
    the Touring I should be able to get the 2011 sedan for less than $5,000
    inclusive of taxes and tags, which would cost me about $90 a month for 60
    months. That's just two dinners out a month. As soon as we stop having
    snow storms, I've got to go test drive it before I make a final decision.
  • delaluzdelaluz Member Posts: 48
    It's a shame that they couldn't give the Touring a "nice" ride.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    My kid has an '08 Accent and was able to go to Tires Plus to get new blades to fit which were on sale...think they were Trico Microedge ones. Went two years, probably went over a year, as we live in South Florida which is hard on wiper blades. Just walked in & got it done...had rain last night & what a difference! :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited January 2011
    Marlenelin: we don't think you are nuts; we just feel others' pain when they unnecessarily trade away a well built car. Do you have the GLS or the ES? The GLS is a much better ride due to the smaller tires. The Hyundai ET also is very easy to get in/out of, especially for us aging types. :shades:
    I wish I had the money others do, and be able to buy new cars every 4 years. Like you, I try to keep mine well over 10 years. I had a Corolla wagon for 13 years; a 626 that a deer took car of; a Malibu Maxx that GM tried to make my personal coffin; and now two Vibes (Corollas) and a Hyundai. Right now, I won't buy anything other than Kia/Hyundai. They are rising very quickly and deserve all they are getting. I am done with Toyotas and GMs since they don't build anything I want (wagons) and are too pompous to correct their mistakes. My next car will either be a used Elantra (previous version) or a used ET, or a new Sonata wagon should they send it to our shores in 2012.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    We'll need a new car next year and Hyundai is at the top of our list. Our daughter drives an '08 Accent which is a great little car which I'd be happy to own as a daily driver. This company has come such a long way that we'll look at the Elantra & the Accent 1st. The Cruze looks interesting, but we'll most likely test the Buick model, as it should be a bit more upscale & we've been happy with the Buicks we owned in the '80's & '90's. Not a Chevy fan except for the Corvette.

I'll be keeping my car for about 10 years & we're trying to get her Mazda 3 to 100k miles, a 1st for us. Makes financial sense at this stage in our lives as I've recently retired & due to health issues, I'm not really wanting to go back to any kind of part time work if we can swing it. So keeping our cars as long as possible is a good 1st step. :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I traded it last night. My Touring was a 2009 and it that year there was no GLS and SE. There was only one model which was almost equivalent to the SE in the 2010 version. I was able to get $12,200 for it with 21,400 miles and came away with the 2011 sedan for $5,100. Haven't had chance to drive the new sedan much, except for the ride home from the dealer because of the snow storm. It did start snowing before I left the dealer and it did drive well in light snow. We also had a Corolla wagon for 12 years. That was back in the 80's. In fact, we have owned several Toyotas and were once a Toyota only family. Now we seem to be a Hyundai only family.
    edited January 2011
    sandman_6472 wrote: My kid has an '08 Accent and was able to go to Tires Plus to get new blades to fit which were on sale...think they were Trico Microedge ones.

I checked on Advance Auto Parts and they show a Trico Exact Fit 14-A fits the Accent, so obviously that model has a normal connection. Sadly, they did not choose to do the same for the ET, and it requires a Hyundai-specific part
  • blackandyellowblackandyellow Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2011
    Sometimes when I start vehicle I hear a faint sound that seems to come from the back and reminds of electrical motor of a rear window wiper. :confuse:

- This happens only when it is relatively cold outside (approximately below 35)
    - This happens only when the car is relatively "warm" from the previous run (like if I run out to a grocery store and come back in 5 - 20 min)
    - If I choose to start driving with that sound, it does not seem to go away on its own (at least not within 15-20 min that I kept motor running)
    - The sound always goes away if I re-start the car
    - I checked: the sound is not from a back window wiper nor washer motors. And it seems to come from the vehicle's underside
    - I bought my Touring new in summer 2009. During first winter this sound came up maybe only few times. This winter it is almost every other time when starting "warm".

Anyone has similar experience? Will appreciate your comments.

Thank you!
    Might want to run it by the dealer for a fuel pump check. Pump is in the tank, and sometimes they get noisy and run for years, other times it can be the indication of imminent failure.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    I agree that this is likely, especially if it can be described as a "whining" noise. We've got that going on with a pickup truck with a fuel pump in the gas tank, and apparently, it's not a cheap fix due to labor involved. I'd get it done under warranty if that's applicable, and I wouldn't wait - usually the next symptom is difficult or impossible starting. :(

One tip we were given - don't let the vehicle sit around with low fuel levels (under 1/4 tank) regularly. Apparently, the fuel pumps don't take well to drying out. I can't verify that this is correct, but it was something a mechanic mentioned.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Thank you jlflemmons and kristie_h ---

The sounds is precisely whining with pitch somewhat cyclically chaning over time...

The car is still under warranty (30k miles) so I want to bring it to the dealer.

But the question is, what should I expect from the dealer?

My first concern is that I'm not sure if I'd be able to replicate a whining mode when I go to the dealer. Another thing is that even if I can make it whine, will that be a sufficient symptom for a dealership mechanic to prompt diagnostics/repairs (since functionally the car is working fine).

From your experience, would you please recommend how should I talk this issue to the dealership.

Thank you very much.
    edited January 2011
    I would open with something along the lines of "I have this noise that just started coming from around the fuel tank, it didn't do that before, and I want to get it checked out before it becomes something major." Make sure the service report states that you are reporting noise from the fuel tank area. That way, if they don't replace it right away, you have ammo to use if the pump fails just out of warranty.

I should add that a reputable shop will take care of something like this out of warranty if the issue was reported beforehand. I had a GM product that suffered and expensive failure just out of warranty, and I approached the dealer in a courteous manner, after which they contacted GM, and GM picked up the tab. It happened to be one of those things that should never have failed in 100K miles, much less 14months and 30K miles.
    I appreciate your advise - very helpful. Hope this works for me at the dealer. I will post an update afterwards.
    edited January 2011
    I just found the rear wiper blade on ebay from a seller in Korea. It only cost me $7.98 including shipping, which is even cheaper than the 3rd party brands (and much less than the $22 the dealer quoted me). Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110633906482

I have no relationship to the company other than a (hopefully) happy buyer. I exchanged email with them and the guy told me that it does fit the ET (they have you send the VIN so they can verify).
    So I brought my car into the dealer for the yearly state inspection today. and told the guy who wrote my service order up not to replace the rear blade since I had ordered one. When I picked it up, I discovered that he was the service manager and he told me that he was going to order me one for free (they still did not have it in stock). I told him that I had asked the person at the service desk if they would cover it when I first noticed the problem and the person told me they would not cover it; he said that I should have asked for him in that case. So I am happy with the dealer again. The blade was cheap enough that it's not a big deal having an extra, I'll just hold onto the one from Korea for the next time it needs to be replaced.
    congrats misterbill. I just bought one for my Vibe. Some of the auto parts stores are just now stocking them two years since the model came out.
    The Vibe (at least the 2005 model my daughter has) takes a standard Trico Exact Fit Wiper Blade Part No. 11-A. The ET takes a 12" blade and it does not fit the Trico 12-A or 12-B. As I said before, it's not a matter of the stores not stocking the part (unless one expects them to carry a Hyundai branded part, which I do not). It's a matter of there not being a 3rd party version of the Hyundai part for them to carry.
    http://www.hyundainews.com/Corporate_News/Corporate/2011-01-31_US_News_and_World- _Report_Elantra_Touring.asp

HYUNDAI ELANTRA TOURING NAMED BEST CAR FOR THE MONEY BY U.S. NEWS AND WORLD REPORT

Of course, we all knew this already, but it just shows how smart we are!
    BTW, my rear wiper blade arrived yesterday (less than 2 weeks after ordering). Since we are having crappy weather again, I decided to install it rather than wait for one my dealer ordered for me. It fit perfectly, which is not surprising since it was in Hyundai packaging and was the actual part.
    I am back with update:

The mechanic at the dealership was able to replicate whining sound, confirmed it was a fuel pump and had it replaced (warranty).

Thank you again for your expertise and helpful advice.
    Got to love that warranty. Sounds like you have a good shop.

:shades:
  • vulcanmediatorvulcanmediator Member Posts: 3
    My read wiper came apart at both ends; locating a replacement confirmed that this is a dealer only part. In Ottawa, I was told the price was $48 plus taxes!!
    Not a chance. I went to Canadian Tire and checked out other read blades. If you go to any auto parts place and look at the actual blade, not the mechanism, you will see that they are pretty well all the same.
    I removed the blade from the holder mechanism on the arm (why replace the who arm when onlyl the blade is bad? either bade design, lack of thought or greed) by pulling up on the blade while pushing it through. did the same on the replacement blade ($11.50) and then replaced it on the holding mechanism. I found it easier to work from the bottom , pulling it out past the end of the holder, then doing the top portion.
    G'Day Sir Timbit (how canadian!)

I looked at the Mazda 3 and the Nissan Versa and a few others. What is my biggest complaint about the ET, is the poor gas mileage due to lack of a high enough gear. I first looked at Elantra in the early 90's but even at 80 km/hr i wanted to shift into a higher gear. my 2010 ET is quite quiet, but it revs at 2300 at 90 km/hr. If it drive like I did my previous car, 2000 Saturn LS1, I would get about 12l/100 km not the 7.5 I got with my saturn. My other complaint is the amount of road noise: this is mostly a problem when driving in lots of rain, or even worse, snow and slush.
    But then again, I got a good price: bought it with a set of spare rims and top quality winter tires; rear cargo area cover (should be a standard item), mud flaps, bug hood deflector and something else.. with taxes, it was $22,300 with zero financing costs for 5 years.
    and what is your mileage at 3500 RPM? about 22 mpg?
    Just made a road trip to Houston and back, about 170 miles each way. Fighting a stiff wind going out, 75mph, 29mpg.

Coming back, little or no wind, 75-80mph, 30.4 per the trip computer, calculated about the same.

The engine does rev quite high at those speeds (5spd, has lower ratio final drive) so ~3600 RPM seems to be what I recall. But that is also in the sweet spot for the 2.0L, so it runs there with little effort.

In a remote area with no traffic I have buzzed up to 100mph. Did so with what seemed to be little effort. I had read somewhere that these little beasts are capable of just above 120, but I have never pushed it there.
    grrr. Just had to have the fuel pump replaced on my son's Chevy S-10 Blazer. Tank mounted, and the wholesale cost of the pump was $400. Alltogether about $800.

sheesh.

:sick:
  • strei007strei007 Member Posts: 16
    edited April 2011
    I don't like the valve stems on the tires. They too short and made of weak aluminum instead of corosion proof brass. I added extended valve stems to fix this problem. Now I've got real trouble. This winter two have broke off. The extended valve stems can put too much stress on the aluminum threads of the valve stem. Unfortunately new valve stems cost $150 each to install at the dealer. The valve stems are attached to the tire pressure sensors. Each sensor cost $65. Be real careful when checking air pressure in your tires. You don't want to damage the weak aluminum threads of the valve stem.
  • gwillygwilly Member Posts: 51
    Applies to my 2010 ET 5sp man. trans SE package.

My ET has done this several times: with cruise control on I press in clutch to put car in neutral to coast off freeway and the engine goes to 6500 redline and stays there.

I thought it was supposed to go off when doing these things: pressing on/off button on steering wheel, putting in the clutch and pressing the brake pedal. It freaks me out, because you don't notice what the noise is until it has been doing it for a little while. Then you have to get it to go off.

Am I missing something? Anybody have this happen to them?