Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    That Kennedy is such a hypocrit. Now I don't have any problems with the automakers increasing the CAFE but they better not lose power. I like my power. I drive a 8 cyl 5.0 Mustang and I love it. I am interested in those superpowered SUVs they have shown at some autoshows. I guess they will have less than 10 mpg. Oh well.
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    I don't know if anyone has already said this, but I read that the 4Runner and Highlander will be getting a third row of seats in the near future.
  • sovangsovang Member Posts: 56
    I have a very strange problem with my 2003 4runner SR5. I took it in two days ago my 3000 mile oil change and after that, the head light auto cut off system no longer works. So what happened?? Is there an easy fix? The problem are as follows:
    1. The headlights used to turn off automatically after 30 seconds---now it doesn't except when you manually turn it off from inside.

2. The headlights used to turn off when I press the lock button twice, now it doesn't.

3. All other features described in the manual regarding auto cut off no longer work.

I also noticed that when I got the vehicle from the dealer, the black cover under the front passenger glove box was improperly re-installed. Do either of you know whether an oil change service require access to this panel??

Thanks,

SV
  • backroadfanbackroadfan Member Posts: 22
    Does anyone know the proper steps to remove the side rails of the factory roof rack on a 2003 Sport model ? I am considering some customization for a canoe mount and I want to get the rails off temporarily without damaging the seals or mounts. I took a look at it and it was not obvious how the front and rear attachment points are bolted down.

Thanks for any feedback.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I was baffled the first time you posted that problem. I've never heard of anything like it. I would take it to the dealer and ask the service guys what happened.
  • rentschlrentschl Member Posts: 69
    Just got back from a round-trip to Vail from my house in Ft. Collins. For those not familiar with the area, that drive is ALOT of elevation gain. The driving pace ranged from 85 on dry pavement to full-on winter driving conditions at lower speeds. I got 18.7 MPG which is pretty good for that route.

It's really fun to drive. Plenty of power on the long climbs and great handling!

-Eric
    Eric,

I also live in colorado and I was wondering what is the octane rating of the gas you are using? I read an article that steve gave me and it said that due to the altitude in Colorado, you can use 85 octane. I buy my gas at Costco and they only have 85 and 91.

Thanks,

SV
  • rickwil61rickwil61 Member Posts: 23
    I just had an Alpine 7894 installed in my 2003 4Runner today. I got it at Soundtrack in Boulder and they did the installation for me. I was kind of nervous about it but I talked to them before hand and they semed like they knew what they were doing. Anyhow the installation turned out great. They used an installation kit for a Toyota Echo since they didn't have the 2003 4Runner kit. There is now a small storage space under the CD player where the tape player used to be. It looks clean and I have no complaints. I couldn't see anyplace where they damaged any of the plastic or anything else on the console as a result of the installation (and I looked too!).

I'm also pleased with the stereo itself. I'm using it with the factory speakers and it sounds pretty good to me. If someone can show me a way to post a picture on this message board I will post a picture of the install. Otherwise anyone who wants to see it can post their email address and I will send it to them.
    SV,

I have only been using 87, since I that's what the owner's manual recommends. I believe it also said that for added performance you can use 91. I haven't tried that yet.

Before your post, I hadn't heard anything about using 85.

Where is that article that Steve got you?

-Eric
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If someone can show me a way to post a picture on this message board I will post a picture of the install.

Click on "Town Hall Help" at the top left of this page for information on posting pictures. Basically, you need to find a place to store your picture then create a link to it in your posting.

tidester, host
  • russhwrusshw Member Posts: 3
    has any one installed a Dual Remote Filter System or had one give out on them

http://www.thebestoil.com/dual_remote.htm
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    I am not sure of your radio/controller questions...In my 99, I had the upgrade pkg that included the premium stereo with controller,so, when I went to add the factory 6 disc player, it was a piece of cake (as far as dealer installation was). All I can tell you is that you will know that you have the right one by looking at the face and the buttons that are on it?? Sorry, not much help here:(
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    Also from Colorado. In general, I've used 85 octane in my current vehicles (98 Audi A4 / 95 Subaru Legacy) without problems. 87 may be better overall, though.

Still waiting for my 2003 Limited V8 to get in, hopefully I'll have it in within a couple weeks. I had to find someone to do a dealer trade to get it in the color I wanted. Glad to hear someone's actually getting close to the 19 highway MPG with that vehicle. I'll probably be taking mine on a 2400 mile trip in late March, I'll try and track my mileage on that.
  • fudge123fudge123 Member Posts: 12
    Cliffy1,
    Your comments about Limp Home Mode were similar to those made by the service center. The mechanic told me that the engine experienced a problem (the back fire from bad gas) and went into protect mode. He said if I would have pulled over, turned the car off and back on again, chances are the computer would have reset and I would have been able to drive normally. Oh well, I'll know better for next time! Hopefully there won't be a next time!
    Thanks,
    Gary
  • ricadriasricadrias Member Posts: 17
    i am looking for a grille guard for my 2003 4runner. waag.com does not have it for the 03 model year yet. anybody knows where i can get it?
    i live in southern california
    I have been searching as well and so far, I have only found two.

suvxccessory.com --- Aries offroad grille
    aztrucks.com --- Westin Sportsman grille

SV
  • knockoffknockoff Member Posts: 72
    Sounds like the 3 finger salute Microsoft has taught us!
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I love it when I guess something and am right!
    to sovang

what do you mean you are also looking?
    what is wrong with westin from aztrucks or
    the aries from suvxccessory? are they inferior from waag? why haven't you bought it yet?
    and why are you still looking when you have already found it?
    The reason I have not bought one of them is because I really want a bumper guard and not ly a grille guard. In my search, I came across these two grille guards. I don't have any personal experience with either brand. If anyone have experience with these two brands, perhaps they can share here.

SV
    what is the difference between a grille guard
    from a bumper guard? aren't they both supposed
    to protect your bumber from crashes?

also, if anyone knows, is it a good idea to
    install a ball mount in the tow hitch?
    the pros of the ball mount is they protect your
    bumper and discourages tailgaters, while someone
    said that if you crash, it will damage the frame?
  • lynleytlynleyt Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone installed an XM radio adapter in their 2003 4Runner? Does the JBL sound system have an input that can be used or do you need an fm modulator? Would appreciate anyone's experience with this. I'm hoping to be in a new 4Runner Limited V8 in the next week or so.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the XM & Sirius Satellite Radio discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • fishingguyfishingguy Member Posts: 34
    funny, I just got a quote on an Alpine 7892 today. I should be getting my 4runner next week (have been waiting for 4X4 with appearance). Thanks for the tip on the Echo kit. My quote was from cartunes in Atl and it was clear that they had not done an install on an 03 4runner. I will likely go with XM tuner, component speakers in front and coax in back -- about $1,200 installed. I guess I am rationalizing it since I keep my vehicles for 10 years or better and managed to get a Limited-like 4X4 for about $31k (leather, roof rack, 16" wheel upgrade and appearance). How do you like the XM if you got it? Where did they mount the antennae? I am a little bit worried about mount in back in case I throw a small boat on top for fishing. I am looking at my new vehicle as a "poor man's Land Cruiser." I hope I am not disappointed.
    I read in another forum where a guy also used a Rav 4 kit, with some modifications to the kit. The Echo kit works pretty good, however there is a small gap along the bottom, maybe 1/8th of an inch or so, where the storage compartment doesn't quite come out flush with the front of the console. It doesn't look bad and isn't obvious unless you look for it. I don't have a public web page or any place that I can make my pictures publicly available so I can't post a link to a picture of my installation. I can email it to you if you give me your email address.

As for the XM radio, I didn't get it. I figure that putting 10 hours of MP3s on a single disc is about as good as having my own radio station (with no commercials of course). The factory speakers sound pretty decent with the Alpine. You may want to give them a try with your new stereo before replacing them.

But hey 31K is a great price on a Limited! I got my SR5 for 27,686. The only options on it were the roof rack, 17" wheels, and fog lights. I got it about $500 under invoice. I kind of wonder if these things aren't moving slow and maybe dealers are having to come down more to make the sale. I don't think it's because of any problem with the vehicle but people are nervous about the war, economy, etc. I'm pretty happy with my 4Runner and am glad I took the plunge.
  • fishingguyfishingguy Member Posts: 34
    Although I should probably give the factory speakers a try, I know that if I do not take the plunge right away I will never do it. Even with the "gap" you mentioned, would you still go aftermarket on the audio? On the vehicle I am supposed to get next week, it also includes the color-keyed running boards. I think my pricing is about invoice +$400. That is a fair price since the dealer had to do a bit of work to find a 4X4 V8 with appearrance pkg and little other options. Then he had to take care of leather, wheels and running boards at port (or so he says). I probably could wait a bit longer but have been waiting for appearance pkg since I first heard about it. My ole Explorer is huffin' and weasin' so I am pretty anxious for my poor man's Land Cruiser.
  • sween77sween77 Member Posts: 31
    Just bought a 2003 V8 4RUNNER its a great machine. However I have noticed a sulfur smell coming out of the exhaust. Is this anything to be concerned with?

I also want to thank Cliffy and Toytaken for their advice. It was very beneficial during purchase.
  • chortonchorton Member Posts: 149
    All toyota's have a foul smell untill the the inner sealing burns off and totally seals the exhaust system, this normally takes about 75-100 miles or so. When has car exhaust ever smelled good anyway? Don't worry about it unless it continues for a long period of time.
    For anyone that wants shop manuals...

Call: Toyota Service Publications: (800)622-2033

Item P/N Price

Vol. 1 (Diagnostic & Troubleshooting) RM1001U1 $103.13

Vol. 2 (Engine, Body & Chassis) RM1001U2 $103.13

Electrical Manual EWD514U $67.50

V6 Supplement RM1034 $8?.??

If you've got the V6 you need the "V6 Supplement" which is eighty something dollars more.

Interestingly, the owners manual (that covers both the V6 & V8) says nothing about the Electrical manual but does point out the V6 supplement (without mentioning that it's a V6 supplent only).

-Eric
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    I was wondering, how usefull are these to ordinary people? Are they easy to read for a average car knowledge person, or do you need a mechanics cert. to understand them? Also, on the same note, would they all (or any) be usefull considering the current trend of computerization of cars, in that, without the computer, can we as owners do any diagnostics/repairs anyway??

I would love to get these books when my truck finally arrives from overseas, but I don't want to spend $200+ on books if they are useless to me, only if they would be usefull for me in saving money down the road with my own repairs, or second-guessing the mechanics.

Thanks
    -Jared
  • claddingsuxscladdingsuxs Member Posts: 11
    Well....after getting smacked in the face by toyota (releasing appearance packages months after releasing the sr5) i cannot handle the fact that i see all these sr5's with limited look for only $400 more.

Here is my situation. I wanted the new 4-runner and i wanted a white limited. They didnt make a white limited. So i had to decide wether to get a limited in a color i didnt like or just stick with the sr5 white and get all the options like the limited. Is the appearance package offered on all SR5 colors? Reason why i asked was i called my toyota parts to order the limited fenders to replace my currents ones so that i can have the limited look. The part guy told me that they come pre painted from toyota. Well since there is no limited white....there wasent the white ones to choose. I assume if the appearance package is offered in the white SR5 i should now be able to order these parts painted white from toyota. Anyone know if this is possible? Thanks!
  • jbhncjbhnc Member Posts: 16
    For anyone waiting for Thule to approve a rack for 03 4runners, they have a fit now.

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/fg_foot.asp?make=Toyota&sku=&- amp;car_id=6827&year=2003&factory_id=1&Continue.x=15&- amp;Continue.y=13

Happy Trails - J
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    My last Toyota shop manuals were for our '98 4Runner. I think that if you're mechanically inclined enough to be considering the purchase of a set of manuals, you'll be able to understand what's in them. But don't expect them to contain basic stuff on the level of Auto Shop 101.

On our '98, I was disappointed at the number of operations that required either special diagnostic equipment or special factory tools. For example, to change the cam belt you needed a special factory tool to hold the crankshaft while you tightened the sprocket nut. The word on the forums was that without this tool, you'd be unable to tighten the nut to the specified 175 lb/ft, and it would loosen up and destroy the nose of the crankshaft.

OTOH, the manuals will have every detail re torque specs, capacities, recommended repair procedures, etc. At today's labor charge ($70/hr is common), it doesn't take much of a repair to recover even the high cost of the manuals. I plan to get them for our '03. Typically, when you sell a vehicle you can resell the manuals separately and recover 50% or so of what you paid.

-Karl
    Yeah I think aftermarket is a good way to go. I'm really happy with my Alpine so far. I would have liked to have gotten the JBL factory system but I had to get the moon roof to get the stereo and I didn't want the moon roof.

Here's a link to a picture of someone else's installation. They used an install kit from American International and I believe it has just came out for the 2003 4Runner. It's a pretty good looking install.

http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?threadid=6721&goto=new- post
  • russhwrusshw Member Posts: 3
    I love my clad :>}
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    Bought it through carsdirect.com, their price was as good as the best dealer-negotiated price around here, after you take into account the differences in doc fees. They were able to get it for us in our desired Pacific Blue.

Now hopefully we'll get lots of snow to get rid of this stupid drought....
    Thanks for answering all my questions. I probably will buy at least one manual, but I don't know about the electrical manual. I am going to have the V-6, so I'll probably get the V-6 add-on book as well. Considering my truck is coming in may, I have a big list of things to buy already:

Shop Manuals,
    Weathertech mats and cargo mat,
    grill gaurd with winch (haven't found that yet),
    flood lights (piaa or hilights),
    K&N air filter,

bah humbug

-Jared
  • nhopper1nhopper1 Member Posts: 21
    Trust me, the sulpher smell does NOT go away with time. The V-8 and to some degree the V-6 smell under medium to heavy accelleration. It's the richer fuel mixture overwhelming the catalytic converter. The smell dissipates after a minute or so once the accelleration ceases. Keeping the rear and side/rear windows shut usually helps.

Regards -Neil
  • sween77sween77 Member Posts: 31
    Do all of the Runners have this problem or is it hit and miss?
    The dealers want everyone to believe that the "computerization" of everything will make it impossible for the average do-it-youselfer to fix anything.

What a joke!

Pretty much every normal wear-and-tear item (the bulk of work for most cars) has nothing to do with computers and is as simple as ever to work on. For example, consider the following:

-Brakes: pads & rotors, same as ever (note that brakes have gotten easier now that everything is 4-wheel disc (disc easier than drum))
    -Exhaust: no computers here
    -Vaious filters: same
    -Spark Plugs/wires: same (although I'm guessing that with the new Toyota ignition systems, you never need to change spark plug wires anymore: no high voltage sent over long wires, high voltage local to module at plug only)
    -Fluids: same
    -Light bulbs: same

Even when some odd-ball assesory goes bad, it usually does not depend on a computer.

The computer arguement only starts to apply when some engine sensor goes out. With the computer diagnostic tool (that the do-it-youselfers don't usually have) these type of problems are easy to troubleshoot.

That's my $0.02.

-Eric
    The dealers want everyone to believe that the "computerization" of everything will make it impossible for the average do-it-youselfer to fix anything.

What a joke!

Pretty much every normal wear-and-tear item (the bulk of work for most cars) has nothing to do with computers and is as simple as ever to work on. For example, consider the following:

-Brakes: pads & rotors, same as ever (note that brakes have gotten easier now that everything is 4-wheel disc (disc easier than drum))
    -Exhaust: no computers here
    -Vaious filters: same
    -Spark Plugs/wires: same (although I'm guessing that with the new Toyota ignition systems, you never need to change spark plug wires anymore: no high voltage sent over long wires, high voltage local to module at plug only)
    -Fluids: same
    -Light bulbs: same

Even when some odd-ball assesory goes bad, it usually does not depend on a computer.

The computer arguement only starts to apply when some engine sensor goes out. With the computer diagnostic tool (that the do-it-youselfers don't usually have) these type of problems are easy to troubleshoot.

That's my $0.02.

-Eric
  • burt2burt2 Member Posts: 8
    Took delivery on Monday in black. Appearance pkg makes all the difference. FYI - when you get the appearance pkg it is exactly like the limited monochrome. Also I got black running boards and black roof rack. IMHO - looks better than silver on LTD.
  • jcla7jcla7 Member Posts: 18
    It actually looks more like your $0.04 worth.....

jc
    So I guess with the dupe, we are up to $.04 eh?

I completely agree with you that most of the service costs do not require the computer, and that a lot of money could be saved there. I was only concerned with the fact that I'm going from a '95 chevy to a '03 toyota where there seems to be 1,000 abreviations (ABS, VSC, DAC, HAC, etc.), and I know on my chevy, my damn "Check Engine" light is all but impossible to fix on my own because of the computer requirement.

Thanks for your response, I probably still will get the manuals.

-Jared
    Okay, I just wrote a couple paragraphs regarding my distress with the sulfur problem, but my post got lost somehow, and since I don't feel like typing it all over again, let me shorten it up.

What's the story with the sulfur problem?
    I thought it was only with older 4runners, I guess this is not true now, so why hasn't toyota fixed this problem yet?
    Why does it seem that people are so content with this problem like it's a common thing?
    And finally,
    Why is the only solution to "roll up your windows"?

Don't mean to sound rude or insulting, I was more graceful in my message that was lost.

-Jared
  • china7china7 Member Posts: 3
    Burt2: Might be closing on the same 4runner tomorrow - sr5 v8 w/ appearance package - titanium
    - Could you tell me the cost and what accessories you have? Congrats on your puchase .. I must also say thanks to others that have given their input. Especially regarding the appearance package coming out ... It does make the difference
  • burt2burt2 Member Posts: 8
    2003 4 Runner SR 5 V-8 4WD, moonroof, aluminum wheels,running boards,roof rack, appearance pkg,and conv pkg. $30,600 plus tt&l.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Unless you're a mechanic or an aspiring one, a Chilton or Haynes Manual is probably all you need. They probably are not out yet for the 2003 4Runner but they are usually between 15 and 30 bucks at your local auto parts store.
  • 4runnerpilot4runnerpilot Member Posts: 18
    QUICK!!!! Can anyone tell me what the disadvantages are on a Canadian-made 4runner. I can get a real spectacular deal on one, but was hesitant because first its "made in canada", and second its got 460 miles on it.
    But it has about all the options, but no navigation.
    Its a V8 LTD. 4X4, for $36,900, $500 BELOW INVOICE.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    for starters....

What You Need to Know About Canadian Cars in the U.S.:Gray Area

This link may be of interest too:

steve_ "Honda CR-V" Feb 15, 2003 11:22pm

Steve, Host