Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Venza Crossover

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Toyota
On this very day, 2009 Toyota Venzas will begin rolling off the assembly line at Toyota Motor Manufacturing in Kentucky. Toyota builds its newest five-passenger crossover on the same line as the Camry, and the 2009 Toyota Venza is indeed the tall Camry wagon it appears to be.

2009 Toyota Venza First Drive

Comments

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Unless you need one now, I'd hold off a year or so on the Venza. It's too aggresively priced right now. This recession is likely to linger on for awhile. There will be better deals. They will drop around 4 grand off a Highlander as a starting point right now. The Buick Enclave is offering good deals now that are way better than a year ago. You used to pay a premium for a Camry, now they are one of the best deals around for a midsized car. I expect that while Toyota may not lower the price directly, there will either be rebates or special trim packages down the road that bundle the options at a bigger discount. Plus, this car hasn't been around Japan prior to the US market, so there is a higher chance of teething problems the first year out. Usually when you are first out of the box you end up getting screwed.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    In order not to hog the Corolla thread with non-Corolla discussions let's discuss what the new vehicle may be like. Likes, dislikes, needs?
    I understand that it was presented to the dealer/principals last week in Hawaii. Very little was said about it.

I'm guessing that we hear about it in detail during the auto show season for debut later in the year.

Georgetown or Japan?
    FWD or AWD?
    2.4L or 3.5L or hybrid?
    Pricing?

Will this sell?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    as long as it doesn't supplant or make irrelevant the Sienna. They really ought to offer it in 2.4L and 2.4-hybrid versions only. Either you or mackabee was saying that RAV and HL are Toyota's offerings to those folks who want a Camry wagon. I don't think so. Those models are a poor substitute for a proper wagon, which would benefit from being lower to the ground/lower-roofed when it comes to fuel economy and handling.

On the flip side, Sienna is HUGE. Some people need a huge and versatile vehicle like that, and this FTSX will not be a good replacement for it.

I am still not warmed up to the looks of the "Zio" - that is the vehicle we are talking about here, right?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I think so but it will have a different NA name. I really like the pic that Mack last showed in the Corolla thread. If this new vehicle is not too large then the 2.4L would be a perfect engine ( and the 2.4L+ HSD even better ) to drive it.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    They could call it the Camry Mark X! That would be catchy and we could count them towards Camry sales. Just like Honda used to count the wagons, couples, and sedans as Accord sales. :shades:
    Mackabee
    ...and Toyota counts the Solaras in with the Camrys for sales counts (and it used to do the same thing with the wagons when there was a wagon).

I bet if they do call it the Camry "xxx" it will be something more catchy and Americanized (and less appearing to plagiarize Lincoln).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• cubssoxscubssoxs Member Posts: 139
    so does anyone know when this new crossover is supposed to come out?
    I heard 'within the year'. I'd guess next summer as a new 2009 model. But it's only a guess.
    You're right! We started doing it because Honda was doing it first. Turnabout is fair play ;)
    I don't get your statement about the "less appearing to plagiarize Lincoln" :confuse:
    Mackabee
    Well, didn't Lincoln have the whole Mark series? I believe the latest was the Mark VIII?

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Don;t forget the Mark X F-150 thing. ;)
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Toyota is putting a plan in place for the eventual marginalization of the minivan.

The Odyssey and Sienna are the two best in the market, and they are seeing 10-15% drops every year.

The crossover is replacing the minivan, and Toyota is coming up with a crossover that thinks it's a minivan.

It's a plan. In 5 years, we'll see if it bears fruit. Toyota could be ahead of the curve with this large, low crossover. Chrysler may get credit for starting it. Will Toyota perfect it? :blush:

DrFill
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Ford and Chevy already dropped there minivans. :cry:
    The only minivans still on the market are from Honda, Toyota, Chrysler and Kia. :shades:
    The Mark X has been in Japan for quite a long time. I'm sure they will call it something else when they bring it here.
    :)
    Mackabee
    and soon....VW. Which also has crossovers in two sizes, the larger built on a platform sturdy enough to do some serious offroading supposedly.

And Nissan, with its also-ran minivan.

I have a theory that most of the subsidence in the minivan segment in the last couple of years is all the domestic fleet van sales going away. Odyssey sales are consistent. Sienna sales were way up for quite a while.

If Toyota does produce this huge crossover in a size above Highlander, I hope no-one will have the brilliant idea that it makes the Sienna redundant - that would be a case of the marketing department getting ahead of itself and the market too.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, if Sienna sales fall under 100k.

Toyota can engineer an accelerated demise of the Sienna, if the croosover hits. I think it has one more redesign in it. That will buy it a few more years. :)

7-8 years from now, I think Sienna will be a footnote in Toyota history, but I hope I'm wrong. :(

DrFill

DrFill
    My impression is that this new vehicle will be substantially smaller than a Sienna but larger than a Matrix. My guess is that it's about RAV-sized but in a wagon shape for those not wanting an SUV/CUV. 'Wagon' best describes it.
    The vehicle on the Toyota website is much smaller than a vehicle potentially produced in other markets, with a 3rd row, and the 3.5 V6.

I'll try to find more information on it.

DrFill
    It will be the size of a Camry.
    Mackabee
  • mikelevine64mikelevine64 Member Posts: 39
    Toyota has a new crossover for the US.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124031
    is basically going to be Toyota's idea of a Camry wagon, much the way the Matrix is the Corolla wagon, right? Or you could call it a Camry hatchback, since it has such a rounded-off rear end that will substantially reduce cargo space.

People who have missed the Camry wagon from the 90s will be pleased, I'm sure. The Highlander is too high off the ground, worsening handling and reducing fuel economy vs a lower-to-the-ground wagon.

And maybe this will spur Honda to bring back the Accord wagon! Wouldn't that be nice? :-)

Personally, I dislike when Toyota uses model names that sound Italian - they just sound silly. If they are not going to use something Japanese (Camry, Corolla, etc) at least use something English for goodness sake!

I hope they don't make it V-6 only: it would be nice if it also had the 4-cyl and hybrid powertrains from the Camry sedan.

Append these two discussions?

kdhspyder, "The new Toyota Crossover/Wagon ... the FTSX concept" #1, 3 Oct 2007 10:28 pm

I'd guess that the Venza no matter the nomenclature will be a Camry Wagon beginning at about $25000 for a 2.4L ICE LE trim. Since it's at Georgetown and on the Camry platform it should follow the Camry pricing structure including a hybrid option based on the 2.4L.

Standard 2.4L trim........ $25000
    Upgraded 2.4L trim....... $27000
    Standard hybrid trim..... $28000
    Top 2.4L trim............... $30000
    Upgraded hybrid trim.... $32000
    Top 3.5L trim............... $33000

Options and accessories like the Camry,
    JBL + BT
    Navi
    RES

Now it makes sense to my why they dropped the 2.4L Highlander and jacked the price up to start at ~$32000. They needed to make room for this model.

Now there is a full lineup of crossovers beginning at $22000 to catch all the 'drop-offs' who will be dumping their SUVs as fuel goes up toward $6 or $8 a gallon.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    If the Venza is said to be a crossover sedan, why are people speculating it will be akin to a Camry wagon?

IMO, sedan does not equal wagon.

I'm thinking something more like the discontinued Subie OB sedan, which had a trunk. Hence, SEDAN.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Why are we calling them "cross-overs" it's just another name for Station Wagon, without the stigma of a Station Wagon. :)

-mike
    Just like Mercedes calls their wagons Sport wagons. Anyway, here's a few pictures to refresh your memory. The vehicle looks rather bloated in the pictures but that's just the camera that was In "personal sedan mode", a tonneau board with dual tonneau covers covers the cargo space to create a luxury sedan atmosphere and achieve a relaxing space.
    In "active wagon mode", a large cargo space like that of a station wagon can be created by storing away the tonneau board with dual tonneau covers.
    In "friendly minivan mode", the number of passengers can be increased to minivan capacity by raising the third-row seats stored in the cargo space.
    2.4L four banger and the 3.5L V6 will be available.

I'm not too crazy about the name as it's too close to Nissan's Versa. They could have come up with another name like the Camara, or Caldera, or Mack or something catchy. :blush:

The Solara is going away and this is taking it's place in the lineup, not as a substitute but as an entry in a different segment.
    Here's some pics, it looks like an elongated and squat Lexus Rx . I'm sure when we get it the grille will be different and of course the front logo will be a Toyota logo.
    Mackabee

imageimage

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Just a Long-wheelbase version of the RX.

-mike
  • nick_anick_a Member Posts: 1
    That seems much more like a minivan crossover - hardly what i'd call a sedan crossover. i was hoping for a matrix-y camry.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    is the front?
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    The press release said it was a 5 passenger vehicle, so no third row-YEAH!!!!!

So those pics of a z10 may be close but no cigar.

How was Toyota able to develop this model with no spy shots out there? They did similar with the HL though.
  • lasberrylasberry Member Posts: 12
    Yeah, the FT-SX featured a sliding rear cargo traythat could assisted with (un)loading. It wasn't designed with a 3rd row in mind. The vehicle's interior is very modern, cutting edge even. It may turn the older buyers (45+) off though. I personally like it hope that it's around in 6 years when I retire my SUV.
  • popeyedotpopeyedot Member Posts: 3
    Don't forget about the 2009 Dodge Journey. It seems like a SUV and Grand Caravan had a baby. It even has new storage features.

Also, somebody forgot to mention that Nissan still makes minivans too! The Quest is the best looking one out there...
    Why are we calling them "cross-overs" it's just another name for Station Wagon, without the stigma of a Station Wagon.

-mike

The term "crossover" to me originated with the Lexus RX300. It was the first(that I know of) vehicle to be designed with suv functionality that was not on a truck platform and not meant to be taken off road. So when I hear crossover I think of car like ride vs a bumpy truck.

Why are we still taking about minivans? My impression of the Venza is that has nothing to do with a minivan and is not meant to be.
    Ft-sx is a concept vehicle. Not all concepts translate to real world finished product. The third row seat may make it over here may not. It probably will since it folds flat to make it a 5 seater wagon. We'll see.
    Mack
  • mccoy1986mccoy1986 Member Posts: 8
    The venza is looking SWEET you guys. I got to see it at work because I work at Georgetown. It will be at the Detroit auto-show on the 13th. I can tell you it does indeed look similar to the Ft-sx. I liked looking at it so much I wanted to drive it home lol. You will all be surprised about the details of this car, it's high tech and amazing.
    Sounds great, but will have to wait til Monday for the press conference.
    Does it look like this:image :shades:
    It does not look like that. It seriously looks like the concept car. It will have a 2.7L inline 4 cyl and 3.5L V-6. Six-speed auto transmission. 19" and 20" tires. FWD and optional AWD
    What concept car? Is there a photo of it?
    2.7L I4???? That's the Tacoma engine isn't it? Sure it's not the 2.4L I4?
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Refer to post #26 of this thread for a pic
    No that is the Mark x Zio. See post #38 he said it didn't look like that, more like the concept car. I say What concept car?
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Off Toyota.com -

link title
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Tell us more about this 2.7L.... :P
    It IS a 2.7 liter in-line 4 cylinder engine. I repeat it is a 2.7 liter in-line 4 cylinder egnine. I do not know the details of the engine. It doesn't look exactly like the concept car but it sure does look very similar. The concept car can be found here http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/ftsx.html
    It looks similar to the concept car but it doesn't look as futuristic or like it's some sort of space age car.
    Anyways it's going to be out in the press very soon. Production doesn't start till around Fall of 08 so you never know what details Toyota might change before then.
    Interesting, the FT-SX was tauted as the new Highlander by many before it came out.
    Hence the disappointment when the 08 HL was revealed.
    link title

tomorrow!
    I wonder if Toyota is making this to be a Chrysler Pacifica competitor? Chrysler has dropped the Pacifica and Toyota fills the gap.
    Mack