Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC70 Transmission Questions

2»

Comments

• jrlun78jrlun78 Member Posts: 9
    sorry i never answered the other part of your question....i am in allentown my mechanic is in new tripoli lehigh county
  • sorfinsorfin Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
    I have the same exact problem and same car! The Corporate office at Volvo said that they do not warrant outside the 100K miles. I think this is a manufacturer issue and should be a recall item to upgrade the software. The current state of my car that it is inoperable because there was an issue with installing the software. My car is currently with the Authorized Volvo repair shop for about a week without success and minimal assistance from Volvo. I also have an issue with the computer system, and the car has a buzzing sound when turned off. I will never buy another Volvo. Volvo used to be a great car, in fact we still have a 1995 Volvo V70, but the early 2000 models are no good. A friend bought a 2004, and anded up returning it to Volvo due to an electrical system problem. They had to get an attorney involved, but in the end, they received all their money back.
  • sorfinsorfin Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2003 Volvo, and I would have to say purchase a different car. Volvo has major transmission problems. Seriously pick another manufacturer.
  • quicksilver16quicksilver16 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 XC70 with 130,000. I didn't detect the hard shifting transmission unti the day I bought it, because I never drove it long enough to get the trans fluid warm enough. After only 750 miles it seems to be getting worse. It seems like you were able to get several more miles from your transmissions. Since this hard shifting characteristic show up so early (low miles) in some cars, maybe there is a chance I can get more miles on mine. Presently no slipping in the trans. What do you think?
  • bad_tranniesbad_trannies Member Posts: 11
    edited February 2011
    QS16, sorry to hear of your experience. I hope you got it at a dealer - at least there might be recourse of some sort there.... The S60 was the first Volvo for me and my shifting experience, as you read, was not a singular incident for me. I recently discovered something quite by accident that seems to make the shifting much smoother now when going from reverse to drive - if I shift into drive while the car is moving very slowly backward the transition to drive is practically normal feeling. So if others have the same reverse to drive problem that may solve it for them.

As for your XC70, I'm afraid I have nothing to offer. Does it shift harshly in all gears as it up shifts in Drive from a stop, or with down shift as in passing mode, or reverse to drive, or drive to reverse, or park to drive? My bet is your dealer will tell you it needs a software update which offers no guarantee of solution (that aggravates me no end, I feel it should be free).
    As fyi, my XC70 now has 92k miles and still runs great with no shifting issues. Fingers crossed.

With all the horror stories on this forum and my own experience I have purchased my last Volvo. :(

I wish you the best of luck.
  • precousprecous Member Posts: 3
    whenver I put the car in reverse, it clunks....what is the problem...I am getting very anxious
    I have xc70 '03...when i make a cut-U it clunks...the mechanic (ha Ha) doesn't seem to know what the problem is or how to fix it.
    Any suggestions?
    Somehow the mechanic working on my car...screwed-up the indicator light on the dash...the reset butoon does nothing...any suggestions?
  • jfurgaljfurgal Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2001 XC70 with the same tranny issues!!! Hard shifting, clunking, etc.

I filed a complaint with safecar.gov - the NHTSA - there are tons of complaints for the same issues for the V70, V70XC, and under XC70.

Thanks!
  • whwowhwo Member Posts: 1
    I guess I am the latest victim. I am experiencing all the problems you mentioned, down to the service rep. telling me they will try softward update. Now I know they are again bulllshitting me.
    I have gone out of my way to take good care of my care, three services yearly since 2003 when I got the car. This transmission problem happens just a couple of months after my extended warranty expired. which I paic thousands and everytime you asked them to pay to problems, it was a nightmare. I agree with everyone, stay away from Volvo, my XC70 never had no problem! not, I am told I will likely have to dish out $6000 plus to ifx my problem by the dealer/service in Vancouver BC. What can I do to not get ripped off?
    surregstions?
  • db59901db59901 Member Posts: 1
    that's a load of crap. I've had it done twice and neither time did it help. All of us Volvo owners need to do something to get a recall started for the trans mission. I've never owned a car with so many problems.
  • boxy_but_goodboxy_but_good Member Posts: 1
    Hi there - my '04 XC70 is definitely a love of my life. :)

Well, re: the tranny problem. The transmission is by Asian Warner (ugh) and, apparently, the solenoid goes in the valve body. Which cannot be fixed. So... one must buy a *new* valve body (do NOT buy a used one - you'll wind up with the same problem.) to fix it. It's very expensive. My extended warranty would only cover a *used* valve body, so I paid the difference.

Other stuff was starting to go, so I'm (right now!) having the rest of the transmission rebuilt. (more $ that the extended warranty wouldn't cover, as the parts were not in total "fail" mode.)

It really is a heartbreaker. I currently own some 60's vintage Volvos, and this '04 is my fourth Volvo daily driver since I was a kid, (and 3rd wagon.) I don't think I'll ever buy another Volvo again (unless it's a vintage one) and I plan on keeping my gorgeous '04 XC70 on the road as long as I can.

Wishing you the very best of luck.
  • polyjuicepolyjuice Member Posts: 1
    I had that problem too, it's the bevel gear.
  • sr30sr30 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2011
    I have an 05 xc70 and the transmission will clunk when downshifting either going uphill or if Im driving around 50-55 and I want to accelerate. It started around 90K and I had the tranny serviced, flushed and the clunking went away for a while but now its back. I used to be able to "power through" the clunk by pushing harder on the gas pedal and avoid the clunk, but today, it kinda stuttered as I was driving up the hill around 3000 rpms I guess.

Ive had a check engine light go off twice since it started but never had it checked by my mechanic.

Tell me something good please.........

Tell me it can be fixed for less than $1K

Edit: anyone know what they charge for a software update?
    I had a 98 S70 with an electrical issue that none of the techs could ever "replicate" either. They just dont wanna spend their time on it.
  • vtvolvobevtvolvobe Member Posts: 1
    :mad: I just bought a certified pre-owned 2008 XC70 with 45k with the 6 cyl. engine (no turbo), and I've had serious issues with the lack of power on acceleration and erratic shifting. Wasn't like this when i bought it, but with 3500 miles in the car, I have issues. This is my fourth xc70. I currently also own a 2005 which is a rocket. Traded in an '03 for this '08 and the '03 was also a rocket. Never a problem with acceleration. Both the dealer I bought it from and the one nearer me in VT (now) tell me this is a common complaint for the '08 V6 but technically there's nothing wrong with the car. BS!! The car not only is weak off the mark, it upshifts too quickly and often downshifts and upshifts quickly (jerking back and forth), clutch often engaging for too long while shifting so the engine revs high with no power. And in VT, I'm always climbing hills -- the transmission sounds like it's cutting wood with a chainsaw, straining to get up hills. This is a AWD car marketed as a mountain car!! My past xc70's have been tanks, going anywhere I want them too, and with no hesitation. This car has no power, a total wimp.

Anyone have the same issues? Solutions? Effective recourse? I've been sold a Ford Focus in Volvo XC70 clothing!
  • mtxc70mtxc70 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    I am sickened to learn that so many people have transmission problems with the 2002 XC70. I am trying to sell mine. Only 86,000 miles. After reading the posts I fear my Volvo will end up in a salvage yard. My Volvo has a bad transmission. I was hoping to sell it for a very reasonable price and someone would fix the transmission and have a great car.
  • mtxc70mtxc70 Member Posts: 2
    I am posting 68. I live in Montana and you described the sound perfectly - cutting wood with a chainsaw while climbing in elevation. I had that issue since the day I bought my XC70. After a few years I couldn't travel over the mountains unless I took coolant along cause it would always deplete itself. My Volvo dealership could never find a problem. Now at 86,000 miles my transmission is bad.
    UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Im now the proud owner of a 2009 Honda Accord

F*CK YOU VOLVO!!!

Im really sad and disappointed because my wife and I have owned 6 or 7 Volvos in the last 15 yrs, all great cars up until the last 2, LEMONZZZ
  • barnesypoobarnesypoo Member Posts: 1
    I OWN A 2002 VOLVO XC70 CROSS COUNTRY. WHILE DRIVING, AND ESPECIALLY DURING DOWN SHIFTS, THE VEHICLE WOULD LOSE ITS CONNECTION TO THE DRIVE SHAFT, CAUSING THE ENGINE TO REV UP AND THE VEHICLE TO JERK AS IT GRABBED BACK INTO GEAR. THE JERKING HAS CONSEQUENTLY CAUSED ME TO BREAK MY MOTOR MOUNTS. A LOCAL MECHANIC DIAGNOSED THAT THE VEHICLE NEEDED A NEW TRANSMISSION. THE DEALER AGREED THAT THIS WAS THE ONLY SOLUTION. ALL SOFTWARE UPDATES HAVE BEEN DONE. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT BEEN CONTACTED, AS THEY ARE A CHINESE COMPANY. THE VEHICLE HAS NOT BEEN REPAIRED. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS AROUND 85,000. THE CURRENT MILEAGE IS 125,000. THE VIN WAS NOT AVAILABLE. CATASTROPHIC FAILURE. NOT FAIR TO THE OWNER. MANUFACTURER SHOULD CORRECT THIS COMMON, EXPENSIVE PROBLEM.
  • kenfromsfkenfromsf Member Posts: 1
    Have the same issue as many of the people on this forum post. 2001 Volvo XC with serious transmission problems. Slow to engage, slipping, and dashboard lights on. Taken it into 2 transmission experts. 1 said that a firmware adjustment (at $1000) might take care of the issue but didn't recommend it. Recommended a $4000 transmission replacement. The other shop just recommended a replacement - $3400 for the transmission and $800 in labor. Given the car is work <$8000, it's a bad decision to have to make. If anyone is pursuing any action around this, let me know sales(at)frommworldwide.com
  • radavesradaves Member Posts: 3
    Our volvo (2002 XC) was doing the same thing and I had the transmission fluid changed twice using the recommended gravity only drain and refill at the pricetag of something like $300.00 each time. Both times there was no improvement that was noticeable. I kept bugging the dealership and they said maybe I needed a new tranny as many of you have said. Then one day that I called them they said they had a "new" machine that flushed the transmission fluid completely and refilled it and that they could try that. I tried to get them to do it for free to no avail but had them try it anyway. I figured I had already dumped several hundred dollars in it without flushing so I may as welll try flushing it. I did, for another charge, and it has worked (up to now). So far so good. The mechanic thought the tranny was too far gone to salvage, but I said try it anyway. So my suggestion is that you broach the issue of flush and fill and give that a try. Apparently Volvo said for the longest that this would dislodge sludge and grime in the bottom of the pan at first, but this "new" machine is designed to take care of this. I don't know if this is a proprietary machine for Volvo (as so many of mechanics tools are these days - Oh I long for carbuerators and mechanical parts that I can actually work on myself!) but I would certainly give it a try. If you have to spend $4000 on a new tranny, why not try a couple hundred to see if it will work? Best of luck to you all.
  • volvorookievolvorookie Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2002 Volvo V70 XC with transmission issues. Hard 1-2 shift and sometimes, it "locks" itself in 3rd gear and flashes a message on the screen. I can clear the code with my scanner and it will be OK for a day or sometimes 2-3 weeks. Is this common with these transmissions? Could it be a computer issue and not a bad transmission?

I found a good AW55-51 transmission. Can I replace the AW55-50 with the AW55-51?

Has anyone had any luck rebuilding these transmission themselves?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this for me. This is my first Volvo so I'm a newbie to their issues. :D
  • bvsmithnhbvsmithnh Member Posts: 1
    Our 2004 XC70 "clunks" while downshifting between 2nd and 1st. It is very disappointing news. The car has 143,000 miles. Dealer estimates about $5K to replace with new transmission. Has anyone had any experience with 3rd party transmission service vendors?
  • 02ocean02ocean Member Posts: 4
    I had great luck with a 3rd party. Still expensive but paid $3,150.00. Got 3 year warranty. They work with a volvo repair shop to get the software "reflash" for the transmission. But you really have to make sure they have worked on Volvos. and have a relationship with a volvo repair shop. I've heard terrible stories about inexperienced big chains.
  • volvorookievolvorookie Member Posts: 2
    The transmission in an XC is an AW55-50 or AW55-51 (5 speed automatic) and is made by the Aisin Warner company of Japan and is used by GM, Saturn, Saab, Nissan, and Volvo.

Volvo always recommends a new transmission but a lot of people have fixed the problem with new solenoids in the valve body or a reman valve body.

Hard to belive that Volvo uses such a cheap transmission in a $40,000+ vehicle. I will not buy another Volvo even though I love my 02 XC70.

Good luck, do your homework, and get everything in writing!
  • dans4fundans4fun Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    Sorry to hear of the bad problems with XC70 transmissions.

I have a 2005 XC70 that has 103,000 miles on it. With in the last 10,000 miles we started noticing a hesitation/sputtering, usually when getting on the highway, almost always at 60 mph. You could back off the gas a little and get through it, or accelerating gradually you could sometimes avoid the shifting issue. Wasn't sure if it was transmission(hope not) or possibly fuel/electrical(hopefully).

Check engine light came on at 103,000 mi so I took it in for service. Ex Volvo dealership that still works on my vehicle. They diagnosed a cracked coil! We replaced the coil, and also had them do a transmission cleaner/flush and oil change. Picked the car up today, hit 5 or 6 on ramps and so far no problem. I know it's early but hopefully it's fixed.

We also did plugs and timing belt so I can't be quite it was the coil or transmission flush. Service write up stated "replace the coil, retest, and car is ok".

Thought this info might be useful.
  • automusautomus Member Posts: 1
    My partner and me have had Volvo's for five years now, the first V50, we had a lot of problems with, it would cut out and stop, the fuel gauge would go down to empty on a full tank and onwards, so we traded that in after two years, and got a V70. We had no problems whit that what so ever, but because of the location we live in we thought that it would be a good idea to swap it for a XC70. It was a 08 model, and had only 22000 miles on the clock. The day we picked it up from the dealer, a warning light came on just as we took it out on the road, it felt very sluggish compared to the v70. called the dealer when we got home, and they said it was because it was heavyer, and the light cause it needed service, but this was a different light, so we insisted they took it inn, they said it was too much oil, and that it had choked the engine. It still felt sluggish, and the latest after now three months, is that suddenly we loose pedal feel on the accelerator, and that it looses so much power that it struggles to climb a small hill or overtake on the motorway. Then the warning light came on about motor management system error. so(after a long day with tow trucks and hold ups) we took it to the dealer, and they kept it over night. They said that nothing was wrong with it. The fuel consumption has also gone through the roof with this car. Is there anybody that know anything about these faults, please let us know cause we are desperate to find out.
  • reid443reid443 Member Posts: 1
    you might have been loosing coolant due to a bad radiator cap.
  • stloustlou Member Posts: 1
    Our 2005 XC70 is doing the exact same thing you describe. It happened a few times and the check engine light just came on. I'm wondering how the fix worked out and what they charged you for the work. Thanks for sharing.
  • mrcj1979mrcj1979 Member Posts: 1
    The latest two issues you describe is the air mass meter you have to replace with a new one... I´ve done it on my s40 T4, my C70 T5 and on my V70 D5... Sorry the bad english, i´m from Denmark...
    Christian
  • gbensonjrgbensonjr Member Posts: 1
    anyone had any issues with a weak shift in 1st gear only? I just bought the car drove it 97 miles and the check engine lite came on along with the transmission service required displayed on the dash. The car doesn't slip but it has weak acceleration in first gear only. All the other gear shift great and the car runs and drives great. The car has 112,598 miles.
  • floatplanemechfloatplanemech Member Posts: 1
    I have an '05 XC70 with about 118k miles that will do the same thing.
    We do not get any engine or transmissions check lights, but if the vehicle is allowed to idle for a length of time, 5 minutes or more, 1st gear will not engage as the accelerator is depressed. The engine will rev and then the gear will catch.
    If the pedal is depressed slowly this will not happen.
    As a note the car is driven in southern Nevada.
    Anyone have any thoughts?
  • twonames1twonames1 Member Posts: 1

I am considering a 2004 xc70 with 133000 miles, thus lurking around Volvo forums. I've not read of a possible inexpensive fix for the slamming from gear to gear herein. However I have read of a fix for Saturns doing this, as I have a Saturn needing mothering. One fellow discovered it was the sonnax valve. He replaced it on his own and solved the problem. I've not done that as I'd like to move to a Volvo. Hope this might shed light on the wide problem. There's not much money to be made in DIY customers!

• philip26philip26 Member Posts: 1
    For all Volvo owners who are experiencing transmission issues,

1. the 2001-2002 models equipped with five speed transmissions had inevitable issues at higher miles. One fix is to replace the T4 servo cover and the three main transmission solenoids, all without having to remove the transmission from the car.
    2. the 2003-2006 five speed transmissions were also plagued with hard shifting because the fluid was not replaced. One less expensive fix is to replace the three main solenoids - they sell for $200 a kit on Ebay, look for AW 55-50SN solenoids which are the same as in Nissan Maxima which had the same transmission.
    3. The Geartronic 6 speed automatic transmission had severe issues on most cars and again replacing the solenoids - look up for TF-80SC solenoids, again this was used in several other non Volvo cars - can help but the results are less certain compared with the regular 5 speed transmission.
    4. In all situations, it is important to adjust the solenoids the same way the worn ones were adjusted (keep the worn solenoids and adjust each new one the same). The car also must have transmission new adaptation reset.

A note. Volvo main dealer will not accept to replace only the solenoids. They will only replace the whole transmission. Look up on Volvo forums to get help.