Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Venza Crossover

Comments

• jtmjw2jtmjw2 Member Posts: 6
    Wow sorry you must work for toyota I guess, didn't mean to ruffle you feathers buddy. Actually no. According to the 12 dealers like I stated before, the dealers said the are not getting any 4cy and if the do it is only 1. Or they could be ordered.

Maybe I missed the inside information that you obviously have. Could you let me know where those good quantities are going to be next week?

So I can know it!
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    Maybe you missed the initial launch schedule. Now you know it.

I agree with you in general -- if dealers could sell 4-cylinder models, they would. You can't sell what you don't have or don't know. You could have stated that without the hint of attitude, but that's just my two cents.

One could argue that every dealer should know what's going to hit their lots in the coming weeks. That too opens a can of worms. If you start to "pre-sell," you're taking the risk that the vehicles will arrive when you think they will. If they don't, you've got angry customers.

If you don't pre-sell, customers think you either 1) don't know anything; or 2) are intentionally not telling. Again, angry customers.

It's a tough situation for everyone. I'm not in the auto business, but I'm facing a similar issue in my own line of work (and I'm seeing it from the "dealer" perspective).

By the way: in my area, I'm having the opposite problem locating a Venza V6. The only ones available are basic cloth-seat models -- lots of them, in all different colors. All the ones with the Premium Package have been sold, including the distributor's next allocation.
  • feltfelt Member Posts: 105
    I find it interesting that Toyota (the world's largest car manufacturer) reports big 4th qt losses; sales are flat across the entire industry; they bring out a new car that is generating a lot of interest; and they pitch it as a low volume car, and allocations are limited? Wouln't Chrysler love to have that problem?

Tell me about the 6 speed auto. Is it a 5 speed plus OD? In 1956 I owned a 3 speed stick with OD ... In each gear you could engage the OD, so, there were 6 ratios, but it was not a true 6 speed.

Anyone have more information about the downshift hesitation?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    My guess would be that when mated with the V6 2 of the six "hard" gears will be OD ranges. And we already know that the lockup clutch is used in gear ratios below OD, making the 6 speed possibly a "9" or even a 10 speed.

With the I4 only the "top" gear is likely to be an actual OD range.

The 2010 RX350 includes the most current firmware "fix"(***) for the 1-2 second downshift delay/hesitation so my guess would be that this problem will remain with Toyota and Lexus for a few more years.

*** Watching the rate at which the gas pedal is released to determine the driver's future intent, IMMEDIATE future intent.
    Anyone have any opinions on the tires that come with the Venza? I've seen Goodyear Eagle RS-A and Michelins, with most of them being the latter.

Looking at tirerack.com, the Michelins appear to be much higher rated than the Goodyear. There's also a huge price difference between the Goodyears and the Michelins.

So...if the Venza I'm looking at has Goodyears on, I'm planning to ask the dealer if he'd be willing to swap them. But is there really that big of a difference between the two brands?
  • md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    Believe what you read on tirerack.com, especially the owner surveys. Of course, if you always drive on dry roads and don't push your vehicle too hard, then you won't notice much of a difference between any two tire models. But if your roads get wet and/or snow covered sometimes and you like to go around curves a bit faster than the speed limit sign suggests, and if safety is of some importance to you, go with better tire - the Michelin in the Venza's case. If the dealer won't make a swap for you (even if you offer them $50 to do it), consider quickly replacing the RS-As with something like a Yokohama Parada Spec-X and sell the Goodyears on Ebay. The Yokohamas will end up costing you about $750 shipped, mounted & balanced, but you'll be a lot happier and safer. And if they help prevent even one minor accident versus the Goodyears, they'll pay for themselves immediately.
  • mutthead52mutthead52 Member Posts: 10
    md outback speaks well. Trust tirerack surveys, and buy from them when necessary. I have and can vouch. On my Venza order I wrote the Michelins into the contract. Snow, bad weather and mileage difference are all very significant vs Goodyears. Costco tireman in my snowy mountain area further affirmed the winter capabilities of the Michelins. The Yoko Paradas are also a very good choice, but not IMO better than the Michelins, so insist on the Ms in your order or search. BTW, all the gripers about 20" tires and cost should realize that the Highlander Limited leaves you NO decent choices of AS tires--a serious problem. Venza V6 has multiple good choices.
    Thanks to both of you for your comments. Although snow is not an issue where I live, we have poor weather just like anywhere else. Any additional traction is a good thing. I also read -- though all anecdotally -- that the thread life on the Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires is disappointing, so that's another notch in favor of Michelin.

I'll insist on Michelins -- hopefully if the one I want has Goodyears on them, I can convince the dealer to swap them for me.

I did a quick Google search of the Venza's tire size (245/50R20) and it looks like it's a pretty popular tire size. The Dodge Nitro, Mazda CX-9, Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX all seem to use that particular 20 inch tire size.
  • toyotaslasttoyotaslast Member Posts: 15
    Hopefully this also applies to the 4c that has 19 inch tires . anyone know if the size difference changes anything?
    The same make & model of a tire should perform similarly regardless of size - though some vehicles may "like" a certain type of tire better than another. The big uncertainty with the 4 cyl Venza is that there are very few 245/55R19 tire models available. The tirerack shows only a Bridgestone Dueler H/L400 (a really horrible tire) and I think there may be a Toyo and a Blizzak model around. We'll have to see what Toyota puts on the 4 cyl Venzas when they arrive. I believe this same size is also used on some Highlander models, so it's surprising there isn't a bigger selection.
  • toyotaslasttoyotaslast Member Posts: 15
    I also researched it and that seems to be the only tire made in that size. How can that be ?
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I also researched it and that seems to be the only tire made in that size. How can that be ?

Sometimes an OEM will work with tire suppliers to develop a specific size with specific characteristics for a particular vehicle (Mazda's original Miata was famous for this, and most Porsches have a specific tire designed for that particular model, referenced with a P in the model number (but not the size, most cars have P referenced in the the width).

When Chrysler launched the minivan, it used an awkward size as well, it was like a 195/75R15 or 205/70R15, both were pretty hard to find (the GY Invicta GL was about it) but now that is a very common size for passenger cars. It just takes a little while to proliferate the market. Of course, if the market isn't big enough for the tire manufacturers, then it will stay hard to find.
  • crucialcrucial Member Posts: 35
    Very detail comparison. What's year model your 4Runner?
    Any measurement in driver seat height difference vs HL, CRV or RAV4 ?
  • crucialcrucial Member Posts: 35
    Any measurement in driver seat height difference vs HL, CRV or RAV4 ?

Re: Some personal views on the Venza [qs933]When I test drove the Venza, what struck me was not so much the seat height, but the expanse of the dash area compared to a truck-based SUV like my 4Runner. The large dash and small side windows made me feel like I was sitting lower than I actually was.

Earlier in this thread, there were actual measurements of a Venza's seating height and my 4Runner. I believe the seating height (at both the highest and lowest positions) of the Venza was roughly 5 inches lower than the 4Runner. If anyone has access to a Highlander and an RX, that would probably be a better comparison.

Looking at the dimensions of the Venza and the 2010 RX, the Venza is 3 inches shorter, has 0.8 inch higher ground clearance, and is about 1 inch longer and wider.

My 4Runner is a 2005 Sport Edition RWD with a manual seat (not power). The 4WD and models with a power seat may be slightly different, though I doubt it's significant.

Unfortunately, I don't have easy access to a Highlander, CRV, or RAV4 for comparison. I would guess that the Highlander is somewhere in between the 4Runner and Venza, but that's just a guess.
    I have been studying the Toyota web-site, and find that the per-designed packages do not include options I want (or to be more accurate, include options I do not want). Is it possible to order exactly what is wanted? I know there is a 12 week delay ... that is OK, I am in no rush. And I know that dealers would be less likely to "deal." That is more problematic.

This business of an allocation is ridiculous. With Toyota announcing lay-offs, and reducing shifts, I cannot believe they would not process an order irregardless of a dealers allocation.

If these options are not possible, I may just wait for the Honda crossover, or buy something else.

Congress cut the incentive to buy now.
    There is a wide, WIDE world of difference in the 4runner 2WD/AWD/4WD system and the Venza and even moreso for the HL. The HL relies ONLY on TC braking to "enforce" engine torque distribution when a wheel(s) loses traction with the roadbed.

The new Venza and 2010 RX350 F/awd systems make use of an entirely different design, very much like that used for the past 3-4 years by Ford in the Escape and Mariner and now Mazda in the CX-7. This "new" system remains primarily FWD but with the ability to shift up to 50% of engine torque to the rear when/if conditions warrant.

I fully expect that the next models of the HL and Sienna will be adopting this "new" system.
    While you can supposedly custom order a Venza, I have not seen any message yet from someone who has actually tried this successfully. What options do you not want? The larger dealers that have a reasonable supply of Venzas (more than 10) seem to have a variety of vehicles from lightly equipped to fully loaded with more on the way - including 4 cylinders now in the pipeline. You are correct that a dealer is less likely to negotiate hard for a custom order, so you may actually get a better deal by accepting some options you don't want but buying a car already on the dealer's lot. And you get the car immediately.

And if you decide to wait for the Honda, you'll probably run into the same problem. I was in the market for the new 2008 Accord coupe in late 2007. Problem was, each dealer only had one or two and those did not have the options or colors I wanted. I would have had to wait more than 6 months for the supply to build up enough so that there were a few choices available.
  • kharriskharris Member Posts: 41
    wwest--
    Can you give me your sources of information on the current(2008/2009) Highlander AWD system, in particular where you say that it relies only on traction control for power distribution? I'd like to research this for myself. Thanks!
    Thank you md outback for your response. I think I already knew the answer ... but it is nice to get confirmation. My problem is I still think this is a buyers market. I think GM and Chrysler would "bend over backwards" to sell a car. Toyota does not seem to have that mind set. I have no use for the DVD system, (do not even want it in the vehicle); I am not so passionate about the moon roof, but have no need for one (my HL has one and I rarely open it). But I do want leather and the Nav. system. I think I best wait and see what develops. Not to inject politics, but this congressional spending bill is going to change a lot of factors. I think we are facing a tremendous inflation cycle, and it is hard to know what to do. I could buy a new car now, but I am having a "stupor of action."
    "..sources of information.."

Too numerous to mention...

Factory repair/shop manuals for the '00 and '01 RX300 which uses the very same F/awd system as the HL and Sienna with the exception that the RX300 series included a VC, Viscous Clutch" to partially (think rubber band windup) lock the otherwise fully open center differential.

Other than the internet my primary research resource at the moment is techinfo.toyota.com

HL and Sienna F/awd systems had three fully open differential, front, center, and rear. As long as all wheel/tires have roughly equal traction engine torque distribution will be 25/25/25/25. The instant any one wheel loses traction the engine torque will be limited by the level of traction of "that" wheel. TC will quickly detect the wheelspin/slip and INSTANTLY dethrottle the engine while simultaneously moderately braking the slipping wheel(s) in order to sustain engine torque at a high enough level to drive the wheels with traction remaining.

There are numerous instances wherein TC is not an acceptable solution so the newer vehilces have the ability to turn TC off.

In wintertime adverse roadbed conditions the simplist and BEST way to assure roughly equal traction all around, FULL AWD functionality, is to install tire chains on all four tires. Regretably Toyota and Lexus have made that an impossibility for the RX, HL, and Sienna due to the low clearance at the rear between the tire and suspension.

My '01 F/awd RX300 has 1.5" wheel spacers all around to remove that limitation.
    Packaging options has been the case for quite some time. Honda (DX/LX/EX) has been doing it since almost their inception in North America. Arguably, part of the problem with F/GM/C is that they don't do it enough. Making a one off model is much more expensive than making a bunch of them all the same. There is an economy of scale at play here.
    Sure you might be able to get one-off options, but those options cost more than a discounted package. Even F/GM/C bundle things (moons/toons is a popular one, where the high end audio system is packaged with the sunroof, and the package is cheaper than the roof or the stereo by itself).
    Having choices is a good thing though, you might look at the way options are packaged for competitive vehicles to see if they are a better match for your needs.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Very very true. One of the reasons why the D3 are in such dire straits now is that they allowed too many variations and options thus limiting the length of runs at the factory level. Honda and Toyota package their options and have longer less costly runs of the same vehicle over and over and over.

In addition to somewhat lower cost the main benefit of these long repetitive runs is lower defect rates. This is a prime theorem in Statistical Process Control. Get long runs of the same product and keep screwing down the tolerances tighter and tighter and tighter. DON'T stop the line if at all possible.

That being said with the vehicle being made in KY it should be possible at some time in the future to special order a Venza with leather, Navi but no Sunroof and no RES. However this is key.......make friends with a reputable dealer who will work with you.

A walkin wanting a special order likely will not happen. OTOH with today's economic climate stores might bend over backward.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I don't know, a Camry special order seems to just be the dealer looking around at other dealers to see if they have it. When business gets lean, Toyota seems to just slow the line rather than entertain variations which can add complications to their production methodolgy. If enough people request a different combination then they might build it.
    Again the Camry is built in KY so there is a little more flexibility. Most of the combos though are 'plug and play' and in fact there aren't that many of them. With the huge volume of Camry's being made every year each region should have a full complement of all the different variations.

The Venza at full production, not this year, will be about 15-18% of Camry production.
    Just so we're on the same page, my comparison to my 4Runner was in the context of the height of the driver's seat.

That's interesting, though, about the the differences between the Venza's AWD and Highlander's AWD.
    I've noticed that the comments on almost every article on the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo Concept has someone comparing it to the Venza.

What's funny is that BMW is trying to pull a Toyota with its "BMW has once again defined a brand-new vehicle segment" marketing message. :)
  • david_k1david_k1 Member Posts: 39
    Hello - 1st Post...
    I too am looking to order a Venza - although I really want the 4 cyl version with my choice of options.
    I have not seen or heard from any dealer in the Seattle area that knows anything about when the 4 cyls might arrive - So I contacted Toyota directly - and got this nice response:

"Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

We do apologize for any confusion in determining the release date for the 2009 Toyota Venza 4 Cyl. We do expect the Venza 4 Cyl to be available this February. The Venza 4Cyl will offer the same options and features listed on the V6 model.

Vehicle allocation is based on the geographical area in which they are marketed. Toyota dealerships and distributors are prepared to take your request and make every attempt to obtain the desired vehicle.

If the dealership is unable to locate the vehicle of choice, they may submit a preference request for your desired vehicle. This preference request does not guarantee you will receive the vehicle with the exact options requested, and may create an extended wait-time.

Toyota Customer Experience"

Looks like we might be able to get our choice of options if we are willing to wait!!
    I'll wait.
    Welcome to the boards :D

The 2.7L models are due to arrive in many locations next week as scheduled. Geography, weather and size of the dealership may play a role in who sees one first.
  • rexfrexf Member Posts: 20
    I looked at a Venza in person yesterday for the first time. There must be a large lot somewhere full of Cadillac Escalades up on blocks, since GM has apparently sold all the wheels to Toyota for use on the Venza...........HaHaHa......

Seriously, I was completely underwhelmed. Small cargo bay, unremarkable controls, Camry/Avalon to the max. The dealership had a Highlander Hybrid parked next to the Venza. I went back and forth a few times. Then I went home and used Edmunds new car 'comparison' tool and looked at the Venza vs. Highlander vs. Pilot vs. CR-V. Hmmmmm. My prediction: when the newness wears off (which is about 4-6 months at this time in economic history) it will become clear that Toyota has stolen a lot of sales from the Highlander. If Honda decides to import its Accord wagon, then we'll have a horse race. For now, especially with the tarted up V-6 models in the showroom, this is NOT a good nor educated purchase.
    I don't know if this vehicle is getting cross-shopped with the Mazda CX-7 or CX-9 or those are in a different category due to pricing or seating configurations. I am curious about the likes and dislikes between those models.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    BMW has once again defined a brand-new vehicle segment

Someone beat them to it. :P

BMW 5 Series GT: An AMC Eagle for the 21st Century

Now back to your regularly scheduled Venza programming. :)
    Then I went home and used Edmunds new car 'comparison' tool and looked at the Venza vs. Highlander vs. Pilot vs. CR-V.

I'm curious: What conclusions were you able to make from that comparison? Neither the Pilot nor the CR-V are apples-to-apples comparisons to the Venza, which is a good reason for Honda to look at introducing a version of the Accord wagon in the US.
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    I've looked at both the sienna and venza, the only thing in favor of the venza is that there is more goodies that are coming with the venza base model. Other then that , a minivan is unbeatable when you compare practicality and comfort for the money.

O the Venza looks better and different....but its not very important to me.
  • rexfrexf Member Posts: 20
    You are correct that this is not a comparison of models that are clearly 'the same.' I used it to see what you would get if you bought a Venza over a Highlander or Pilot or CR-V. The Highlander and Pilot offer more room at a comparable price and with comparable performance and economy. Toyota and Honda both produce well made cars so that is a toss up, although Honda generally trumps Toyota in terms of innovative interior features. The conclusion I reached was that there was no reason to buy a Venza over a Highlander. The fairer comparison is between a 4 cylinder AWD Venza and a CR-V in EX-L trim. The CR-V is smaller outside, has more cargo room and other interior dimensions very close to the Venza. The CR-V motor has less power, but it's hauling 450 pounds less weight (tsk, tsk on Toyota for producing another fatty). I'd say it's a tossup there, but I'd favor the CR-V which will be several thousand dollars cheaper than the Venza in comparable trim. Given that CR-V sales are down, Honda dealers may be more likely to discount their stock than Toyota dealers with a new model. You are correct that Honda should import the Tourer wagon, which would give Toyota a run for the money. As always, you should drive these competing models to decide for yourself what you like. You should include the Mazda CX-7 and CX-9 as well and perhaps a Ford product.
    ..have touched upon the wide variety of tastes and needs from the small entry-level RAV CR-V to the Venza/BMW/CX7/Accord to the Sienna to the CX9/Highlander/Pilot.

This is why the Venza and soon the others will exist. None of the foregoing vehicles meets all the preferences and needs of the entire population. It's a subsegment of 'utility' vehicle that has attraction for a certain part of the population. None of these are 'good' or 'bad'. They just 'fit' or 'don't fit'.

What the smart marketers have done is provide a series of choices for the huge number of the public which soon will be dropping off their SUVs and luxo-trucks in favor of smaller vehicles with better fuel economy but still some utility. These vehicles are a 'net' to capture as many of these defectors from the BOF-type vehicles. If these new options didn't exist the buyers would go elsewhere. That's a mortal sin in marketing.
    The conclusion I reached was that there was no reason to buy a Venza over a Highlander.

For you, maybe. For me, there are several reasons to choose the Venza over the Highlander:
    I like the ride-height of a CUV/SUV and the flexibility to occasionally haul something that would be difficult in a sedan.
    I don't need a 3rd row of seats and the associated equipment that goes along with it (i.e. the rear air conditioner, which is optional, but can be found on most Limiteds)
    Based on the configurations brought in by my distributor, the Venza (Premium Package #1 + JBL) was about $2K cheaper than the Highlander Limited (JBL + Rear AC + Power Rear Door + spoiler).
    Venza leans more towards luxury (large wheels, standard dual-zone AC, optional HIDs, JBL Synthesis, soft-touch dash) while sacrificing some utility. Highlander leans more towards the utilitarian (flexible 2nd row seat) and sacrifices some luxury (hard plastic dash surfaces, plain leather seats).

As for the comparison between the CR-V and the Venza, I think it's fair to assume that some people will cross-shop between the two given the pricing overlap (high-end CR-V to 4-cyl Venza). I like the CR-V and it should be a little more nimble given that it's almost a foot shorter in length than the Venza.

The main reasons I didn't seriously consider it was 1) Like the Highlander (and Pilot), Honda leaned more towards utility rather than luxury; and 2) the 4-cylinder needs more power. From a fuel economy perspective, the CR-V 2WD is rated at a combined 23 MPG. The Venza V6 2WD is rated at a combined 22 MPG.

...Honda generally trumps Toyota in terms of innovative interior features

What kind of features?
  • kharriskharris Member Posts: 41
    Thanks for your helpful response. I've been continuing my own research and found that the Mercedes M type suv uses a system that sounds just like what you described for the HL and Sienna. The Mercedes suv system has 3 open differentials and uses traction control to handle the spinning wheel(or wheels). Makes me kind of wonder--if it's good enough for a Mercedes, it might be good enough for a Highlander. Still, I doubt that it will be as good as what I have now.
  • david_k1david_k1 Member Posts: 39
    I'm with you gs933 -

"My car" is a 4 Cyl Toyota 4X4 XtraCab P/U - I don't need 'utility' - I have that.

We need (want) a car for the family (wife, one kid and a dog!!). The 94' Volvo turbo wagon is nickel and dimen' us to death (although continues to be a scream to drive) and I (we) refuse to drive a SUV OR Minivan (philosophically anyway).

The Venza fits my family to a T. I think we must be the demographic Toyota designed it for.
    Ride height - Ingress/Egress - Mostly 'car like' handling - Decent Style factor - Semi-lux features - and best of all, MPG numbers (4cyl) that match my buddies wife's Mazda 3 hatchback. We are deciding the color as I write this!!

I am waiting (a little LESS patiently) to drive the 2.7 l4 and if it has adequate oomph we will be trying to order our dream machine ASAP...
    BTW, we are leaning RED!!

Any new information as to ship date on the 4 cyl??? I saw an earlier post suggesting THIS week... Seattle Metro area included??
    I don't pretend to know they do it, but the Mercedes is rear torque bias while the HL, RX and Sienna are front torque biased. That makes the Mercedes a much safer choice if you expect to encounter a lot of wintertime adverse roadbed circumstance.
    Winter tires mandatory here in Quebec , with the Venza coming with 20 inches tire...I , better go to the bank and negociate a second mortgage !!!
    I have read and re-read your post .... I cannot understand what your point is: "Toyota is Part of GM's turnaround plan????"

Every car buyer and owner has different reasons for selectiing what they do. From your post I seem to sense a "put-down" for persons favoring the Venza.

Personally, I like the vehicle. I do not consider it ,to any degree, in the same class with a CR-V. When I first saw the car, it reminded me of the Lexus RX-350 (profile), which my wife would love to have, and I have been holding back. We own a 2001 HL and it has been a near perfect vehicle, to the extent that I may just continue with it for several more years. For my needs, both the Pilot and the new HL have become too large, the CR-V too small.

I think Toyota has a "winner" in the Venza, and they have a "winner" attitude, meaning, they are going to need to "deal" to sell cars in this economy. Congress removed the incentive to buy now, so unless you need a car, why buy now? My prediction is we are going to face run-away inflation ..... it is hard to know what to do. If you live on a fixed income as many of us do, your net worth is going to suffer a "hit" in the future. Many of us will be priced out of the new car market.

I learned a long time ago ... do not put-down a persons reasons for favoring one car or another. That is why there are so many varieties available.
  • redrose1redrose1 Member Posts: 49
    We too live in Quebec and are considering the high cost of the tires. Are you looking at the Venza? We are deciding between the Forester, the Venza and the Rav. Any suggestions?
  • pasackpasack Member Posts: 3
    Well said! I took my first good look at Venza this weekend and, for the most part, really liked what I saw. In red or black, this is a very good looking vehicle, especially from the rear 3/4 view. In other colors, it looks goofy to me but to each their own, right? The ergonomics were correct and the cargo was large enough for our family.

The only two things I didn't like were the prices and the dealer. With all the ridiculous add-ons, this thing was about 10K more than a top of the line, fully stocked Camry hybrid. Second, the dealer did this weird thing where he said that they would only sell it for sticker price unless we bought it that day in which case he would get us a deal but we'd be paying full sticker for it. Guy didn't make an ounce of sense.

One question:
    1. Does anyone think it's likely that Toyota would offer incentives for the Venza in the next six months. If not, the current incentives on the Camry might be too much to pass up (Loaded XLE for 23.8K on edmunds)
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I think these may well be the car of the future. Face it, in a few years supply and demand will bring gas prices back up. As for the Venza, I expect it will be very strong for the next 6 months and then plateau a bit. However in the next 6-12 months Honda puts out a competitor and Ford moves its Edge and redesigned Explorer to 4 cylinder Eco-boost. In a few years I'm thinking these will be the volume segement in place of current SUV, CUV and minivans. Some may need a 3rd seat row, but most don't and will easily give it up for economy and driveability.I see a lot of promise in this segment despite past mistakes like Pacifica and Freestyle. Toyota will have to keep improving the Venza as the competition bar will rise soon, and I fully expect they will. If you buy a Venza this year it will probably have decent resale, but competition always rises the bar down the road. I expect to see Nissan and GM in this segment in the next few years as well (I'm not sure the Equinox is up to par for this segment and expect to see a better product from them).
    I never really considered the Venza seriously but I was curious about it.
    My G.Caravan lease contract expired in july and my first choice is the Sienna.

The Venza is really nice and well equipped but once again, practicality, room, and comfort is in favor of the minivan, its the best bang for the buck I think.
    If the Sienna should soon get the new F/awd system and the new I4 then that would be a REAL package. And the I4 with DFI...??
  • sbtatter1sbtatter1 Member Posts: 2
    What colour does it light up at night inside? I didn't like the camry colour when we test drove it 2 years ago, a light blue....Anyone got real world fuel mileage #'s yet?
  • rdeasonrdeason Member Posts: 11
    My wife drives it to work every day, all local streets and she gets a consistent 21.5 mpg. We will taking a long road trip soon and we will check our freeway mileage then. Our 2007 Camry V6 got 30 mpg on the freeway averaging 70 mph. on our last trip.
  • rdeasonrdeason Member Posts: 11
    Dealer here in Georgia gave us just over 2000 off sticker on a fully loaded V6 Venza. Had to haggle. Love the car.