Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Venza Lease Questions

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
edited May 2015 in Toyota
For current leasing information, go to 2015 Toyota Venza Lease Questions

Ask your Venza lease questions here!

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• bjgcpabjgcpa Member Posts: 4
    The Toyota web site now allows you to calculate the cost of a lease. So I did. I also priced out leases on Highlanders and did my homework. Right now, you can lease a 2009 RX-350 for $100 to $150 per month less than new similarly equipped Venza or Highlander lease. Wont ast long. The 2010 RX-350s are coming out in Feb or March 2009 and I think the dealers are liquidating their inventories for the new model year. I dont care what bells and whistles they put in the Venza. A 2009 RX-350 with all the bells and whistles compared to a loaded Venza is a no brainer. You can buy alot of gas for $150 a month.
  • md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    Hey bjgcpa, don't go by the numbers cranked out by Toyota's and Lexus' online payment estimator (they even warn in the fine print that the numbers aren't accurate). These do not always use the latest residuals and money factors. Having said that, it is likely very true that the outgoing RX350 will have much more attractive lease terms than the brand new Venza, so if you like the current RX, now is the perfect time to buy or lease, especially if you aren't impressed by the 2010 RX. If you like the Venza, ask this forum to get the latest Toyota Financial money factors and residuals for a specific Venza (include all info such as I4 or V6, FWD or AWD and option packages, show final MSRP), based upon lease term in months and mileage allowance. Once armed with that data, negotiate your best price on the Venza (some dealers are already showing very good Internet pricing). Note: I tried the Toyota payment estimator for a loaded Venza and the result showed that Toyota is either expecting the Venza to depreciate very rapidly (50% residual in 3 yrs/36K miles) and/or they are using a highly inflated money rate equal to 8% to 9%. Personally, I think they are waiting to see if there is serious demand for the Venza. If so, they can keep the rates up. If not, they'll come down to reality pretty quickly.
    I calculated the Venza lease assuming a 2,9% interest rate a residual value in the mid 50% range. Using the same lease length & miles, the 09 RX lease is about $125 per month less than the Venza. The RX is with the premium plus package. The 2010 RXs will be nicer but they will cost at least 10% more that the Rx's cost 4 months ago. I negotiated and signed the RX lease today. I an not waiting for the Venza. I have to beleive that the RX's will nicer than the loaded Venzas. The RX lease is $400 with $1000 down and a $3600 refundable security deposit
    Enjoy your RX. I have an '07 RX350 and it's a great vehicle. Make it even better by replacing the stock tires (I had Michelin Energy) with Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas. You'll trade off a little in ride comfort for dramatically better handling. Oh, and it does just fine on regular gasoline too. Best of luck to you.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    Given that the 2009 RX is on the way out, it's not too surprising that there will be some excellent deals as dealers try to move as many units as possible before the 2010 model hits in a few months.

I don't think you can go wrong with a good deal on an '09 RX. The RX is missing some features found in the Venza (and the 2010 RX) such as the Smart Key, but it does have things not found on any Toyota including a longer warranty, generally nicer interior materials (real wood, for example), and a premium dealership experience.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    I've already had three RXs (99, 01, 04), so I'm not interested in getting another one (and the 2010 doesn't look that much impressive either), but I'm very interested in the Venza. Could someone tell me what the monthly payment would be for a fully-loaded V6 (AWD, LX, NV & SR), 36-39 months, 10-12K/yr and no money down would run? Thanks.
    The Toyata web site lets you calculate this. Based on some of the pricing I did on their web site, I wouldnt be surprised if it ran at least $600 per month. Do you really think it worth that?
    Hey kyfdx, can you please provide current Toyota Financial Venza lease rates (money factor and residual)? I am looking at a loaded Venza, V6 AWD with Premium Package 2, Navigation and sun/moon roof. MSRP including freight is $37,955. Looking for lease rates on a 36 month/12,000 mile/per year term. I live in Maryland. Some folks are using Toyota's on-line payment estimator and I think it is kicking out some bad data. Thanks for your help.

MD
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    RX2009: 5 speed, lower fuel economy, gen5 nav. (does this rear seat fold down?)

Venz: 6 speed, gen6 nav.

Does Toyota allow you to lower lease rate by putting down refundable security deposits? BMW does, and it seems Lexus does (from the above $3,800 mentioned).
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    A 3600 Refundable Security deposit? Never heard of such a thing. So, you had out of pocket of about 5K, 3600 of which will be refunded to you at lease end? Is this added to the residual? Better check your fine print.
    Frankly, my wife currently owns an 06 RX 330 and I'm happier driving my CRV. I feel cramped in the RX, especially with the moonroof and the handling is a bit imprecise for me. So you may want to drive the Venza before you grab an RX lease.
    The extra security deposit is typically referred to as "multiple" security deposits and yes, they are refundable at the end of the lease and should not impact residual. Each multiple will reduce your money factor a certain amount as allowed by the leasing company. For example, for each additional $500 you may reduce the money factor by .00007 or so (varies by leasing company and the actual amount of the lease). Often this makes more sense than putting down the same amount as a capital cost reduction because you reduce your monthly payment by reducing the finance charge and you get the money back. I know that Lexus allows this and they are the same finance company as Toyota Financial Services, so I'm guessing Toyota may also allow it.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi md_outback. I have not seen Toyota Financial Services' residual values for the new Venza yet. I'll have to look into getting those. I doubt that Toyota is providing any sort of lease support on it yet though. If this is indeed the case and you were to lease one through Toyota Financial Services, you would have to use its standard lease program. Its current buy rate standard lease money factor is .00295 for consumers who qualify for its Tier 1+ credit tier.

Vehicles' money factors and selling prices are much more important numbers than the residual value anyhow. Dealers make their money on them. They are powerless to alter the resids.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Thanks Car_man.

MD
    I had just spoken with a salesman at Fitzmall.com and was told that a fully-loaded V6-AWD (LX, NV & SR), 36 months, 12K miles/yr, and no money down would run $656.75 per month, with the money factor at an incredibly high .000335!

Obviously Toyota is not too worried about competition when a fully-loaded 09 VW Tiguan is currently leasing only for around $400 per month Sign Then Drive!
  • CanStackerCanStacker Member Posts: 13
    Hi everyone,

Since Toyota has only built about 6500 Venzas, about 5 per dealer, and the fact that Georgetown is taking an extended holiday break, it would seem that incentives on the Venza may be little ways off. Also, since they launched it in December instead of January 2009, there will be a model year change later in 2009 ( before the current inventory is even close to one year old in actuality.

Thank you for this and other message boards on Edmunds.
    I decided to pull the trigger on an 09 Mazda CX9 instead, since Toyota didn't even want to be bothered ~ With MSRP of $40,860 (which is $2K higher than the Venza), I was able to drive away with nothing down, TTL included, for 36 months, 12K/year, a monthly payment of only $551! It is the Grand Touring model with all the amenities and very similarly equipped as the Venza.

BTW, I did go and look at the VW Tiguan and was very disappointed in everything about it!
  • CanStackerCanStacker Member Posts: 13
    Congratulations my3rdrx,

I've heard and read great things about the CX-9. I hope your car to turns out to be a great one.

CanStacker
  • genshermangensherman Member Posts: 6
    I have enjoyed this discussion. The Dealers are certainly not "dealing" much on Venza to my way of thinking considering the current economic environment. I just finished a TL lease (a realy fine car- but I want more trunk space.)
    I am looking at a Venza (The Acura dealer has offered me a 36 month lease on 2009 TL, base model, for $90 less a month than on the Venza described below.)

I am trying to evaluate the lease offer and wonder if it would pay to purchase a lease evaluation package. I have seen them on-line for $20 to $70. Are they worth the cost and effort?

The Venza lease I am being quoted is with an adjusted cap cost of $32K, money factor of .00285, and 36 months lease payment of $649 for 6 cyl Venza with JBL SYNTHESIS SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM (EJ) and PREMIUM PKG #2 (LX)
    What is a good way to evaluate this offer other than just looking at the ajusted cap cost and the money factor? Or is that all I really need to consider?
    Thanks.
    Hey gensherman, you should be able to evaluate a lease on your own when you are equipped with the right information. For your deal, you'll need more information, including: Full MSRP of the Venza, actual selling price (price as if you were paying cash), residual percentage (percent of MSRP you would pay for the vehicle at end of 36 month lease) and the money factor. Once you have that info, use any of several on-line lease calculators to determine your monthly lease cost. Armed with that information, go back to the dealer and renegotiate. I took a rough guess at MSRP and residual, but your figure of $649/month is way too high, even if your out of pocket costs are nothing more than first month's lease payment. The dealer is likely rolling in other costs such as taxes and acquisition fee (these are typical charges), and some unknown dealer "fees." Your best bet for getting a good lease deal is to negotiate your best purchase price (dealers here in the Wash DC area are offering Venzas for $3K to $4K below MSRP) and then understand every other charge that is going into the lease fee. And always shop around for the best deal, you can always bring the best offer back to your local dealer to see if they will match it. With Toyota Financial Services, the residual % and the money factor are pretty firm and the dealer has little control over these, thus the only thing they control is the purchase price. Good luck.
    If you're interested, this is the most helpful information on how to arrive at a monthly lease payment that I've found: http://www.leaseguide.com/lease08.htm
    No problem, md_outback.

Car_man
    Host
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a large finance magazine is looking to speak to Toyota Venza owners. If you are interested in speaking with the reporter, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information by Wednesday, January 14, 2009.
    thanks this was helpful
    Ok, thanks.
    I'll gather the info. there must be other charges not disclosed.
    The quotes I have been getting do seem very high for this vehicle.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    You could lease an X5 for less.
  • indianajohnsindianajohns Member Posts: 89
    I calculated the Venza lease assuming a 2,9% interest rate a residual value... That was the funniest post I've read around here in months!

When has Toyota ever had a lease rate in the 2.9% range??? 99% of the time they are at an un-leasable 7%. I would estimate an MSRP $32,000 Venza will probably lease at around $579 with zero down for 36 months.

Ridiculous considering you could buy one for $40 less per month.
    Actually, Toyota lease rates vary quite a bit, depending on the vehicle AND the geographic region your dealer is in AND your credit rating. Could be you are in a region that can command higher rates due to local competition and other factors. In my area (Baltimore/Wash DC) I've seen money factors equating to lease rates below 2%, but these are typically on vehicles in high supply that Toyota needs to move quickly. As long as Venzas are in short supply, lease rates will be higher than on other Toyotas. This could change as supply goes up if Venzas are not moving as quickly as Toyota hopes.
  • stoopystoopy Member Posts: 105
    I agree with IndianaJohns. Here's why...

According to this forum here are the Toyota money factors in APR form:
    2009 Prius 7.08%
    2009 Rav4 6.6%
    2009 Corolla 3.92%
    2009 Camry 3.24%
    2009 Avalon 7.08%
    2008 FJ Cruiser 6% (info from 09/07
    2009 Highlander 7.08%
    2008 Matrix 6.84% (from 04/07)
    2008 Sequioa 2.016% (from 08/08) Low money factor because residual was 46%
    2009 Sienna 1.8% (45% residual)
    2009 Venza 7.08%

My first point is 7 of the 11 are over 6%. The low money factors are low just to compensate for low residual so they can move cars. Historically, even the low ones were 5-7% before their residual values tanked. My second point is Toyota's standard money factor for Tier 1+ credit is 7.08%!! What is their Tier 2??? Don't want to even think about it. Yes, they do occasionally lower them here and there to move cars and to try to match the competition's lease rates but to have a standard lease rate of over 7% is laughable to me. In my opinion, I don't think it is financially beneficial to lease any car if the lease rate is over 4% (0.00167). Might as well buy it.
    Statistically, you agree with me, since IndianaJones stated: "99% of the time they are at an un-leasable 7%." And you showed 7 of 11 (64%) examples under the 7% mentioned by Dr. Jones. ;)
    My point was that Toyota lease factors have often been competitive when taken into context of the overall market. When a new model first comes out, the lease rate will be high. When they have a huge supply of a vehicle, the rate will come down. When it's late in a model year, the rate comes down. When they are trying to move more Camrys so they can say they outsold Honda Accords, the rates are better - for Camrys anyway. Toyota is a smart company and they recognize that in today's financial environment, leasing is a risky business, especially with a brand new vehicle. Who can predict what anything will be worth 3 years from now? So their response is to stay on the safe side and offer higher lease rates and/or lower residiuals for a while. However, if they find that Venzas are moving too slowly because no one has the cash for a $35K car, they will massage the lease numbers cautiously to drive up demand. Toyota, like nearly every car manufacturer is struggling right now and they face difficult decisions: Do they take measures to increase demand by lowering profit (i.e. reduced lease rates), hoping it results in enough increased sales to justify, or do they keep a reasonable unit profit at the risk of overall lower sales, meaning plant shut downs and layoffs. Toyota still has a strong balance sheet with around $100 billion in net assets and will continue leasing. Other firms like GM (with more than negative $60 billion in net assets) can no longer afford the uncertainty of leasing.
  • indianajohnsindianajohns Member Posts: 89
    Okay I admit I exaggerated the 99% of the time statement. I agree with Stoopy though about the ridiculousness of Toyota's base lease rate of .00280.
    Md_outback,
    I have a lease offer for Venza 6cyl FWD, with adjusted cap cost of $29,740.00; money factor of .00275.
    Cap cost is dealers invoice, plus destination charge, minus holdback.
    Lease is for 36 month, 25k miles per year for $648.83/month.

This still seems high to me even with the extra yearly milage. So far she has not given me a residual figure but I figure this lease should be around $540/ month. Am I way off the mark?
    Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.
  • stoopystoopy Member Posts: 105
    "This still seems high to me even with the extra yearly milage."

Do you think $650 a month on a 3 year lease is a TAD high??? You could PURCHASE this car at $30K, 60 months for $579 per month. $497 for 72 months.

So, yes $650 is very ridiculous even with the extra mileage. Why would you not just buy it anyway if you are going to put so many miles on it?
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I'm out of US and Internet is not readily available. I agree with another comment that you'd be better off buying instead of leasing. The money factor is nothing special and the residual for 25K miles will be very poor. Leasing is usually not the way to go if you drive a lot of miles per year - best if you can stay at 12K miles per year or less. The numbers they have quoted you do not seem out of line, but you really need the residual to perform a true lease calculation to confirm this.
  • sam_ksam_k Member Posts: 200
    When I've looked at leasing Toyotas in the past including the current Camry, from what I read, the residual value of many (if not most) Toyotas is based on the base price, not the bottom line sticker price including factory installed options. What that means is that you're paying for 100% of the cost of the factory options in the lease which makes the lease payment really high. I know that Lexus does not calculate leases like that. The residual value for a Lexus is based on the bottom line of the sticker price, not the base price.

The reason I'm asking is because if you want to lease the 3.5V6 AWD with the premium package #2, navigation package and sun roof, that's $8K in options and if you have to pay for 100% of the options in your lease payment, it will be very high, probably higher than a comparably equipped Lexus RX350.

Does anyone know how Toyota Financial Services calculates the residual value? Maybe Car_man or what of the other hosts can help me out. Thanks in advance.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Toyota does calculate it's residuals differently.... Not all options are residualized at the same rate as the base car.. I don't think it's quite to the extent that you describe, but well-optioned Toyotas do tend to have lower effective residuals on a percentage-basis than the base models.

It's fairly convoluted.... enough so, that each vehicle has dollar amount residual, so that the dealer doesn't have to calculate it.

So... a higher MSRP unit will have a higher residual than the lower MSRP unit, but as you've noted, not on a straight percentage.

Bottom line? Highly optioned Toyotas usually don't make for very cost-effective leases.

Hope that helps..
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

sam_k,
    Toyota’s residual calculations are not all that different from many manufacturers that have several “trim” levels. Good examples are an Audi A4 that has a lower residual on the loaded “Prestige” level compared with the basic “Premium” level. Also the Nissan Murano has a top-of-the-line LE model with a residual 5% lower than the mid-range SL model. And since the Venza doesn’t have trim levels like the Camry (i.e. base, LE, SE & XLE), the residual calculation must look at the option packages installed on a particular car. These variable residuals are based on the economic realities of the used car market. When buying a 3 or 4 year old vehicle, consumers are not likely to pay a huge premium for a navigation system or a high-end stereo system. Thus the cost of those expensive options depreciates more quickly than the rest of the vehicle.
    md_outback, you make valid points. I understand that after a leased car is returned and is put on the used car market, consumers won't pay a lot more money for a used car with expensive options such as a navigation system but it seems that Toyota Financial Services doesn't simply reduce the residual by a few percentage points based on the options or trim lines, in my past experience they want you to pay for 100% of the cost of the options in the lease. That's ridiculous, especially if you're giving the car back at the end of the lease. They're basically treating the factory installed options as other companies treat dealer installed accessories.

Many years ago I went with an ex to lease a Toyota 4Runner and the Toyota dealer gave me the money factor and residual percentage so I plugged them (along with the MSRP and cap cost) in my lease calculator on my Palm handheld. I calculated a monthly payment that was $150 or $200 lower than theirs. After the sales rep went back and forth into the finance office several times to get clarification I finally got fed up and followed him in there and the finance representative explained to me that the residual value was based on the BASE price on the window sticker not the bottom line price including options which meant their calculation included financing the thousands of dollars worth of options in the lease. Some of you might be asking how can the payment be so drastically different. If you get $6k or more worth of options and finance them over 36 or 39 months, it can easily add $150 or more to your monthly payment.

I'm actually curious to get the lease details on this car and the Camry SE V6 so I might stop by a Toyota dealer and ask someone to explain to me their lease calculation.
    sam_k,
    I agree that if that is the way Toyota is calculating their leases it will ultimately raise the monthly payment and may lose some business. It really makes no sense for them to do this for "factory-installed" options; Lexus doesn't do it and they use the same financing company. Honda does this for the "dealer-installed" options, but that makes a little more sense since the dealer doesn't install $7000 worth of stuff. On the other hand, it will reduce your buy-out at the end of the lease, so you could turn a small profit if you sell the car yourself or trade it in a few years. Maybe this is a new tactic that Toyota is trying so they get more cash up front and not have consumers complain that their vehicle didn't hold its value by the end of a lease. But that is pretty misleading, imo.
    md_outback,

I think Toyota does this to push people into buying instead of leasing. A lot of car companies don't like to lease anymore because it seems that the cars always end up being worth less than the residual value. Like you said, it you're buying the car at the end, then you either can pay for the options through the lease or just pay for them later but I always return my cars at the end of the lease so it's not worth it to me.

Most car companies make you pay for 100% of dealer installed options/accessories in the lease and that make sense since they won't recoup any of that money back when they resell the car after you return it but Toyota should residualize the factory installed options. According to Car_man, Nissan residualizes factory installed options and most dealer installed options which makes it a lot better to lease a Nissan than a Toyota. I was considering leasing a Toyota Camry or Venza but it looks like they're off my list.
    Hey CarMan,
    I know there haven't been any major incentives thus far for Toyota's Venza. Can you tell me the latest money factors and residuals for the following:

2009 Toyota Venza V6-AWD, with Prem. Pkg #2, Navigation System, Panoramic Roof and Mats. Total MSRP is about $38,400. Looking to lease for 36 months @ 12k miles per year. Do they have a standard 39 month lease package?

Thanks for your help.

MD
    Hey MD. The Venza isn't a bad vehicle...it just seems sort of expensive to me for what it is. Plus, while Toyota has some of the most aggressive lease money factors that I have ever seen it offer on many other models right now once again it has not lease support on the Venza this month.

According to the latest information that I have seen, if you were to lease a 2009 Toyota Venza V6 AWD through Toyota Financial Services right now for 39 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value would be .00285 and 60%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Tier 1+" credit tier.

Keep in mind though that TFS places restrictions upon the options that can be residualized. As a result, it is difficult for consumers to calculate the actual dollar residual values that are needed to arrive at a monthly lease payment on their own.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey CarMan,
    Thanks for the info. The Toyota finance guy was giving me a really crazy high money factor of .00395 and a low 51% residual for 36 mos/36k miles. The good news is that I got more than $4600 off MSRP so I bought it. As far as being a bit expensive, I guess it's all relative. But for $34K fully loaded, it's a much better deal than a Lexus RX, Audi Q5, Volvo XC60, Infiniti FX35 and Nissan Murano LE. It's quicker than all except the FX, has more cargo room than all but the RX. Lower priced competition I also considered are Subaru Outback and Forester, Toyota RAV4, Mazda CX7 and Ford Edge. All good vehicles, but I came away thinking they were all "cheaper" feeling and less refined than the Venza. Bottom line was that the Venza was the best overall package for my needs.

MD
  • gmsmithgmsmith Member Posts: 6
    Anyone know what the June lease numbers are looking like for the Venza? Specifically I am looking for MF and Residual for the AWD 6cyl version for both 12 and 15k miles.
    Hello gmsmith. Toyota is not currently providing any lease support on the Venza. As a result, if you were to lease one through Toyota Financial Services right now, you would have to use its standard lease program. TFS' current buy rate standard lease money factor is .00265 for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Tier 1+" credit tier. TFS' 36 month residual value for an '09 Venza AWD is 61%. Its residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year is 2% higher.

Keep in mind that TFS places restrictions upon what options can be residualized. This makes it difficult for consumers to calculate what the actual dollar residual values are for specific units on their own. Calculating vehicles' residual values is so complicated that TFS provides dealers with a list of the dollar residual values for the specific vehicles that they have in stock rather than relying upon them to calculate them on their own.

Car_man
    Host
  • gator00sigator00si Member Posts: 61
    Carman,

August numbers for both I-4 & V-6 AWD please. I'm trying to compare payments to decide which engine to go with.

Also, do you know when the 2010 models are coming out? I would think in the next month or so...

thanks
    Eric
  • mervasmervas Member Posts: 8
    I tried to make a deal for a base Venza for 24000 in NY, dealer said " NO WAY!! and until October when the 2010 Venza will be in the dealerships don't bother coming back"...I saw the lease special that Toyota has for Venza for 269/MO I don't know if I should go for it...should I buy or should I lease?
  • rovidanarovidana Member Posts: 7
    I went to a couple of Toyota dealers asking for lease quotes on Venza V6 AWD with Comfort Package (includes Smart Key system, JBL premium audio, leather seating, backup camera and tow prep package). MSRP on this car is 34,840. I am willing to put $3,500 total out of pocket. The quotes I got were in the low to mid 400s for 36m lease and 12k miles per year.
    Can someone please tell me whether the quotes I got are reasonable? Thank you.
    My calculation is 448 a month based on residual of 60% and money factor of .00265. Purchase price would be 32K. this is with no money down, not including sales tax. you'd still have to pay start costs. hope helpful
  • rovidanarovidana Member Posts: 7
    Thank you- very helpful.
This discussion has been closed.