Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan Hybrid

Comments

• jeff_hjeff_h Member Posts: 20
    As soon as a hybrid rolls off the truck its sold.

I think that depends on where you are, my dealer in central VA has 4 on the lot, I think 2 are cloth and 2 are leather. I don't know if you are close by, but my salesman has told me that he will sell any of these for $1,000 under MSRP which is a good price but not as good as others I've seen.
  • wpwoodjrwpwoodjr Member Posts: 12
    I've done a comparison of the 2010 Prius to the Ford Fusion Hybrid here at this link.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Nice review, I could not agree more. I owned a 2007 Prius for 10 months and 24,000 miles. Spot on with everything you mentioned, with the exception of the center console, I guess that was one of the major redesigns, the 2007 - 09 models had an open front floor area, which gave it a sense of more room than it actually had. Materials not only looked cheap, they are cheap, easily scratched, if you used any kind of protectant like armor all, it would dull up quickly and outgas all over the windshield, and because the windshield is so deep, it was a bugger to clean. I now have a 2009 Camry Hybrid, which I would love to trade on a 2010 FFH, but I don't have enough to put down to equal the current monthly payment. The Camry is a big improvement over the Prius, even though there is less cargo room, there is more passenger room, and front leg room, one of my biggest beefs on the Prius. The JBL system in the Camry is actually very good, very nice bass and treble, and even a decent mid range. Not as good as what I have in my Veracruz, but still much better than any other stock sound system I have had before. I think the only thing the Prius has over the Ford is the better fuel economy, but even still, if driven right, the Fusion can probably get what the Prius is rate at, at least my Camry is close to what the Fusion is rated at, I'm getting over 38 MPG mixed driving, and if I get on the highway I can get close to 50 MPG with some careful driving, over 40 in the city if the lights are in my favor. Currently I have too many stops and turns on my daily drive to get closer to 41 MPG, but when I don't have to drop the kids off, I easily see 41. The car is rated 34 MPG, so I say it does quite well.

With that said, I am waiting before plunging into the Fusion, first so I am not rolling over any negative equity(hopefully there is positive), and second waiting until there are a few out there with 20K+ on the clock and some history. With any luck there may even be some incentives on them once the tax credit is gone. I would rather have low interest financing than a small tax credit.
  • WyattNicholsWyattNichols Member Posts: 55
    Prior to the recent heat wave in the south, I was getting about 39 mpg for the last 2000 miles, according to the car's meter; a little less (37.7) according to my calculations of gas bought verses miles driven. During this last tank of gas, my mpg dropped 5.5 mpg due to the daily temps at or above 100.

The electrical drain on the system when you run the A/C when it is 120F inside and 100F+ outside is significant; even when you roll down the windows for a few minutes ("but it blows my hair!") to get the inside temp down to 100F. Psychologically, when I'm experiencing this type of heat, I've found that I'm not as patient with coasting and accelerating real slowly.

For the last (first) 10 tanks of gas, at fill-up the estimated miles that could be driven on that tank (based on the mpg for the last 500 miles;I think) was 650 to 690 miles per tank. When I filled up this evening, the estimated miles was 600 miles for that tank.

When it cool down this evening to 88F, I ran errands for 25 miles of city driving, without A/C with windows down, and got about 50 mpg. So, I know the car is still working properly, it's just the heat.
  • bigtbigt Member Posts: 412
    Whew, am I glad to be back home. Spent a week in Orlando and rented a Chrysler Sebring convertible. It was way to hot to put the top down (but I did anyway). But what a piece of junk the Sebring is. :lemon:

My Milian HB beat the crap out of it in plain old acceleration. With the Sebring I put my foot all the way to the floor and it barely moved. The 190 hp in the Milian takes off much better. Perhaps it is the torque ratio or something. Also the Sebring just drunk gas and I guess I am just plain old spoiled now. I don't even think about going to the gas station now. I think that I go about 2 times a month at the most now.

Boy do I love my Milian Hybrid! :shades:
    OHBOYHOWDY, you got that right. Last week I dropped 3 MPG due to the heat. Too hot and too cold affect all the hybrids. The Prius and the Camry both suffer when it is below 30 and above 80. This morning the temps were in the 60's, and its back to 40 MPG.
  • jbrynerjbryner Member Posts: 3
    I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Ford Fusion Hybrid or a Mercury Milan Hybrid and I'm obviously looking for the best deal possible. Thanks to a posting I read on this site, I found a dealer in Richmond, VA that is advertising the Fusion Hybrid at $1,000 below MSRP. Does anyone know of an advertised discount better than that?

I live in West Chester, PA and I'm definitely willing to travel to Richmond, VA or beyond to save $1,000 if my local dealer will not match the price.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    When it is that hot out does the air cool down the car to say 72 like my wifes Caddy does? Also are you driving the Ford Hybrid?
    That was me that posted the other note, but you can also go to my local dealer, he will also give $1,000 under MSRP and currently has 4 on the lot. Plus, I am an hour north of Richmond so you save some driving. :)

Go to my profile area and send me an email (on bottom of profile) if you want to coordinate more, I'll be glad to help out.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    My FFH has kept us cool in Dallas when the outside temps were over 100. That was one of my concerns when hybrids first came out, but now that the a/c is electrical it works just fine under any condition. It will affect the mpg since the engine has to run more to charge the battery - not run the a/c.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Mind if I ask which dealer you used? I'm considering the FFH, live in Dallas. Any comments on them (leaving out the salesperson's name, of course)?
    I ordered my FFH from Pacifico in Newtown Square for $500 over invoice - cost me $30,120 before PA taxes for the 502a package. You better get down there today though if open allocation is over at the end of June as some are saying!
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Prior to the recent heat wave in the south, I was getting about 39 mpg for the last 2000 miles, according to the car's meter; a little less (37.7) according to my calculations of gas bought verses miles driven. During this last tank of gas, my mpg dropped 5.5 mpg due to the daily temps at or above 100.

The electrical drain on the system when you run the A/C when it is 120F inside and 100F+ outside is significant; even when you roll down the windows for a few minutes ("but it blows my hair!") to get the inside temp down to 100F. Psychologically, when I'm experiencing this type of heat, I've found that I'm not as patient with coasting and accelerating real slowly. "

I own a 2008 FEH, which uses the same Ford hybrid drive system. At temperatures above approximately 97F, the FEH increases the engine RPM by about 600, leading to lower gas mileage. This behavior has been confirmed in the 2009 FEH as well. It only happens when the A/C compressor is on - so an easy way to tell is to drive normally and then deactivate the A/C; if the RPM goes down by 600 or so, then the FFH has the same behavior as the FEH.

I'm wondering if you noticed - was your RPM higher when the A/C is used at higher outside temperatures?

I have read that the FFH uses electric A/C compressors, so I'm interested to find out if it also has this characteristic...
    I bought it from Westway Ford since they were willing to sell it to me for the A-Plan price plus give me a good trade-in value for my 2007 Lincoln MKZ. In general I did not like dealing with them. I consider them an old fashion dealer where everything goes thru the sales and finance mgrs so it takes forever to close the deal although I knew the car I wanted, didn't want a test drive and had my own financing. They are a volume dealer so their pricing is good. The dealers in DFW seem to have an adequate supply of hybrids so look around for the one you want and the best deal. Good Luck - let me know how it turns out.
    No, the ICE isn't even on sometimes when the AC is on. The AC draw on power seems to be treated just like a draw on power from moving the car. Once the battery is low, you go over 47 mph, or the AC draw plus moving the car draw equals a certain threshold, the ICE comes on.
  • jbrynerjbryner Member Posts: 3
    I was actually able to negotiate a price of $30,215 for the 502a package today with my local dealer. Thanks to everyone on this site for posting how much they paid and where they were able to get deals from, it definitely helped me negotiate a lower price.
    Just got back from a short trip with the wifes Caddy STS w/nav. We wanted to go to a close restaurant and punched in Restaurants in the Nav and it asked what type we wanted. We chose All but it wouldn't list out any unless we put in a name. How can we put in a name when we are in a strange town when I don't know what the names are. Anyway for those of you with the FFH and Nav. how does it work. My Garmin starts with the nearest Restaurant and goes from there.
    Their value rating bugs me. They underestimate the value of the Fusion greatly. First is the comparison against the base model Fusion being $8k, when it is actually less when you put the options that are standard on the Hybrid into the base. Second is the fact that nearly everyone who says you will never make up the premium in gas savings fails to realize the fact that the premium cost carries over when they sell the car. Its like a diesel truck compared to a gas truck, same make, model, year, mileage truck gas vs diesel, you will see the diesel always has a higher resell value, nearly equal to the up front cost paid for the diesel option.

For a better more direct cost comparison, lets take a new Camry SE verse Hybrid. The SE is the closest in comparison to what comes in the base Hybrid.

SE 27,008
    Hybrid 28,363
    Roughly a $1300 "Premium"

These are built with near identical options through their website.

Now used values for 2009 models.

SE ~ 20-21K
    Hybrid ~24-25K

Lets now see depreciation,
    SE $27,008 - $21,000 = $6,008
    Hybrid $28,363 - $24,000 = $ 4,363

Nearly a $2000 difference, the SE now has cost you more than the $1300 Premium.

I took the low end for the Hybrid since they vary so much, and there are more UP models than base.

From what I have seen in used car prices so far, depreciation on the hybrids is actually less than the non hybrid models, so that pretty much proves that the hybrid does pay off in the long run in both gas savings and resale value, unless of course you are hard on the car and don't take care of it.

The above numbers are off the Edmunds used car listings, and not made up numbers, just an average of what is available in my area. The new car prices are right off the Toyota website in the build your own area. Hybrid base, only options are the floor mats, the SE the JBL option package that brings the SE up to the same basic components that are standard in the Hybrid, plus floor mats.

I paid $28,500 total for my 2009 TCH, $500 down financed $28K. I can turn around and sell for roughly $24K. I would say that's a pretty good deal considering I owe less than that on the loan. If it were not a hybrid, I would be upside down on the loan.
    Did you buy at Pacifico?
    Steve,

I've been out of town since my post, so it has taken this long to get back with you.

I agree with the response from dmatthews.

The a/c compressor in the FFH is electric.

Even though you can get a read-out of everything else, I don't think we can get a pure RPM read-out of the ICE in the FFH. We do get a "relative" read-out of power output of the ICE (and electric motor), but it doesn't appear accurate enough to know the actual RPM.

No, unfortunately I'm not the primary driver of our FFH.
    You can program the dash display to show RPM's for the ICE, There are four display modes and several show RPMs. Use the buttons on the bottom left side of the steering wheel to change the display.
  • amcarseekeramcarseeker Member Posts: 4
    Apple Ford?? You must be kidding! I just visited this dealership which had picked up a Lincoln-Mercury franchise after Miller Brothers Ford suddenly dropped dead.
    Apple's inventory amounted to a pathetic 3 or 4 Mercury cars/SUVs. They had ZERO Milans (HB or otherwise). Apparently didn't seem to care.

One of their reps stated that they had had 1 (as in ONE) Milan HB since its release. Wasn't really expecting any. Had not ordered any for stock. What kind of a dealer is this?

I thought that this was just negligence on Apple Ford's part, but no, it turned out that in the whole Greater Baltimore/DC corridor, there was only 1 (as in ONE) Milan HB and that was at Safford as a Used (excuse me, "pre-owned") car.

Meanwhile, Mercury is HEAVILY ADVERTISING that precise car model on TV and on many web sites. To get buyer interest, I suppose. But then they have NO cars!

How can an American manufacturer compete with Toyota or Honda (or fill-in the blank_______ ) by advertising cars that they cannot provide!

We have been Mercury owners for the last 20 years. We wanted a Mercury Milan HB. But too bad for us. Too bad for other Mercury customers. Too bad for the Mercury Division. Great news for Toyota, Honda, et al ("Don't worry guys! Us foreign brands can take up the slack!").
    You can't blame Ford of a dealers stupidity. In Lansing, Mi. a GM town where the greater area is 79% american cars and most people depend on GM so they are the majoity there are 2 Ford dealers and one Ford/Lincoln/Merc dealer and I was there yesterday and they had a bunch of Merc Milans a HB and a couple Fusion HB's. Can't remember the last year I saw a Merc. ad on TV.
    You mentioned that Apple Ford had just picked up a L-M dealership? Apparently the car inventory didn't come with it I guess.

You noted that Mercury is heavily advertising, but I don't see much stock in online inventories... but I do see plenty of Fusion hybrids around in that area.

I'm not advocating for Apple Ford other than mentioning that I bought from them once before... I did not buy from them this time because another dealer closer to me beat their price. If they really are inept as you say, I guess they might not have a L-M dealership for long, who knows?
  • amcarseekeramcarseeker Member Posts: 4
    Pop-ups" and "drop-downs" ads for the Mecury Milan Hybrid show up regularly (all the time?) on the internet auto sites.
    As for TV ads, I have seen them as late as a couple of days ago on the various cable news networks and I assume that they are on other networks. Good ads by the way, but where are the cars??!! Maybe they are plentiful outside of the Mid-Atlantic area, I don't know.

As for Apple Ford-Lincoln-Mercury, their lots are packed with vehicles. A lot of trucks, alot of SUVs, and some Fords (including a $50K-plus Shelby Mustang) and a few Lincolns. But very few, if any, Mercurys. I hope they sell them all, but carrying a representative inventory of Mercurys would be nice, also..

As I said, other F-L-M dealers in the Baltimore Washington corridor also have very few Milans (mostly 4 cyl).

But if this is the case, nationwide, then I am puzzled by FoMoCo's behavior. I hope that Mercury is not being phased out like Oldsmobile was , and now Pontiac.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    But if this is the case, nationwide, then I am puzzled by FoMoCo's behavior. I hope that Mercury is not being phased out like Oldsmobile was , and now Pontiac.

The priority for Ford right now is Ford, Lincoln, then Mercury. They are still in the process of getting the Ford brand where they want it - the new Fiesta, Transit Connect and Explorer plus the new Focus should just about finish phase 1. Then it's on to Lincoln. Mercury will no longer be badge engineered Fords - they'll either be unique vehicles not offered by Ford or Lincoln or they'll go away like Oldsmobile. Ford hasn't decided - they're just waiting to see what happens with Ford, Lincoln and the market. The only reason Mercury exists today is to add volume to the Lincoln/Mercury dealers. The plan is for Lincoln to stand on its own (or be combined with Ford). That leaves a lot of options open for Mercury but it's not the priority right now.

You also have to consider that Hermosillo is production constrained and cannot produce more than 300,000 or so vehicles - that includes the Fusion, Milan and MKZ. If you consider they also export vehicles to Latin and South America, that means they can't support more than 20k-24K vehicles per month. Fusion is the volume model and they seem to be pricing MKZ to be high profit/lower volume. That leaves Mercury with a very small slice of the pie and as I said before - it's not the priority.
  • bigtbigt Member Posts: 412
    You are starting to scare me about my purchase of the Milian HB! Well I will enjoy it for the time being.
    Why would you be scared? Won't affect current buyers. You have a Ford Motor Company product - support isn't going away.
  • boatman8boatman8 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased 2010 White FFH April 30. Selling.

Vehicle is fully loaded with all features including Nav, Sync System, Sunroom, Leather. Vehicle has 4200 miles.

Do not have any pics but I think you all know what they look like. Not a single scratch, blemish or otherwise. Wonderful vehicle but just decided to go in a different direction.

Would sell at 27K. Anyone interested?
    What is included in the sunroom? Lazyboys, TV, couch, end tables what? :P
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    What is included in the sunroom? Lazyboys, TV, couch, end tables what?

I would assume given Ford's green seating materials, it would be wicker furniture and reclaimed cotton stuffing.
    I got a chance this morning to drive a FHB with the navagation package (502a) and was it great. A very sharp clear and high quality display, 8 inches I believe. While on the nav screen it also gives the time in the top right corner with the direction to the left of that. ON the bottom of the screen it displays the driver and pass. temps and on the right bottom it had in this case the Sirius display with channel in info. What I was really interested in was how it did the POI's. As I posted in earlier post wife's car with built in Nav (Caddy STS) didn't perform this well. Anyway I touched the POI button and it gave me list of types of POI's. I chose Restuarants and there was a edit button beside that so you could if you wanted to choose types of eating places like american, chinese, etc. I left it on all and it gave me new page with a list of every restuarant from closest to farther away. It also would let me change from distance to alphabatical. What was really nice was it seemed to be very user friendly as I could play with it and do whatever I wanted to do without even reading the book. Of course owning a Garman and the wife's car having a Nav unit they all seem to be basically the same with their own small changes. I'm very happy with it and it will be on our new Fusion Hybrid when we buy this winter after her lease ends. Since she is planning on retiring after school ends next June we are planning on buying this for long term.
  • fazworldfazworld Member Posts: 5
    What are people's thoughts on leasing the Fusion Hybrid? I am currently leasing a 07 BMW 335i and have a very good deal ($45k sales price, $557/month, 15k year), but from my initial research, I doubt I would be able to get as good a deal on the Ford. If I could get a good lease deal, then that would make my decision easier. Part of the problem is that I'm sure the electric and hybrid market will significantly change in the next 2-3 years. Although the Fusion Hybrid looks great now, I may be tempted by something newer and more technologically advanced in 3 years. I've leased my last 2 cars because I always seem to want to get the newest thing out there... yes, at the expense of my wallet, but that's the price I'm willing to pay. So does anyone know of any good lease deals in the DC metro area? Is it worth leasing a hybrid when you won't have time to get the payback with the fuel savings? There is a 'fun factor' involved in the hybrid, so that's a component of the equation, but I wanted to hear what people think.
    You can also just hit the button and say "I'm hungry". :)
  • cocopupucocopupu Member Posts: 7
    I have been shopping for a Fusion Hybrid as well but.. if I could afford what you can afford , I would go with the BMW 335d (diesel). I think BMW gives trade in credit of some sort for their lease backs too.
    OOOOH Excellent news! If anyone here has not done so, compare a Fusion to a Camry. I own a 09 Camry Hybrid, the Fusion blows it away.
    Wow, thank you for being so honest. Takes a lot of guts though the Camry is also a fine vehicle.
    Its OK, but I expected a bit more in the quality department for it being a Toyota. I also own a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz, and the Camry interior materials are pretty shabby compared to the Hyundai. I used to be a mechanic back in the early to mid 90's when the first Hyundais were out. I never thought I would be praising a Hyundai, or even own one.

I guess considering all the hype of how well a Camry is, with the high rankings, and so many of them sold, I expected more than what is actually is. It is a good car, don't get me wrong, but after just sitting in the Fusion, and how well its laid out, how well everything fit together, and most important, how comfortable it was to sit in, my Camry just seems like less of a car. I noticed today, after 29400 miles the dash has a vibration, and I am hearing one from the head liner as well. I don't know what it is yet, but its was surely annoying to hear, so I cranked up the radio.

Curious to see how well the Fusion fares after the first model year has been out 12 months.
    You didn't say the dash was a squeak but I believe there is a fix for the squeak and may fit your car and it and is quite common on the Newer Camrys.
    About a month ago, I was complaining about how much our FFH mpg decreased when the temperatures were over 95F, really 100F+, for more than a week. In the last 10 days the daily highs have dropped to 85-93F and our mpg has gone back to where it was.

Also, I found out my wife was placing the climate control on 60F at that time. I figured this out when she was bragging on how efficient the A/C is, even on 100F+ days. Recently she leaves it on 70-73F and she is reporting 43-45 mpg on city trips.
  • milanhb2010milanhb2010 Member Posts: 2
    the one milan hybrid that apple ford delivered was to me, that was back end of May, it has been an excellent car, I didnt like the original wheels so I had them put some black 18s with the chrome rim and dark tint on a black milan. Its a pretty sharp looking hybrid thats for sure, and I usually get around 41-42mpg average in town, as long as i don't have a heavy foot that day (which if i do i usually get around 36mpg). I have almost 6k miles on it and everything is going perfect with it.
    So am I right in assuming that the wheels on the Ford Hybrids aren't a special wheel as if wife buys one thats the first thing to go.
    Just make sure the new wheels are compatible with the tire pressure sensor system.
  • milanhb2010milanhb2010 Member Posts: 2
    I just had the wheels ordered and installed by the dealership, the wheels arent significant, just order a type you like with the right size and bolt pattern and they will remove all the sensors from the factory wheels and put them in your new wheels without any problems with warrenty. They can help you figure it out if you want them just ask. They weren't a bad deal either black tsw 18" jarama wheels and tires for $1600 with sensors installation and everything it really makes the car look sharp.
    I was in my local Chevy Dealer and he says he can send out wheels and have them chrome powder coated. He had some on a Tahoe sitting outside. His price iis supposedly $995 on the vehicle. I'd say way high as I could buy new wheels for that price. Anyway anyone heard of this and do they think it is a long lasting process. He claims it is actually better than aftermarket as they don't rust or it come off.
    I haven't seen the chrome powder coat, but here's a discussion of it -
    chrome powdercoat
    thanks for the link. I was hoping for more real world experiences but maybe it is just to new.