Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan Hybrid

Comments

• lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I did sign up for SYNC My Ride and its a pretty dead web site.

What information are you looking for from the website? I found it useful when trying to get an iPod to work (the problem was with corruption in the iPod) and also understanding that an AT&T Motorola RAZR can pull the address book and support text messages but the Sprint Motorola RAZR cannot.

Its also where they have updates for SYNC (including music libraries and what not). That is more for the hard drive, as the metadata associated with MP3 or ACC files is what the SYNC voice engine uses to listen for a song or artist name.

Honestly I can't believe it took so long for an OEM to come up with something like this. Its been 10 years since the first iPod integration when VW gave away an iPod holder that sat in the cup holder and had a cassette adapter.
  • wpwoodjrwpwoodjr Member Posts: 12
    Yes I see that I can get updates there but the user-to-user forums are dead. I can't even find the Sync manual on that site.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Who says your definition of superior is the only one?

You are absolutely correct. I did not adequately express my thought. What I should have said it was an idiotic comparrison. It is senseless to compare cars in different classes and different market targets as they have different purposes.

I think the FFH and a Lexus 450h comparison though is indeed a LONG strech for comparison purposes. Then again, the comments may save a lot of people money if they were looking at Lexus and now consider the FFH as a superior purchase decision.

But in the same strech of comparisons, my HH is superior in many ways to the FFH. It has much more flexibility in space and utility, has 4wd, reclining rear seats, even a third row! But who, from customers buying a FFH really makes that comparison? Pointless.
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I called Sync, as I was hopping to access stock prices through the system. The representative said that this feature wasn't available on a Ford product. I would trade sports scores for stock quotes. :shades:
  • bigtbigt Member Posts: 412
    Checking all dealer inventories in the DC area and the Hybrids are no where to be found! Glad I have mine. I am seeing lots of Milians but not the Hybrids.
  • davidcarusodavidcaruso Member Posts: 2
    The sound doesn't lower every time it switches to electric. I've noticed it starts when I'm in gas mode, then when I have to brake at a red light that switches to electric. It starts when the battery charge icon is showing when I'm braking until I come to a halt. As soon as I'm at a complete stop the sound goes back to normal.

When it stays in electric mode or no braking is involved the sound stays the same.

Only when it goes from gas above 50 mph to braking which switches into EV mode then until it stops completely. I'll check out the sound settings thing and see if that works.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Speed sensitive volume control is an old concept from Ford. My 97 Exploder had it, and my 01 F150 had it. It works based on the speed of the vehicle, not the drive system. I doubt Ford went to the extra trouble to modify it to reduce when the Hybrid kicks in, since they use the same system in the Non Hybrid models too.
  • hayley2hayley2 Member Posts: 44
    Since last week Wed averaging about 38 MPG - One round trip of about 60 miles on interstate going approx 65-70 MPH, averaged about 35 MPG. Some short trips city of approx 2-3 miles, even as high as 75 MPG once. Was able to keep it in EV mode most of the short trip.
    I was hoping that this vehicle would have (DRL) Daytime running lights, but evidently not equipped as I see it.
    It is a fun vehicle to drive, very good on the curves, solid car. Have driven a total of 300 miles and gas is almost at the half way mark. :):):)
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    DRLs can usually be activated by the dealer. Although I don't know why you want them. I find them annoying and don't believe they enhance safety. But that's just my opinion.
    I find they are helpful, only when it rains and the law requires the lights to be on when it rains, and the automatic lights don't come on because its not dark enough. This way you don't have to worry about turning the lights on, and forgetting that you turned them on.
    The Fusion and Milan automatically turn on the headlights when the wipers are on. Problem solved.
  • WyattNicholsWyattNichols Member Posts: 55
    hayley2,

I was wondering how you liked your car. The mpg will/should get better. I agree about the DRLs, but I'm glad to hear that the lights come on when the wipers are activated.

I'm a third-of-the-way thru a 1000 mile trip this weekend. 95+% on interstate at 70 mph. So far my mpg is 39-40 mpg, even with the A/C on and in the hills on the edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

When I was leaving town yesterday, I stopped by the dealer to get my new tag. The sales manager told me that he had 4-5 more hybrids on order, but he doesn't think he will get all of them anytime soon. He is under the impression that Ford is decreasing its output of the Fusion/Milan hybrids. He suspects that hybrids are selling (he has sold all of his and several people have come in and asked about hybrids), but other cars aren't selling well. I suspect that the gov't commitment to buy 17k+ hybrids has something to do with it.

Has anyone noticed that the oil is changed at 10K? The weight is 5w-20w. The service department told me that the oil should be synthetic or synthetic blend.

Wyatt
  • rogerinvermontrogerinvermont Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for letting us know where you were driving as well as speed, etc. I live in Vermont and I assune my FFH's mileage will be different from someone who lives in the central plains.

No long trips (nothing longer than 100 miles.) Mileage about 38-39 mpg. Mileage noticeably different going TO work (900 foot difference) than returning from work.

I dont have the manual here with me. Are you sure it is 10k between oil changes and not 5k?

Roger
    I mis-spoke (mis-wrote?) Ford recommends 7500 between changes.

(http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/SPubs/default.asp?TYPE=OWNERGUIDE&pageid- =oghome&gutsid=spubs_serv_all_new&MARKET_LANG=US-EN&YEAR=2010&VEHICLE=Fusion+Hyb- rid)

Rog
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I was able to get 60 mpg on my route to work this morning! I wasn't using the AC and the speed limit on much of the route is only 25 mph. I try to watch the EV gauge.
    Wyatt - We love the car. It involves work in progress learning the car how to best engage in EV mode and when and all the gadgets.I just checked the info a few minutes ago and currently reads total of 402 miles driven, long term mileage 39 MPG, and fuel gauge reads just below 1/2, or about 1/4 above the 1/4 mark. 216 miles to empty. As you can see, we have not refilled the gas tank yet. When you refill with fuel, do you try to top off or stop at two clicks or what? I have always topped off with my other vehicles, but this may not be an option from what I have read. Regarding the maintenance schedule, I have read the Owners Manual on Maintenance, and it does indicate service intervals of 10,000 miles which is in line with my VW Passat TDI. I bought an extended warranty (not Ford) from dealer for $1640 good for 60,000 miles or 5 years whichever occurs first. My Dealer has the Black MMH on the lot which came in about three weeks ago.

The other story which I had not revealed was I picked up the MMH on 4/29 and on 4/30 while going back to the dealer to have pin-striping put on, a young lady made a left hand turn against the light and hit my drivers side fender just in front of the rear wheel. Did not look like much damage, but estimate was $1830. Her insurance company accepted full liability (she received ticket) and Ins. Co. :) is sending check today to have repairs done. Not a good day and did not have the vehicle 24 hours. Life goes on and it is driveable. :)
    Check pages 308 & 310 of the 2010 Fusion Hybrid Owner's Guide.

7.5k sounds better and is recommended if you drive in dirty environments or heavy duty city driving.
    I agree with the 7500 miles between oil changes which I had decided would be the range I would use for our MMH. My Dealer offers when you purchase the Extended Warranty, 15 free oil changes and filters which will more than carry me thru 100,000 miles doing the 7500 mile intervals. :)
    I'm trying to break myself of going pass the initial automatic cut-off when fueling my cars. I'm not comfortable with the lack of a lock on the door and no gas cap. When I add the numbers on miles to empty and miles driven since fill-up it ranges between 650 and 675.

Check the info on the oil changes and tire rotations service package. When I bought that service, I was quoted 15 changes, etc., but the guy as thinking it would be 3k oil changes. When I when back to challenge his figures, he said for the FFhybrids it would be 7.5k, but only 8 changes with synthetic or synthetic blend oil. My FFH was the first the dealer had sold, he wasn't up on the details. I guess the hybrid Escape has a much different schedule and oil requirement. Is your dealer a AutoNation dealer?

I really like Michael Jackson's (he's the CEO of AutoNation) ideas about the auto industry and what we need to do to decrease oil consumption and our dependency on middle east oil, but I didn't like some of the "dealer required/automatic options" that go with every car sold by an AutoNation dealer, such as Nitrogen in the tires.
    The 15 Free Oil Changes are offered by the Dealer as an enhancement when you buy the extended warranty. The extended warranty does not cover fluids unless a result of failure of some other component. So I can have oil changes whenever I like, but a total of 15 and then it's over. That will last me probably for the life of the car if I keep it up to 100,000 miles. My dealer is an independent dealer, has quite a number of franchises both domestic & foreign in the state of IL. Not associated with Auto Nation. :)
    Make sure the free oil changes are good beyond the terms of the extended warranty. Otherwise you may not get all 15.

And you do understand that Ford already covers the powertrain for 5 yrs/60K miles and bumper to bumper for 3 yrs/36K miles? So that ext. warranty only adds bumper to bumper coverage outside of the powertrain for 2 years/24K miles. Seems like a lot for so little coverage.
    I have had my MHB for almost 2 months. The Lincoln dealer in MD (one of the largest) has yet to get a 2nd one of these despite folks asking. Why even show a commercial if you do not have any product to put into the lots!
    I just finished a 1032 mile trip where 85-90% was on interstate at 70 mph with rolling foothills on the edge of the Blue Ridge. Overall mpg was 36.7.

Even though I tried to drive the same thru out the trip and used cruise control most of the time, there was a significant decrease in mpg when I was getting tired, wanted to get to my destination, was engrossed in a "who done it" audio book mystery, and was very focused on poor night visibility and road conditions due to heavy rain.

I guess the computers driving during the EPA's mileage tests don't get tired, in a hurry, blinded by rain and spray from semis, or engrossed in murder mysteries.
  • And under all those conditions you are not satisfied with 37 mpg from a loaded mid-sized sedan? ;)
    A Hybrid is not like a regular car. If you drive it like a regular car, you will get the mileage that you are getting. It takes a lot of practice to eek out the MPG that a lot of Hybrid drivers are getting. When I had the Prius, I was able to get 65 MPG on the highway @ 65MPH. To do that though I had to be diligent on the road, pacing myself, constantly tweaking the fuel pedal, and getting behind an empty flatbed Semi seemed to be the biggest help. I kept a 1.5 second trail on the truck, a little closer than should be kept, but not so close as to be considered drafting. This helped greatly on the hills, and I didn't use Cruise control. In some areas I was seeing 75-80 MPG, others 40 MPG, but overall it worked itself out to 65 MPG.

By the end of the trip, my right calf was twice the size of my left one and took a few days to loosen up. That is how much the foot was moving to get the kind of mileage I saw. I can do the same in the Camry, I saw 43 MPG on the highway once, which is 10 MPG higher than the car is rated. Overall I would say you did good for a N00B Hybrid owner! :shades: Next time, try it at 65, you will see just how much a difference 5 MPH can make.
    I'm not really dissatisfied about the mpg since it is close to the EPA estimates. During the first leg of 200-220 miles the mpg was 39, so I had my hopes up, but the terrain was less hilly and I was more focused.

Actually, I'm amazed at the mpg around town. I can keep my focus for short local trips, but I'm not really a hypermiler.
    I just finished a 1032 mile trip where 85-90% was on interstate at 70 mph with rolling foothills on the edge of the Blue Ridge. Overall mpg was 36.7.

Isn't the EPA rating 36 mpg for highway driving? Seems like you exceeded (EPA's)expectations.

I could typically get 39 in the TCH on highway trips. Warm dry weather helps as I have seen 41 on the same trips that usually averaged the 39.

I've been watching this forum as I consider the Prius and the FFH, wondering how real world milages will work out. The TCH had a tight spread between city/highway. The FFH though with longer EV capabilities has a larger spread between the two.

It is my theory that people (like myself) that drive a lot of highway will typically average below the 41 mark on the FFH. I was able to easily surpass the EPA over 67,000 miles in the TCH by paying attention to what I was doing. But even when I "got tired" I would still average 36, which is still above the new EPA ratings. I don't think I'll see the majority of people exceeding the 41 on overall milage. Sure there will be some folks in the flat lands with mild temp's that will always do that, but in WV and hilly country with cold winters, I think if you can get close to the 40 mark overall you have an excellent car. people with 60% or more of their driving in the cities will probably see excellent results as well.

Don't worry about one trip. You probably don't have the car broke in yet, nor have the techniques as second nature yet. Your lifetime average will probably go up as you add miles. Long trips on the interstate are not what this car was designed for.

It's good that they get decent milage (better than most) on the trips, but when you add in all the pit stops, driving around once at your destination and all the misc side trips. then the milage on a long trip is pretty incredible compared to what you would have in a regualr fusion.

I took a 300 mile trip with my daughter in her ICE only 2010 Fusion last weekend. 22-31 mpg EPA I think. When I got into the car she had a 22.7mpg average from just driving around (first tank). I filled it up and reset the odometers and gages. She averaged 28.2 on the trip. All interstate, BUT she drove 81mph the whole time. I tried to get her to slow down as I was really interested in seeing what it would do. People like her that end up buying a Hybrid expecting good FE are usually the ones that are disappointed.

Enjoy the FFH, I think after you live with it for a while you will fall deeper in love :)

Bottom line is you will become spoiled. As I look around for new wheels I'm having a hard time looking at a car that gets less than 30 mpg on average. Unless you go with a small diesel or a hybrid they can't be found. Really wish the CTS had a hybrid.
    We've put about 2300 miles on our FFH. Neither my wife nor I are hypermilers, but she does complain that we drive like "little old ladies". Our experience has been:

1. The best mpg is in stop and go city traffic. 39-42 mpg is typical for her drive to work or around town. Rarely do we see anything less than 38 mpg, unless it is a short trip with a cold ICE. and

2. Except for my recent long trip, I usually get 38-39 on the hiway, as long as the terrain is no more than low rolling hills. A/C seems to cut mpg 1-2 mpg-but I'm guessing. Last weekend, I took a 50 mile sightseeing trip across severely flat rural roads at about 40-50 mph, and our mpg for the trip was 44 mpg.

From your comment about your daughter's car, it sounds like Ford has put a mpg readout/gauge in all Fusions. I believe that alone will cause people to improve their mpg.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    Am I correct that the only way to get most of the options in a FFH or MMH is in packages that require buying the sunroof? That's a no-go for me :(
  • hoyafanhoyafan Member Posts: 48
    Yes that is true. Package 501A and 502A both come with a sunroof. Why would this not work for you? If it is a headroom issue, I recommend you drive the car before deciding. Note that my 6'8" father-in-law is getting a FFH. He test drove one to make sure he fit and it was fine. Seat all the way down and slightly reclined and he is good to go.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    I've tried it, no luck. 6'5", all in my torso.
    Sorry to hear it's a no-go. BTW, I checked with my wife and my father-in-law is actually 6-6" (and especially long in the legs). Therefore it was OK for him...
    I just noticed (new) that edmonds.com is now posting inventory of the 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrids at the dealers. I assume the same applies to the Ford Fusion? :)
    Has anyone seen or purchased off the showroom (not a special order) a Fusion/Milan hybrid that was without the expensive options? The MSRP should be around $28k.

I'm under the impression that they are only producing the high end models. Is this consistent with others' experiences?
  • otisnjotisnj Member Posts: 15
    The dealers I have checked with have been getting only fully loaded cars.
    A couple in WV were $30K. They had leather, but I don't think they had the NAV.

I'm in the X-Plan and on the Ford site you can search dealer inventories if you know a zip code in the area.
    I ordered my FFH -- without options -- just before the March 31 deadline to get the $3400 tax credit (I had put into the contract the right of first refusal -- I wasnt going to buy a car without a test drive)! .

About two weeks ago the dealer got delivery of two FFHs - one with no options (but a different color from what I ordered) and one with the 501A options (in the color I wanted)

I went into the dealer and asked if I could take the 501A car for the no-options price.. We added several hundred bucks to the price to set the deal.

So he still has the no-options FFH on the lot.

He is the only Ford dealer in Vermont with a FFH. I saw a MMH on that auto dealership lot.

According to cars.com, there are a few in New Hampshire and around the Albany area, mostly with either no options or the 501A option. (Northern New Englanders are too cheap for the 502A option, although that option has heated seats!)

Rog
    By not purchasing the vehicle with the VIN you ordered does that mess up your tax credit? Technically you did not purchase the car you ordered before the deadline.
    You don't get a VIN when you order, unless you're ordering one that's already in the process of being built. The VIN doesn't get assigned to a new order for at least a couple of weeks.
    I ordered a car -- I received the car model I ordered.

Let us assume I ordered a car before the deadline. The car, while being delivered, falls off the delivery truck and is totaled. Ford sends me another one.

Does this mean my tax credit for the car I finally receive is not available?

Remember the rule: when in doubt, read the IRS rule in your favor.

Rog
    As long as it matches the signed and dated purchase agreement there should be no issues. I was pointing out that you don't order by VIN#.
  • justlooking9justlooking9 Member Posts: 21
    The FFH doesn't come with Homelink, and a dealer I'm working with in MD said there isn't even an option for HL. Would be nice for the FFH to have an option for electronic seat controls for the front passenger.
    The only issue I found when test driving a FFH was that the space around the pedals seemed very tight. I mean the top of my shoe rubbed the underside of the lower dash when going from gas to brake.

Wonder if having the battery pack integrated into the back seat effects why the back passenger side impact and rollover ratings are not 5 star.
    You can add Homelink by ordering a Visor with Homelink (works as long as your current visor has a lighted mirror) or you can add a rear view mirror with homelink. Both options are around $300. You can also buy a used visor with homelink off ebay and add it to your current visor (if you have power for a lighted vanity mirror). I did this on mine for about $50 including shipping.
    If the FFH you get has the rear camera, you have no choice but to use the visor since replacing the mirror with the Homelink version wont work, the BC display is in the mirror itself. I knew there was something besides the smart key and XM that I would miss if I got a FFH in place of the TCH.
    The FFH also doesn't have a locking fuel door (or a gas cap).
    Just a shout-out to Ford: While Chrysler and GM are both a mess (reference the dealer reductions announced yesterday and today), Ford has a plan and is delivering new vehicles like the FFH.

Well done Ford! You will be rewarded when it comes time to purchase a new car!
    Who would have thought this would be happening 2 years ago?
    I ordered a FFH from a dealer before April 1, hoping to get the $3400 tax credit. Reading through the IRS i8910.pdf (form 8910 used for tax credit), found that if you owe AMT on your federal tax return, then your allowable credit will be zero. In my circumstance, I would not be eligible for a tax credit on any alternative fuel vehicle.
    I self-detailed my Tuxedo Black Mercury Milian HB and folks took notice. Everywhere I get comments. When I show the 20 year old crowd all the gadgets they go wild. I noticed also they are more into and aware of the carbon footprint issue and think having a Hybrid is responsible. They also like the fact that this hybrid looks like a real car. I see a whole new set of customers coming down the pike for Ford if they just keep up the fire. Still I wonder why they cannot just build these cars here in America. I was just in France and in their stores almost everything is made in France even if it costs more. The French do not mine that if their companies and workers are getting the bucks. Just a thought.