Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Venza Crossover

Comments

• ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Could be. Wiki says 16.5%. What's your source?

Also, any comment on the subject of the post - is Venza a twin of the 2010 Outback? Distant cousin?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I believe that Toyota bought out GM's 16.5% share of Subaru. GM sold it to parent Fuji Industries which then resold it to Toyota.

The first benefit was that about 100,000 Camry units were able to be offloaded to the Subie plant in Indiana instead of imported from Japan.
    The 2nd benefit is that Subaru is making a small RWD sportster that will be marketed by both companies.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    My memory must be going. I thought I had read the 51% info in a business magazine.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Thanks for the clarification on Toyota's share.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    More of that convergent design effect than anything else. The engines, transmissions and AWD design are all completely different between the two.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    For those still curious about Honda's Venza-like crossover (to be named CrossTour), there are new spy photos here. There's a shot of the dash as well as the cargo area.

My opinion (and take it for what it's worth as a Venza owner): I hope it looks better in person than it does in photos. That side profile makes the rear look huge (look at the size of the rear bumper!).

I prefer the wagon-like profile of the Venza versus the coupe-hatchback approach Honda is taking. Note that the cargo area is shallow enough to use a fixed cargo cover (as opposed to the Venza's window-shade style cover).

To me, the CrossTour looks like a bigger Insight or Prius, while the Venza looks like a giant Matrix.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    What is it crossing over from? It looks like a fast back Accord. I'm disappointed, was hoping Honda was bringing over the Tourer which was more like the Venza concept.
    Is that an Aztec like rear window I see? If this is Honda's answer to the Venza they have missed the boat.
    True. I like the 2.7L in the Venza, but like the option the Subie offers of 6-speed manual or CVT. The AWD as well. Not forgetting the Venza's undesirable factory wheel/tire combo on the 4-cyl.
  • rdeasonrdeason Member Posts: 11
    I saw a red 4 cylinder today. The only styling miscue is the single exhaust. It looks unbalanced. I don't know what you mean by undesirable tire/wheel combo. They look great. I drive a loaded V-6 with the 20" wheels and not only do they look great but the ride is fine. Recently did a 1400 mile round trip and had no complaints. And some of the turnpike roads in Florida are anything but silky smooth. As far as replacement cost the prices are not bad now and I am sure they will get even better as more 20" wheel vehicle are on the market. Subarus are great vehicles having owned them but they do not have anything as large and as luxurious as the Venza. I purchased mine for 4M off the sticker and also got a great trade on my 2007 Camry XLE V-6. I hope you enjoy whatever vehicle you purchase.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Subarus are great vehicles having owned them but they do not have anything as large and as luxurious as the Venza.

That's a rather erroneous statement - Tribeca is larger and IMHO more luxurious. It's a different class, but that wasn't your statement. We've owned 2 Toyos and 2 Subies and liked all of them. I happen to be one of those people who hate the looks of ridiculously big wheels like I think the Venza has. That's a personal choice.
    Good to see that you got a great deal on your Venza. For myself, I'm still drawn to it - it's very much like my current ride. However, I consider the tires that come on the 4-cyl to be poor. If you to to www.tirerack.com and check out Owner's Surveys on the tires, you'll see. This still doesn't condemn the vehicle, but tires are too important for handling, ride comfort, ride noise, and safety. So, if I I was to buy a Venza, I'd need different tires. But that's the problem. That's impossible. Only two manufacturers in the world make that size! And neither of them is Michelin, Continental, Pirelli, etc.

My current ride is an '07 Highlander that came with low-grade tires. I switched them the first week with Michelin Cross Terrains from Costco. It is now noticeably quieter on the road, handles better, and does not squeal in the corners like the original tires did. They should go 60-80k miles as well.

Subaru is coming out with a 2010 Outback in a few weeks. It even looks like the Venza. And it's a lot bigger than Subies of old. It's spec'd here on Edmunds. Check it out. May even get the 6-speed manual! But a CVT is also available.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    "The only styling miscue is the single exhaust. It looks unbalanced."

Better than paying more for an exhaust system repair. Many dual exhaust systems are for looks, but I will take single exhaust any day if performance or mpg is same as the dual. Why pay in some cases for two mufflers and sets of pipes to replace.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    More about BLING than practicality...
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    Personally, I like a little BLING and am glad Toyota took some risks with the larger wheels and dual exhausts.

Everyone has their own threshold -- I'm glad they avoided Detroit's current fascination with decorative side vents and chrome-plated wheels.
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Member Posts: 30
    Everyone has there own needs and taste. Personally the Venza is very practical for my family with or without the bling. With the hatchback its very practical. Cant' say that for a regular car
    If you check the individual spec sheets you will find that most all of the interior dimensions favor the Venza. One of the exceptions is front leg room where the Tribeca has almost 2 inches more. But the Venza more than compensates with almost 5 inches of rear leg room. The Tribeca is an attractive car and it was on my short list but the higher cost, less miles per gallon sort of put it out of the running. The new Outback looks great but is slanted more toward the offroad rugged type of customer. I will check it out when it comes out. Maybe to replace my current Jeep.
  • 94camrylover94camrylover Member Posts: 3
    IIHS has released their crash test results for the Venza and gave it great scores. It scored GOOD all around and received a Top Safety Pick designation. This rating, coupled with the NHTSA's 5-star front & side ratings verify that Venza is a really safe vehicle.
  • 4wheelcycle4wheelcycle Member Posts: 2
    We have had a 2003 FWD V6 Highlander in northern NH for six years and we just bought a FWD V6 Venza. After the first winter the All Season tires on the Highlander did not do well in the snow, so we bought Cooper Discoverer M&S tires (a winter tire) and left them on all year round. They worked great in the snow and, amazingly, we got 50,000 miles on them.

We wanted to get the same tires for our new Venza, but Cooper does not make a 20" tire that will fit the Venza in the Discoverer M&S line. Ultimately, we bought a FWD V6 Venza and used the money we saved by not getting AWD to buy four really nice 18" OZ Botticelli wheels with Blizzak winter tires from the Tire Rack. I'm guessing the Blizzaks will only last about three winters here in NH. We'll use the stock wheels and tires for the first three summers, then put 18" Cooper Discoverer M&S tires on the OZ weels and leave them on all year round.

Our FWD Highlander has handled fine in the snow with good winter tires and I expect our FWD Venza will do even better with the Blizzaks. Remember, AWD does nothing for you when you are braking. The Blizzakx have a much better snow tread than the stock Venza tires and I am sure they will be much better/safer for braking in winter conditions.
  • adam1978adam1978 Member Posts: 16
    I am considering purchasing a Venza but have concerns about the interior. Several posts on this forum, and in other reviews of the Venza, noted that interior pieces on the dash/center stack are not flush. Does anyone have a picture they could share so I can see exactly what this looks like? Can this issue be corrected by the dealer? Thanks!
  • japjjapj Member Posts: 4
    I was considering the Venza and 2010 Outback. Since I plan to take the car back with me to Europe when I return in a couple of years, I favored the Outback as they will not sell the Venza over there. I ended up test driving the 2.5 Limited Outback and was disappointed. Didn't like the cvt, many features that ought to be standard are an option (auto dimming mirror, homelink etc), seat are not comfortable, side mirrors don't fold in). Test drove the Venza the next day and took it home the same day. I have the 4cylinder with convenience pkg and JBL (I will get leather after market at suggestion of salesman) Although I have to get used to the 4cylinder as I was used to driving a Mercedes C280 AWD, it is a very smooth ride and acceleration is more than enough for everyday driving. I really like this car (driven 200 miles). My only concern would be replacing the tires (not sure they sell this size in Europe).
  • allisonianallisonian Member Posts: 9
    Have my Venza AWD V6 for 2 months/3000 mil. Silky smooth for two weeks. Then Unusual griding/clunk noice with every shifting(P to R or D). Particularly bad in the morning. The noice is getting worse. 3 days ago, the car would not move for more than 2 minute on Reverse when start in the morning. The VSC sign stayed on. Turned off engine/ restarted, the car moved. In the afternoon, the car would not move for more than 15 seconds on Drive, then jumped forward all the sudden. What a let down for this expensive Toyota (traded in a 2000 Avalon).

The Tech confirmed the unusual noice but not the other problem and said that other new Venza also have similar noice issues I knew other venza owners in this forum reported similar problems with the transmission and start up. Manufacture defect?
    Toyota needs to get to the buttom of this.

I do not feel safe driving the Venza with an erractic transmission. I will report back with more info as well as the repair results.
  • bpvenzabpvenza Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I was wondering does anyone know if the Navigation can read or play DVD movies?

Thanks in advance
  • wbmdwbmd Member Posts: 4
    I hope Sienna's stick around. I will need a steady supply of them for the next 14 years.
  • normvenza09normvenza09 Member Posts: 36
    not sure if the salesman who sold me the venza is right or wrong but he told me it is possible as long as you know which fuse to remove....
    Thanks for the reply and tip. Any more advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks again Norm.
    I understand that the nav system can play dvd movies but the car must be in Park and the emergency brake must be on. You have to of course remove your nav dvd. It's in the manual. Hope this helps.
    My navigation doesn't even have the DVD option on the menu. Does anyone have the DVD option on their Navigation?
  • normvenza09normvenza09 Member Posts: 36
    I don't have either. I also tried to put a DVD on the navigation DVD player but the DVD player could recognize the NEMO movie...so salesman was wrong...
    Hey Norm,

So did you get it work at all or the option is just not available? I called the service guy at my dealership and he told me the same thing as the manual and Rdeason stated which is, engine on with emergency brake on and it can play dvds . I tried it and it didn't work. Any luck anyone?

Thanks
  • ykckbyykckby Member Posts: 30
    I can not tell from the pictures and would appreciate someone answering this question please.

When one puts the back seats down, maximizing the cargo area, do they lie flat? Is the entire cargo area flat or is it like my CRV where it slants upward on the seat backs going toward the front seats. Wierd explanation but I'm sure you understand what I mean if you own one.

Thanks
  • halwickhalwick Member Posts: 45
    You must have an older CRV as the current CRV's rear seats back fold down and the whole seat tumbles forward.

On the Venza, The seat back folds onto the seat cushion. As you lower the seat back, the seat cushion slides slightly forward. The resultant cargo flow has a slight upward slant....maybe about 10 degrees. It's not as bad as in other SUVs.

On the other hand, I wish the seat cushion would flip forward so that you can fold the seat back absolutely flat as in the Ford Escape or the Toyota 4Runner.

Hal
  • ykckbyykckby Member Posts: 30
    Thanks Hal...my CRV is a 2008 and I know the seats do fold forward but it still isn't flat. I did check the Venza and it will work well for what I need.

I have no idea why so many cars have changed. I had a Murano that laid flat and when I looked to replace it, the new ones are like so many...they have a good size slant .
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    The new V9.1 was just released by Toyota for the VENZA for $199. Last year it was $265....

The part number is 86271-GEN06-09
  • hrtbrkcafehrtbrkcafe Member Posts: 2
    GM did have their quality issue back in the 80s and 90s but for toyota and honda their quality starting going down hill if you owned any of them 2001 model and up to current will cost you alot of money for repair for tranny and engine...i do owned 2006 malibu maxx at 70k miles no major repair no burned oil like toyota or honda...and don't want to spend $4k for tranny or $8k for new engine like toyota or honda...you know what i mean...their quality was in the past....this is the year 2009...GM will come back and strong...just give them more time...toyota and honda nothing more than a copy machine....from U.S and Germany....
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    It seemed that there were more Highlanders on the lots and in the ads until recently. Now it seems reversed. Dealers seem to have as many or more Venza's and the Venza is more prominent in the newspaper ads. Maybe that will change come winter?
  • raysfanraysfan Member Posts: 13
    Where did you hear or see this? I just received delivery of my Venza on 8/25 and the DVD version was 8.1.
  • raysfanraysfan Member Posts: 13
    navguy1 - Please respond to my request. Where did you find this info? When I checked I could not find the update and the part # does not exist. Thanks...
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I had been considering a Venza as opposed to a 2010 Outback but the reports of transmission problems and the 20" wheels have put me off.

Why didn't they use smaller wheels and tires???

I do like the fact that you can get HID headlamps, however.

Any thoughts?
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Just a note. Having the Venza on my short list I like to see them on the road. I just finished a 1300mile trip from NY to Florida and saw only one Venza on the highway and that was in the last hour. I'm wondering where they all are? Has the Venza become a soccer mom's car also? I probably saw more Camry's than anything, but a lot of Kia's and Suzuki's. By far the most prevalent non tractor trailer is a pick up truck.
  • md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    roho1,
    Personally, I like the fact that my Venza is a rare sight and it is one of the reasons I did not buy another Lexus RX350 - they were all over the place. I really can't say if the Venza is becoming a soccer moms' vehicle because I too haven't seen that many. But from reading about Venza owners on this and other forums there seems to be a very wide diversity among owners, from older empty-nesters (like me, I'm a grandfather) to families with kids to younger (and older) folks who are really into customizing their Venzas. And based upon the attention I have received from others, the Venza has an appeal that my Lexus RX never had.

MD
  • tictoctictoctictoctictoc Member Posts: 7
    Hi There,

for VENZA 3.5L V6 AWD
    Can anyone tell their experience on the Down Hill Assist when Cruise control is set?

Does it work on toyota venza? I have been driving in the Alleghenies and whdn on a down hill on a set speed on a cruise the vehicle doesn't maintain the speed set in by cruise it increases according to how steeply vehicle is going down. Is that normal?

with my previous vehicle Mazda cx 7 AWD i never faced this problem?
    R u guys having the same issue....? am :confuse:
    Minimum CC setting is >30MPH, down hill assist is to hold your speed BELOW 10-15MPH.

Other than a completely closed throttle plate the only thing CC is programmed to do to decay or hold speed when going downhill is retard the engine ignition timing.

Think of it this way, what do you think might happen going downhill if the roadbed were icy and CC applied the brakes, or even worse, downshifted the transaxle (FWD..engine compression braking...NOT GOOD..!) without your knowing..??

The best you might hope for from the manufacturers is a CC "overspeed" warning/beeping.
  • lisa4labzlisa4labz Member Posts: 13
    I am noticing a few more but it's fine with me that the population of them is not overloaded. Coming from a Camry XLE I can say that it is more spacious and a much different driving experience. It has the heavy feeling of a Lexus, but I like the price tag of the Venza better.
    I don't think this is a 'soccer-mom' vehicle...I think it appeals to many different lifestyles, just as the Camry does. We have two girls in college and a 10 year old, and it serves many purposes. The only thing I think it over-rated and could be improved is the back-up camera...its very small and hard to see in the daylight.
    Thanks my friend. It answers. But still have a query which i will explain with example

CC Set at 55 MPH Normal day
    Up Hill - When moving on a uphill the CC sets in and keeps the speed set at 55 MPH . Had i kept it on manual i would have pumped on the accelerator to keep the vehicle from climbing and maintain the speed at 55 MPH. so my question is

While going downhill why the CC is not able to maintain the set speed at 55 MPH when going downhill the and keeping the throttle under control? My previous vehicle i never faced this problem. :confuse:
    You should consider the Venza. Its 20" wheels are perfect and give a smooth and noise free ride. I have been driving this vehicle for past 2 months i haven't faced any transmission problem and am getting a good fuel avg aswell on 3.5L V6 AWD.

The dealer from whom i bought the venza has given a lifetime limited powertrain warranty at no cost.">link title

Definitely the HID is a plus with Auto high Beam Feature specially for night time driving

you can look at my review as well on this linkhttp://www.edmunds.com/toyota/venza/2009/consumerreview.html<a href="
    Was your previous vehicle RWD or R/awd...??

If so then the manufacturers are not being so careful about reducing the level of engine compression braking and the CC calling for a fully closed throttle would/might have more effect at retarding roadspeed.

But even an older FWD or F/awd may have more engine compression braking with a fully closed throttle. It's really been fairly recently IMMHO that manufacturers have begun to pay more attention to this issue, the DANGER, granted, only potential DANGER, resulting from engine compression braking on the drive wheels of a FWD or F/awd vehicle.

Up-hill....

Most CC designs will automatically switch off if the engine cannot maintain the set speed within 5-8MPH. Going up-hill the CC is free to downshift the engine to attain more torque since TC would quickly "step-in" should wheelspin/slip inadvertently result.

VW is now protecting even FWD manual transmission drivers from this effect. Downshift too radically such that engine compression braking results in wheelslip and the VW system will automatically up-rev the engine in order to quickly abate the danger of loss of traction on the front, stearing, wheels.

So my best answer to you is pay more attention to your roadspeed going downhill with CC on. And as the manual states "do not engage CC if the roadbed is slippery or suspected to be so.

Perhaps we will soon see the F/awd Venza versions with a slight overdrive to the rear wheels and thereby the ability to "switch" the majority of engine torque, lagging in this case, to the rear and therefore CC downshifting automatically would not represent such a great HAZARD.

On the other hand CC's control firmware, even "today", could be programmed to moderately brake ONLY the rear wheels with SAFETY.

Since the advent of the TC system's capability to independently apply braking to ANY individual wheel or wheels I have wondered why a light to moderate level of braking, actual driver braking, doesn't occur ONLY at the rear. Seems to me that might improve the safety factor of ALL passenegr vehicles.
    Thanks dear... I am crystal clear. Got your point. Really appreciate. :) So there is nothing wrong with my venza
    My previous Mazda cx7 was awd 2007 model
    2007 CX-7 F/awd...

Hmmm...

I would have thought that the CX-7's detuned/derated I4 (low CR to accommodate BOOST) would have yeilded a lot less compression braking than the Venza's V6.

How bad was the CX-7's FE with that detuned I4...??

But your CX-7 F/awd used water cooling to keep the PTO from overheating and thereby possibly more adequate use of rear drive coupling than the Venza. Otherwise that share the same F/awd design. It will be interesting to hear how the Venza F/awd system does in comparison.
    Seattle.

It seems to me that a FWD or F/awd such as the Venza, Highlander, Sienna, and Lexus RX series would be highly inappropriate for most Canadian drivers.

The poor safety record of FWD in adverse wintertime roadbed conditions is bad enough but then throw in the unwarranted additional confidence, over-confidence, level of F/awd drivers and you're asking for real trouble.

Kuddoes to Toyota for adopting a more appropriate F/awd system, virtually an exacting copy of the Ford and Mazda F/awd system, and now the Porsche 911 R/awd system.

But.

The only time the rear driveline is to be engaged usefully is under initial acceleration from a dead stop. This is to alleviate, pre-emptively alleviate, the potential for engine torque at low speeds resulting in front wheelspin/slip. Loss of directional control leading to an accident.

Otherwise the engine torque will be primarily routed, 95%, to only the front wheels and TC, Traction Control will rule.

If front wheelslip/spin should then inadvertently result then TC braking will be INSTANTLY used to regain traction at the front as quickly as is possible while at the same time the engine gets dethrottled and the rear drive clutch fully engaged.

Get that..??

Dead in the water, right..??

Unless you can disable TC...

But then with TC disabled will the system still automatically couple in the rear drive or will the owner need to provide a manual switch with which to engage the rear drive clutch...?

The Mazda CX-7 uses water cooling of the PTO such that the rear drive can be engaged, sometimes fully engaged, somewhat continuously. Ford, on the other hand, chose to revise the firmware to reduce the functionality of rear drive coupling in order to alleviate driveline component overheating (once it was discovered to be happening), primarily the rear drive clutch and the PTO.

Given the history of Toyota and Lexus F/awd systems, all mostly non-functional, designed only for marketing purposes, I would put my money on the Venza not having enough F/aw functionality to suffice unless you live well SOUTH of the snow zone.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What poor safety record? All the cars in the ditch at first snow fall are 4WD SUVs.

Got a link? :shades: