Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Tribeca High Pitched Noise 08 and 09 Models

nomoresubarunomoresubaru Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Subaru
I purchased a 2008 Subaru Tribeca about 6 months ago. Like many of you, I loved the car. Soon after getting the car I noticed a high pitched noise when the engine was warm and I was stepping on the gas pedal at about 65 mph. I brought the car to Delray Subaru in Delray Beach, Florida for service on this issue. After a number of visits, Dave Adams the Service Manager rode with me and verified the noise. It was most distinct at 2200 RPMs and 62 1/2 miles per hour. He said he would review it with Carmine the Subaru District Manager. I was told that Carmine and Dave test drove at least 3 other 2008 and 2009 Tribecas and found the same noise. I was told that the factory would evaluate the situation and find a solution. After two weeks of no responses, I called Dave Adams who had no information but assured me that Subaru was looking into the problem. I called Subaru of North America and was told they would look into it. Today I received a call from a Kevin Shumaker of Subaru who advised me that he confirmed there was an issue, but that Subaru had no intention of further investigating the noise. I asked him what caused the noise. He said they did not know.

The noise is quite loud as the engine gets hot. Yes, a radio could mask the noise. However, the radio is not appropriate all the time.

Before you buy a Tribeca, you might see if this noise bothers you as it does me. Maybe someone out there knows if the noise is a problem in the functioning of the car. Subaru certainly made it clear to me that they do not care.

Comments

• paul69mustangpaul69mustang Member Posts: 3
    Nomoresubaru,

Would you please give an update? I believe I'm experiencing the same issue and have an appt. with the dealer. Did you determine the cause and fix?

Thanks
  • paul69mustangpaul69mustang Member Posts: 3
    I just located this thread describing what appears to be the very same issue with a Hyundai. http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=7643&st=0
    In that case, the transmission was the culprit.

Nomoresubaru, whatever happened with your vehicle?

Thanks
  • birdyloverbirdylover Member Posts: 3
    Have them look at the Exhaust Heat Shield. Mine was coming loose and causing a severe whine on fast acceleration at 3000 rpm.
  • toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    My 2008 was built in Sept. 2007. The only high pitched sound is when the Blizzaks are mounted for the winter season. :P
This discussion has been closed.