Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

High mileage on my Honda CR-V

nomads2nomads2 Member Posts: 2
edited December 2013 in Honda
Just joined and first time posting. I was wondering if I can get some help. My 2000 CRV-SE has 215,000 miles and is in great shape. I love this car. But currently needs new timing belt, rear struts are leaking (as per mechanic when I took it in for oil change), new tires. Original transmission. For tires, timing belt, and struts, it will be about $1700. With the current mileage, am I stupid to fix all that needs fixing or should I get a new car. I don't necessarily want a new car. I just don't know how many miles I should expect on this engine. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    d07d07 Member Posts: 7
    Would you be able to buy a vehicle as reliable as your CRV for $1700 ? - If the answer is no - then your money is wisely spent on a vehicle that you own and currently trust. Sometimes its better the devil you know than the devil you don't! - And think of it, after paying for the repairs - you can probably save up a bit more for when you really need that new vehicle or when your CRV finally gives up. If the cost of the repairs finally exceed the cost of the depreciated vehicle - then it would be the best time to consider a new one though. your Honda is far from that! :D
  • Options
    lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    How would you feel about paying for a new transmission? That's probably the biggest bill you're likely to face. Has oil consumption increased?

Few people get much more than 200K miles on a car before major repairs start hitting, but some careful and conscientious owners go well past 300K. I suspect they don't mind putting money into an old car.

You might want to go to a car dealer and just sit in a new car. How's it feel? Some people can't resist the goodies and upgrades that come with new cars. Others are immune. Good luck.
  • Options
    mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    I would also ask how long you've had this vehicle and at what mileage did you acquire it? I just bought a 2000 SE for my daughter that had 113K on it but was in mint shape and well maintained. In 3,000 miles it hasn't used any oil and the oil looks as clear as the day it was put in. If you aren't using any oil and it's relatively clear you're probably in good shape. Are those struts really leaking? They're very expensive so I'd be absolutely sure they're bad before making that leap.
  • Options
    nomads2nomads2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much everyone for your replies. The car was in very good shape besides this- no oil leaks, no other problems. I found a very reputable place that did the timing belt and water pump for $405. When they had it in, they called to tell me that the struts looked fine. I still need new tires, but instead of $1700, it is now about $700. I love this car, so I'm going for 300,000. Thanks so much for all of your input.
  • Options
    phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    Let every one know when you get to 300,000. Good Luck. ;)
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    In 2002, I sold one to a customer that just happened to grow up in the same town I did in California. We hit it off so he always looks me up when he comes in for service. As of last month, 324,000 miles and still running great.

Only unscheduled repairs have been front brake calipers and an A/C compressor. Thsoe were replaced whent he CRV ahd well over 200,000 miles on it.
  • Options
    mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    We're at 132K mi. and counting. Just put new struts in, which has made an incredible difference. Got all 4 for about $650 installed at an independent garage which was $350 less than the Honda dealer quoted. Put new tires on last year. Kumho Solus KR21's. They've been great. Next benchmark for service is 140K. On the strange side, the car got pelted with acorns this Fall which made a number of dents in the hood and roof. Comprehensive ins. should cover it but the tab is near $4K. Some may question whether it's worth it to put that much in a 10 year old vehicle but the car has been well maintained and is flawless otherwise, so we'll probably go ahead and get it fixed. Then we should be REALLY ready to go for the 300K benchmark. Still a great vehicle that I wouldn't be afraid to drive anywhere.
  • Options
    andi32andi32 Member Posts: 2
    I'm the market for a used 2003 CR-V and I'm finding several that look promising to my budget but are over 250,000km and some heading quickly towards 300,000km. The bodies are all in great shape, as are the interiors indicating to me that the previous owners maintained their vehicles. Maintenance records are available. But I'm worried about this 300,000km.... Can CR-Vs maintain their reliability with high mileage?

My current vehicle is a 1971 vw van with 420,000 miles on it. I'd keep it if my disAbility allowed me to get in and out of it without pain.
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I'm the market for a used 2003 CR-V and I'm finding several that look promising to my budget but are over 250,000km and some heading quickly towards 300,000km. The bodies are all in great shape, as are the interiors indicating to me that the previous owners maintained their vehicles. Maintenance records are available. But I'm worried about this 300,000km.... Can CR-Vs maintain their reliability with high mileage?

My current vehicle is a 1971 vw van with 420,000 miles on it. I'd keep it if my disAbility allowed me to get in and out of it without pain.

If you have a 1971 VW "Bus" it is probably the same height as the CR-V.

Since you listed Hondas mileage in KM, but VW in miles, I assume you are in Canada. How did you keep the VW from rusting away?
  • Options
    andi32andi32 Member Posts: 2
    Re: height of seat... I thought from my reading that the CR-V has adjustable seats? An internet friend with similar hip problems has recommended the CR-V as being lower than the vw bus. Another friend recommended the Hyundai Sante Fe since she and her husband both had mobility problems.

Re: no rust on bus. I bought the bus in 1989 in California and have stored it every winter since I came back in '97. Since there's no heat to speak of (no front engine to break the wind and all that empty space behind me), it's warmer to walk anywhere :-)
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Test drive both, or a few to make sure it fits you. Even though someone else has a similar disability, it does not mean that what worked for them will work for you.

e-mail me if you are thinking of selling the "bus" :)
  • Options
    qmda76qmda76 Member Posts: 3
    I too have a 2000 CRV EX, it's got 169,000 miles on it. I bought it used in 2004 with 60,000 miles on it, and I've rarely put any money into repairs. It currently has a blinker issue, that I think is a short, and the driver's door lock doesn't work with the remote any more (the door was replaced 2 years ago after a lady side-swiped me on the highway), and I think it needs rear-differential fluid. I had to replace the radiator last year, and of course did the timing belt and water pump a few years back. I love the old girl...but she doesn't make such good noises any more in the winter, and I'm afraid of her breaking down. I'm going to go test drive a 2008 CRV EXL tomorrow, and might be trading my old faithful in. :cry:
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You "think" it needs rear differential fluid???

That is special fluid that should be changed every 30,000 miles. If you fail to do this, it'll make noise and if you let it go too long, you'll ruin it!

169,000 miles is nothing for a well maintained Honda.
  • Options
    qmda76qmda76 Member Posts: 3
    Guess it doesn't matter now, it's the dealer's problem where I traded it in! :blush:
  • Options
    jlmtjlmt Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    I have a 99 CRV with 194,000 miles. I drive to work, 30 minutes each way daily. I also drive from Atlanta to Vermont once a year. I have loved this car and have maintained it. I did spill paint in the very back last year, and I also have a different key for the driver's door since that was the least expensive way to repair a lock problem. For three years, it has idled very roughly when at a light and the a/c is on. I was told I would need a new a/c because the a/c clutch is going. The question is, should I repair the a/c for $700 and hope for 100,000 more miles, or is it time to look for another CRV? It is almost time to drive to Vermont. I am single and a female. I add that only because of the safety factor that plays into this decision since I am driving alone. Would love some feedback.
  • Options
    annieb007annieb007 Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at buying a used CRV for our kids to drive. We found a 2003 that looks very clean and well maintained. It has 180,000 miles on it. They want $4900 for it. We need something for the kids to drive in the snow. I have a Honda Pilot and I love it. Just don't know if I want to get something that 180,000 miles on. Looking for advice.
  • Options
    ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    180,000 miles on a well maintained Honda wouldn't shy me away.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2013
    For any used car, but especially for a higher mileage one, it's cheap insurance to have you own mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection.

I'm on a road trip and my van has 187,000 miles on it. But I have no illusions that something could go wrong on it with this many miles.

Be sure to appraise the car (look under the Used Car tab above) and don't pay too much. And shop around, you may find another nice example with fewer miles on it.
  • Options
    rikrikardorikrikardo Member Posts: 23
    A decade ago my son bought a 1991 Honda Accord with 150,000 miles on it and drove it for another 130,000+ miles before it died of multiple system failures (i.e., old age). I am convinced the key to this longevity was the fact that when I looked under the car to check for fluid leaks it had no antifreeze or oil leaks whatsoever. Very well maintained and it had not been in a front-end accident. If your CRV is in the same state I would not hesitate to buy it. And the price is competitive.