Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Heating / Cooling Problems

lorimslorims Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Mazda
We have a 2009 Mazda5 that we totally love. Handles like a car but fits everyone nicely. But...

The rear vent only blows cool or a/c'ed air and not warm air. It's cold up here in Canada and the kids (well, one of them) is complaining about there being only cool air from the vent.

Has anyone had some sort of retrofit done in order to get warm air to come out of the 2nd row cold air blower?

Comments

• stillageekstillageek Member Posts: 114
    Warm air will come from UNDER the front seats. There are vents under each front seat for warm air. It comes out pretty quickly. I know of no way to get warm air from the vents on the back of the console.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I would think that if you set the front to the top vents and heat, then the heat might come out the rear center vents as well?
  • kivokivo Member Posts: 64
    Mazda does list the back vents as cool air vents.
  • adatesmanadatesman Member Posts: 1
    You'd think that, but apparently no. We bought a 5 a couple weeks ago and just took it in for service and figured while it was there we'd have them look into the fact that there's no heat in back. Their answer: its rear A/C, not heat. Not all that happy with that answer, we wandered over to the sales floor. Our salesman had the day off, so we asked another one who was understandably confused... Why wouldn't it blow hot air when the front was set to heat?

I've yet to be in a minivan that didn't have heat in the back and am none too happy about the explanation given by the service department earlier today or the disconnect between service and sales (service- "duh, there's no coolant hoses going back there for a heater so of course there's no heat", sales- "whaddaya mean it blows cold air?").

Something tells me our salesman is going to field a particularly unhappy call tomorrow.....

Have to say, not so thrilled with our first Mazda experience so far.
  • daharondaharon Member Posts: 24
    The heat comes out at foot level from always-open vents in the flooring underneath the driver and front passenger seats. The central visible rear vents are fan/AC only. This is in your owners manual somewhere, along with a suggestion that you not block the flow of warm air by stowing stuff in the second-row footwell.
    Does it actually provide much heat to the second row? I don't know. The kids have yet to complain. Of course, they can't yet talk.
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    Correct! Hot from the bottom of the seats(if you look underneath you can actually see the vents) and Cold from the rear of the center console.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    On my Freestyle, the rear vents blows whatever the front vents blows. So if you have the front vents on with heat, the rear vent will also blow heat. But if you have the front heat set to the floor vents only, then there won't be any warm air coming out of the rear vents, but there will from the under-seat ducts. If you set the control to both the floor and dash vents and heat, you should get heat in the second row from both the center vent, as well as the under seat ducts.

So as an experiment, set the front to vents only, turn the fan to high and full heat, then see what comes out of the rear vents.
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    I'm not providing an answer here but if you are looking for an explanation from Mazda:

Although it is not very visible at first glance, if you look carefully, on top of the buttons it says "COOL AIR"

Not too much info, but I guess that helps Mazda wash its hands of any dealer miscommunication :confuse:

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/S/L/1/ag_08mazda5_rearac.jpg
This discussion has been closed.