Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Dakota Body Problems

95_Dakota_Joe95_Dakota_Joe Member Posts: 2
Have a 95 Dakota when you left the driver door latch the door doesn't open. Put in the shop and they say the plastic clip that holds the rod has completely broke up. To fix this issue they will need to remove the driver side window first. To do this they will need to drill out the pop rivets that hold the window in place. Does this sound correct?

Comments

• Options
    ronslakie1ronslakie1 Member Posts: 57
    While I have not done this repair on my Dak I have done it on other vehicles. If the window can be raised to the up position there should be no reason to remove it. If the window is up access can be gained to the area that needs to be repaired. I did not have the plastic clip to make this repair so I drilled a hole in the steel rod it fastens to and used a small cotter pin to hold it in place, never had any trouble with it after that. This is not difficult and you can probably do it yourself.
  • Options
    rdimambrdimamb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Dakota. The wheel well tubs in the truck bed have rust and I want to replace them. Does anyone have any idea where I can purchase OEM replacement wheel well tubs?
    Thanks
    Bert
  • Options
    sptimebtworkssptimebtworks Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 2006 dakota quad cab. The power window "popped" and stopped working. The electric motor runs but the cable has snapped.

Can I just replace the cable? Do I need to replace the regulator? Is the cable built in to this?

Thanks, Brent
  • Options
    srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I think you need to buy the regulator assembly, which includes the motor and the cable assembly. For my 2007 Caravan, that's around $75.00 from on-line places.

If your Dakota is like my Caravan, then the cable assembly can be removed from the motor (it bolts to the motor housing with 3 bolts). But, you would have to go to a junk yard, pull the cable assembly or entire regulator from something there, and then replace just the cable assembly. I do not think you can buy just the cable assy from Dodge or anyone else.
  • Options
    sptimebtworkssptimebtworks Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, that is what I was afraid of. At least now I know.

Again, thanks, Brent
  • Options
    skrapper69skrapper69 Member Posts: 9
    I was wondering dose anyone know of any other truck that has the same size bed dimensions as a 2002 Dodge Dakota {{Besides another Dodge Dakota}} Can anyone help me out with this problem or does anyone know?? HELP PLEASE
    THANX
  • Options
    carvermancarverman Member Posts: 101
    I had the same problem when somebody tried to break into my passenger
    door with a jimmy bar. They bent the rod and broke off the plastic clip.

I called the stealership and they wanted over $300 for the parts including
    a new lock! I decided to repair it myself. Removed the inner door panel and
    just raised the window up and I was able to get at the rod. I also drilled a
    hole in it and inserted a very thin stiff wire..or maybe it was one side of a
    thin cotter pin, but the lock works and I saved myself $300 in the process.