Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer instrument cluster is out

2»

Comments

• mlwpostmlwpost Member Posts: 2
    After extensive research I've determined that the best course of action is to replace the instrument cluster altogether. There's a very good youtube.com video ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpCe_BkFYJo ) on how to remove the instrument cluster - involves the removal of about 7-10 7mm screws and unhooking the electric from the panel - and then removing the cluster panel. You can then send it off for repair (approx. $225 w/S&H) or get a new one from a parts place (O'Reilly's approx. $250-$300) and re-install yourself or have a mechanic do it. Fingers crossed.....MLP
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    You can also just replace the stepper motors on the back of the panel if you are experienced at soldering. That's the least costly way to repair.
  • rhagen66rhagen66 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer LS. It has 117000 miles. I received a letter from Chevy in 2010 saying that my fuel sensor gauge MAY go bad but I had until Oct 2010 to have a Chevy dealer fix it and that Chevy MAY pay 50% of the repair but not to take it in if it was not exibiting this problem. Of course nothing was wrong so no repair needed UNTIL about 6 months ago. My speedometer was off by 5 to 15 miles per hour, but like others, I used the GPS since I couldnt afford to take it in right away. Then the check engine light came on and the diagnostic wasnt giving any codes. Then my fuel gauge was reading a little off and after filling the car completely with gas one day, it showed empty with the light on. Now I am past the time for Chevy to pay anything!@!!!*!! So I took just spent over $1200.00 on a fuel pump, fuel gauge sensor and thermostat since the code said it was feul related. Picked up from the mechanic, and now the check engine light is back on. I guess I will have to print these pages and take it in to the mechanic and tell him to replace the crappy instrument cluster. I have always owned Chevys, and my family and husband are Chevy folks. I cant wait to be able to afford to trade this thing in on a foriegn car.!!! I have been an advocate of buying American until this time! Nothing but trouble. The driver seat mechanisms have been rapaired three times, the heat blower doesnt work on 4 & 5! I dont know what to do, now since I am past the the date on the letter, I am sure Chevrolet wont pay for any of it. What a joke!
    Thanks for listening to my rant!
  • nickzzonickzzo Member Posts: 2
    ok so iv'e got every problem you guys are talking about on this thread on my 05 trailblazer. The speedometer, fuel gauge, power seat, cd player, blower motor, diming head lights, check engine light, oil pressure gauge. plus a new one, transmission. tranny blew about a year ago, took it to a reputable transmission mechanic who rebuilt it. Had it back two days and blew again! took it back to him and he traced it to a problem in the wiring harness. he replaced the harness and rebuilt the tranny again at no extra cost to me. All was good for about a year and last week I felt it hesitating again. took it back to him, he's had it for 3 days now and cant pinpoint the problem but is shure it is electricle. so what do we have to do get this class action suit going ? and has anybody else had this transmission problem ?
  • kriskellkriskell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 chevy trailblazer Ext. Our rpm gauge stopped working, our speedometer works when it's in the mood. When it doesn't work, it is stuck on 40 mph, even when at a stop. The air conditioner blows hot air, hasn't been cold for about 2 years. We had to replace the blower because the heat would only blow on 1 and 2, but not 3,4, or 5. The back controls for the heat/ac doesn't work anymore. Our ABS is constantly sensing that it needs to be on, so stopping completely isn't an option any more. Our check engine lights has been on for a few years. And when we plug our camper, or utility wagon in, it only works some lights, and not even that all the time. We were told to replace the Engine control module, which we did today, and now the damn thing won't start!!! I am so in for a class action law suit. I'm sick of everything falling apart on this car. I actually loved it until everything started going haywire!!!
  • doughertytdoughertyt Member Posts: 1
    Has there been any news of a class action lawsuit against Chevrolet? Would like to get in on a lawsuit for the gas gauge and the bad exhaust manifold. I just had to replace my exhaust manifold because of a large crack in it. The auto mechanic told me that they had to rebuild the top of my engine because they couldn't get a bolt out, cost me $2000. Sounds faulty to me. My gas gauge sensor is also flawed. When I bought the vehicle it was broken, I had no idea. Tried to contact chevrolet about the issue several times, same response every time. Take it to a dealership, have them look at it, then call us back. I do not feel it is proper for me to spend $100 just to get a diagnosis on a problem they caused. I am a 23yr old who owns 2 chevrolets, think that I might go to ford for the next purchase and see how they take care of their loyal customers because chevy sure doesn't care about us!!
  • repaircityrepaircity Member Posts: 1
    I just spent $700 on a passcode sensor and
    a new battery, because they told me mine
    was dead after trying to start it. I notice that
    after I leave the dealership the gear
    light and odometer light now don't work.
    They say instrument cluster & they need
    $400 more to fix it as this are
    in no way related although it appears
    to have happened at the dealership. Any
    way these are related? or not?
  • nickzzonickzzo Member Posts: 2
    Not shure about the lawsuit. Havent heard anything else about it and I wouldn't even know how to begin starting one. But if anybody does count me in and I'll help in any way I can. As for the gas gauge, that's an easy one. I don't know of any trailblazers that have one that works. and yet chevy only gave out a partial recall. That means they know there is a problem but don't care. bring it to a dealer and you will only have to pay for half of it. Arent you feeling better about the bail out now. I am pretty shure that bail out is why these crappy vehicles have not been completely recalled. I am all about buying American but guess what GM your not the only American car manufacturer. If you only have $2000 dollars into your vehicle you are lucky and should get rid of it now. I've got about $6000 in mine and now have a misfire problem that no one can fix. I'm shure its a short in the miles of crappy faulty wireing that's in this car.
  • nomorechevy13nomorechevy13 Member Posts: 1
    I too had this problem, then all speeds went out. I went all last summer here in the south with no fan. Then I found out it was a cheap easy fix. Stop at auto parts store and buy a fan resistor unit. You can find YouTube directions on how to replace it. It cost less than $30. It goes in behind the glove box. Some parts stores may even help you replace it.
  • danmal66danmal66 Member Posts: 1
    This problem is not only related to the trailblazer, it is Chevy vehicles all together.. I will NEVER purchase another Chevy product....

Dan M.
  • tonyglobaltonyglobal Member Posts: 1
    In '05 the cluster was changed under warranty. Recently my Instrument cluster is again blacking out. Although unrelated, I installed a new battery which gave me the opportunity to clean & freshen up the chassis grounds, hoping this would resolve the issue...It Didn't. GM should have liability over the cluster...It's lifespan should be greater than 8 years. Replacement of Headlights, tail lights, etc. is basic like tires...SO...Any leads on a new panel?
  • tbowner1tbowner1 Member Posts: 1
    Try the ignition switch, mine went out on my 07 and it did some very bizarre
    things! Thank goodness I have a great dealership here in Phoenix (Midway) who fixed it right the first time and was reasonable too.
  • argreeneargreene Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2013
    Every since I have had my 2005 Trailblazer I have had one problem after another, first the gas gauge, shortage in the radio and door chime, right speakers works left does not until I hit a good bump then the left speakers, rear and chime comes on, then it will go back off the next time I go to drive, no heat in the back or passenger side, the blowers went out for a long time, then suddenly popped back on meaning there is a shortage, cd player stopped working, axle broke in half , can not put in four wheel drive, sounds like metal grinding against metal, now when I put on breaks the steering wheel shakes, when I get on the highway and go about 65 mph the car vibrates/shakes. Now again have to find out what I have to do to get check engine light off, codes says something about temperature or something not in front of me. The blower will not work on 3 or 5. Never again will I buy a Chevy!
  • dyer33704dyer33704 Member Posts: 2
    Well, as if we haven't spent enough on this piece of S*#T, now the instrument cluster stopped working and the gauges point and are stuck all over the place! Speedometer shows going 110 MPH at standstill, and well all the gauges are messed up! Can't believe all those stepper motors went all at the same time! Now they need to be refurbished!

My parents have been GM / Chevy people ever since I can remember. I think their first was a 1962 Impala Station Wagon. Anyway, I was with them when they purchased their Trailblazer. What a piece of S*#T it is! All the same issues as everyone else has been stating. Stalling at lights and pulling into and out of the driveway and intermittent rough idle and high rapid idle for no reason at at 32,000 miles. 40,000 miles brought about incorrect inside/outside temperature readings and inability use climate control which was supposedly unrepairable. Seatbelts that don't release and just keep getting tighter and tighter ever since purchase and they can't seem to repair it or didn't want to. Let's see, at 67,000 miles had to spend $2,800 to replace the air conditioner! Numerous engine problems. Rear Window motor went at 70,000 miles. Transmisison shift linkage broke stranding me in the middle of know where unable to change gears from reverse to drive or even put in park at about 76,000 miles. Windshield wiper motor on slow or intermittent (didn't even bother spending more money to get that fixed). Passenger seat stopped working at 81,000 miles.

I had an accident with my 1997 Jaguar XJS (That plus my 1995 Jaguar Vanden Plas and 1997 Jaguar XJS were possibly the BEST cars I have ever owned apart from my Mercedes')

Anyway, my rental car for the month (yep it was a BAD accident) was a Ford Edge! For any of you looking to purchase a new SUV or Crossover, the Ford Edge IS the vehicle to buy! WOW! Has Ford far surpassed GM!!!! The ride was amazing. The fit and finish were beautiful! The electronics were far ahead of anything else out there! Voice activated everything and the vehicle drove like, well it was AWESOME! NO MORE GM FOR THIS FAMILY! MY PARENT NEXT VEHICLE (as soon as we can give away this piece of crap) IS THE FORD EDGE!

As for me, I just gave away my 1997 Jag XJS with 188,000 (still in incredible condition) as I did with my 1988 Mercedes 350SD (still in incredible condition). They still run and drive flawlessly! Yes, I guess I am a Mercedes owner for ever and ever. My 2006 Mercedes CLK has 112,000 miles on it and the only repair so far has been one electronic auto-open car door handle and the car still looks new and doesn't have a squeak, rattle or bump! It pays to buy quality!

Ok, my rant is finished. IF you're going to buy American, the ONLY way to go is FORD. IF you're going to buy foreign, well I'll let you research for yourself! HAVE FUN, BE CAREFUL AND USE EDMUNDS!
  • argreeneargreene Member Posts: 2
    Now my trailblazer cuts off at the light when stopped, the brakes makes this squealing, squeaking noise when mashed, and sound like air in them, I not too long ago got new brakes, and rarely drive this car, I got it at 108,000 miles in 2010 and it is only at 111,000 that shows how much I drive this heap, now the car is going to the left, and I just had an alignment, when they had to fix my front end and axle. Geesh! Can I get a break?
  • kimmiesumkimmiesum Member Posts: 1

Gas gauge stopped at 1/2 full on my 05 Trailblazer (117,000 miles), fixed this with 1/2 price warranty sent by Chevrolet, now speed odometer goes to 110 mph and stops, headlight and brake lights constantly
    replaced, and Now when its cut off and key is out and it is locked park lights mysteriously come on by themselves and next morning--battery is dead--changed air filter---check engine light comes on--no codes shows--put in a different air filter (same brand that was in it before I changed it) reset check engine light was off for two days back on--still no codes show up
    My next resort is to change the instrument cluster that all the post are about--I have seen the check engine light on and have put more money in this vehicle than all the 5 other Pontiacs I have owned together--Really!!! How many does it take to get a recall?

• farmtruck68farmtruck68 Member Posts: 2

@mmstandish4 said:
    My 2004 Trailblazer ext has lost tach, oil pressure, temp, speedometer. Gas guage still seems to be ok but we certainly do not trust it. Also quoted $800.00 for gauge repair from Chevy dealer in SW Florida. I too have issues with the stalling and the idle. It hurts the budget a little bit but we have been using premium fuel and that seems to help with the idle and stalling. Mine is at 105K. It sure would be nice if GM stepped up. Thank God for the GPS to help manage with the speed.

• farmtruck68farmtruck68 Member Posts: 2

2004 Trailblazer LT instrument cluster issues. See many complaints about this. GM should recall and repair at no charge. Their Customer Service SUCKS! They just don't care!

• only70sonly70s Member Posts: 1

@sabotage said:
    Started to sporadically work and not work, example slamming the door would make it work.,..The gauges would be all erratic and then correct themselves..Now I have no mileage shown and gauges do not work at all..Is there a certain place I should look for a loose connection or something or a possible solution.It only has 19,000 miles on it...PLease HeLP mE OUT !!!!

• haroon1haroon1 Member Posts: 1

I have Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 2008 having 65000 miles
    I am facing problem of dropping of temperature gauge while driving. It comes automatically after some hours during driving. One of the mechanic has replaced temperature sensor but problem still persists. Moreover, once temperature needle goes down to zero during driving, Airconditioning COOLING system also stops working during that period. Please help me.

• mjestramjestra Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ that recently reached 150,000 miles. 2 years ago I replaced the transfer case which wasn't cheap. Now I'm having issues with the speedometer, oil gauge, service engine light, cruise control...latest problem is when it's on 2Hi and the light is lit showing this, when driving the light will change to 4Hi or Auto and the truck begins to drive different. I'm not sure what this can be...does anyone have any ideas?
  • gigi1957gigi1957 Member Posts: 5

2003 Trailblazer nightmare! My daughter's truck is not running currently. Many of the problems that her truck has are already listed here. When calling customer service Monday and waiting for one half hour the phone disconnected after giving her name and the last 8 digits of the VIN. Would one of the customer service reps please list the email contact info so that an email can be sent.

Thank you.