Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Venza Crossover

Comments

• qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    Thank you for answering for the Toyota rep...

Sorry, I wasn't aware that this turned into a private forum for Toyota to answer questions.

Good luck on your search. You may also want to look at the Nissan Murano; I've already seen off-rental 2009 S AWD models dip below $20K. I'm hoping the Venza will hold its value better.
  • goosegoose Member Posts: 77
    I test drove a 4 cyl yesterday. The ride was quiet, well mannered. Not only was road noise under control but load traffic noise was kept out. I hopped into the back seat. It was comfortable. I reclined the back seat and paid attention to the leg room. It was a little awkward getting out of the back seat. The dash and instrument cluster looked good and the buttons had a good feel to them. The engine was fine. I don't expect it to pull a trailer. However it still felt more than adequate with two adults with AC running. I'm sure it will do fine with four adults and AC running. The ability to carry items looked good. The back seat went 95 percent flat. It basically looked flat and the cargo capacity was big.
    The only complaint is interior color. The current colors easily show dirt and shoe scoffs. I would seriously consider the car if it came with a black interior. My current ride is a 2008 Civic Coupe and its very noisy compared to the Venza. I also test drove most of the current Acura products last weekend. The Venza was much quieter than those products except for the MDX. The MDX and Venza were about the same noise wise. Of course the Venza is approximately $10K less.
  • normvenza09normvenza09 Member Posts: 36
    "I reclined the back seat and paid attention to the leg room. It was a little awkward getting out of the back seat." I did not find it to be awkward. I find the leg and head space to be sufficient. Did you recline the seat back to the original position?
    The only complaint is interior color. The current colors easily show dirt and shoe scoffs. I would seriously consider the car if it came with a black interior.

At our local auto show a couple weeks ago, I noticed a lot of vehicles with all black interiors. It was across both ends of the spectrum -- compacts to luxury cars.

Personally, I like the contrasting light and dark interior of the Venza, especially the black carpet that matches the dash. I do agree, though -- the light colored surface is going to be fun to keep clean. This is my first car with leather, so I'll need to research what's recommended for leather care soon.
  • sns1sns1 Member Posts: 4
    I went to the dealership March 16 (in Missouri), it took two tries (3 weeks) to get the order/request through. My Venza is scheduled to be built the week of May 4 and it will be 2-3 weeks later before it arrives at the dealership...oh the torture to wait so long (but it will be worth getting exactly what I wanted).
    Hope that helps, Good luck! :)
  • david_k1david_k1 Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the info...
    I suppose I'll have to push a little more on the dealer to get our venza closer to the "build" stage...
    Best
  • toyotaslasttoyotaslast Member Posts: 15
    i keep reading about some of you guys ordering your venza, please tell me how well did you do on your deal? i thought it wound be tuff to get a good deal ordering it? any help with this before i start my search for my venza.
  • lal_cltlal_clt Member Posts: 29
    I ordered my FWD V6 Venza and got about $3500 of MSRP. I'm also elegible for any incentives that come out when the car is delivered. It helped that I shopped around and talked to Fitzmall and Carmax so I was able to bring those prices to the table. Just got a note from my dealer that the car I ordered on March 13th will be built in early May and should arrive about the 3rd week of May. Yea!
  • DAGHVACDAGHVAC Member Posts: 18
    it is called a matrix
  • david_k1david_k1 Member Posts: 39
    I started with figuring out the car of our dreams and then used this site (Edmonds) and this site: http://www.carbuyingtips.com/ to help me come up with a true INVOICE price. I drove a few Venzas in the meantime trying to figure out which powertrain we wanted and then went and talked/negotiated with the dealer for price.
    This is the post (#170) from the "prices paid" I made a few weeks ago:
    "In the works soon...
    A RED with grey leather, FWD V6, Premium #2, Pano Roof, JBL Audio, Mats and Bumper protector for $32,400.
    From a very nice Kitsap County, WA dealer.
    Now the wait!!
    THIS will be the tough part.."
    My thought (flawed??) is that a dealer would LOVE to SELL a car, on the lot or not AND if the car never sits on the lot, they never pay Toyota to "rent" it in the interim - sounds like profit to me...
    Best of luck to you...
  • rob20895rob20895 Member Posts: 3
    We just placed the following order,
    4cyl, FWD plus,
    JBL Premium Audio (EJ)
    Convenience Package (CQ)
    Security Package (SA)
    Floor/Cargo Mats

Price was $26,500, plus $100 dealer fee, plus TTL

We were happy with this price especially for a built to order vehicle, although I am sure you can do better. We live in MD and so the Fitzmall prices set the mark in this area. Of course that means you get a good price but it also sets a floor for the price in this area, it is hard work to do much better. In the end the comparison to Fitzmall was $26127 for the same car without the Security package and Edmunds lists the Security package at $460 invoice and $570 MSRP. That puts us just above invoice on a built to order car, so we got a reasonable price and the car we wanted and the dealer gets their holdback plus a few bucks. Of course now we just have to wait!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please check out the Toyota Venza Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion for pricing talk.
  • sns1sns1 Member Posts: 4
    The dealer in Missouri that I am working with pulled up the Edmunds TMV tool, looked what the TMV price was and said he would match it. It is above invoice, but about $2000 below MSRP. It may not be the best deal since I did not take a Venza off the lot, but I am happy with it. He also said that if any incentives came out while I was waiting to take delivery of the car, I would be eligible to take advantage of them. Same with my trade in, I am trading an 07' Camry Hybrid in, and he said if gas prices jump before the car is delivered and the value increases they will give me more on the trade too (the based the trade on Kelly Blue Book). Hope that helps! :)
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Sorry, but nobody, at least I myself, didn't say anything about a private discussion, but I was addressing someone else with my question, that's why I replied rather than posted a separate entry. No harm done in either case. Maybe one of these days I'll figure out how these forums are supposed to work!

To your other comment, I consider the Murano very ugly. Actually, these days I'm more interested in the Hyundai Elantra Touring wagon/hatchback/whatever. It's very nice looking, outside of the awful color choices, and I hope to actually sit in one soon to see whether it sits too low for me or not.

Thanks for the advice, though.
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    so it's a toyota version of the ford edge / lincoln mkx... just a better one, that's all
  • md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    Hey Venza Owners,
    I just completed a 30 minute test drive in a V6-AWD Venza and was quite impressed. I think my only concern is with driver seat comfort: It wasn't bad but it almost seemed like the seat cushion padding was kind of thin. I'm pretty slim myself without much "built-in" butt padding, so I would like to hear of your experiences when taking long trips - does the seat remain comfortable after a couple hours of driving? Thanks in advance for your replies.

MD
  • normvenza09normvenza09 Member Posts: 36
    Already made five 4 hours long trip from Washington DC to Virginia beach and back without discomfort. If you adjust the seats ergonomically like the height, the back, distance to the steering wheel and lumbar support, you should be fine.
  • linersliners Member Posts: 19
    I have 6,200 miles on my V-6 AWD with leater. Took one 1500 mile trip was really comfortable and still is. I only wish that it a/c seats like my wife's Avalon. I'm 6' 1" and 215.
  • brendan_mbrendan_m Member Posts: 1
    And when it comes to trips, the front-wheel-drive Venza V6 is rated at 19 mpg city/26 mpg highway, which compares to the rear-wheel-drive Highlander V6's 18 mpg city/24 mpg highway.

I didn't know Toyota made a RWD Highlander.
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Member Posts: 30
    Hey MD outback
    Are you use to driving a Caddie. There is nothing wrong with the cushion seating on the Venza. It is very comfortable and just as good as my wifers 06 Avalon Just returned from a 500 mile trip to the Florida Beaches and it was great .I have leather seating. Maybe it was the way you had the seats adjusted. I like mine to sit kind of low and back some. Try it again
    Are you use to driving a Caddie.
    No deepsouth, I currently drive a Lexus RX and the Venza's seat seems to have less padding. It was just a simple question requesting input from Venza owners, since I had only driven the Venza for 30 minutes.
  • troy1969troy1969 Member Posts: 1
    Some might think its like a Ford Edge, personally, I think its a Malibu Maxx with worse gas mileage.

I believe Bob Lutz, who was enamored with the Maxx (as was I when living in Germany with the Opel Sigmun), once said if they had put Toyota badges on it, they wouldn't have been able to keep them in stock.

Now we'll see if its the badge or the concept of a long hatchback/wagon from a car platform...
  • mr42hhmr42hh Member Posts: 9
    as was I when living in Germany with the Opel Sigmun

Opel what? Freudian slip? ;)
  • digifiotodigifioto Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I have had the V6 w/leather since the beginning of March. I'm 59 and have been driving a '95 Acura Legend Coupe for the last 10 years, which I love and will keep. The Venza is my wife's car and our car for trips into the city and Costco :>).

We just returned from driving from the KC area to Charlotte and Atlanta, a total of 2400 miles over a week.

When we first pickup the Venza, I had an hours drive to get home. I was having second thoughts on the way home, due to the feel of the seats. The front seats seem too short (I'm only 5' 10") and they could use more padding. But we were very comfortable on our long drive. The most we drove in one day was 12 hours. I no qualms on the Venza now and very glad we did it. Maybe the Venza seats broke me in, but I have no problems with them now.
  • 6sptl6sptl Member Posts: 27
    The Venza is an AWD STATION WAGON. So what? I wish manufacturers would stop the branding stupidity. For some people a STATION WAGON is the solution they need and the Venza seems to be a very good one at that. So please lets stop the crossover naming stupidity. The Venza is a good STATION WAGON, and there should be no stigma associated with calling it what it is! BTW, the "good" ranking is predicated on reliability comfort and generally decent dynamics, like all other toyotas this thing is as envigorating to drive as a toaster. If you want some fun with your driving you'll have to wait for Honda's upcomming AWD STATION WAGON.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    To me, the back with its sloped window says hatchback, not a true wagon.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    If the Maxx had a 4 cyl and made the V6 optional like the sedan, they would have sold more.
  • halwickhalwick Member Posts: 45
    I have no problem driving a "STATION WAGON", although the 19" wheels on my Venza do look out of proportion (read oversize) in relation to the body. Nevetheless I bought the car because I wanted a car-based hatchback or station wagon design for more flexible utility and comfort. Was seriously considering the Malibu MAXX but it was AXED by the time I was ready to buy. Not a bad design except for typical unquality GM issues. The other alternate was the Mazda 6 Hatchback and Wagon, but it too small and later discontinued in 2008.

Just to see how image-conscious brainwashed people are, I did a little experiement: I described the Venza to one group at work as a "crossover" and got "oohs-and-aahs." To another group I described the car as a "station wagon" and got "ugh" reactions. The women (30-40ish) in the first group couldn't wait to have a ride, whereas the women in the second group (approx same age) "wouldn't be caught dead in a station wagon." So much for my popularity and status but I could care less; the Venza fits MY needs.

Hal
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    All dealers, but most especially a high volume dealer, will do their best to discourage placing a custom order, they'd rather sell the current inventory, INSTANT income.

Go to a low volume dealer in a remote area...
    Exactly!!!
    BTW, those big wheels are a definite visual asset, however, they will be a pain when replacements are due. Not only will they be very expensive, there will also be a very small selection.
  • anry555anry555 Member Posts: 9
    130$ per wheel not that expensive.
    The only tire for this vehicle around 100 is the goodyear RSA a mediocre tire. The michelin latitude 20" in costs 270 bucks! And that is a less then excelent tire too!
  • anry555anry555 Member Posts: 9
    Really? Check tirerack.com Pirelli and Yokohama in a good price range too. Also by time you need to change the tires there will be more choices for sure.

And it's not a 15k car.
    I've got the 19" wheels and the tires are P245/55R19. Last time I checked with my local tire dealer (I live in Los Angeles) there were only two choices: Bridgestone and Toyo and they were around $300 EACH, mounted & balanced. If you check tirerack.com, there are no choices listed.

Interestingly enough, there are more selections available in the 20" tire size. For some reason, Toyota picked an oddball 19" size for the 4-cylinder models.

I bought the car knowing the limited choices and high price but hope within a few years there'll be more selections at reasonble prices. Those 19" wheels are the only thing that bugs me about the car; otherwise I'm happy with the rest of the car.

On the other hand, tirerack.com lists 12 tires in the P235/55R19 from $149 (Hankook) to $248 (Pirelli). Can you put slightly narrower tires than originally equipped?
  • kharriskharris Member Posts: 41
    I don't think it's a good idea to put on a smaller size(p235/55R/19) to replace the original larger size(p245/55R/19) because it reduces the load index (the car's load capacity). The 235 size (load index 101)is rated for 1819 lbs while the 245 size(load index 103) is rated for 1929 lbs. This assumes the other 2 dimensions remain the same.
    Hi halwick,
    The smaller, 235 tire will have a slightly shorter radius and will reduce ground clearance from 8.1 inches to 7.9 inches. Also, the overall circumference of the tire will be reduced from 93 inches to 91.7 inches, about a 1.4% difference. That difference in size will affect your speedometer, odometer, cruise control and possibly other sensors that monitor vehicle speed related to tire/wheel revolutions (such as ABS, traction control, etc.). It is not a huge size difference, but you should get professional advice (ask the folks at tirerack) before changing.

MD
  • tomdtomd Member Posts: 87
    The June CR did a review of the Venza. They liked it overall but had a few comments:
    1. They complained about the ride and blamed the big 20 inch wheels.

Is the ride really that bad? How would it compare to my '07 Higlander Limited? Some other reviews have said that the interior noise levels are higher than expected. Can anyone comment on this?

2. They said that several interior trim panels were misaligned and that some grains didn't match.

I am surprised to read about misaligned trim panels. How do owners feel about the workmanship? After the initial problems the Camry and other models had a few years ago, I read that Toyota had this big push to get quality back to where is used to be. They said that they were going to hire more Engineers and take more time to "get it right" before releasing a new model.
    Hi MD,
    Thanks for the explanation. Thought the 235 vs 245 pertained to width only. You mean this slight change in width also affects the circumference and tire height?

Hal
    Over the years I've learned to take what CR says with a grain of salt. I don't think they've ever had a totally positive review with any vehicle. That said, I think their remarks were relatively harmless. They were nit-pickin in my opinion.
    Hey halwick,
    The "55" in the tire size of 235/55-19 refers to the aspect ratio, basically the height of the sidewall and it is a percentage of the tread width (the 235 or 245 in your case). So the sidewall height of a 235/55 tire is 235 mm times 55%, or 129.25 mm. The sidewall height of the 245/55 tire is a bit taller at 134.75 mm. That difference of 5.5 mm equates to about 0.22 inches less ground clearance for the 235/55 tire. This also serves to illustrate why the higher aspect ratio percentage (i.e. 60% vs. 50%) means a taller sidewall that is more likely to result is a softer, more compliant ride. This isn't always the case, as some tires are designed for comfort and other tires of the same size may have stiffer sidewalls to improve cornering performance, but won't be as comfortable. And obviously, as the tire height changes, so does the rolling circumference and that is what can affect your speedometer, odometer, etc. Hope this helps.

MD
    I noticed the plastic housing behind the steering wheel was misaligned and not fitting flush with the steering wheel spokes. It was replaced along with the entire steering wheel! Fortunately this was done under warranty. I'm also hearing a slight buzzing noise coming from either the right part of the dashboard or the right front door inner panel at highway speeds. I'm not surprised as the car was built in Kentucky and a first year model run. Didn't have any problems with a 1997 Toyota Camry, which was built in Aichi, Japan. Anybody have similar fit & finish problems with their Kentucky-built Camry or Avalon?
    I am surprised to read about misaligned trim panels. How do owners feel about the workmanship?

When I take my Venza in for its first oil change, I'm going to have the dealer fix the following:
    - misaligned woodgrain trim panel around the gear shift
    - misaligned dash panel (right side of the center speaker grill)
    - rattle in the driver's door
    - rattle in the passenger's door
    - peeling leather on the gear shift

And to check on the following:
    - more flex than I would think is normal on the driver's side front fender
    - more flex than I would think is normal on the lift-gate panel (the panel with the logo and Venza nameplate -- feels almost like it's plastic or fiberglass, not metal).

Sounds like a lot listed out like this, but it's not that bad. If it was, I'd head to the dealer immediately.

For what it's worth, my Highlander (first model year) and my 4Runner (3rd year of the current generation) both went back to the dealer soon after delivery. The former was for a turn signal that wouldn't cancel and the latter for rattles and a defective side airbag module. Both were made in Japan.

Other than the defective airbag module, though, I've only had minor trim and/or rattle types of problems with my Toyotas over the years.
  • kingfish4kingfish4 Member Posts: 3
    The Venza is nothing more than a copy of the departed Malibu Maxx. As far as the comments about the GM unquality issues, they are non existant. I just recently traded my Malibu Maxx for a G8 GT, and in 130K miles the only repair required was a rear wiper blade and a set of brake pads, and even then only the rear pads needed replacing. Oil changes occured at around 9K miles based on the oil life monitor, and it never consumed any oil between changes. Gas mileage was around 28 combined and over 32 on the highway.

I don't think I would consider a Venza, for one, it is overpriced for a Camry, two it's maintainence cost is higher than a Chevy Maxx, and three it has the shift lever coming out of the dash like a 60's Corvair with a powerglide!
    The Venza is nothing more than a copy of the departed Malibu Maxx

What weed have you been smokin? In my opinion, the two are not even in the same class. I followed one yesteday by coincidence after reading your blog and I really can't see the commonality except for 4 wheels and 4 doors. If GM quality was like Toyota and Honda, they wouldn't been in the straits they're in now. Just look at Consumer Reports reliability chart. Look at the number of black marks on GM products compared to the Honda, Toyota, and even Hyundai. That said, I had a Malibu back in the early 70's and it was a good car.
    "The Venza is nothing more than a copy of the departed Malibu Maxx. As far as the comments about the GM unquality issues, they are non existant...."

I'll grant you that both cars are "station wagon" or stretched hatchback in design concept. But I wouldn't say the Venza is "nothing more than a copy" of the Maxx.

However, I disagree with you about the GM "unquality" issue being non-existent. Maybe you were lucky and got one of those rare samples that were trouble-free. Good for you! My neighbor has a Maxx and he considers the car to be poorly assembled compared to his wife's Honda Accord. But my experience (and other people I know) have contrary experiences on GM cars. I currently have a 2003 Buick Century, had a 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe, 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, a 1974 Chevrolet Nova and they ALL had fit & finish and mechanical issues. Every car started having mechanical problems around 40-50K (just after the warranty expired). Rattles showed up about the same time. And I follow the maintenance schedule religiously. Another friend has a 1997 Toyota Camry with almost 200,000 miles with no issues, other than the usual maintenance costs. Consumer Reports rates Toyotas (overall) as being more reliable and having better quality than GM products overall.

Re the shift lever location on the Venza: When I rest my right forearm on the center console armrest, the shift knob is exactly where my hand is. Ergonomically, the car is very thoughtfully designed with everything right where it needs to be and in easy reach.

By the way, how's your G8 GT doing? And if you wanted a station wagon or a car-based SUV, what would you get?
    I think Consumer Reports does their best work when reporting on a product's reliability based upon owner surveys. But I have noticed that most of their product reviews (not just automotive) are now full of contradictions and what appears to be a forced balance between positive and negative comments - that is, for every positive comment, they feel the need to say something negative. Examples in the Venza review:
    Taut body motions - but jittery
    Highway ride is better - but a bit fidgety
    Auto transmission shifts smoothly and has easy to use manual override feature - but the zigzag shift gate operates clumsily
    Wide cabin offers plenty of elbow room with good head and foot room - but the cockpit feels a bit closed-in
    Limo-like rear seats are spacious for three adults - but kids might have a problem seeing out

These are just a few examples and they are not limited to the Venza review. The same is true of all auto reviews and other products as well. I dare you to find a CR review of anything that does not use the word "but" over and over. It's almost like their attorneys update all of the articles in an effort to attain the correct positive/negative balance to make sure they won't get sued.

Bottom line - Use the CR reviews along with similar viewpoints found in auto magazines and in Internet reviews to get a general overview. Then drive the vehicles yourself and form your own opinion - that's what will count most in the end.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I've been receiving Consumer Reports for over 20 years and I agree with your comments regarding their reporting (reliability vs. review). They seem to have gotten worse in the last few years. They are trying to be all things to all people. I would also like to add more proof to your assessment, CR penalizes a vehicle unless it drives in a sporty way. CR is turning into another car magazine like Car & Driver. I find myself relying less on CR reviews when making purchases. I concentrate on their reliability ratings to help me decide.

Although CR purchases the products for testing and does not accept advertising money, personal bias still comes into play in the evaluation process. You can't remove the human factor when evaluating anything. Evaluating some vehicle criteria is very subjective.
    The Venza is nothing more than a copy of the departed Malibu Maxx.

The Malibu Maxx stacks up as well with the Venza as the previous generation Malibu stacked up against the equivalent model-year Camry. The Camry was the car you'd buy, even though it was boring. The Malibu was the car you'd rent to remind you why you bought the Camry.

Now, the new Malibu is definitely a lot more competitive with the Camry. A Venza-like version of the new Malibu would make for a fairly interesting comparison.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    I have to wonder: Toyota owns 16% of Subaru. Subaru plant in Indiana where Outback comes from also makes Camrys for Toyota. And, future Toyota Supra (awd) is being co-developed by Toyota and Subaru. So, anyone else think Venza and new Outback look enough alike to wonder if Venza and Subaru co-developed this chassis?

I thought seriously about buying a 4-cyl. Venza a few months ago, and passed because of ridiculous wheel and tire choice by Toyota. There are only two manufacturers that make tires for that size, and they are both sub-par. Thanks to a little announcement from Subaru, I waited and now I may be able to get a nice AWD, 4-cyl vehicle, with a 6-speed manual, for several thousand $$ less than Venza. And have decent tires.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I thought Toyota owned 51% of Subaru?