Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Venza Crossover

Comments

• rogeliovrogeliov Member Posts: 108
    I have extensive experience with Toyota. The company rep on the website is nothing but a talking head and reads whatever the brochures say. Go into a dealer and try to order one with no options or stand alone options that are not offered in your region or otherwise and let me know what happens. While you are there ask them to see the TVO for December and January and look over what will be built for your region. The number of vehicles and option combinations has already been determined for the next three montsh. They may try to find one that is as close to what you have and divert it to their store. But a "special order" per se does not exist in Toyota's world. Why buy the steak if you're not getting the sizzle?
  • luckyme1luckyme1 Member Posts: 29
    Wife is interested in going from her Avalon to Venza. Drove a loaded one today. $38K +. Nice car/crossover. She liked the drive, and ride was a bit less cushy than the Avalon, but she did not mind. Liked alot about the vehicle, except the cheap looking plastic matte finish wood. We had a hard time getting past that after the Avalon look. Also, that Aqua speedo frame...not to impressed. But, overall, a very handy vehicle, with good lines, smooth V-6 (like all Toyota 3.5's), easy access, great build quality from Kentucky, but the price seems rather steep once loaded.
    It will be a decent seller, but she is thinking about waiting until the prices fall (and they will), or looking more at a Camry at a great deal now.
  • guy1974guy1974 Member Posts: 119
    I have not been able to see one of these in the flesh yet, but I have a question for those that have. Do you think three car seats can fit in the back row? My wife is expecting twins and I have a 2 year old. I am looking at tree row vehicles (Traverse,CX9) but the Venza is a little smaller and better economy (and cheaper in I4 mode) so I would like to go with this if possible. Comments welcome.
  • dm1212dm1212 Member Posts: 59
    I have a few reccomindations.

I would say absolutely no on the Traverse. We bought an 07 Acadia and the power steering went within the first 4 months. The transmission is not responsive, and the car lacks power especially when climbing hills. Will not have it much longer.

For a 3-Row Crossover I would say the best buy is the CX-9, were looking at one before I got the Acadia, wish I got it instead.

Also, the Audi Q7 is a rather nice truck, and will get your kids around safely. The car feels like a tank. I love Audi products, my 05 A6 is amazing.

For a 5 Seater I would buy an Edge. Affordable, good reliability, nice handling, good amount of horsepower, and buying an American Made car helps our economy.

I wouldn't buy the Venza because its on its first model year, and before our Acadia we had a Sienna and the run-flat tire censor didn't work, power sliding doors never closed completely either. Also, why give TOYOTA business? Don't make the same mistake we did!

Good Luck
  • tourguidetourguide Member Posts: 190
    Have you checked out the Ford Flex.

My wife took one look at the outside of that and said "What were they thinking!?". Since we are in agreement on that point - Flex is DOA at our house. Ford calls this a polarizing design and I guess that is one word for it. I think I've got a better word - UGLY. Ever see the Chevy Case movie Vacation? Remember the family truckster? Nothing else about the Flex could possibly redeem it after the design team wrecked havock with the exterior.
    I have to agree, the Flex looks like a herse, and is hidious, but does have nice reviews.
    For a 5 Seater I would buy an Edge.

Having looked closely at the Edge, I see a lot of cheap content in that vehicle. 'Chrome clad' wheels, now offers just heated seats - used to offer heated and cooled, and the list goes on. Option it up and it isn't so inexpensive any more, and neither is it so effecient.

I wouldn't be afraid of the Venza on a first model year. It is build on the Avalon platform, and that vehicle has been around for some time. I would say, the question is going to be will the dealers, deal on price?

I do have to agree with your point about it helping the US economy, and that is why I get SO upset with the domestics like Ford for what I feel is metering out the new tech - like Ecoboost (this isn't even new tech). WHERE IS THAT?!! It has been talked about for FOREVER and a DAY (to me), yet WHERE are these motors in vehicles? Nowhere, that's where - the one thing that might have at least gotten me to look at this set of wheels is nowhere. It is vapor in the mist as far as I can see.
  • joeblack1joeblack1 Member Posts: 52
    Ford Edge: I like the Ford Edge except for the gas mileage and the interior styling is awful in my opinion. The Venza is way better on both accounts.
    If you look at the reliability ratings of Toyota cars even in the first year, they are usually quite good. The Venza has a lot of components from the Camry/Avalon family and these are some of the most reliable cars you can buy.
    I would say, the question is going to be will the dealers, deal on price?

It looks to me like the pricing is starting to come down already. At first the Venzas listed here were around 4-400 under MSRP. Now the discount seems to be much more substantial:
    http://www.fitzmall.com/fitzway/carfind/resultsa.asp
    The gas mileage isnt that bad, considering it has 265 horsepower, the interior is alright, the seats are nice.
    I just went to look at the Venza on the Toyota website. 29MPG is impressive, I had no clue it was that high, but FWD is useless, what does the AWD 4 cyl and V6 get? It actually is a good looking vehicle, although it looks small.
    Venza AWD I4 = 20/28
    Edge AWD V6 = 15/22

That is a rather substantial difference. Yeah, I know I'm comparing a 4 to a 6, but it's not my fault that Ford doesn't make a nice smooth 4.
    Geeze, the Edge's mpg is no better than the Ford Explorer.

Interior is mostly a matter of opinion so it isn't worth arguing about.
    "Liked alot about the vehicle, except the cheap looking plastic matte finish wood. We had a hard time getting past that after the Avalon look. "

So you prefer the "real cheap looking plastic" on your Avalon over the "at least tries to look real" plastic on the Venza. Hmm. Interesting.

What's wrong with the price? Is the vehicle not worth 38k or you weren't shown 38k of value?
    So other than the "cheap plastic and the 38k price tag" would you buy one?
    It's going to be difficult for dealers to hold the price on the Venza under this current market climate. I'm still amazed they decided to introduce it in the slowest sales part of the year. It seems to me they did the same last winter with the Sequoia and the Landcruiser and sales were nothing to write home about on either model if I recall. But hey, that's why they are raking in the money and I'm not. ;)
    I just "built" an 09 Ford Edge on Ford's website and even with their "employee" pricing offers it's an expensive vehicle. A limited FWD comparably equipped to a top of the line Venza comes in at $37,504.00 I don't see anything wrong with the Venza's price point. ;)
  • mary99mary99 Member Posts: 65
    The only thing worse than cramming three car seats in one row, for me, would be cramming three kids in one row when they're old enough to pester each other. For a family of five, I'd get a third row.

So the Venzas are in some showrooms now?
    The first one rolled off the assembly line on monday. They are due at showrooms on friday or first week of december.
    The first one rolled off the assembly line on monday.

They've been building them for some time now, our local dealership had one scheduled for production on the 11th of this month. My guess is, they have been shipping for quite a while, though will be widely available for dealerships in early December. Some dealerships I am sure have vehicles on the lot now.
    what does the AWD 4 cyl and V6 get?

I4 - 20/28 city/hwy
    V6 - 18/25

I would say that is pretty good for an AWD vehicle, and likely due to lower mass and a lower aerodynamic profile than some of the other large crossovers.
  • dfreshdeedfreshdee Member Posts: 5
    In general, the safety of third rows is low, and the frequency of rear-end crashes is high. Plus the third row takes away most storage capacity. Plus, I am blessed to have 3 kids who actually play well together in the back. Lots of signing of songs and word games. All without a DVD!
  • md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    I've noticed a few folks wish the Venza had heated AND cooled seats. Me too, but I don't have young children in the car very often (though we do have a new grandchild on the way!). However, be careful what you wish for - most of the cooled leather seats I have seen are made with perforated leather. They are really neat until you accidentally spill something on the seat (like milk, perhaps). Any spilled liquid will quickly find its way through the perforations and soak into the foam of the seat cushion, where it will remain forever! Now some liquids, like water, don't really smell too bad over time. But others, like milk, baby barf, and some others will become a permanent reminder of the day the spill occurred. Unlike that fading new car smell, some odors just never go away. The good news with the Venza is that the two available leather colors are very light (ivory and light gray), so these won't get nearly as hot as dark leather - thus cooling is not a necessity.
  • sage3sage3 Member Posts: 47
    I would take a broken run flat censor over a power steering problem any-day. You may have had problems with your Toyota but fact remains most Toyota products are more reliable then GM products, so my question to you is how will you help the economy by buying American Made when repair costs take a bite out of your wallet. Second, we are witnessing how GM and the unions have run their company to the point that they are asking for tax payers money to survive! Hello! Dear folks at GM please make a better product and I will buy it. What I don't buy are the wages unskilled blue callers have been getting for sub par products.
    Good luck is what we need
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    My bad, I was thinking Edge since this is the Venza forum. The Flex is a larger 3rd row bus.

The CR reliability report lists Toyota #4 and Ford #17 so I am still calling you on your statement that Ford is ahead of Toyota.
    accidentally spill something on the seat

True, true, though you only generally have to worry about this with front seats. I hope in the case of baby barf - we don't have any Brittany Spears imitators anywhere else in the world.

Febreeze can do wonders for lingering odors, but one would hope that caution would prevent the need for that wonder fix.

won't get nearly as hot as dark leather - thus cooling is not a necessity.

These types of seats actually don't work very quickly, like electric heated seats do. The cool off is gradual - relatively speaking - and the main benefit is comfort over a long drive. I had these in an Expedition I owned previously and they were great. Not terribly expensive to offer either, and THERE is the mystery as to why Toyota isn't serving them up in the Venza.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Anyone know what the AWD system is? Is it the same as the Lexus RX 350?

Just tried the configuration tool on the Toyota site and it let me configure an I4 FWD but it wouldn't let me configure an AWD I4. They are going to produce an AWD I4 aren't they? I am in the SF area. I tried putting in a zip code for Lake Tahoe to see if they would allow one there and got the same result.
    I'm 99% sure it is the same AWD system on the RX and the Highlander.

The website won't let you build that vehicle configured that way until they are producing that model (late January 09). You can however build that model on the Carsdirect site, which will also provide you will the ever useful invoice total.
    Thanks for your reply, although I would note that the Acadia was in its first model year so some problems are to be expected. Looking at reliability on sites like www.truedelta.com the Lambdas are reasonably reliable and better in the second year.
    I would like to buy American to support the economy and a third row may be a good idea with three children. The Venza has a 30 cu feet trunk whereas the Traverse has 24 with the 3rd rom up or 64 cu ft with it down.
    Has anyone on this forum actually sat in a real production ready Venza? If so are the rear row wide enough for three adults?
    I should have qualified my statement. "First one rolled off the assembly line on monday november 10th."
    They are sitting at the port waiting for Toyota to give the word and ship them to dealers.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Yes I have. In our regional ride and drive we got to test several Venza's vs the Edge, CX7 and the Murano. Inside it 'feels' larger than the rest and it feels wider than a Highlander but essentially it's the same inside as the Highlander. The two vehicles are off similar platforms with similar dimensions.

Sit in the first two rows of a Highlander and you'll be sitting in a Venza.
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    "Sit in the first two rows of a Highlander and you'll be sitting in a Venza"

I went to SF Auto show and they have a Venza that we can sit in.. It is a pretty impressive suv. The interior look mighty good (compare to RAV4 lol) with quite a few thougtful design in the front (armrest can be moved a feet or so back and forth to allow for access to the compartment below etc.). The back set is reasonable for 3 adult but certainly not for 2 hours drive unless they are pretty small in size. It is on my list of test driving in a few months.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    The CR reliability report lists Toyota #4 and Ford #17 so I am still calling you on your statement that Ford is ahead of Toyota.

I'll raise you: C/R December 2008, page 63: "FORD LEADS THE DOMESTICS - Ford's reliability is now on par with good Japanese automakers."
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Nice, If you can't quote the facts then use a generalized statement. Leading the Domestics isn't something to be proud of. Ford actually lost 4 spots from last year but is still listed as just average. Check the graph out which actually uses data.
    "FORD LEADS THE DOMESTICS - Ford's reliability is now on par with good Japanese automakers."

This is a good thing. Now which Japanese automakers are they talking about? Mitsu, Suzuki,?
  • luckyme1luckyme1 Member Posts: 29
    Buy one....probably, but waiting on initial frenzy to subside. There will be plenty of stock soon. They are a great vehicle. Look great, ride great, great build quality, OK price point. Whether the trim is wood or not is not a big issue. It's just that the matte look did not click with my wife. It's all plastic whether Avalon, Venza, or most all other makes. But she was disapointed when she found that both Premium packages came with the same wood grain look. And that is about all you will see for some time.
    We are quite familiar with Toyota's and I spend a fair amount of time in their facilities. Looked at Venza's in trial production some time back, but just sat in one a couple weeks ago. Drove one on Saturday. You won't go wrong buying one in the first production year. Long leisurely test drive, and the car was perfect.
    It has a sticker of $36700 with the Luxury package, the Navi package and the stand-alone sunroof.

What surprised me is that Toyota is not ramping up production very quickly probably in recognition of the slowdown in the overall market. Normally a new launch begins with volume at a trickle, becoming a gusher after a month or so.

In this launch the schedule is one a week through mid-January...all of them are of the loaded variety between $35000 and $38000.
  • joshuagjoshuag Member Posts: 92
    I knew I was right!
    From JD Power :

Top 5 Midsize Cars in Dependability
    Overall Rating
    1. Chevrolet Malibu
    2. Ford Fusion
    3. Mitsubshi Galant
    4. Honda Accord
    5. Toyota Camry

Not all domestics are inferior to Japanese cars. Also I heard that the Venza dashboard materials are disappointing in their overall quality. Much like in the Camry reviews which criticise the plastic quality.
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    I'm currently a very happy owner of a crv. may consider looking at venza after lease is up. i'm 60 and what i love about the crv is how easy it is to get in and out of. I practically just slide in and out of the thing. For those that have sat in the venza, how is entrance and exit/ The camry and others are terrible. have to fall in and climb out of the car
    Tell us about the drive. What did you like, didn't like etc. I want to read it from a consumer's point of view and not one of the usual mag/rag writer's. Sometimes I wonder if those guys actually drive the vehicles they write about.
    I don't think there will be a feeding frenzy with this one due to current market conditions. Fitzmall is already discounting them and they aren't at their dealership yet. That should tell you something. Other than having a Camry wagon and calling it something else I don't see the point of this vehicle with the already bloated stable of suv's Toyota offers. It does look nice except for the Ford Edge looking snout. Makes you wonder if Ford copied the FTS-X concept or if they already had the Edge in the pipeline considering it takes the domestics longer to bring a vehicle to market as opposed to Toyota that does it in 18 months or so.
    From JD Power :

Top 5 Midsize Cars in Dependability
    Overall Rating
    1. Chevrolet Malibu
    2. Ford Fusion
    3. Mitsubshi Galant
    4. Honda Accord
    5. Toyota Camry

Not all domestics are inferior to Japanese cars. Also I heard that the Venza dashboard materials are disappointing in their overall quality. Much like in the Camry reviews which criticise the plastic quality.

What year was this survey taken? and was it initial quality and not long term reliability?
    I've heard from someone who has first hand experience with Toyota and read the opposite in regards to the interior quality of the materials used in the VENZA. As a matter of fact the person called the interior "gorgeous" and said the quality of the materials was just as good if not better than Lexus. All reviews so far state the same.
    Since they are arriving at dealerships I'll stop by and check one out for myself after work tomorrow.
    Please post a link to the JD Power survey.
    You'll love it. It's exactly what you want. It's not too high that an elderly parent might need a step ladder to climb up into it but it's not as low as a sedan.
    It is jdpower,com and look under automative and midsized sedan. It is recent because the Malibu is pretty new.

I can`t believe the Venza has better interior quality than Lexus, otherwise why buy a Lexus! I am looking forward to seeing on ein person but not all reviews are uniformily great about the interior quality so don`t drink the Kool-aid just yet. It is an individual opinion anyway when you get to touch them and check for any hollowness.
    I agree sales won`t be as expected due to the economic situation. ALL auto comapnies are having a bad time with negative sales (the 6 largest at least) and even Toyota is losing $700 million in North America this year what with the poor Tundra sales throughout the year and now the economic situation.

I don`t think the Japanese get cars out that much quicker than domestics. Maybe in the past but the gap will have significantly closed - just by improvements in factory design, procurement etc which is easy to copy from Honda, Toyota etc.
    From Edmund;s test drive: Pros: Versatile wagon body style, carlike handling, powerful yet fuel-efficient V6, upscale styling inside and out, high-quality interior materials.

From Automobile mag: Though the Venza was designed by Toyota's US division for strict sale in North America, the link to the RX is quite strong. Considering that the current RX is derived from the same platform as the previous Highlander creates a bit of a genetic link, while the new Venza's upscale interior shares a similarly luxurious atmosphere as the current RX. From the piped leather seats to the matte wood trim that adorns the waterfall center console and high-mounted gearshift lever, the Venza looks different from most Toyota interiors and should appeal to a younger, less conservative audience. And while this new crossover is likely to slot in at a lower starting price point than the Highlander, it can still be had with high-end goodies like a reverse camera, a panoramic sunroof, push-button start and more.

Organic, flowing, but it's still very much a Toyota, although considerably more high-end in appearance.

and the list goes on. There are a few Toyota detractors out there, seems to me you are one of them but hey everyone has opinions right? And by the way, I don't drink kool aid.
    ;)
    I can tell you aren't a student of the automotive industry. Do some research and you will find Toyota gets cars out from design to production in 18 months. They are the most efficient manufacturer in the world. Why do you think everyone is gunning for them? ;)
    Toyota invented the "just in time" manufacturing system and also "kaizen" which mean continous improvement. They learned all these principles from our very own Dr. W. Edwards Deming who helped the Japanese get back on track after we nuked the hell out of them in WWII.
    Rather ironic isn't it?
    Here's part of his life story:
    link title
    :)
    I am not a detractor of Toyota or any other company. I just don`t like myths to build up - like Toyota makes no mistakes, explain the new Tundra or Detroit makes crap - explain the new, award winning Malibu.

Toyota are efficient but my point was other companies will have closed the gap substantially - years ago GM was years behind Toyota (or Honda for that matter) in the time it took to get a car to market. Now that gap is measured in months so I do know some automotive history and being from the UK I also have the perspective that Toyota is not doing well in Europe. Otherwise they would not be stuck in single digit market share year upon year and they would not drop the Corolla name and come up with "Auris". That is the sort of thing Detroit did when a car had a bad history (Cobalt etc).

With regards the interior I will make my own judgement, which everyone should do, and I am quite prepared for it to be a good judgement since most companies have interiors of high quality (Ford Flex comes to mind in the reviews). Maybe what I saw were noit motoring journalist comments but fellow shoppers.
  • seatoyotasalesseatoyotasales Member Posts: 36
    Got our first Venza in this week in Sunset Bronze with the cream color leather interior, V6, FWD, JBL, etc. Not only does this car look awesome in this color (its about time Toyota got bolder with their colors) but the interior is a class act all the way. I was the first sales person to take it out and I put on the live version of Hotel California and cranked it up. Sound system is awesome. The power in this car is outstanding and the ride is great. Not mushy like the Highlander. Not a squeak or rattle in the car. Auto trans shifts very smooth and the gauge panel is great looking. All windows are auto up/down, have lighted switches including the ones on the steering wheel and even the cupholders are softly lit.

Backseat is extremely comfortable and lots of room in the back. It has a full size spare tire and a thick carpet cargo mat over a plastic/resin material like in the Matrix.

However, there are a couple of fit and finish items and I will have to wait until the next one arrives to compare. Glovebox is slightly mis-aligned and the area where the back up camera is has a mis-aligned panel on the dash. Otherwise the doors shut with a nice thud and it is a pleasure to drive.

I am anxiously awaiting an AWD model to compare and the one we are getting in will have the new generation Nav system and the dual pane sunroof.

We have had lots of lookers at it and everybody so far has said "wow"

My personal list thus far of things I would like to see are-- (and of course these are just my opinions)

A black leather seating as an option. Only available in light grey or ivory now.
    Add a power cushion extender to the driver seat. Highlander Limited has it.
    Offer Auto Rain sensing wipers.
    Offer a Dark Metallic blue instead of light/med blue they have now. Toyota seems to be leaning away from their dark blue colors on their cars.

Fire away any questions you might have. I am in Seattle so each region may be getting differently equipped versions on the first shipment.
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    As I stated earlier, ease of entrance and exit are very important to me. Love the CRV because of this. How does the venza measure up?
    I agree that color looks great in the brochure and website so pleased to hear it is great in the flesh. I also agree that a darker color fabric/leather is required so that marks from children do not show!
    Do you think 3 full sized adults can fit in the back row in reasonable comfort?