Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox AWD in snow?

moskymosky Member Posts: 2
I just bought a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox AWD. Can anyone tell how well these vehicles travel in snow?

Comments

• mjmatmjmat Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 LS AWD, which I got in August 07, and had my first winter with it last winter. I live in Chicago, and last year was a fairly snowy winter. Chicago had 3 major Winter Storms and one major ICE storm.

I'm really happy with how the Equinox handled the snow and ICE. It was very sure footed. Note that you still have to use caution when driving, but not once in all of that snow did the Equinox ever go sideways. When pulling out from a stop sign (where the street had snow covered ice) the front wheels initially slipped but the car didn't go sideways. It was at first strange, because when the front initially spun I expected the car to go sideways. But with the AWD the Equinox's back end just pushed it straight.

Corning in snow the Equinox very sure footed. With the AWD and higher ground clearance, the Equinox is a very good SUV for snow. Even in an ICE storm, I felt comfortable driving it; the 07's also have stability control standard which helps. The four wheel disk and anti-lock breaks (standard in 07) are also a huge plus on snow and ICE.

The Equinox is the best winter car (?) that I've ever had; it's also my first SUV. Over all, because of the price, interior space, performance and snow characteristics, the Equinox is one of the best cars (?) that I've ever owned (The other being an '84 Honda Prelude - which may seem strange at first. But both cars(?) performed exactly as I wanted them to) :)
  • grosloupgrosloup Member Posts: 239
    Mine is a 2005 LT It's great in winter but remember a AWD is not the same as a 4X4. Lots of people are confused they think it's the same. You drive normally and when your front wheels spin the back wheels kick in automatically and you get traction on all 4. Then when your front wheels spinning is over the rear wheels disengage and so on. You only have to put your Nox in drive and have fun.... but still DRIVE WITH CAUTION.
  • runoxrunox Member Posts: 156
    While AWD is a big advantage in the snow, there is value all year round. Have you ever hydroplaned go 50-55 mph? Not a good feeling. The AWD also kicks in if slippage occurs while running in a stream of water accumulating in the tire ruts of an asphalt highway in July. Mileage ? If have a 4cyl AWD 2010 and I'm getting a tad over 27 at 70% highway/30% city and 23.5 when my driving is 30% highway/ 70% city and I've got a lot of rolling hills here that erode the mpg on the climb and a lot of stop lights that erode off the start. Reading what the mpg is for others with FWD, the AWD is well worth it.
  • dean53dean53 Member Posts: 2
    We had our first winter in our Eqi last year. We live in the upstate area of South Carolina and get mostly ice-storms. Not a lot of snow. The road was solid ice last year. Our 07 was very surprising as to how sure-footed it was! We have a hill out of the road we live on that our other vehicles have difficulty climbing during icy conditions. Our Eqi didn't spin at all and navigated all the rolling hills in the area without slipping or sliding sideways. We are very pleased with the safety the AWD offers! :)
  • back2frontback2front Member Posts: 42
    I live in central Illinois and we get plenty of snow, last winter after coming home from work and our uphill driveway had about 6 inches of snow the Nox ran right up it and into the garage. I can't remember how many times our other cars couldn't make it until the driveway was shoveled out. Absolutely no complaints here.
  • thu10661thu10661 Member Posts: 1
    Real time 4wheel drive is when the front tires start to slip and the back tires kick in, AWD and 4wheel drive are the same But 4wheel drive has 4 hi and 4 low. Thats why the AWD equinox gets 29 on highways causes it is always on
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    edited September 2011
    To clarify the difference between AWD (which the Equinox & most other SUV's have) and 4WD is this: AWD is a system in which the primary drive axle (in the Equinox is the front axle, in my Jeep Commander is the rear axle) only powers the primary drive axle under normal circumstances. When the computer detects a difference between the rotational speed between the front and rear wheels it sends commands to the transfer case (which is located directly at the end of the transmission). The computer tells the transfer case how to apply the power to which axle to gain traction. In AWD systems the front and rear axle are never directly connected to each other. Most of these AWD systems can distribute power to seperate axles up to 90%. So in the case of the Equinox when you are driving down the road normally 100% of the drivetrain power goes to the front axles. When the computer detects wheelspin or rotational differences it could send up to 90% of the drivetrain power to the rear axles to try to correct the imbalance. The computer is constantly monitoring this thousands of times per second while you drive. Many AWD systems are also integrated into crash avoidance situations where the driver exceeds pre programmed parameters (panic stops, panic lane changes, hard cornering etc...) and work in tandem with Anti-Lock Braking Systems to try to maintain control. There is a lot going on in modern drivetrains that we as drivers take for granted. Somebody had to design, program and test all of this for each manufacturer. And they all are different. So all of that sounds pretty good until you realize that AWD systems are a reactive system that don't engage until after there is a problem. So if you are driving through snow or ice and not spinning you are only in either FWD or RWD. That is why many people with AWD systems will spin out trying to navigate corners or turn because until the point they turn everything is hunky dory. Now all of a sudden you're not turning or maybe you're sliding so the instinct is to jam on the brakes which activates the ABS but does nothing to help you out except prevent the wheels from locking up (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). What you should do is give the vehicle some throttle to get all 4 wheels working to help you out. I know that sounds counter intuitive but that's the only way the AWD system will engage.

4WD is where the front and rear axles are directly connected through the transfer case all of the time mechanically. Usually believe it or not with a chain in the transfer case. True 4WD systems cannot be operated in 4WD on hard surfaces. Having both axles physically joined together on hard surfaces is no bueno. It causes a lot of stress on the transfer case and differentials. I have personally seen transfer cases fail in less than 100 miles of being operated on paved surfaces. That is why there is a lever on the floor of pickups or some SUV's to manually engage the transfer case.

What about the new pickups and SUV's that have push button selection of AWD, 4WD, Center Differential Lock or 4WD Low? In normal mode AWD it's just like the Equinox, ready to split power to whichever axle needs it. In 4WD & 4WD Low it physically connects the two axles together to provide you with constant power to both axles providing the maximum amount of traction and control.

Which is better? From a pure technical standpoint true 4WD is always better than AWD. Your front and rear axles are physically connected but you can't operate on hard surfaces. So although this doesn't apply to the Equinox because you don't have a choice if you have a vehicle that allows you to select your drive mode leave it in AWD until the road becomes snow, ice, mud etc.. covered then select 4WD or Center Differential Lock. This will give you the maximum amount of traction available.

Sorry this is so verbose, but there is a lot of confusion and misinformation out there.