Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1999 Mercury Grand Marquis Help....

Mercman76Mercman76 Member Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Ford
I need help? I have a 99 Grand Marquis and its acting really weird first I thought it was misfiring so I went to Autozone and had it scanned and nothing...I was mad and figured that the person didn't know what they were talking about so I went to another Autozone and the same.....I'm confused because I was told that if it was a coil or spark plug it would throw a misfire code. If it was a fuel injector it would throw a code saying a bad injector and what cylinder its present in, then I was told that it might be my harmonic balancer. The car has duel exhaust and the driver side pipe is sputtering which makes me believe that its not that, but a misfire. So if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• martykyjmartykyj Member Posts: 7
    It could be that the fuel injectors need to be cleaned or some water in the gas but you really need to have a garage look at it to at lease pin point the problem. You will end up running around it circles if you go by "he said she said" try this or try that. Some fuel injector cleaner in the gas is a cheap way to start. Don't put dry gas in the gas tank, the gas already had 10% alcohol in it.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    How many miles on your fuel filter?
  • Mercman76Mercman76 Member Posts: 3
    I wanna say like 5000+ miles maybe... I purchased the car this past May. I changed the plugs, fuel filter and gave it a oil change. I was thinking it was the plugs but in the past when a plug was fouled it would throw a code that theres a misfire. I haven't started it in a couple days due to someone saying it could be the harmonic balancer and it could take out the crank seal. I was going to change the plugs again but I'm not sure. :confuse:
  • tbird94merc99tbird94merc99 Member Posts: 1
    my car has coil overs. im not getting 12v to 4 coils. tested the wire harness. wires are fine. changed the cam shaft sensor. car is still not firing all cylinders. can this be the pcm or the crank shaft sensor.......any ideas?? please help...no money to take it to a shop :sick:
  • FreewayfilFreewayfil Member Posts: 1
    1999 grand marquis digital instrument cluster when i use the heater the speedo and odometer quit but if i dont use the heater no problem mechanic at ford dealer says possibly the instrument cluster my be defective where can i find a good used cluster ty :confuse:
This discussion has been closed.