Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra Touring 2009 -

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Sounds like the clutch switch is bad, and the cruise doesn't know you have pushed it in. Warranty item, I'd wager.
  • Options
    blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    I dont like them either considering one broke off while I was simply removing the inflator valve. One of two dealers in my area will not replace under warranty, and were actually very adversarial towards me about it. Waiting for the word from the 2nd dealer. A poor quality vehicle thats matched by the service is really a bad combo...
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    sorry blh, but are you talking about the tire pressure monitors (stems on the rims?) If so, one of ours was broken. We don't know how it got that way. The dealership would not fix it under warranty. I just had my mechanic put on a rubber valve. The TPM stays on all the time, but we don't care.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    update- the second dealer in the area will replace it under warranty. Major concern right now is the bad harmonic that occurs at 40 mph...then again at 68mph and and up. Ive mentioned this problem in previous posts...so Ill ask again- anybody with one of these cars have this issue? Dealer acknowledges the issue, but dont have a fix. Meanwhile, theyve put in a Sonata turbo(again). Talk about two cars that are light years apart.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    he, he...too much time between posts blh. Remind us again; which car model are you talking about? I'm assuming an HET, but I thought it worth asking. I bought new tires for my HET. Had an alignment done. The car still pulled. It ended up being the new tires. The dealer rotated them from the front to the back and now the car is fine. I don't know much about tire "runout" but I am concerned that I may have purchased a bad tire from tire rack. Very sad; I'll likely not use them any more.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Yes, its the HET. The pulling isnt as bad as it used to be, but the thing thats quite annoying is the theres no input to offsetting the drift that occurs on a crowned surface. The steering wheel just settles back into the "notch" when you take your hands off the wheel. In the Sonata Im in, you can do that and the steering wheel will stay where its left, and the car tracks straight. Again, this is now secondary to the pulsating vibration I get at the aforementioned speeds. As of this post, car remains at the dealer...
  • Options
    misterbillmisterbill Member Posts: 60
    So apparently Hyundai is killing the Touring and replacing it with what seems to be a smaller GT (familiar name). Here's a link to an article from the Chicago Auto Show. Very disappointed, since the new model seems to have much less cargo room (51 vs 65). I really wanted to see Hyundai come out with something that looked like the Elantra sedan (or better yet, the Sonata) but in a hartchback.

link title
  • Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    I wish I could find the article, but I read that the "new" Elantra GT is actually the new European I30. Hyundai decided with the body change the I30 would be rebaged as the GT instead of the Touring. Read this in one of the automobile journals, but cannot recall the correct name.
  • Options
    hcahca Member Posts: 3
  • Options
    hcahca Member Posts: 3
    How can I access the right front side marker light to replace the bulb on a 2010 Elantra Touring GLS? It isn't discussed in the owners manual, and there doesn't appear to be an easy access to the socket. I hate to have to take it to a dealer just to replace a light bulb, but I don't see how you can gain access without taking the fender liner out, or dropping a lot of panels under the car. What am I missing?
  • Options
    eba55eba55 Member Posts: 20
    I have an 09 with the 17" Alloys. I hate them and the stiff ride, but at the time I wanted a sunroof and this was the only way to get it. Can anyone recommend specific tires that may offer a slightly smoother ride? I've also considered switching the wheels to smaller steel ones to get a smoother ride. Has anyone done this? Thanks for any feedback :confuse:
  • Options
    canoenutcanoenut Member Posts: 12
    I bought the Touring with 15" tires after reading road test after road test stating that the 17" model had a stiffer ride. I was surprised to learn directly from Hyundai that there is absolutely 'No difference in the suspensions of the two models'!!! You might test drive a Touring with 15" wheels, however I believe that it won't give you a less stiff ride.
  • Options
    if you do go to a dealer for a ride comparison, make sure you take a tire guage with you to ensure the tires are set at 34 instead of the 50+ pounds they are set at from the factory for shipping. Many dealers forget to lower the pressure. You then have a miserable test drive experience. Certainly the 15 inch tires provide a nicer ride. To figure out whether you can switch to the smaller wheel+tire, you will have to determine if the bolt pattern is the same, as well as the offset. You can do a search on the internet using elantra-touring-bolt-pattern as your search terms and read all the banter.
  • Options
    The installation process will begin on tuesday; wish me luck. I am uncertain whether I am getting a new unit (since it took over 3 weeks to get the part) or a refurbished unit. Either way, I am most concerned about whether Hyundai techs have figured out why so many 2010 ET transmissions are failing (valve body?) and if the answers will be incorporated into the new unit i will be getting, or will it be as Roger Daltrey sang: "meet the new transmission; same as the old transmission"
  • Options
    the dealer got it installed in one day. So far, it seems just fine. With only 44,000 miles, I guess I have 56,000 left to go on this transmission. I had a Sonata Limited as my loaner. I'm missing the automatic backup camera already. Very nice car except for the lines of sight.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The owner's manual does not list the series/size of the battery. Mine is dying after only 3 years and 3 months. I am now 3 months out of warranty according to the warranty manual. Does anyone know the proper series? I have queried several auto parts websites, but they come back with conflicting numbers. I'm about to go to Costco and look in their books. Anyone know?