Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• onlyagirlonlyagirl Member Posts: 45
    I am thinking about buying a 4-Runner and I want White.......when I "build" my vehicle on the Toyota site the white comes up as an option......(v6 limited 2wd).......but when I've searhed for one there is not one out there......does anyone know if the white exterior is only available on certain models or in certain regions? And also are the no-cladding vehicles out there yet? Most of the dealers around here only have cladded ones or gray cladding......
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Well, I just bought my new 4Runner (Jared, you and I were shopping at the same time I think). I've been looking for some time. I will pick it up in the next day or two. Right now, I'm still a little apprehensive about the purchase, but it was a fantastic deal at $27,000 on a MSRP of $31,300. I'm sure I'll love it once I pick it up. It has the cladding, but I don't mind since I'll be doing some off-road trips (and I like the $750 incentive). More than anything I wanted the reliability of a Toyota - I hope it won't dissappoint in that regard. Thanks to all that helped me research the vehicle, your posts were very helpful. I'll provide a report after driving it for a week or so.
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    Didn't think the limited models came in white and just checked the brochure. It's slightly confusing in one spot, but indicates that white is not one of the choices for the limiteds.

Since they're no longer producing the cladding-equipped models and don't currently make the color-matched trim pieces in white, it looks like they won't be producing any more in white of any 4Runner model.

Alternatively, they could start producing the trim pieces in white and make the color available for any or all models. Can't see a reason why not.

So if you want a limited you may have to do choose another color or (maybe) wait. If an SR5 (but not sport) model will work for you, you can probably get a pretty good deal on a white one with gray cladding right now. Seems that dealers are wanting to clear out the ones with the cladding.

I've seen a number of the "no cladding" (appearance package AP) units around here, but they're still very much the minority. I've wondered if some dealers are keeping the ones with the appearance package out of prominent view to avoid making the cladding-equipped ones harder to sell.
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    I am not in any big hurry so I'll see what happens over the next few months......the car I have now ( Merc E320) will be out of warranty by Oct and I am not too interested in owning it without warranty......had a Toyota before getting a '98 ML320.( a disaster).....so I think I want to go back to Toyota....I think I'll look again at the Highlander but I like the more rugged looks of the 4-Runner.....except I am not a fan of the gray cladding.....my niece has one , Galactic Gray , and I want mine to look different from hers......we'll see......I could go with the Titanium but it doesn't seem to be out there much either......
  • delguydelguy Member Posts: 43
    I don't know about the white, but I know there aren't many v6 2WD out there because that's what I started looking at.
    Yes, I noticed that also......I've been going back and forth on trying to go ahead and get the v6 4wd or v8 2wd......the gas milage in all of them looks to be very similar....at least on paper....not sure what the real world figures are....my brother and brother in law think it's very silly to get a 2wd suv......they have plans for it I think.. :)
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    Quick question concerning the info you gave to morry, will that set up for the door locks work on a 2002 Limited?? I asked awhile back,but, got no response...
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    The 2003 Limited only comes in 6 colors currently. Black, Pacific Blue, Stratospheric Mica, Galactic Gray, Dorado Gold, or Titanium Silver. I'd be surprised if they changed this before '04, if they haven't made the change with the latest batch of mid-year changes.

Personally, I've always wondered about the point of having a 2wd SUV, too....but then again I've never owned a 2wd car or truck, it's been all Subarus, Audi, and Toyotas...

As far as the door locks on a 2002, I have no idea. With the redesign for 2003, I really don't know if they'll work the same way at all. The best thing would probably be to consult your owners manual. I've never been in a '02 myself. Last time I drove one of the 3rd Generation 4Runners was when I test drove a '97.
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    I don't have a limited '02, so I couldn't tell you. I would suggest looking in your manual. That's where it was on the '03.

-J
  • kings_in_7kings_in_7 Member Posts: 10
    Co -

Are you sure about the statement that they will not be producing any cladding-equipped models? For one, they still show it as standard on a SR5 base model on Toyota.com.

And secondly, and most importantly, would Toyota do this and risk a customer relations hit with regards to the people that have already purchased these models? Granted, we knew we were getting a lower price for doing so. But I don't think many people would have purchased a style that was to be obsolete within a year (thus a major re-sale value hit). And my guess is that maybe people at dealerships knew, but didn't tell, which makes things worse. This seems like a bad move on Toyota's part.

Sorry to keep bringing it up, but...come on. Thanks.
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    Thanks for the info...I have checked the owners manual and it does not mention a thing about programming door locks. The only thing that it mentions is the VIP 2300 alarm that comes optional for the models that don't have the standard security features...I will check with the dealer...
    Kings_in_7, I am not sure that the cladding is no longer being produced. However that is the implication and substance of a couple of the reports, if I read them right. I wish one could reliably assume that company websites (like toyota.com) are perfectly up-to-date, but that isn't always the case. Also, the folks at Toyota could change their minds at any point. We've seen several changes already, since the introduction of this new generation 4Runner.

I won't attempt to read the mind of the factory or Toyota Motor Sales, but I don't think it's speculating much to assume that Toyota is not overjoyed about how this whole launch has gone, and some of the problems haven't been their doing. They can't turn their strategy and their inventory and their production processes on a dime, and so they've had some challenges in responding to market/taste conditions that were different than their assumptions during development and intro planning.

I haven't been tracking prices, but I heard that the new generation 4Runners are priced about the same as the previous generation, despite being larger, more powerful, and better equipped in terms of both driveline and interior features. Aside from the occasional problem with bad smells from the V8 models, they've received great reviews.

But I'll bet Toyota was not really expecting the generally poor reaction to the stronger cladding statement, and not expecting the price cutting (rebates and discounting) on the parts of competitors, mostly domestic. Around here right now, you can buy the entry model Explorer (XLS) for about $6000-7000 less than the entry model (SR5) 4Runner. Alternatively, for the same dollars as the SR5, you can buy an Eddie Bauer Explorer or even an Eddie Bauer Expedition. Yeah, they're apples and oranges to some degree, but these are big dollar differences and they influence the market.

So Toyota has taken incremental steps to address the situation as they see it, and sometimes such incremental steps (while a benefit to prospective buyers) don't feel to fair to previous buyers because the whole situation didn't turn out as they had planned and they couldn't maintain their original structure.

It's hard to predict the resale situation--it could be that cladding will be more in style then, or that the cladding will keep them better looking in the world of parking lots and scratchy brush. I'm not betting that way, though.

As for what dealers knew, I've had salesmen lie to me "There is no appearance package, you're just confusing this with the limited versions and their painted cladding." I've also had salesmen be very up-front "If you don't like the gray cladding, there is an option coming that will look just like the limited." Good folks and bad folks in the business, as always, and the buyer must rely on themselves, with whatever incomplete information they can put together.

For prospective buyers like me, I think that discussion forums like this are the best resource we have.
  • mrshenry2002mrshenry2002 Member Posts: 15
    I didn't even consider buying 4wd ! My previous was a 93 2wd which was fine for what I needed. I live in the south so I never have to drive in snow. Also, I never hauled a boat/trailer/motor home with the 93 & don't plan to do so with the 03. Some of us just like the convenience of the SUV...for hauling gardening stuff & such.

Has anyone noticed how easy it is to scratch the bumper on the limited? It's almost like toyota didn't put much paint on them ! I have all kinds of marks already...some made by barely tapping something with it. The reason I bought the limited was because I hated the look of the cladding on the SR5...hope I don't regret the decision !
    Here in Denver, 4runners don't seem to be having any sales problems. Last Friday evening at about 7:30 I talked to my salesman and he had 4 SR5's the way I wanted it equipped. I showed up at the dealer on Saturday morning and was told all 4 were already sold! Busiest dealer I've ever seen. It's hard to find a car on the lot - all trucks and SUV's.
    You said just what I was gonna say on the subject of 2WD.......I live in the South also......I don't go mudding and rarely go to the mountains...don't have a boat or 4wheeler trailer to haul..and truthfully when I do go to the mountains the roads I go on are not 4WD material...my brother and I did take my ML320 in the backcountry in Colorado....he was impressed with it's abilities...I believe he called it a "troll" and said he didn't expect it to perform as well as it did...(there was no choice on the ML it was one where the 4wd kicked in when needed or something like that)..but I do see where some people are coming from on the issue....as I said the men in my family can't understand it.......I hate to hear about the paint problems .....the cladding probably does offer some protection....hmmm, but I don't LIKE the cladding!
    We'll see........did anyone here consider the HIghlander?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    if all you need is 2WD, minivans have more space inside, as do some wagons, especially in the case of the 2nd and 3rd gen Runners. Not to mention they are way cheaper.

I have always wondered to myself why people buy 2WD truck-SUVs like 4Runner, but I have always answered myself that people just want the looks and are willing to pay extra in terms of purchase, running and maintenance costs to get them.

Now in the case of Highlander, OTOH, since it is just a light-duty vehicle good for snow and not for towing or offroad stuff, it is a lot easier to see why people would buy the FWD instead of the AWD.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

You are right about mini-vans or wagons but I don't like them plus I'm single ,not a soccer mom etc....no boat, etc to haul....and I don't mind the extra $$ for the SUV look...nor do I mind extra $$ for all the bells and whistles.....I'm a typical SUV wannnabe owner who doesn't need it at all. it will probably never see snow or mud or rugged roads.....there just isn't a car out there I am even remotely interested in......:)The Highlander looks too much like a wagon to me.....but it's growing on me......
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    The structural integrity of a 4-runner or pickup will far outlast a minivan and will be much cheaper to repair down the road. If you don't need 4wd then you don't need to pay for it up front, maintain it or repair it. Frankly, I never understood why so many people buy 4wd just to ride on the street. Must be a preference thing -both ways :)
    I never liked the look of a minivan or stationwagon and I'm married. Too soft looking ! (if that makes sense) I fell in love with the 4 runners in high school (late seventies). It took me till '97 to get one though...the high price tag. Although I don't tow anything or take off road, we have drainage problems on some of the streets I drive so I like being higher when there's water on the roads. I had to take a 91 honda thru pretty high water...VERY SCARRY ! (found out that honda builds a solid vehicle though...NEVER any water in the car !) I feel more secure in the higher SUV. All of my neighbors now own SUVs !

I did consider the highlander...but it looks tooo much like a minivan (again tooo soft looking) . I like the rugged look of the 4 runner...and the convenience of the auto back glass.

I never understood why people here bought 4WD if they had no plans to use offroad! I thought THAT was silly ! Why pay extra & have the extra maint cost for something you will never use !?

Nippononly, why do you say the SUV is more costly to run & maintain than a minivan? Do you mean the 4wd or ALL SUVs ?
    All the previous posters are right-even if you don't like or need 4WD, it makes perfect sense to still by an SUV over a minivan if that's the style you like. Value wise, the mini-van is better, but if its not your style , then a SUV is worth the $$$. There's way more to an auto than functionality - is the Land Cruiser really functionally $30k better than the 4 runner?

Corancher, your posts are informative. Thx. Although I think your 6000-7000k for a straight comparison is a bit high unless you are including financing (0% Ford vs ~4% Toyota). The invoice on both models is about 24k, and I know Ford will deal but I don't think 6-7k below invoice.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    I drive a 2WD 4Runner. I use it for camping trips, towing and carrying a lot of stuff when I need to. It may seem strange for people to buy a 2WD, but really it is more common than you think. I just looked at Atlanta's largest dealer and they had 72 2WD 4Runners and 7 4WD 4Runners or roughly 10% of the 4Runners are 4WD.

It seems to me that most people that buy 4Runners in the South come to belive the that 2WD is a solid vehicle and can make sense.

Sometimes reading a forum, people tend to think all 4Runners are 4WD. Now in states like Maine or Michigan probably 90% of 4Runners are 4WD.
    Well Kings_in_7, I had the same difficulty believing the differences could be this big. I'm not including financing, just 4Runner prices (that can be achieved with significant negotiation but aren't advertised here) compared with Explorer prices that are published in the paper by multiple dealers on multiple different units. I'm ignoring all the college graduate and lease loyalty stuff, so the prices should be real. I suspect that the dealers are probably getting some incentives from the factory, along with discounting from their MSRP and of course the factory-to-customer rebate of $3k now. If you put enough $1000+ discounts together, you'll eventually be into real money!

It would be interesting to check the ads in Denver, where I know they are (were) advertising prices on both 4Runners and Explorers.

Now I don't mean to imply that these vehicles are really comparable. Quality and drivetrain sophistication are just two big difference. But it would explain why I see so many latest-generation Explorers driving around and so few 2003 4Runners.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some people buy 4WD with no intention of driving off road thinking that the resale will be higher, and it'll sell a bit quicker.

So if you're in the market for a new or used 2WD, tell the seller that you really want a 4WD but might consider the 2WD if you get a big price break.

Steve, Host
    On my end of our block, there's one new generation Explorer and one new 4Runner (mine). There's probably an almost equal mix of a couple of the previous generation of each, too.

I believe overall the Explorer outsells the 4Runner by about 4 to 1 or 5 to 1 (or am I mistaken?), however, around here (Denver) 4Runners seem much more common with respect to Explorers than maybe elsewhere. There's also an awfully high per-capita Subaru concentration here, too. One of the reasons I wanted the 4Runner over, say, the Explorer is that it wasn't the same vehicle everyone else was driving, though that does appear to be somewhat less of a distinction around here. The other advantages mentioned were also important (sophisticated driveline, reliability, etc.)

mrshenry2002, are you sure you coveted the 4Runner in the late 70's? The 4Runner wasn't introduced until 1984....see:

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/4runner/history.html
    I saw the SR5 Appearance Package listed as color-matched cladding. Is that true, is it still the plastic but just matched, or is it painted metal? For the Limited, I'm pretty sure its full body metal with paint...
    I meant all SUVs in general. Insurance usually costs more (because of their "rugged" abilities and therefore statistical likelihood of getting into more and bigger claims).

Gas definitely costs more - that point is driven home by the 4th gen Runner, which only gets mid to high teens combined vs mid 20s for the latest Sienna, as an example.

Maintenance often costs more - consider the difference in cost between a set of tires in the passenger sizes a minivan requires, vs a set of the enormous tires the Runner and other SUVs use.

I do understand what people mean about buying a more rugged vehicle though: if you buy a truck it will be tougher and last longer through road abuse and things like that.

As far as 2WD/4WD mix, Toyota has pledged to put a lot more 2Runners out there this time than it did with previous generations, which I think is because they are aiming much more for the "soccer parent" crowd with the 4th gen (no intent to malign anyone there, no offense intended).

2nd and 3rd gens ran pretty heavily to 4WDs, with (I would guess from my own observations) at least a 75% mix of 4WDs. For the 4th gen, Toyota intends to only produce 45% 4WD.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• oneptbukoneptbuk Member Posts: 4
    Maybe 6-7k is a little high, but in Seattle, I've been shopping both and though I'm not sure about the base models, on the Ltds there is about a 4-6k difference. This past weekend Ford had all their Explorer Ltds (and Expeditions) at $7900 off MSRP on one lot, which left the price at 32k before I even said a word. Toyota on the other hand is fairly firm on the Ltds here, and $36,500 to $37,000 is about all you might get in a normal situation.

As you said Corancher, it does add to the decision making process when you can get a fully loaded Ltd Explore for the same price as a Sport 4R without upgraded audio, leather, etc....

With that being said, I'm still looking.....
    Thanks Vodgut for that bit of history on the 4 runner. I could have sworn I was still in high school when I 1st noticed them ! Oh well, I guess I'll blame it on a touch of senility :).
  • oneptbukoneptbuk Member Posts: 4
    Maybe 6-7k is a little high, but in Seattle, I've been shopping both and though I'm not sure about the base models, on the Ltds there is about a 4-6k difference. This past weekend Ford had all their Explorer Ltds (and Expeditions) at $7900 off MSRP on one lot, which left the price at 32k before I even said a word. Toyota on the other hand is fairly firm on the Ltds here, and $36,500 to $37,000 is about all you might get in a normal situation.

As you said Corancher, it does add to the decision making process when you can get a fully loaded Ltd Explore for the same price as a Sport 4R without upgraded audio, leather, etc....

With that being said, I'm still looking.....
    Now we are calling 2 wheel drive 2Runners or soccer parent vehicles. Oh well, they can't get any respect. As far as selling more 2WD now, I remember buying my 2001 in Atlanta and the mix of 90% 2WD vs. 10% 4WD was about right. I have not seen a dramatic shift in the market.

My impression is the 4Runner market is still the same. I would also expect the people up in Maine would still buy mostly 4WD. As far as the forth generation being a wimpmobile or selling higher in 2WD version, I think it still is mighty capable and I would suspect the ratio of 2WD vs. 4WD to be about the same.
    In Denver, I don't think you can find a 2WD 4Runner - would have to be a special order, and you would never sell it (at least not locally).
    "poor 2wd" lol .... It's all a matter of preference, isn't it?...and I guess I first mentioned that I am not a soccer mom...didn't mean anything by it.. :) just I know from my brother that you need lots of room to haul kids to and fro..( he buys Suburbans)...and that is probably tougher than any off road adventure..nor do I believe a 2WD SUV is a "sissy" vehicle....it's great they are available for those of us who know from the beginning 4WD is not needed... Probably I should just get a car that gets really good gas milage as I won't need this type of vehicle for off road or taking kids around......but I am in the mood for a SUV...and can't really justify it.....4wd or 2wd...:) BUT, I'm gonna get one anyway... if I can decide which one......Like mrshenry I remember when I first wanted one....it was a white/tan ( or flesh-color) Explorer ....maybe '89 or '90..... always wanted one...but for some reason the Explorer isn't on my "short" list......
    There are some advandagtes to 2WD. You have a greater load limited, your not carrying around 200 pounds worth of extra equipment, better mileage, your not carrying around 200 pounds worth of extra equipment, less up keep and/or repair and of course it is cheaper for 2WD.

Most people feel the 4Runner has to be 4WD and that is good for a lot of people. I would agree with "bmw323is" if you live in Denver get a 4WD. There are advandagtes to 4WD and I am sure both types of 4Runner owners enjoy their vehicle. I know I enjoy mine.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    I think the air needs to be cleared a bit on the whole cladding issue.

From what I can tell, ALL current generation 4runners have cladding: SR5's, SR5's with the Appearance package, Sports, and LTD's.

There are two types of cladding available from the factory: Original SR5's and Sports had the unpainted (gray) plastic cladding with the notches. SR5's with the Appearance package and LTD's have the smooth, color matched plastic cladding. All of the cladding (wheel arches) are plastic. Consequently, all of the cladding is subject to scratching when off-roading (or dealing with grocery carts et. al.). The difference is that the color matched cladding will show the scratches more than the unpainted cladding.

As far as whether or not the Appearance Package is now standard on SR5's may be more a regional thing. I was getting the oil changed on my Celica earlier this week and wandered the showroom while waiting. The SR5 they had on the showroom floor had the AP but it was not listed as on option on the spec sheet. I did find it listed under the "standard equipment" list tho. So, as far as the Gulfstates region, it appears as tho the AP is now standard on the SR5's.

Cliffy, if any of this is wrong, please set me straight.
    2Runners are "wimpmobiles" or "sissy vehicles"? I am sorry if anyone inferred that from my remarks. The Runner is a very capable vehicle either way. I was just curious to understand the reason people would pay the penalties of a more expensive and unwieldy vehicle like this if they did not need the 4WD, but the idea of it being more able to cope with daily road abuse (the roads are SO BAD in the U.S.) makes sense to me.

By the way, folks, if you go to your local dealer and see mostly 2WDs, this could quite easily be because the 4WDs are flying off the lots, while the 2WDs just pile up. I do not know this to be the case, but I do remember that 2WDs from the 3rd gen would sit around dealer lots for quite a while as well.

What I do know is that Toyota, in its original press release for the 4th gen Runner, stated the mix of 2 and 4 wheelers would be 55/45.

Car and Driver has a article that says the appearance package is now standard on the SR5. So I guess it is not a regional thing.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=30&article- _id=6614&page_number=1
    [This post got lost in the nightly database update late yesterday, so I'm resubmitting]
    Kings_in_7, I don't know what the color matched cladding (and overfenders, etc.) are actually made of. The shape of the painted stuff is different than the gray plastic. It's rounder and doesn't have the facets over the wheel arches. I knocked on the painted version material with my knuckle briefly at a dealer lot and couldn't be sure.

As I think about it more, I don't care too much. I have the instinct to prefer metal, but why? I've got both metal and plastic painted pieces on my old Toyota now, and they still look the same after years and years. Actually, plastic would probably be better in the real world of parking lot dings, etc. I'll bet the actual cladding (the big pieces on the doors, not the overfenders) is plastic. And of course the bumper pieces are, though one poster has said they scratch easily.

The 2WD vs. 4WD issue is interesting. I'll bet the proportions stay about where they are (including regional variations) despite Toyota's wishes. Nonetheless I suspect they have a point in terms of practical use, especially with their enhanced systems. If you're not doing anything significant off-road and not too much on really slick roads and you aren't towing, 2WD makes a lot of sense. With the traction control and stability control, 2WD should do a very good job for a lot of people. Then you get the benefits of a simpler, cheaper system with better mileage.

But I'd probably never buy a 2WD 4Runner. Go figure. Well, actually there's no need to figure. I'd say that onlyagirl has got many of us (and herself, I guess) pretty well pegged.
    "nippononly" I guess I was put off by the term 2Runners. You are right about buying a 2WD 4Runner has penalties such as weight or being more expensive. I wanted more space and the ability to carry more camping equipment so I guess a mini-van would be a cheaper choice. I just couldn't see myself in a mini-van going through the back woods with my canoe on top and all my camping gear. I guess it is a image thing.

http://pics.montypics.com/peter78/2002-12-13/reststop_in_newfound- land-041707.jpg
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    Did that trailing holder fit in the toyota receiver ?
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    "but I am in the mood for a SUV...and can't really justify it.....4wd or 2wd...:) BUT, I'm gonna get one anyway"

Well said! Who says everything has to be justified or for a reason? I feel if you want a SUV or sports car or whatever and you want to spend the money, then more power to you. At least you'll be happy! And who knows, once you get behind the wheel, you might suddenly become more adventuresome and start heading off-road/camping/exploring/etc.

On the other hand, if you wanted to buy a hummer h2 and commute to work everyday, that's stupid in any case, happiness only gets you so far!

-Jared
    mrshenry2002 - you probably coveted the LandCruiser. Those have been around since 1953. See:

http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/vehicles/land_cruiser/history/lan- d_cruiser_history.html

Yeah, when shopping for my 4Runner around here in Denver, the dealer said they never get any 2WD's here. I imagine it's that way with a lot of vehicles. Guess I can see why in other regions 2WD may be the cheaper, more practical choice.
    That closes the issue on the cladding. I don't feel quite as bad now because mine is unpainted, but matches the Galactic Grey very well.

Ironically (and quite unfortunately,) someone hit my car last week in the right rear and I was expecting the worst. She took out the lower rear reflector and scratched the cladding pretty badly. But I took it into the dealer and had the reflector replaced and the cladding smoothed for $200 total. Her car was thrashed on the front and door panel, which were metal. So I think the cladding on my rig went in, and then popped back out with only scratches. For all my complaining, I think it saved me a much bigger repair bill. Oh well, maybe your're right about that corancher...
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    Do you have any problems with altitude in your 4 Runner ?
     I drove a rental DC minivan up to Pike's Peak. Even floored, it was coughing, sputtering and doing about 10 mph max near the top. It was fine on the way down. They checked the brakes with IR and made me stop about 1/2 way down.
      We had a business meeting in CO Springs about 1 1/2 years ago. One of my business associates from Bloomington, IN, got a job in CO Springs, and moved his family out there not too long afterwards. He fell in love with CO on his first trip.
    No problems with altitude so far. The highest trip I've taken in the 4Runner was on US 36 between Boulder and Estes Park, that maxes out at a little over 9000 feet, I think.

Pike's Peak is 14,110 feet, so it's a little different. I've never actually driven that, only been up there on the cog wheel railway. I'll have to check into it and maybe do that this summer sometime. When Trail Ridge in Rocky Mountain National Park opens up for the summer (probably in a month or so, after they plow through the 20 feet of snow) I'll probably take it up there, too. That maxes out at about 12,300 feet or so.

I imagine with multivalve engines, they're going to breathe a bit better at altitude, and I'm betting that the DC minivan was a 2-valve/cylinder design.

I grew up here (since I was 2 and a half...). While I might consider moving at some point, the list of places I'd be willing to go instead of here is pretty short.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We've had this conversation before, but I always enjoy seeing your Newfoundland pic. And to remind you, I spent an entire month exploring the island with a canoe on top of my minivan. The horrors, LOL.

4Runner sales are way up in Canada, btw: link

Steve, Host
    Of course you can go Camping with a mini-van but did you look cool when doing it. : )

--------------------

As far as the hitch packer on the back of the 4Runner, yes it fit perfectly on the back. The bar did not hit the spare tire and the hitch packer is basically a 20" by 60" platform to carry stuff. When I took the ferry to Newfoundland it did not count as a trailer, so no extra cost. I got mine at Northern and is not the best of quality.
  • rentschlrentschl Member Posts: 69
    I had my '03 V8 through Eisenhouer tunnel here in CO (about 10,900 ft.) and on the fairly steep climb up (East and West-bound) I had plenty of power. Going up the East side I was doing between 85 and 90 mph and still had good accelleration.

What a pleasure to drive!

-Eric
  • chesterzchesterz Member Posts: 11
    I picked up my new 4 Runner Limited V-8 AWD last week. I am loving every day with it. I live in Santa Fe, NM and we are at 7,000 ft. I pass through the Sangre de Christo range on my way to work. I have not noticed the altitude has affected the vehicle in any way. Will be taking it to Las Vegas next, so I should get a true feel for mileage on the highway.
  • javie109javie109 Member Posts: 5
    chesterz,
    I wonder if your driver seat is also creaking? I had mine brought to the shop twice already but it is still doing it although it is much less than it used to. The service tech told me it will just go away. Does your Limited has X-REAS and air suspension? I wonder if you are not feeling any thuds (like from springs) down there randomly especially after you stop or when you release the brake pedal to move forward? It also happens to mine occasionally after I start the engine. I could not get a straight answer from the service department. Sorry to bother you, I just read that you have one similar to mine.

Thanks in advance!