Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Chrysler T&C & Dodge Caravan brake life expectancy!

12345679»

Comments

• focuspullerfocuspuller Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    I had to change my front rotors and pads on my 2008 T&C at just under 12,000 miles. I was in luck as I did the work myself and was able to bill Chrysler. Since I did the work (free labor) and get non OEM parts, EBC Green Stuff Pads with slotted and dimpled rotors for less than OEM, the cost for 4 wheels was less than Chrysler doing the fronts only...$628.00.

Submitted the bill with the form they sent me and go all but $2.58 back.

Now for the other....The Brake Fluid Chrysler uses is of poor quality. Mine was dark brown with under 12,000 miles. I upgraded to ATE TYPE 200 Amber Brake Fluid. I got a set of "Speed Bleeders" (http://www.speedbleeder.com/), and now change my brake fluid in under 30 minutes myself.

The poor quality brake fluid that Chrysler uses causes the calipers to rust inside and hangup.

After 20,000 plus miles on the EBC brakes I have more than half left.

The stopping power of EBC components is great.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    edited January 2013
    I figure it is about time to follow up on this. It has now been nearly 9 months and about 18k miles on the cquence rotors and amazon pads. All is still good.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• annfromjerseyannfromjersey Member Posts: 38
    Several moms at school have the new Odyssey and have nothing but praise for their new vans. Haven't heard any recalls for Odysseys.
    edited January 2013
    If you haven't heard, it is only because you aren't listening.

It is actually difficult to find a vehicle that doesn't have recalls, if not near impossible, at least from the major brands. If you'd like to know the list for any particular year Odyssey, let me know. Here is just the very latest campaign.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

This forum is regarding brakes. The link is for Odyssey air bags - not the same or relevant. My T&C has had 2 air bag recalls - so what's your point? Show me a massive recall from any car regarding premature brake failure.
    edited January 2013
    You said you haven't heard of any recalls for the Odyssey. I was answering. I didn't realize you were talking about just brakes, as your statement didn't specify.

Is there a recall for the T&C brakes? I hadn't heard or read that. Do you have a link or a recall letter?

The whole thread is called "brake life expectancy".
    SMH. Yes there was a brake recall awhile ago, about 20,000 miles. Google it. Covered replacing front brakes with a $100 deductible. Dodge and Jeep (Chryler products) also have had brake issues.
    edited January 2013
    I did google it. Found nothing. A recall doesn't typically involve a deductible because a recall is a safety issue and MUST be fixed. If you have a link, I'd appreciate if you could provide it. Maybe I'm actuall owed something.

The older recall you speak of, I believe, was this:
    The recall applies to some 2010 model year Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Avenger sedans; Dodge Nitro, Jeep Liberty, Jeep Commander and Grand Cherokee SUVs; and 2009 and 2010 model year Ram trucks.

And that affected just 24,000 vehicles. Far fewer than the 412,000 Honda Odysseys and Elements (2007-2008) that had a brake recall.

I want to stress, again, that I'm not trying to belittle the brake problem. I just want people to be honest with themselves and not blow it out of proportion or fool themselves into thinking this is some sort of isolate Chrysler problem.

• tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    Our '10 T&C just turned over 30k miles with original brakes. The fronts still look good, but rears were getting kinda thin, so I changed those out with NAPA hybrid ceramic pads. Rotors looked ok, but changed them to NAPA premium rotors, as well (they had a good sale going on). Will probably do the front brakes at the next oil change/tire rotation (every 5k miles). I do all the work. This is our fourth Chrysler minivan. I knew before buying this one I would be doing brake jobs, but others had to be done every 20-25k miles. This one isn't bad, especially considering it is a 4,500 lb vehicle that is subjected to lots of stop-and-go driving. So far, so good!
  • tsu670tsu670 Member Posts: 293
    While I have posted rather positive comments regarding the brakes on our 2010, I must mention something that happened this past week. The small parking brake pull off spring on the back of the right rear caliper snapped in half. Caused parking park to be "on," so serious drag on that wheel. This happened before I changed out the pads and rotor on that side, but shortly after I rotated the tires. Fortunately, it was discovered after a short drive, but even so the brake was pretty hot. Spring is dealer part. Out of stock, and only one left in the metropolitan area. Got that one the next day. Used small spring found in tool box as temporary repair, replaced that one with new one when it came in and ordered another new spring for the other side (do one, may as well do the other, eh?). Spring was pretty corroded. New spring looks to be glavanized.