Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Tires Wheels and Sensors

santafe08santafe08 Member Posts: 3
I just bought a Santa Fe SE, and I like it, except that I did prefer the smoother ride on the GLS, which has the 16" wheels, and therefore larger sidewalls and superior cushioning. I asked the service dept. at the dealership if I could change the SE's wheels to 16" GLE wheels. He said this was impossible, and gave some explanation that wasn't all that clear over the phone about wheel sensors. The circumference difference is negligible, so I honestly don't understand what the issue could be. Does anyone know why I shouldn't be able to do this? I plan on double-checking with another dealer.

Comments

• agiorgianniagiorgianni Member Posts: 1
    Hello All

I have a firend who needs new tires for her 2003 Santa Fe. What do folks here recommend, based on their experiences? Is there agreement in this group on which tire(s) are best? We're talking about 4x4 in the New York area. Some snow driving, but no off-roading.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Regards,

Anthony Giorgianni
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    i would just say goto tirerack.com and do the comparison there - the results of consumers experiences dictate the ratings of the tires - i'm sure this would help you... once you find what you like - you can purchase from them of shop around for a better price!
  • slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    I would suggest going to tirerack, they have lots of information about the correct tire fitment and comments from tire customers about their experience and how the tires have performed for them. My Santa Fe is brand new so I can't comment yet about the tires, although I am very satisified with the ride and handling so far and they perform well in the rain. They are Bridgestone Dueler H/T 684 if that is any help.
    the biggest complaint on these OE tires is the rough ride and road noise.... as soon as they wear out i'll be looking for something different - for a while they rated high in snow and wet traction which is what i look for most..
  • tallyclassictallyclassic Member Posts: 14
    There seems to be a contradiction:
    Our manuals and I believe the door pillar state that tire pressure should be 30psi on a 2007 SF Limited.
    Why does the tire say max pressure of 44psi????

I understand that that is at max load (GWVR), but a 14lb difference in pressure?? The SF doesn't have that big a load carrying capacity. 3/4 ton pickups don't change that much.
    No wonder some people have tire wear issues! I remember some threads discussing whether to use 30, 32 or 35lbs. The dealer set mine at 32. I'll see if I can get Bridgestone to comment......
    some people swear by what the door pillar says - some believe that it only applies to the OE tires... from what i know - it is the safest tire pressure to use for using the car as it was intended - - - if your putting heavy loads then of course you want higher tire pressure - that particular tire has its individual max pressure - doesn't mean you need to put it all the way up to the max for any reason... for whatever type of way you drive you can play with tire pressures to get the vehicle to perform differently but the manufacturer states what the tire pressure should be - play at your own risk... I had a 1990 Eagle Talon once - i saw an article in a performance car magazine that tested tire pressures for optimum handling - of course the best result was not what was suggested by the manufacturer... lower pressure all around and lower pressure in the rear than the front - but they were looking for handling - not better mpg or reduced tire wear - those would no doubt need yet another tire pressure setting...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I had a 1990 Eagle Talon once ...

So did I! I would run at higher pressure because of the low profile tires. Low pressure will cause other problems! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    It just doesn't make any sense!! I drove it to work this morning at the new pressure of 38lbs and I couldn't tell any difference. I had to tell myself to pay attention to see if I could tell it was riding harder.
    When I raise my other car, which has 18" lowprofile tires just 3-5psi over the sidewall rating....It's obvious!!!

Here's what I sent to Bridgestone for their comment:

I have a 2007 Hyundai SantaFe Limited that has the Bridgestone Dueler H/T 684II tires.
    The manual and the sticker on the doorjamb both say to inflate to 30lbs. The dealer delivered the vehicle with 32. Various discussion forums on the SantaFe bounce back and forth on recommending either one.
    Then I read the sidewall and it says 'max load 1,320 @44lbs'.
    This vehicle lists at 3,800 dry. So with 2 passengers and fuel, estimate that it all weighs 4400lbs. That's 1100lbs per tire.
    How could Hyundai be recommending reducing tire pressure over 25%???

Hyundai is going to put a tire on there that matches as close as possible to the SanteFe GVWR. Putting more tire than necessary would cost them money. And just because a tire has a high load capability, doesn't mean you can reduce the pressure just because the sidewall can take it.

Something is really not right here......
    i ran 29 in front 27 in rear on the talon - great cornering - goodyear eagle gt+4's
    I got a reply from Bridgestone. It seems that the 30psi is correct and is calculated via the weight of the vehicle.
    I stand corrected.
    Bob,
    According to my source, the 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited was equipped with the P235/60R18 102H tire size. This tire has a maximum load capacity of 1874 lbs. when mounted on a passenger car. When mounted on a light truck or SUV, the load capacity of a P metric tire is decreased by 9%, so that tire on your SUV has a maximum load capacity of 1703 lbs. or 1570 lbs. at 30 psi. As you can see, this tire size has plenty of reserve capacity for the weight of your vehicle.

Would you please confirm two things and let me know what you find:
    1) Is P235/60R18 102H the tire size on your Santa Fe
    2) Re-confirm the actual stamping on the sidewall of the tire.

The Stamping should read something like the following:
    850kg @ 300 kPa / 1874 lb. @ 44 psi

The actual tire is stamping is very important - if incorrect, we need to address it right away.

Mark Kuykendall
    Engineering Manager
    Bridgestone Passenger/Light Truck Tires

Bob,
    Thank you for the confirmation.
    Our recommendation is to follow the vehicle mfg. recommended air pressure - in this case, 30 psi.

We make this recommendation because the vehicle was likely developed on this air pressure - load capacity, ride, and handling performance all rely on the air pressure in the tire. Air pressure is just one of the tools vehicle mfg. will use to find the best balance of these performance parameters.

As an aside, the maximum load capacity of your tire is actually achieved at 35 psi - we allow up to 44 psi to help tune ride/handling characteristics, but with no increase in load capacity. As you can see, this can get a bit complex - this is why we ask that one exercise care when changing tire sizes/load ratings from the original equipment size/load rating.

Mark Kuykendall
    Engineering Manager
    Bridgestone Passenger/Light Truck Tires
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    Amazing...A Very Responsive company! VERY NICE LETTER...Thanks for sharing!!

One thing not mentioned is the change in Temps during Summer/Winter...I make small adjustments for the climate and radical chg in temps here in Northern Nevada. I definitely stay at 30lbs in summer (expansion of hot air) (Hey, I did something right) A little higher pressure in the winter! (contraction of cold air). Luckily I have a decent compressor setup in the garage...makes it easy! :)
  • stelmoqnstelmoqn Member Posts: 34
    Since I just got my new Santa Fe Limited AWD a couple of weeks ago, I haven't had a chance to test the tires out in the snow here in Colorado. Someone made the recommendation to my husband to switch out the OEM tires (Bridgestone Dueler H/T) to snow tires this winter.

However, in reading posts on this (and other) forums, there seems to be a LOT of kudos for the Nokia WR SUV tires, which can be left on year round.

Suggestions and comments appreciated folks -- the snow will be here before you know it. Would also appreciate links and pricing info on the Nokia tires too...
  • riccardo259riccardo259 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody know if I can switch the 235/60R/18 on my 2007 Santa Fe 3.3 to rims with 235/70R/16 for the winter. The 16s are about half the price of the 18s?
  • kdahlquistkdahlquist Member Posts: 130
    Should work fine. The difference in circumference is less than a half inch, or less than one half of one percent.
  • supawingsupawing Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2007 Santa Fe limited purchased in October 2006. Everything runs well however in Jan of this year when the temp dropped below 32 degrees the low tire pressure light came on for the front left tire. It stayed on for a few days and eventually went out when I was able to get on the highway and drive at a higher speed. It happened a few times but by the time I got back to the dealer for an oil change I had forgotten to mention it. Recently the weather started getting colder (I live in Massachusetts)and the same light warning for the same tire came on again and stayed on for 2 days until I was able to drive on the highway. I took the car in for a power seat problem and asked the dealer to take a look at the tire pressure issue as well.
    Their response to me when I picked up the car was this was a known Hyundai issue with no available fix. Rather then get into an argument with someone who did not appear to know or care if this was true I decided to ask this forum if anyone has ever heard of this before.
    Your help is appreciated
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    You don't mention what your tire pressure was. If it was borderline, then the lower temperature could send it below the required pressure (cold air compresses so the pressure decreases, hot air expands so the tire pressure increases).
  • supawingsupawing Member Posts: 7
    God point, however each time I checked the tire pressure it was at 30psi which is the recommended air pressure, the same as the other three tires.
    Hi,
    I live in Northern Nevada. The temps can really vary wildly....currently the pressure is set at the factory recommended 30lbs.

I hardly have more than 1 passenger and have yet to tow something (I did put a hitch and plug and play harness...just in case!

Does anyone in the cold climate make adjustments for the temperature outside

Almost of the SUV dealers here run their tires at 35lbs (cold tire) all year round no matter what the door jamp sticker says! Is that a good idea? Even the Hyundai dealer says to run 35lbs.....

If this post repeats, please disregard...last posts do not appear to have gone thru
    TIA
    For those of us living in cold climates it may be wise to pick a cold night and check your tire pressure. it will probably be down 4-5 lbs because of then cold (mine were)

Luckily In have a nice compressor and digital gauge so I brought them back up to 30 lbs cold pressure (dealer recommended it too)

Interestingly, the dealer told me all tires leak air As much as i dislike the 18" Bridgestones they never lost a pound during spring/summer and the present loss is definitely due to temperature. No Nitrogen fill either!
    You can expect to lose about 1 psi in pressure for every 10 degrees Fahrenheit drop in temperature.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    your not actually losing air just air pressure...
  • scottk2scottk2 Member Posts: 19
    And does that lead to lower mpg? I appear to be getting slightly lower mpg since its been a bit colder the past couple weeks in New England.
    Low pressure, winter blend gas, and a cold engine staying cold longer can cause lower mileage. Until my 3.3L engine warms up, the Mileage is horrible. In town it is also not good! Winter has been worse than summer as well. Funny, my supercharger in the since sold Mini Cooper loved cold air, when I owned it.

Having the correct pressure sure cannot hurt either your mileage or/and tire wear. There are mixed opinions as to whether low air pressure will but I vote yes...it will be lower with poorly inflated tires. (unscientific)
    Do you mean a 1psi loss for every 10 degree drop in temp? 1 for 1 seems way too extreme.
    Thanks, Oscar! I mistyped that but I've corrected it.

Just to be clear, a 10° F change in temperature produces 1 psi change in pressure.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    One thing I was worried about prior to purchashing a santa fe were the 18 inch tires that come with it. I knew they would be expensive.

I went to Walmart to pick up some stuff and noticed they did not carry 17 or 18 inch tires. The tire guy said they don't because they need a balancer that can handle the larger size tires.

Has anyone found a cheap source for replacements? I won't need them for awhile but it would be good to know. I don't like paying MSRP for tires. I usually go to Sams.

Anyway Walmart can order P235 60 R18 but can not install them. For those who want to know they have bridgestone for 180.00/ea and Michlean for 230.00/ea out the door, but you would have to find someone to mount and balanced them as walmart does not. I would look at the treadware and ratings on the tire. I have a feeling the michleans would last much longer. The OEM bridgestones have a 320 treadlife.

Who would have thought it would cost $1000.00 bucks to replace 4 tires. Not me!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Check http://www.tirerack.com. They have 18" tires as low as $103 per tire depending on your requirements and preferences.
    The prices look pretty good at tirerack. Just have to find out the real specs on the tires. As far as trendware and the A and B and C stuff. Opps I was wrong,
    they do have the specs they are under UTQG without that you can't tell the real quality of a tire. But it looks good. Could save us a ton of bucks. the Kumho have excellent ratings. They only cost 103.00 and 45.00 to ship. But says backorder all over the place.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    If you buy from tirerack, who installs them?
    once they ship - you take them to an installer of your choice - or you can look at a list of preferred installers that they can directly drop ship the tires to - then you can make an appt to have them installed...
  • pjk1pjk1 Member Posts: 1
    Is it really necessary to use a torque wrench to tighten the wheel nuts every time you change/rotate a wheel - 2007 Santa Fe?
    i would - you should know the proper torque and tighten the lug nuts accordingly - if too loose you could have a wheel fall off - if too tight you could warp the brake rotors and it makes it tough to get the wheels of for the next service....
  • fred63fred63 Member Posts: 23
    Does anyone know the proper torque in case anyone would want to know? Thanks.
  • edmac1edmac1 Member Posts: 36
    65-80 lb-ft, according to hmaservice.com. This seems like a wide range, but I'm no expert. I told my mechanic to use 75.
  • chiwlfchiwlf Member Posts: 6
    Hyundai spec is 80 ft lbs
  • fred63fred63 Member Posts: 23
    Thank you. :)
    Had to get one of my tires patched with only 8800 miles on it. Had a nail.

Anyway since the car has those auto sense valves to have the computer check the tire pressure the repair was expensive.

One place wanted 49.00 to put a patch on. When I took it to a place accross the street they wanted 39.00 but gave us some discounts and got it down to 22.00

A patch job at walmart cost 7.50 but since these tires are 18 inch I could not take it to them.

Anyway they say they have to replace the valve with another when they take the tire off. The valves are special so the car can read the pressure. This is the same for all new cars. These little gizmos give little benefit but cost much to fix it seems.

I really dont think they needed to cut my valve in the first place to replave the tire. All they needed to do was remove the nail the tire would deflate on its own. But you know how lazy tire places are they wanted to cut that sucker off. So be aware of this.
  • tv_fooltv_fool Member Posts: 1
    We had our 1st flat tire in our Sante Fe the other day. It was quite the adventure highlighted by my inability to find the jack. Of course the owners manual is MIA. Fortunatly we were within a short walk to the parts store for a cheap floor jack. My wife and I can not recall ever seeing one. Should it have been under the mat in the back over the spare in the little cargo area? I was a little embarassed to call the dealership. Did I over look it somewhere else?
    According to the manual, the tools should be to the left of the cargo area under the mat, and the jack should be in the frontmost part of the cargo area (near the 2nd row seats) under the mat.
  • larry571larry571 Member Posts: 4
    Does a simple tire rotation affect the dash TP monitor?
  • lucky15lucky15 Member Posts: 72
    I just had my tires rotated last week at 7500 miles and there was no change in the dash TP monitor.
  • larry571larry571 Member Posts: 4
    TY It's really a minor issue. This was also my first rotation at 7500 at Walmart. Since I had TSPM it was $5.00 extra per tire. When finished the mechanic said he was unable to reset the system. He did at least knock off the $5.00 per tire due to being unable to reset the system. I am unclear as to what he meant. No light is on. Guess I could let some air out of one tire temporarily to see if the proper dash light comes on.
    no - rotation and balancing will not affect - only problem is when this service is done - tire pressure is adjusted - so if it was set at 35psi from hyundai - which it shouldn't be - and the svc center changes it to 30psi - the moniter would read a loss of pressure and light will come on... i believe all the monitors are set for 30psi from factory
    I find it hard to believe that business`s like Walmart are charging $5.00 per tire because the Santa Fe has TPMS, when I had the tires rotated on my 07 Sante Fe the total charge was $8.00 period, for the complete tire rotation and there was no mention of resetting the system, and this was done at a specialty wheel shop, and no dash light came on afterwards. Is this another way of being ripped off like the tire balancing which in my area is about $8.00 per tire? I was carrying 33lbs. in the front and 30 lbs. in the rear, when I got home I just reversed the pressures, no problem.
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    I just had my tires rotated at Pep Boys for $10 +tax total- the dealership wanted $39-95 or somesuch. I'm not sure whether the TPMS system is reset every time the engine is turned on, or whether it holds a memory of the previous reading from the sensors since the engine was on before. Either way, my lights haven't come on and I've had it done twice now, and received a coupon for a free rotation next time!.
  • roudy1roudy1 Member Posts: 36
    My dealer only charges $12 (total) for tire rotation.
  • bannodbannod Member Posts: 24
    I was at the dealer's last week. I paid $16.80 for a tire rotation and $23.23 for an oil change.
  • sohocanadasohocanada Member Posts: 3
    Considering a 2008 Santa Fe GLS with 235/70/16 rubber. Beyond the cosmetic difference, are there any reasons to consider upgrading to a model with 18" wheels? Would also appreciate any feedback from owners running the smaller 16" wheels.
  • daveltddaveltd Member Posts: 13
    My wife just purchased a 2008 Santa Fe Ltd. During the many test I conduced before she purchased my finding were:

GLS tires were nosier on the highway & found it road rough riding on broken pavement.

The LTD with the 18" was a great improvement on both accounts.

Dave :D

PS What part of Canada are you in? I am in BC.
    The ride is slightly better with the 16 inch wheel (more rubber on the tire) and when you go to replace them you will find out the tire for the 16 inch is (much less) than for the 18 inch wheel. Hope this helps