Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Chrysler T&C & Dodge Caravan brake life expectancy!

Comments

• gunksnygunksny Member Posts: 12
    Thanks - I'm not optimistic, but I will send a letter here as well and keep everyone posted.

I encourage everyone here to file a complaint with the NHTSA - it only takes a few minutes and it might force Chrysler to actually do something about this issue. Maybe a class action lawsuit would do the same.

Again - here is the link to file a complaint with the NHTSA:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I would give my left eye tooth to know what Chrysler changed between the 2007 (my DGC) and the 2008 model years that would have caused such a widespread problem with the brakes. As I said before, I replaced the front pads on our 2007 at 42,000 miles, now have 58,000 miles on the van and rotors and the new pads are doing just fine.

Is the brake problems with the 2008 and later years really that widespread, or are we just hearing from those who are having unresolved problems?
    The redesigned 2008 T&C came in at 300-400 lbs heavier than the 2007. My guess is that they either used the same brakes/pads as they did for the lighter T&C or inferior ones to save $$. But who knows.
  • metoo5metoo5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 T&C Touring. No brake problems (other than that black dust). Fixed that by replacing OEM pads with high quality ceramic pads from NAPA. Did that at 10k - now at 50k and still fine.

On our recent trip to Florida, the right front started making loud "crunching" type noise with a sharp right or left turn. Took it to an Orlando dealer and found the "drive axle" needed replacement. Dealer says we were lucky, "they usually don't make noise - they fall off". They had the part in stock (it's a popular part) and started right at it. While working on that they had anti-freeze drip on them. Found the water pump was leaking - so they changed that. Then they gave me a "23 point free inspection" and told me to see my dealer when I get back to Cleveland. The rack and pinion was seeping and the power steering fluid was burnt - signifying the internal of the rack was under stress. Chrysler extended warranty won't allow a change out until there is an actual leak - seeping don't count. He said it has to be watched - it will fail. I find it hard to believe that a van with 50,300 miles could have so many problems. My other vans surpassed 150,000 miles with fewer problems. I'm thankful that I bought the extended warranty - and pray that Chrysler continues to honor it and the lifetime warranty for the engine / drivetrain.

Seems to me that Daimler squeezed every penny out of Chrysler and didn't give a damn about quality. This is my 4th Chrysler mini-van and by far the worst. It looks good but the quality is gone. I bought this as I entered retirement - this would be the last vehicle we would purchase. What a piece of junk. Very disappointing!
  • abutcherabutcher Member Posts: 33
    I thought this forum is for 2008 Chrysler minivan brake issues.
  • yahooliganyahooligan Member Posts: 17
    The 2007 is totally different, the issue in this thread has to do with 2008 and newer T&C/Grand Caravans and their brake issues.
  • mendyusamendyusa Member Posts: 6
    presently 05 T&C LTD
    previously 96 Voyageur

Same problem as everyone life expectancy is vey short and apparently very profitable. That is until their out of business.
    Find a reputible independent and dont use OEM.
  • sunburstorangesunburstorange Member Posts: 7
    My Chrysler dealer admitted to the 2008 brake issues and said he has found that 20,000 KM= brake job for front and or back. Both bad, and the worst he has every seen for a caravan year yet.
  • woodss1woodss1 Member Posts: 1
    Everyone, I am experiencing the same issues with the poor brakes on my '08 T/C. I am getting ready to put my 5th set of pads on the vehicle with 50K miles on it. I have called and written Chrysler with no results toward the problem, so I am urging all of you to please register a complaint with NHTSA. Only if enough complaints are registered will Chrysler step up and do the right thing and issue a recall. Everytime that I spoke to a Chrysler customer service rep they stated that they had not received many complaints regarding the brakes. Please, Please, Please, let's stop complaining amongst ourselves and start registering the complaints with Chrysler and NHTSA.
  • dimsumdimsum Member Posts: 3
    Like others on this forum, our 2008 T&C LX required full brake replacement at 17K miles. Of course brakes are considered "wear" items and therefore not fully covered by 3/36K manufacturer comprehensive warranty, nor even some extended warranties.

However, after reading the other posts from owners in similar situations, and getting nowhere with the dealer, my wife spoke at length to Chrysler corporate and we had to pay "only" $250 for replacement. Somehow she remained calm on the phone with the rep -- I would have not been so kind...

I am fine having to replace brakes around 30/40/50K but not every year. Who knows how long this $250 "deductible" will be around. Throw in a previous AC/fan blower failure @ 13K and I don't want any more to do with this car, even though we purchased in January.

This past weekend, we traded in the vehicle and are switching brands. Sorry Chrysler -- we tried.
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Just curious - what did you pay for the van and what kind of trade in were you given?
    $14,853.45 OTD plus $2500 trade-in. This was in January 2009 as a Chrysler certified used vehicle with 3K miles.

I got a trade-in value of $12K. I probably could have pushed to get $13K (KBB value) but I was able to get the purchase price of the replacement vehicle down to what I though was fair, and then some. Also there was some minor panel damage to the rear fender and door. I did not shop around a lot either -- honestly, I just wanted to be rid of it.

Also I changed brands (Toyota) so I didn't expect to get as much as staying w/ Chrysler. Given the problems we had, that was fine by me.
    Hi -

Can you give us a number or tell us who your wife spoke to in Chrysler 'corprorate or how she got there? ' Seems like most get sent to a call center in India where its impossible to make any progress.

Congrats on moving on - I'm jealous. I'm pretty sure I owe alot more than the car is worth, which makes me even more annoyed.. I can't believe I bought this car brand new....from Chrysler no less. What was I thinking?
    Hi,

She called 800-992-1997 and patiently worked with the rep. Probably depends on which rep you get and how sympathetic they are (or aren't).
  • thanks_muchthanks_much Member Posts: 1
    Guess I should feel lucky that I made it to 22,800 miles before having to spend $600 on front and rear brakes and replace rotors. And that was through a trusted independent. Traded in my 2004 Honda Odyssey and tried to do the right thing since I live and work in Detroit. So 23,000 miles into my 27,000-mile lease I get the most expensive brake job of my life.

Thank you Diamler. Thank you Cerberus. Thank you taxpayers. I'm sure Fiat will fix the quality problems.

Next stop: NHTSA site to register a complaint.

Unbelievable.
    Here's an update to my situation. I sent a letter on October 13th. Today (October 26th), Chrysler called and said they authorized a check for 50% of the rear brake installation. I just hope they make a change to fix the problem.
  • kipndebkzookipndebkzoo Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2008 CT&C in April 2008 and immediately noticed TONS of break dust all over my nice shiny new wheels. The brakes "catch" every once in a while, and I sometimes "feel" like they are working against me. I can't believe the gas mileage difference from city to highway...astonishing difference, like 10 mpg to 30 mpg. I wonder if using brakes around town causes more "rubbing". Anyway, I don't have 15,000 miles yet even, and I am going to have them checked next week. I bought the lifetime warranty, a lot of good that will do me. Other than this I love the van...but brakes should last WAY longer than this... Maybe we SHOULD start a class action???
  • bennett4bennett4 Member Posts: 11
    Funny thing is after the brakes were completedly replaced front/rear (at 3800 miles), their is a lot more brake dust on the rears than the fronts so I bring it to the dealer as I think the rear pads are "dragging". They check it out and said all is well. My local mechanic feels strongly that they are in fact dragging. Chrysler doesn't care. I too find a drastic difference between "around town" gas mileage and highway mileage and think the dragging pads are one of the causes. I think the other is the gearing of the 6 speed transmission (engine revs too high before shifts).
  • ferd57ferd57 Member Posts: 1
    My wifes DGC has 19k and brakes are going bad. Just went to the parts place and got rotors and pads for the front. They only have semi metallic pads listed for this van. After reading all the post about ceramic pads Im confused.
    Will it hout to put semi metallic pads on with new rotors?
    Well, today was the last straw. The dealer says the rotors need to be replaced/machined again and we have to pay $400+ for it to be done, they won't cover it under warranty anymore and Chrysler corporate admitted over the phone that there is a known problem but they have no fix and will not continue to cover the rotors under warranty.

Pushing 28,000 miles on this '08 and this is at least the 4th time the rotors have needed to be replaced or resurfaced. The last repair they did were with "updated" rotors and pads that "should solve the problem." Well, this time the pads are actually OK but the rotors are shot.

I've contacted an attorney and will be starting the process to try and get this van bought back. It's quite unfortunate, my wife LOVES her van and would like to keep it forever, but not if we have to have the brakes done 1-2 times a year.

For those of you NOT wanting to try going this route, there is a company called Frozen Rotors that makes a great product and they do have rotors for the 08 Caravan. The reason I'm not going to try that is because I'm not 100% sure it will cure the problem and by doing so I likely lose my chance to file a lemon law suit since the parts on the van would then be aftermarket.
  • abutcherabutcher Member Posts: 33
    No, it will not hurt to put semi metallics on, in fact, they should last longer than the OEM pads, but they could wear the rotors sooner. Here are some characteristics between ceramic and metallic:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5463667_metallic-vs-ceramic-brake-pads.html

I would check with some other stores to get ceramics.
  • ragtop262ragtop262 Member Posts: 58
    Add me to the list of people with premature brake wear on our '08 T&C. We have 30,000 mostly highway miles and the front pads and rotors are shot (our previous T&C got 65,000 mi under the same conditions before brakes wore out). So far the rears look OK - (about half gone).

I'll be doing the replacement myself, with top of the line parts from NAPA costing a little over $200.

The thing I found strange is how deep the pads had worn into the rotors (even though there's no metal to metal contact yet). Way beyond the ability to resurface them. In the past, you could usually get the rotors resurfaced, allowing them to be used with a second set of pads.

One thing the parts guy told me was that the manufacturers used to source brake rotors from US based foundries, but have now switched mostly to Chinese foundries. Unfortunately all the aftermarket rotors they had available come from China as well. Not sure if that's really true or not - but these rotors surely look like a much softer material than in the past. (And if you use a softer rotor, you're forced to use a softer pad to prevent eating them up too fast. And soft rotors + soft pads = frequent brake jobs.)
  • pschultheispschultheis Member Posts: 12
    We received a phone call from the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center in response to the letter we sent asking for reimbursement. They are sending a check for $236.62 to us - we should have it in a couple of weeks. When I asked what the amount represented, the customer service rep mentioned it was for our sliding side door. I don't think he had accurate information though since we have never paid anything to have our sliding side doors fixed (yes, they have been an issue, but so far the service to fix them has been covered by the warranty). I asked if they'd be sending a letter explaining what the $ represent and the CSR said they would be. I am guessing the amount represents the portion we paid to the dealer for the brakes since that is the amount we paid them. The other amounts we paid were to our personal mechanic and I am guessing they won't cover this since we didn't go to the dealer. We will wait and see what the letter/check states when we receive it. I did also file a complaint with the NHTSA, Office of Defects Investigation - it is complaint #10291500 - I hope this helps anyone else who might need it.
    Hi there - see my post #75 for an update to our situation . . .

Have a good day and good luck to you.
    Hi there - please see my post #75 for an update to our situation.

Have a good day and good luck to you . . .
    Hi there,

Please see my post #75 with an update to our situation.

Have a good day and best of luck to you.
  • ragtop262ragtop262 Member Posts: 58
    I just finished reading my November 2009 MT magazine, and came across their long term test wrap up for their '08 T&C. They complained (but not too loudly) about being charged $615 to replace the front brakes with only 19,000 mi on the clock. That included flushing the brake fluid (not sure why you'd need to flush brake fluid on a vehicle that's less than a year old......).
    Thanks for the update. Today I received a check for $156 representing half of the cost of rear brake replacement. SOunds like you were lucky to get everything you paid your dealer. I'm thinking I should have done the fronts at the same time..
    I'm glad to hear you received some money back although I still think they should reimburse you for everything. Just guessing, but they may have been factoring in the fact that we had some additional work done by our own mechanic that they are not reimbursing us for. Who knows.

I'm still not comfortable with the outcome and am concerned about the future. We will take the car to the dealer from now on though in case we need to write Chrysler again . . .
  • poorvanpoorvan Member Posts: 4
    After three sets of front brakes my rear brakes went - all of this at less than 40k miles. I took the plunge and installed my new rotors and Wagner QuietStop ceramic brakes all from Advanced Auto Parts. Total cost was less than $200, and after a little learning curve I did one set in less than 25 minutes...very easy, plus the dealer wanted $500 for similar higher quality product. Advanced Auto even rents a tool designed specifically to collapse the caliper piston. I'm all ready to do the front when needed.
  • usavetusavet Member Posts: 9
    My Town & Country has had 3 front brake jobs and one rear brake job. Two sets of front rotors and one in the rear!! I had two of the front brake jobs done at Zooks, the local dealer, after the experience I took it to an independent mechanic the next two times. This vehicle has been used for work and for family use and vacations it has all road miles. The first set went out with rotors at around 20-23k, had pads and rotors turned at approx 32k. The rear rotors and pads went at 39k and the fronts went again at 48k. Also to add insult to injury both front wheel bearings went out between 50k and 55k. Right now as we speak there is a grinding sound coming from the right front!!! Wonder what that is!!! I am a 37 year old responsible father of 4 and I drive like it!! There is no way a vehicle should cost this much to maintain and this is a very well maintained vehicle!!!
  • robinh1robinh1 Member Posts: 1
    I too have had brake problems with my Town and Country 2008 van. I first need new rotors and pads at 11,000. Chrysler covered that under warranty. Then again at about 23,000 miles my pads needed to be replaced and rotors refinished. The second job I had done at Midas, they had to replace the front brake pads and resurface the rotors two more times (in the last two months) because they keep glazing.

Bottom line in conversations that I have had, it sounds like the rotors they put on this vehicle are not large enough to handle the weight of the van. I called the 1-800-992-1997 Chrysler Cust. Serv. number offered on another post (thank you!)...I will also file a complaint NHTSA listed in this forum of postings.

I just seeked out this forum today because I did not think what was happening to my brakes was normal and wanted to see if others were having the same problem. Clearly you are. Thank you all for your input. Hopefully they will do a recall soon and upgrade the rotors on all of our vehicles! We have to do our part and complain...
  • jayg123jayg123 Member Posts: 2
    My 2008 Dodge Caravan had rotors and rear brakes done under first year warranty a few months ago but now the front brakes and rotors need to be replaced 1 month after the bumper to bumper is expired. Just crazy, I am in Canada, where can I complain to get my money back and where can I complain to get this recall happening. I don't understand why criminal charges don't apply when they know the problem is from faulty workmanship and it causes a dangerous situation but they don't notify the customers?
  • sunburstorangesunburstorange Member Posts: 7
    My father and I both own 2008 Caravans and he has had to replace front and back complete brakes before 20,000 KM's after his back brakes seized/locked up on him!!!!!
    We would BOTH be interested knowing what we can do as we ALSO live in ONTARIO, CANADA.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I lived in Ontario for many years and the road salt just disintegrates brake parts (pads, rotors, etc.). I now live in Mississippi. In Ontario, I was replacing front pads between 20k and 25k KMs. In Mississippi, I had my first brake job done on a 2006 Caravan at 51k KM and that was only the pads. The original rotors are still on the vehicle. The rear brakes still haven't been serviced. With the newer version of the Chrysler vans (2008+ models) having 4 wheel disc brakes, the rear brakes become an expensive problem. You need to search for some good aftermarket parts and keep up-to-date for any Chrysler TSB's regarding the brakes. Good luck.
  • fpeckfpeck Member Posts: 7
    Please read my post #47, I also called Chrysler, and filed 2 complaints, we have had 3 sets of brake replacements in 1 1/2 years. and now our electrical system is completely down. Vehicle is in dealership repair shop right now. I asked the CSR at Chrysler for a buy back to get rid of it, and was told it was "DENIED" by the Chrysler District manager. When I asked for the district managers name, they would not give it to me and said I had to call the dealership to discuss the issue further. Needless to say we owe 40000. on a vehcile that books for 23000? We are screwed, but I am still getting an attorney. This is so not right. I was just wondering if you had had any success in your pursuit of justice?
  • prolasportsprolasports Member Posts: 1
    i have had my 2008 Caravan for less than a year and with 12000 miles my wife had heard the brakes squeek last week and this morning it completely goes out on her. Thank God nothing happened with our 3 kids in the car. I tow the car to my mechanic and he just called saying the pads and Rotors are completely gone and the rear pads have 20% left so might as well change those as well... Is Dodge gonna reimburse me? This is OUTRAGEOUS why did we buy this car again? with 12000 miles we shouldnt have these issues but it looks like the lifespan for the brakes is 10000 miles....
    If you have the chance to, take it to your Dodge dealer and have them fix it under warranty. You'll have a hard time getting them to reimburse you for the repairs if you let an independent shop do it while still under warranty. You also lose the ability to file a lemon law case if you let your mechanic deal with it.

My wife and I debated whether or not to just throw aftermarket rotors and pads on there and hope for the best or just give up and lemon law since we can't do both.

Anyway, as posted before, we decided to go the lemon law route. Been about a month since the filing, no updates yet.
  • wjtinatlwjtinatl Member Posts: 50
    I'm considering leasing a 2010 T&C but the brake issues are a deal breaker. The dealer tells me they have been "improved", but can't back that up with any detail about what has changed. The parts department shows the same parts #'s for 2008-2010 so I know larger rotors aren't part of the changes. Our '04 Navigator is on original pads and rotors at 80k, I'm not excited about 3-4 brake jobs at $400+ before a 3 year 45k mile lease expires. Anyone familiar with the changes?
  • bennett4bennett4 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 09 T&C that needed new rotors and pads (all 4) after only 3K miles. I can tell you that while the brake components have been upgraded (pads and slightly thicker rotors I am told) they are still not ideal for this vehicle. With that said, I think many vehicles share the same problems as most of these OEM parts are being made as cheaply as possible. My prior van (06) went through pads/rotors at 25K miles (pretty normal for stop/go driving) and I simply went aftermarket and had ceramic pads and better rotors installed solving the problem. The deal breaker for me might be the 6 speed tranny. The shift points are so high in 1/2/3 that they're killing city fuel economy. It's tough to beat on the highway though. I guess it's all about compromises. Good luck.
    I have an 08 T&C, that we have had 3 brake replacements, only 36,000 miles on it. Have had the 3rd row seat repaired, both sliding doors have had to be fixed, and the latest was the entire electrical system failed. Is in the shop now, and is no under warranty. I filed a complaint with NHST, then called Chrysler 6 times, I asked for a buy back, they denied me without even contacting the dealership to see what was wrong this time. I was told the "district manager" had denied the request, but they would not give me any names or people to contact. The dealership told me the same thing. We would file a lemon law suit, but the attys was 2500 to file the case up front, cannot gaurantee settlement, and may take years. The payoff on the van is 40,000, (yes we were overloaned on it to start with 1 1/2 years ago) OUr only option is going to be to trade it in for a Toyota Venza, and put in about $5,000 cash to get them to refinance over 44000. It sounds like a sad story, but I bet there are plenty others. We just dont know what to do, and we had to borrow the 5000 until income tax refund comes in. DO NOT BUY A TOWN AND COUNTRY VAN AND DO NOT EVER BUY ANOTHER CHRYSLER PRODUCT.
  • ascaainsleyascaainsley Member Posts: 1
    I found this forum last week when I was told that at 29k miles I needed new rotors on my 2008 T&C. Earlier at 22k miles we needed new pads but they never said a thing about the rotors. The only explanation I was given was that it was my "driving habits". I told the guy I know that isn't right and he went in to depth about how I shouldn't stop quickly at lights, etc. He doesn't know me much less ever seen how I drive. That was at the quick lube section of my dealership and after a few words he told me I should go to the service dept.-even though they told me to go there. I called them and told them my problems and they made an appointment for today - after they told me I had to pay for another brake inspection, which I politely told them NO, wasn't paying for another inspection.

Long story short, the manager came out to talk to me. He asked for my story and said "we have seen a lot of T&C with brake problems so I am going to authorize, under warranty, to replace not only the rotors but the brake pads." He is giving me back the pads that we just replaced in Sept. so I can use them in the future (hopefully not too near future). I got a call tonight from the dealer because I was having problems with the gear shifter (started Saturday after I made the appointment-lucky, I guess) and he said he had to order a whole new gear shift assembly so I would have to wait until Wednesday to get it back. They gave me a loaner so it is ok but when you are used to this with 3 kids, a Corolla just doesn't cut it. Ugh.

That makes brake pads and rotors, gear shift assembly and back auto door actuator that have been replaced.

So, be persistent. They know there is a problem but they don't give in easily. Like I told my dealership, I bought a NEW Chrysler so I didn't have to worry about safety or repairs but I am afraid to drive it with brakes like this. We paid good $$ for these vans and shouldn't be having these problems. I am writing Chrysler to tell them that my dealership fixed their faulty product. Maybe if enough of them are reported they will do a recall.
  • ahh65ahh65 Member Posts: 12
    I've been reading complaints for 2 days on the 2008 Caravan and I just can't believe it. All these stories sound like mine. Went for the oil change asked the dealership to check my brakes because they were squeaking at 18,000 miles. You should have seen my face when they told me I needed my rotors turned and new pads. I was appalled!! I could not believe it and I have been and will continue to contact anyone and everyone I can to have this situation fixed. There has to be something said when there are so many people complaing about the life of these brakes.
    Needless to say It really is not the dealerships fault but I blame Chrysler. I called them and pretty much got the "well, the warranty is 12 mos. or 12K, I'm sorry, but I'm not buying it!! I think I'm going to the Attorney General here in CT, and maybe even farther. Imagine how many people do not realize THIS IS NOT NORMAL. I would like to see Chrysler build or buy a better quality product that will last at least 36,000. I paid alot of money for my new van so I would not have to worry about this kind of nonsense so soon. Please, I plead with everyone who has this same complaint to take it as far as you can. Don't let the "customer service" at Chrysler just tell you nothing can be done, take it as far as you can. There is strength in numbers people, this is America. We can build a car that lasts 100,000 miles, but rotors and pads only last 13K to 20 K, that's just bologna and we all know it!! :mad:
    We had the same problem, i have posted on here 3 times, only 36000 miles, and already 3 sets of breaks, third row seat messed up, both sliding doors quit working. we have talke to Chrysler and asked for a buy back, was denied without the chrysler folks even looking at the vehicle. We were going to get an attorney, but the reality is they charge 2500 up front and dont gaurantee you are gonna win. we owed 40000 on the payoff. we took the vehicle to toyota and begged them to let us trade, we had to put 5000 cash in and finance another 42000, but we got rid of it and bought a new Toyota Venza. We caved in and traded to get out of the van deal, but we are so upset and hurt over this, this is the worst car experience i have ever had.
  • jimrosenjimrosen Member Posts: 3
    I'm a bit frustrated to read about all the people experiencing the same issue we're experiencing - without resolution or any sort of more general statement or action on the part of chrysler - and the attitude my dealer gave me yesterday.

Took the van in for it's regular oil change and aske them to inspect the brakes because they were squeaking again and uneven. We had the pads replaced at 12K miles because they were worn down to metal and was assured that the replacements were better than the pads applied on assembly.

the Tech came out and we discussed how not only were the pads gone the roters were also beyond machining and needed to be replaced as well - 21,000 miles and I have to replace the pads again and replace the rotors entirely. I actually asked if they were made of plastic.

When I asked the tech and the service department manager about this shey both kind of shrugged, and attempted to explain to me that on this van this wear and tear is normal and expected. I called BS on this and asked if the rotors and pads were made of plastic.

What's worse is when I asked whether the pads and rotors they were replacing the crappy ones with were any better, or if I'd have to plan on replacing them again in less than 20k miles, they shrugged and repeated that this is expected wear on these vans.

The consensus is that this wear and tear is absolutely, completely and without exception not expected - there is not a single person looking to buy, lease or borrow a car or van that would have ANY sort of reasonable expectation that they will be replacing pads every 12K miles, or that they would have to replace the rotors after 20k miles.

At approx $400 per incident, this flies in the face of reasonable expenses for maintenance of a vehicle. Is there any resolution available for this? Any avenue for being made whole for being sold a POS without disclosure??? Any attempt on the part of this company to address what is clearly a defective vehicle issue, with safety implications??
  • wjtinatlwjtinatl Member Posts: 50
    OK... well, I'm pretty sure I won't be leasing that T&C after all! 15-20k life expectance on pads and rotors is crazy given the materials and technology available. I hate the fact that Chrysler is the only domestic producing a minivan, and that I'll have to look at the Honda or Toyota to meet our needs. Given all the traouble these vans seem to be having, it's not difficult to see how Chrysler got in so much trouble!
  • jimrosenjimrosen Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the suggestion - i've submitted my defect complaint at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/
    That's perfect. I was told if there are enough complaints the the NHTSA, they will force Chrysler to issue a TSB - (service bulletin) and force them to recall these darn parts that they are using.
    My biggest prob is I'm going to have the rotors turned and pads replaced, for a few hundred dollars, and what will happen in another 20,000miles. I also hate people asking me if I am hard on my brakes!! Come on people if everyone is having the same prob and we all drive differently I highly doubt it's our driving!!
    :D
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    You may want to check out a Ford Flex. Good luck.
    Call Chrysler customer service and file a complaint. They will tell you the same old thing that its wear and tear, but still do it. Then go to NHTSA.gov and file a complaint with them, then pitch another [non-permissible content removed] at the dealer. Although it's not their fault. My dealership is willing to work with me. But I keep questioning them. Also ask them if there was a silent TSB issued by chrylser on the rotors or pads. I still need to do this, but if you sound like you know what you are talking about, maybe they will help you out a little more. Good Luck and don't give in. Imagine how many folks out there who have not complained and really think this is an ok repair at such low mileage.