Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Chrysler T&C & Dodge Caravan brake life expectancy!

Comments

• ahh65ahh65 Member Posts: 12
    File a complaint with NHTSA.gov. This is not normal and a whole lot of people think the same thing. Also file a claim with Chrysler Customer service. At least you'll get a case number and the more people that file a claim the better off we will be to get a resolution to this issue. I'm also appalled that they just replace the rotors and pads with more crappy parts, therefore in another 15-20,000 they will need to be done all over again!!
    So I erge you to file. The nhtsa.gov will research each claim filed and may help if there is enough people who have problems.
  • wjtinatlwjtinatl Member Posts: 50
    I love the Flex. Great to drive, very quiet, much more substantial and luxurious inside than most vans. But I like the interior volume, particularly height, that a van gives me. Bikes, dogs, etc. all can stand upright in a van where the Flex and most all crossovers/SUV's are height restrictive inside. Waiting for the new Toyota Sienna SE to arrive for comparison, but the Chryslers are off my list.
  • moosetntmoosetnt Member Posts: 18
    I just dropped off my 2008 T&C limited ($42K sticker price) for my first brake service (I bought the van new and it now has 17,000 highway miles). Dealer called me back and said I need front/rear rotors and pads and a brake flush. Total cost is about $550. I told him he was nuts and I've never had this kind of problem with a 1 year old vehicle with this low miles. Previous chrysler vans I've owned got 30 - 40K miles before and brake service was required. The dealer told me this was normal on the 08 T&C and should not expect more than 15 - 20K miles between brake/rotor changes. I said [non-permissible content removed], hung up the phone and called my friend who is a chrysler dealer mechanic on the east coast. My friend told me Chrysler knows about this terrible brake problem and has authorized dealers (including his dealership) to do a one time "goodwill" and fix any brake/rotor problems for free (up to 30K miles on a new vehicle). My dealer here on the west coast never mentioned this only saying this is normal and the bill is $550 to fix the brakes. I CALLED CHRYSLER, COMPLAINED ABOUT THIS AND THEY SAID SEND IN MY RECEIPTS AND THEY WOULD SEND ME A CHECK FOR $550. I called my friend back and told them Chrysler would pay for it. He said great but I should not have to call chrysler since the dealer should have taken care of this and not charge me anything. I'm leaving to pick up my van. I'm going to look at the service guy in the eye and tell him he is a looser and explain what I heard from my friend that Chrysler has agreed to pick up the tab on brake jobs. SO ALL YOU GUYS OUT THERE WHO HAVE EITHER REPLACED THE BRAKES ON YOUR 08 T&C or need to replace them be advised: CHRYSLER HAS AGREED TO DO THE WORK FOR FREE SO DON'T TAKE ANY [non-permissible content removed] FROM YOUR DEALER.. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. more to follow after I pick up my van....
  • fpeckfpeck Member Posts: 7
    That is still not the best solution, we had to trade our vanin, put in 5000 cash to get rid off it, because we were already on the 4th set of brakes with 36000 miles, got tired of fighting, this is not right, but we got a good Toyota venza, we are horribly over loaned, but releived to get out of the broken down van and quit hassling with dealers
  • sunburstorangesunburstorange Member Posts: 7
    Does the same apply for us folks here in Canada that you know of? Sorry to read about all the brake issues... my turn is soon approaching by the looks of it!!!
    I'm not sure about Canada but would assume Chrysler would honor their commitment in your country. I would call Chrysler (see www.chrysler.com) and call the complaint dept. to find out. They were very nice to me and gave me no hassles about my brake problem. What I didn't make clear in my post is that this is a ONE TIME deal so when brakes go out a second time (with low miles on the replaced brakes) Chrysler probably won't cover it. I'm hoping in another year or so Chrysler (or independent parts stores) will have replacement brakes/rotors which are better quality. I've looked on the internet and found a number of 3rd party retailers selling premium rotor/brake replacement parts for the 08 T&C which they claim last 2-3 times as long as O.E.M. Don't know if it's true but I will certainaly look into this next time I need brakes. Good luck......moose
    This Monday I went in for my brake job. The service manager said he would work with me on the repair. I got my front rotors turned and lifetime warranty pads for $170.00, that's on the dodge van.. I know, same thing.
    This time I got to talk with the mechanic directly and He sees this alot. But as I was sitting and waiting I was bending the ear of a woman, also with a 2008 van, who's had 2 brake jobs. But she was covered under some kind of full warranty she purchased and did n't know how many miles she had on her van. My point is, there are a lot of people out there who do not know any better. I had to push and fight and go in fully prepared to get my deal because I'm a woman and you know they weren't gonna go easy on me!!! But I did not go down with out a fight, and I've called and filed a complaint with chrysler and you have to contact the DMV also, they have a complaint dept. and if they get enough of us, hopefully there will be TSB, or some other sort of recall.
    I'm glad you pitched a "fit", I really can't blame the service guys I think they are just fielding the complaints for Chrysler. I asked if there was any type of Service Bulletin from Chrysler and you should have seen this guys face.. but he told me there was not. So I'm not sure if he lied, but I was pretty happy getting out of there with just $170.00 out of my pocket.. GOOD LUCK and keep on fighting.

;)
    First let me congratulate you on your fight. I'm a man but I don't necessarily think these dealers are singling out woman (I've seen some woman trash these service people better than a lot of men). I think the dealers are coached by management to try to extract as many $$$$ as possible before letting up. I think they try to determine the info level a customer has and then go for it. I just got back from picking up my Van. Brakes and doors were fixed ($624). Doors were fixed under warranty but I had to pay for new brakes/rotors. I again mentioned that Chrysler has a program in place (one time) to fix brakes on 08 vans for no charge (in my last post I mentioned I called Chrysler and they told me to send them reciepts and they would send me a check to cover the amount). The service guy looked at me and said they received no such notice. I called my chrysler mechanic friend on the east coast and he told me that CHRYSLER ABSOLUTELY HAS THIS PROGRAM IN PLACE! So here I am (a man) dealing with this idiot service man who obviously is BSing me through his teeth. If I were a woman I would have slapped this moron silly. In any event, I think Chrysler service dealers are trying to cover this up as best as possible. I'm going to talk to some of my lawyer friends an perhaps send a note to the Attorney General. One question for you: Was your dodge van an 08 and how many miles? Chrysler will only cover brake repairs up to 25K miles for original owners who bought the vans new. Also, my service idiot said they get declined all the time for reimbursement from Chrysler for these brake jobs. It took me 5 minutes with Chrysler complaint dept. to get this process done. My tech friend said his dealership has never had a decline since they started doing these brake repairs in the past year.
  • bprice3bprice3 Member Posts: 1
    We've had our 2008 Grand Caravan since 10/08. It had only 16,000 miles when we found out it needed new brakes and rotors! Which is not covered under the warranty. It cost $427 to replace. Is this a joke? This car has been in the shop 4 times and we have it a little over a year.
  • yahooliganyahooligan Member Posts: 17
    Just a quick update, our lemon law case is moving forward. It's been about 1.5 months since filing and we're getting closer to a resolution, but I don't want to give any details until the case is closed.

For anyone that's had to deal with the brakes more than 2 times within the basic warranty period and is tired of dealing with it (Personally, I don't want to have to budget having the brakes done every 8 months), I suggest contacting a lemon law attorney and getting their opinion. The fact that Chrysler HAS issued a TSB for the brakes is an admission of defect and makes the case for a lemon-law buyback much stronger. Unfortunately, the TSB does not fix the problem.

Hope to have a resolution within a few weeks.
    CALL CHRSYLER CORP with your details! I did and they are doing a one time courtesy coverage on 2008 T&C van brakes. My dealer denies knowing of this program but they are full-of-[non-permissible content removed] according to sources. They just want to get you to pay. Of course I've not received my check yet ($550 for all brakes/rotor replacement) but I've sent in all info requested by Chrysler. I'm wondering if I'll get my check or Van back first? I took my Van back after my recent brake job last week because one of my wheels froze. Turns out the service technician forgot to tighten the caliper bolts on the brakes. If I'd been going at freeway speeds I'd probably be dead due to a rollover. It's been over a week now dealer trying to fix my van (broken parking brake cable, rotors, calipers.... blah blah.). I'm looking at lemon law so I'm real interested in seeing what happens with above poster.
  • hoffer2hoffer2 Member Posts: 1
    I sure would like to know what number you used to call Chrysler.

I have a 2008 Caravan and been having brake problems over the past 6 months. First it was the brake pads, now it's the brake rotors. After reading your reply that Chrysler is aware of this problem, I called my dealer and he basically told me to call Chrsyler Customer Hotline. I did and they told that they do not have any type of program concerning a "good faith" brake replacement on 2008 Caravans. They did say they would have a representative call me within the next 48 hours to discuss my concern about my brakes.
    There is no "good faith" replacement program, my dealership was willing to work with me cuz I made a HUGE stink. I only called Chrysler and got the standard "12 months, 12,000 miles) answer. They did not do anything for me. When you call the dealership back talk to the service manager!!! I did alot of research on here and the internet. Believe me there is a lot of concern out there on these brake pads.
    Call Chrysler 1-800-992-1997 and contact the NHTSA to complain 1-888-327-4236.
    also, google. 2008 dodge caravan brake problems and you can read about all the issues. We are all having the same probs. Good luck, and be persistant. ;)
    Hoffer2

When I called Chrysler I told them that my brother in law (Chrysler Mechanic on east coast) told me his dealership was regularly replacing brakes on 2008 T&C and Chrysler was picking up the tab for those that created a "stink". Most people just pay up and don't push the issue. Dealers claim there is no brake replacement program at Chrysler. Dealers have all been coached by Chrysler to try to suck as much money as they can. When you call Chrysler tell them the brakes have a design flaw and no similar vans have ever had this kind of problem (i.e. replacing brakes at 12 - 17K miles... nuts). This is unheard of in the auto industry. The latest research shows the 2008 T&C gained over 500 lbs and the rotors were not adjusted for the increase. In addition, apparently cheeper brake pads were used which wear out much faster than normal. I would also call NHTSA and report. On the NHTSA website there have been about 15 times the number of brake complaints on Chrysler 2008 vans. The 07 and 09 have had very few complaints. Eventually, if enough complaints are received, NHTSA will force Chrysler to recall the 08 vans and replace the brakes with quality parts which will last. Funny thing is the the 09/10 T&C have not had brake problems. If they managed to fix the problem then why not offer solutions to custormers of 2008 vans? ANSWER: Its all about the money.....
  • larrye98larrye98 Member Posts: 4
    My wife & I had our brakes replaced at about the 21,000 mile mark. We bought the van with about 14,000 miles on it from the dealer. It was a demo meaning it was used but since the dealership used it, we were the "first registered" owners. We got brake pads, 1 rotor, & 1 caliper replaced at 'Just Brakes' for about $450. The good thing about going there is the brake pads have a lifetime warranty so you don't have to keep paying for new ones when they wear out. That'll save us some money. Unfortunately, the brake problem is very real & will need to be fixed often. Our friend is changing her Kia's brake pads for the first time after 75,000 miles. No wonder Chrysler went bankrupt.
  • 24sam24sam Member Posts: 10
    My father just had all 4 brakes replaced ,rotors everything. I saw all these issues here and called Chrysler customer service. He just missed warranty when he took it in. Rep. was very pleasant said there was NO PROGRAM or deals but was real positive that since he was so close to warranty they would take care of him. Well just received phone call from them SORRY cant help because dealer says that brakes problems were from rust and corrosion from lack of use he didn't drive it enough!!!!!! This is the honest reply I received???????????? 12,089 miles and all 4 brakes were shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If I were you I'd push the issue. I did get quit a giggle out of your message. It was your Dad's fault because he didn't drive enough!! LOL, It was all our faults because we actually USED our brakes! Go figure, which is it already!
    Call comsumer protection and file a complaint with them.
    How many miles on the van?
    Oh I am pushing it, wish I had a picture of my face when I heard their reason I think steam was coming out of ears. Called dealership left message for service manager,head mech. asking them if really could have given such a stupid reason. I pointed out to them that they seen the car almost every three to four months since purchased and he has the records that they changed oil and cked brakes,etc , etc all according to their " 5 STAR SERVICE certification " claim also states on paperwork. stated on messages that and that must mean they failed to see the " rusted and corroroded parts from lack of use" my god can you believe somebody could really try to say something like that???? GUESS WHAT ?? service manager called back this afternoon. BIG mistake I should contact national customer service rep. and them call dealership back he had discussed this with head mech. everything will be taken care of!!! Is this how Chrysler is going to WIN back customers ??????? I urge anyone with this problem dont back down . I still am going to write and email every person I can about this including the big shots!!! Sometimes its a waste but its better than doing NOTHING.
    Hi, could let us know how you made out . I called dealer and chrysler customer service line and been told no such offer, but they said they might be able to do something because just missed 12,000 warranty coverage by 89 miles, called back and sorry dealer told them that all 4 brakes had to be replaced due to ...now get this " LACK OF USE " and that caused brakes to become rusted and corroded. Well I blew stack and called dealership and heard back from to call back Chrysler rep. and tell them to call them they had talked it over with head mech. decided that they would take care it. Waiting to hear back from Chrysler now. wonder how you made out. Thanks
  • billgrissombillgrissom Member Posts: 15
    I have owned a 2002 Town & Country 3.8L for 9 mos. I haven't had to service the brakes yet but can give some perspective both as an engineer and from having replaced brakes on many vehicles including a 96 Voyager.

First, Chrysler doesn't manufacture brakes or rotors, they only select parts from the same vendors most manufacturers use, including Toyota and Honda. Brake design has hardly changed in 20 years. GM did try an innovation in composite rotors a few years back that proved problematic, but I haven't heard much else. A valid complaint might be if Chrysler selected under-sized components, but I have no knowledge and you will probably find they are using the largest rotors that will fit under the wheels. My T&C as 11.2"D rotors vs the 10"D rotors in my smaller Voyager. What has changed is that the new minivans are now maxi-vans >4500 lb. Chrysler doesn't even offer the 4 cylinder engine anymore. Ditto for other manufacturers. Customers (us) demand this.

Mileage doesn't translate into brake life, only braking does. Use your brakes sparingly. I see many drivers racing to a red light, then braking. Use the engine to slow downhill and even when coming to a stop, downshift when necessesary. Brake pads have much less life since asbestos was eliminated. The longest life comes from so-called "ceramic" pads, but they also wear rotors faster. I say "so called" because there are many things cast into the pad material and there are no industry standard terms so they can call any pad anything they want.

As soon as you are out of warranty, don't go to a dealer for brake jobs. Besides specialty shops, you can learn to change brake parts yourself. It is about a 2 on a scale of 10 in repair complexity. I typically pay $20 for front pads, $10 to have a rotor turned, and sometimes just $10 for a new rotor. I don't know where these $800 charges come from. Disc brakes are simpler to replace than drum and current designs are even simpler than years past. I do all repairs myself because is much cheaper, takes less time, and I avoid all the hassles of negotiating, dishonesty, incompetence, and lack of interest in my needs. I hope to never be a beggar in front of a snotty service manager.
  • ayersintayersint Member Posts: 2
    The disturbing thing about the brake issue is that I was previously a FSE for the Top 3 and have been involved in safety investigations. I have never seen anything that compares to the aggressive wear experienced on the T&C.
    I find it equally disturbing that NHTSA has not done anything to address this issue.
    I had to change the front pads at 20,000 miles and now at 35,388 am subject to replacment of both the pads and rotors. We're not talking about drfiving habits; it's corporate negligence given durability testing that has to be performed before a product released. While the wear may not have resulted in a safety recall, the gravity of the issue is no less than the firestone issue that Ford experienced. The only thing saving Chrysler is the bankruptcy and government intervention.
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Fill out a complaint form on the NHTSA web site. Chrysler is claiming the problem is normal wear and tear or driving habits. Best chance is to get NHTSA to formally open up an investigation.

It's unfortunate, but the NHTSA would probably have already done that had there been some deaths associated with premature brake pad wear.
  • ayersintayersint Member Posts: 2
    NHTSA #10306890
    I'd like to join your cause.
    I appreciate your dedication to the classic Family Van which really has stood the test of time, HOWEVER... Having been in the industry as well as being a FSE (Field Service Engineer) for the Big 3, I am really upset!! Believe it or not I returned from a 2005 bullet proof T&C only to buy a new 2008 loaded. Expecting the same, if not improved experience, the brake design and metering is totally unacceptable. Having changed the front brake pads at 23,000 miles only as a PM preventive maintenance move, at 35,388 the whole front system will now have to be replaced. The industry did go through major brake redesigns when asbestos was removed back in 1995 causing the entire industry to re-think and re-design brake systems. DVP (design verification & prove out) is required, someone blew it and should be fired! Having owned and serviced over two hundred and fifty cars, I have never seen such a deplorable release to the general public. It's really a shame but Daimler Chrysler should step up to this issue or take the T&C out of production all together. Just reading all these blogs will convince NHTSA eventually that they need to react. While you and I may find the T&C a great vehicle in the market segment, the brake system IS NOT, nor should not have been released! Whoever designed this system and says they tested and proved it out had to be smoking dope! This van had the ability to stand above any foreign competition and to have this put a black mark on what should be a best seller is a crime. Sincererly, DISGRUNTLE ;) D
  • dasboot72dasboot72 Member Posts: 115
    Chrysler TSB #05-006-08 Describes premature brake wear and has new rotor and pad part numbers to correct the issue. Hope this helps.
    Thanks ...but this was mentioned in other posts and on a differant site. Chrysler does not acknowledge this TSB and according to their customer service there is know such thing. GOOD NEWS ...... they have agreed to cover the cost but do not admit that there is any problem . Can not stress this enough ""m FILE A REPORT WITH THE NHTSA as we all have seen the issures with Toyota brakes ect. I have seen more complaints online and in blogs then have been filed with the NHTSA.
  • yahooliganyahooligan Member Posts: 17
    I posted about the TSB back in March 2009 (Almost a year ago), in post #12. We had the TSB performed and it did not fix the problem.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1bbe4a/11!keywords=allin%3Amsgtex- t%20limit%3A.f1bbe4a%20tsb#MSG11

To 24sam, Chrysler DOES acknowledge the TSB, they published it! They even acknowledge that there IS a problem if you call them. The burn is that they say there's still no fix and there's nothing they can or will do long-term for anyone that calls and complains. We went down that path, they specifically asked "What would you like us to do?" and when we said "Replace the brakes for free until there's a fix" they said "Sorry, there's nothing we can do."

Thus we started lemon-law proceedings late last year.
    Well see whats so confusing and I am sure that works for them. I have spoke to them six times and three different people and THEY DO NOT ADMIT OR ACKNOWLEDGE TBS or that there is any problem with 2008 brakes to me or three other owners I have talked too but they are going to cover cost of brakes minus the tax charged so in their words " the warranty will stay in force " They say that they have nothing to do with deciding on covering cost or not they have to go by what the dealership tells them. Sorry they are not covering your cost and you have to go the lemon law route but thats where we were going next. Good luck
    I have been a Chrysler Mechanic for 15 years and I know how their system works. I can tell you first off that the brake wear issue is not seen accross the board on all RT body vans (2008-2010). As a matter of fact I probabally only see it on about 10% or so. That being said and comparing the same vans the differnce boils down to driving style more than anything. I'm not saying your doing anything wrong, it's just litle differences that add up over time to different brake wear patterns. For instance, my wife drives a 2003 Jeep Liberty which we bought new. It currently has 146,000 miles on it. Anyway she has a way of using her brakes that are constantly warping rotors giving the Jeep a pedal pulsation. I rarely see this in any other Liberty's. It is not at all common but she manages do do it consistantly. I have even installed vented performance rotors and she did it again! Getting back to your van, Chrysler does see an abnormally high amount of brake wear complaints on the RT vans or they wouldn't of came out with the TSB. You could always try a different type of brake pad. A performance ceramic pad or such. Just trying to help.
  • fpeckfpeck Member Posts: 7
    Excuse me.....I have been driving for 30 years, have owned more than 15 new vehicles, have never bought a used one, and the T&C is a piece of junk. It is not the customers driving habits that is causing this problem. As far as trying a different type brake pad? What are you talking about. When I buy a new car, the only thing I want to worry about is how much gas I have, not whether my brakes are gonna crash & burn before I get there. It is not only the brakes/rotors , we have had electrical problems, door problems, third row seat problems, We got rid of it and traded it in after the 3rd set of brakes, losing 8000 in quity on the deal. So dont tell me that it is driving patterns. I bought a Toyota and glad of it, I am proud of the way they are admitting their issues and dealing quickly and swiftly. I would buy 10 Toyotas with 10 recalls each before I would buy another chrysler product.
    couldn't agree with you more apparently Chrysler? Dodge does not agree with when spend that kind of money you shouldn't have to worry about all this stuff, We have been lucky and brakes are the only problem we have had. Good luck to you!!
  • drchampiondrchampion Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the post and the advice. Same problem as described.... Bought the Grand Caravan new and fully loaded. Brakes and rotors need to be replaced now. We only have ~ 23k miles on the vehicle. Never had this type of problem before with any vehicle. The vehicle replaced a 1994 Grand Caravan. We only replaced the brakes once on that one. This is very poor work on Dodges part.
  • michael413michael413 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same trouble with my 2008 tc with 17000 miles, the dealer refuses to fix the problem.

Do you know if there is anything in writing about the "Goodwill repair"?

Thanks for your help..

Mike
  • drchampiondrchampion Member Posts: 2
    I don't know about "goodwill repair"...

I went into the local dealer today and spoke with the assistant manager (the manager and owner were not there today). This fellow took down some information. In particular the TSB (technical service bulletin (05-006-08) information. I informed him of the many instances, like yourself, where the brakes have worn out prematurely and this should not be happening. He agreed and promised to have the service manager take care of the problem when he returned. We shall see what really ends up happening, but I am preparing to run them over the coals if they do comply. This is really wrong and the company needs to fix this. I would advise going in with as much information as possible and talking to the manager or owner of the dealership. Please file a complaint with NHTSA and call Dodge. Even write letters to your local paper and chamber of commerce as required.
    Chrysler will often offer a Goodwill Repair to an original owner of a Chrysler vehicle that has a mechanical failure shortly out of warranty of a little further out of warranty if a known issue exists with that particular failure. That being said they will often make sure that all maintanance has been done when needed and the vehicle has been generally well taken care of. This kind of verification is easier when your vehicle has been dealer cared for and Chrysler weighs that in its final decision for Good Will help. Sometimes Goodwill help will cover 100% of repairs, sometimes 50%. Sometimes they will pick up the parts and the cust will pick up the labor. The situation is what warrants the response from Chrysler. And I should say that although I have been a Chrysler dealership mechanic for 15 years I know plenty of other dealership employees at other brands and they all have similar Good Will repair criteria.
  • buckeye16buckeye16 Member Posts: 2
    Just took my 2008 T & C to the shop to replace front brake pads (22k miles). I could hear the grinding of metal on metal but had not heard the warning squeal you normally get when pads wear out. The mechanic called to tell me that the pads weren't worn out, that one had basically fallen apart and that's why I heard metal on metal. Fat chance the dealer will cover it, but I'm going to try.
    Brakes pads and rotors are covered 12/12 only. There is no way you will get your brakes warrantied at 22K. 22K isn't bad expecially if it is city driving.
  • lasmart613lasmart613 Member Posts: 1
    I've been a big fan of Chrysler products until now.

Bought this van new. Within the first year, the brakes were metal on metal at only 24,000 miles - I figured the OEM brakes were probably crap so wasn't too upset by this. Took it into a brake shop, they informed me that the calipers were bad and needed replacement. They also showed me that one of the rotors needed replacement. I had trouble believing that, so I had them show me with the micrometer and everything. I declined the rotor and caliper replacement, got the brake pads and drove to the dealer (GO DODGE in Englewood, CO). The brake shop told me that I would be back in 3-6 months. The dealer denied that there was a problem, said the rotors were fine, nothing wrong with the calipers, etc. They told me that the brake shop was trying to sell me extra stuff that was unneeded- basically accusing them of trying to rip me off!

In less than 6 months (only about 10,000 miles) later, the brakes were grinding again (no warning squeal prior to the grinding). Went back... Now, I need 4 rotors, pads, and calipers. The brake shop informed me that the brakes are undersized and that the Master Cylinder is poorly designed.. and that the Master Cylinder led to the failure of the calipers.

Yesterday, I took it to the dealer again, informing them of the problems. Once again, they denied there were any problems. They told me that everything was fine and that disc brakes are only designed to last 15-20k miles. At this, I became extremely irate, informing him that I've owned 15 cars, 10 of which were new. This is my 5th Chrysler product... and never have I had brakes crap out after 10,000 miles! He insisted in telling me that I'm wrong... I cussed him out profusely over the phone at which point he told me to come and pick up the van and that they would not service it.

I walked in and demanded to talk to the manager. After waiting for 15 minutes, I got to speak to him. I told him that there is a design flaw, and that it needs to be corrected. He said that if there was a problem they would fix it. He brought me out of the waiting area into his office so the people in the waiting room would not here me talk about their shoddy brakes.

After about 10 minutes of discussion, he FINALLY said "do they put [non-permissible content removed] brakes on their vans? YES! They are undersized and we are well aware of it." He said they get 60-70 cases per week!

So after they spent all that time lying to me, telling me that the independent brake shops were trying to screw me, they FINALLY admitted to their problem.

He gave me the number to Chrysler and told me to have them open up a call... and if they agreed to cover the repair or any part of it, they would do the repair.

I got the call from Chrysler today. They spoke to the service manager who admitted that the brakes were undersized and "[non-permissible content removed]". The rep (Nick) on the phone told me that the service manager told him that my brakes had "normal wear", so Chrysler refuses to cover any of the repair and have closed the call.

I'm done with Chrysler/Mopar... which means I'm done with American cars altogether.
  • jayg123jayg123 Member Posts: 2
    Just admit their mistake and fix these freak'in things!
  • buckeye16buckeye16 Member Posts: 2
    At 18k miles the grinding starts without the warning squeal. Brake shop said the front left pad broke apart which caused the problem, not worn out pads. A new rotor, pads and $250 to fix it. I don't care what Chrysler says, people shouldn't have to spend $200, $300, $400 etc on vehicles with less than 20k miles on them. This is my first and last chrysler purchase.
    reply Lasmart613, sorry to hear about your brakes, PLEASE file a report with NHSTA www.nhtsa.dot.gov.........and dont give up !!! take deep breath call the Chrysler customer service line again but be ..calm, polite and very clear. I know its hard to keep calm because they handle everything so insanely and I hate to believe this but I have come to believe that they do what they do to drive us nuts and frustrated so we just give up. Its taken over month and a half but we are soon to receive the full amount we spent on replacing all 4 brakes pads, rotors everything , that was with less then 12000 miles but we didn't get it in for another 50 miles or so. They first came out with the most stupid reason ... that the van wasn't driven enough and brakes got corroded and rusty sitting in the driveway well I a most busted artery when i heard that They still will not admit there is anything wrong. Heck I would even call your congressman and senators tell them this could be the next Toyota mess and somebody dies their gonna look stupid. No i dont think anything is a waste time, Oh another one is ask to speak to the zone rep for your area. Good luck
  • jennhalcyonjennhalcyon Member Posts: 3
    Glad to see I am not the only one!! My T&C is 2 years old (2008) fully loaded, a whopper of a lease payment. I have 12,241 miles on it (I work from home and only drive the kids around), and just found out I'm metal to metal on both front tires!!! I told the dealership that I didn't hear a squeal and he said the new brake pads don't squeal. So I asked him how I was supposed to know at 12k that I would need brakes if they don't give a warning. His answer was that if I had my tires rotated every 6k I would know. I had him look up the last time they rotated them and it was 6,679. So I am 400 miles under that mark, and I am into both rotors. I said please tell me how I was supposed to predict this then, and he told me to call Chrysler and file a complaint. I did, and gave them the whole story, and a resolution manager is supposed to call me before COB tomorrow with a "resolution." I hope that "resolution" is new brakes and rotors at no cost to me!

Has anyone needed them at such low mileage? I saw alot of posts that seemed to need them at 17k or 20k.

Don't even get me started on the broken rear seat that won't go up, the door sensors that detected invisible obstacles (even after being fixed at the dealer), the leaky sunroof, or the radio that occasionally goes blank and silent!!! :lemon:

Jenn
    edited March 2010
    Jenn, if you do a google search on 2008 dodge brake problems, you will reveal a plethora of issues with brakes at various stages of mileage, all of which are, in my opinion, ridiculously low. You will hopefully be covered by the warranty which is 12 mos. or 12k on brakes. Good Luck.. Do Not Back Down!! definetely file that complaint with Chrysler, also NHTSA.gov , file a safety report, and let your dealership know you are not happy.
    I am very concerned that they will just keep putting off all our complaints until something like what happened to Toyota happens to them, then they'll be listening. I truly believe they are just cutting corners and being cheap with parts, but the dealership denies that. Good luck and again, don't let them push you around, it is NOT NORMAL to be metal to metal at 12k!!! ;)
    They all wait until several people become injured in an accident, or even killed before they do anything about these issues.
    It's called "Risk Management" !! They will just wait until one of us poor people get into a wreck! :sick:
    Yes there are alot!! My fathers brakes on all 4 wheels ,rotors everything ..shot with less then 12,000 ,we are presently waiting full reimbursement but it took plenty of calls ,lots of frustration and just dont give up! be polite AND PLEASE make sure you file a report with the NHTSA.. ITS IMPORTANT to get as many complaints in as we can otherwise they do nothing until alot people start getting killed. Good luck
  • podatchryslerpodatchrysler Member Posts: 8
    Reading through these messages just made me realize I don't have it off so bad. Same problems as everyone else except mine made it to 27,000 before they crapped themselves out. Difference is, we do TONS of highway driving.

So I guess that whole 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper thing is total crap.

Wrote to NHTSA. Not expecting anything.

REALLY twisted with myself a 1,000 times before finally committing to by this thing. Almost 100% against Chrysler as my first and only other experience with them (84 Chrysler New Yorker was a disaster) but they kept on pitching the warranty, the warranty, the incredible reliability.

Once....twice.... there won't be a 3rd time, I can assure you of that - 100%
    We strictly bought the TC because of the warranty brand new. I can honestly say now, I have never felt so stupid. I don't care if the door lock knobs break. Bumper to bumper should cover everything. I cannot even imagine replacing these things every 20,000 miles. My cost today at Midas was $479
  • jennhalcyonjennhalcyon Member Posts: 3
    Got a call from Ray at Chrysler today. He said that they would like to provide assistance with my brake situation. I was told to call the dealer and schedule an appt to have them look at the brakes, and I was given a case number to give to them. The gentleman at the dealership (same one I dealt with yesterday) was extremely gracious and even told me that the "assistance" is nearly always the cost of the job less a $50 or $100 "deductible" or "contribution" on my part. Anyone else ever hear these words from Chrysler, either at the corporate level or the dealership level?

Thanks,
    Jenn
    kicker is, Chrysler closed them down 5 months after we bought our car from them. Local dealership has no interest in working with us. (May have something to do with us passing on the opportunity to pay them $6,000 more than the dealership we finally settled on)

Regardless, will pay a LOT more attention to consumer reviews the next time I look at a vehicle purchase and regardless what the reviews say - Chrysler will never see our money or referrals again.
  • clubguyclubguy Member Posts: 15
    See post #73 in T&C,Dodge brake problems....Personal experience on March 11th. with our T&C.....
  • clubguyclubguy Member Posts: 15
    See post #151 here and #73 in "brake problems section...