Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    Perhaps I can be the first one to post a giggle over this typo. I'll bet hotelseven means 13.5L/100km, unless his 4Runner is powered by 4 big turbofans and travels at 600 MPH.

Galileo757, there are several posts in this thread that deal with the use of regular fuel, including one or two of mine. Briefly, it's ok to use lower octane grades, as the engine has a knock sensor and adapts. You won't get lower mileage, just lower peak horsepower. In fact, you should get slightly better mileage on lower octane fuel.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "13.5 km/100L of fuel"

You crazy canadians.......8^)
    I hate it when I get interrupted in the middle of a post and somebody beats me to it; I was figuring somewhere around 3 gallons to the mile. Sounds like M1A1 territory...
  • rentschlrentschl Member Posts: 69
    I don't have any experience with superchargers but I do remember some talk about a "knock" problem with the TRD superchargers in the past. A third party company was offering a box that changed the spark timing to eliminate this problem.

It is kind of odd that the TRD website doesn't have the 4.7L supercharger on it even though TRD makes it. I did see it on www.trdsportparts.com for $4,699.

It looks like there's a different part number depending on WHICH specific 4.7L V8 vehicle you have (4Runner, Sequia or Tundra) and in some cases which year (Tundra).

The site www.partznet.com/toyota/tundra/supercharger.html has a lower price for the Tundra supercharger.

-Eric
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    My friend is on the market for a new SUV and he is leaning toward 4Runner (other options are Pilot and Pathfinder). What he can't figure out is how 4wd system works on 4Runner. I though I would be able to figure it out myself as I know how it works on my Rodeo but it looks like I am clueless as well.
    What we were able to dig out from the specs is that V6 4Runners (that's what he is looking at) got "mufti-mode part and full-time 4WD). Also, it looks like that all 4Runners have "ABS & Driveline traction control" which I'm not sure have any connection to 4WD system.

Judging from what Isuzu uses, I got an impression that part and full-time 4WD is analogical to Isuzu's "Torque on Demand" where you have an option of using 2WD, All-time 4WD and part time 4WD. The difference in Isuzus was that when using "all-time 4WD" you were not required to be on wet/slippery road. When you manually engaged 4WD (on Isuzus) you had to be on wet/slippery road. Is it the case with 4Runners as well or Toyota meant something else? Also, do 4Runners also offer 4WD-Low? Is it used only with manually engaged 4WD? Any additional comments/suggestions/"for dummies explanations" will be appreciated. :-)
  • Galileo757Galileo757 Member Posts: 37
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for the speedy replies, I did not mean to start another same topic msg thread that has already been hashed out. Premium unleaded gasoline here where I live is .20 US cents more then regular, maybe a compromise with mid-grade 89 octane. Good to know the V6 can use low end octane gas and higher than 91 octane racing or avgas...lol Computer and knock sensor for timing adjustment, wow technology is wonderful.
  • chesterzchesterz Member Posts: 11
    Just got a new 4 Runner Limited three weeks ago.

I had posted earlier.

Ran it on a quick trip from Santa Fe to Las Vegas, NV, could not have had a better experience with a vehicle. V8 decent mileage of 21-22 MPG, using midrange gas. Owner's Manual calls for at least 87 Octane, but suggest 91+ for better performance.

I have no squeaks, rattles, thumps, or rotten egg smell.

I have a first class truck, which is what I wanted.
  • kings_in_7kings_in_7 Member Posts: 10
    Can anyone comment on the stiffness of the 4Runner suspension as compared to other similar SUVs? I mean the standard suspension, and just the general bumpiness on straight roads. I drove a Honda Accord before my 4Runner, and sometimes I feel like I'm tossing a salad in my new truck. Only if there are bumps in the road, of course. Its not too bad though-I'm just curious, compared to the likes of a Montero, Trailblazer, Explorer, etc, if anyone has ridden in those + a 4Runner.

Thx.
  • hotelsevenhotelseven Member Posts: 33
    Can anyone suggest an after-market GPS system that could be attached to the 4 Runner? I'm not looking to spend huge dollars but I would like a colour screen, and perhaps something that is portable....Any suggestions?
  • skewerskewer Member Posts: 1
    I have the V8 03 Sport and discovered something this past week. When driving 45-70 and put the petal down with either of the following, window down, moon-roof open or back window cracked I get the exhaust egg smell in side the truck. Called Toyota and thier are cases that have been documented and many complaints.
    At the present time Toyota does not have a fix for this. If you see where the exhaust ends right under the bumper it makes sense. Poor design. Some suggestions were given to me were get an extention that points down or have a muffler shop bring it out the side. I think and hope Toyota will correct this soon. What is the sense having windows if you can't use them. Anyone having this problem. I have 5,000 miles on the vehicle.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Go to the main SUV conference page and look up the topic, "Toyota 4WD Systems Explained". Go to the first four posts. Most of your questions will be answered there. I wrote that explanation before the new Runners came out and there is only one difference with them. They now have a Torsen center differential which never allows all the power to go front or rear. You always have some power at both ends.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Cliffy1 said it doesn't allow all the power to go to front or rear, but it seems to be inconvenient. What if your front wheels get stuck? It means this diff won't allow 100% of power to go to the rear wheels. Kind of strange, no?
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Check out this extensive thread by me:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12

It will answer most of your question about Torsen Center diff...just scroll down.
  • sovangsovang Member Posts: 56
    I read the tundra FAQ and it says that the "clunking problem" only occurs on some Tundras. My question is; can this problem be fixed for good or do I continue to grease the hell out of the yoke for the next 5 years? Also, why does it only occur on some runners and not all?

SV
    I am probably making this harder than it needs to be, but I got tired of reinventing the wheel each time I wanted to convert from the L/100km convention of our esteemed Canadian neighbors to our MPG ratings. It is a bit of an odd thing to do, though, as their base unit is distance and they quote a volume, while our base unit volume and we quote a distance.

Anyway, this seems to work: If you're given a rating in L/100km, just take the number 282.5 and divide it by the L number. This will yield MPG. Thus Galileo757's 13.5L/100km is 20.93MPG.

Which is not too bad for a vehicle of this mass and horsepower, by the way.
  • sovangsovang Member Posts: 56
    I know very little about cars/trucks, but would like to try and grease the slip yoke on my 03 4runner. Could someone provide some tips or point me to a website where I can find some help.

Thx,

SV
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    Oh man oh man, you have stumbled upon the mother load. This topic has been discussed, rediscussed, flamed, everything. Try searching for 'egg', 'sulfur' and even spelled wrong 'sulfer'. You will have a ball. BTW, sorry that your are one of the unfortunate ones.

-Jared
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I was looking around some "octane" sites yesterday and one place mentioned in passing that if you burn premium, you may notice the sulfur smell more than if you run on regular.

Perhaps it's time for someone with the smell problem to test drive a few tanks of the lowest-octane stuff from the scuzziest off-brand station in their neighborhood and see if that helps?

Steve, Host
  • nbuchanannbuchanan Member Posts: 6
    I only use regular gas in my SR5 V8 and have NEVER suffered from the smell. I'm not sure if that's luck, or a scientific correlation.

After 2,000 miles my gas consumption is averaging out at 19.6 MPG, in mixed driving.
  • billf6531billf6531 Member Posts: 8
    corancher wrote:

'Anyway, this seems to work: If you're given a rating in L/100km, just take the number 282.5 and divide it by the L number. This will yield MPG. Thus Galileo757's 13.5L/100km is 20.93MPG.'

Ah yes, but is this Miles per US gallon or Canadian gallon?
  • Boris2Boris2 Member Posts: 177
    Thank!
    I'll look there... I'll let you know if I have more questions...
    Very funny, billf6531, let's just hope nobody takes you seriously. This conversion stuff is strange enough already. Fiddling with Canadian gallons would just make it worse.

Next thing you know, you guys will be asking for something like drams/furlong!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I agree! That's taking things a bit far because a dram is a measure of weight so your conversion will depend on the brand and type of gasoline (they all have different specific gravity).

tidester, host
  • hermantamhermantam Member Posts: 14
    Still thinking about buying a 4Runner and have been checking this site regularly to see if Toyota comes up with a fix of the smell issue. Love everything about the vehicle but my wife just won't let me buy because of the smell issue...
  • stephend2stephend2 Member Posts: 21
    Actually there's a 20% difference between the imperial gallon and the U.S gallon. So If you could be out by a bit on your conversion. However we all find this a pain in the but so lots of use the conversion chart made for us on Freds TDI page ( for Vw TDI people)
    Pls go to www.tdiclub.com and use the link on the lower left side of the main page. Now all problems should be easy.

Steve d. 2003 runner sport. (no smell)
    Awesome truck bur need some bush bars for the side so my kids can climb in easier. Any one have recommendations?
    Also the fog lights don't through as much light to the side as my previous Sequoia did. I really miss this on country roads as we have a lot of deer here. Any one have ideas on that?

Cheers
  • billf6531billf6531 Member Posts: 8
    corancher wrote:

'Anyway, this seems to work: If you're given a rating in L/100km, just take the number 282.5 and divide it by the L number. This will yield MPG. Thus Galileo757's 13.5L/100km is 20.93MPG.'

and then I wrote:

'Ah yes, but is this Miles per US gallon or Canadian gallon?'

and then corancher wrote:

'Very funny, billf6531, let's just hope nobody takes you seriously. This conversion stuff is strange enough already. Fiddling with Canadian gallons would just make it worse.'

Actually I wasn't trying to be funny. I think your calculation, resulting in 20.93 MPG, was per gallon of Canadian gas. A US gallon is only .835 of a Canadian gallon. Therefore your mileage would be 17.48 miles per gallon of US gas.

Anyone want to re-do the calculation from scratch and verify this? BTW, I used 3.8 litres per US gallon, and 4.55 litres per Canadian gallon in my conversions.

EDIT: I saw Stephend2's posting referencing http://www.tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html after I posted this note, and plugging the 13.5 litre value in gives the correct MPG in both Canadian and US gallons. Neat stuff!
    I just wanted to add one little comment regarding the smell from the exhaust. I have a yellow lab who LOVES hanging her head out the window. One of the reasons I like the Runner is because of the rear sliding window. Now my poor pup has to stick her head right into that egg / ammonia smell from the exhaust. Hope it wont hurt her....
    Billf6531 you are absolutely right about the Canadian/Imperial gallons. I grabbed the liters/gallon conversion from a US website and just assumed that it was US gallons. I feel especially silly because, while I didn't know the exact figure, I sure as heck knew that there were less than 4 liters/US gallon. Why the 4.546 liters/gallon figure didn't raise alarm bells when I saw it is a source of mystery and chagrin.

Anyway, if you find yourself wanting to do the conversion and don't have a web browser handy, (that site IS nifty) the real figure to divide by your L/100km figure is 235. And the result (in US MPG) of 17.5 is more realistic for a V8 in mixed driving. Thanks for setting me straight.
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    I have found this site to be extremely useful. It can convert just about everything.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the 4Runner forum, having been a former GMC Envoy owner. I just traded off my 2002 Envoy SLE for a Black 2003 4Runner SR5. Dealer had equipped it quite nicely w/ 17" wheels, moonroof, side curtain airbags, dual cargo, 10 speaker JBL, painted stripes and a clearbra.

For anyone interested, I have posted a bunch of Toyota and aftermarket accessory part numbers for the 2003 4Runner in the "Accessories and/or owner's club?" discussion...

Has anyone found a good price on aftermarket auto-dimming electrochromatic mirrors? The best dealer price I found was $157 for one w/ compass. (listed above) The Gentex and Donnelly sites show pricing much steeper at closer to $200.
  • sween77sween77 Member Posts: 31
    In the beggining I thought this problem was confined to a few complainers who were really just unhappy about the cladding. However I am beggining to change my mind. I think hotelseven is on it when he wonders if the breathing of sulphur fumes can have long term health consequences. Some people who have the new Runners are complaining of the odor getting into the cab. If these fumes contain carcinogens Toyota may wish they had taken this issue on. I would think lawsuits regarding health issues would be more expencive than fixing the emission system. This problem I hate to say it wont go away because Toyota hasnt found a solution. This is the one mark against an overall wonderfull SUV.
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    Sween77 I think you hit the nail on the head! Wonderful SUV with one HUGE draw back. A bit scary.
  • reddfishreddfish Member Posts: 54
    We've still got the stink after 3800 miles. Not driving the truck much due to health concerns. toyota has made a mistake with their V8 and they do not deny it. They blame the fuel, and have advised us that all fuel in the U.S. should be in compliance with the low sulfur ppm's by 2005. So maybe if you are considering a 4runner you should wait a few years. All those people without the stink, congradulations. All those with the problem, the longer you wait to take action, the closer you get to losing your emissions warranty.
    Well I just got my Runner back from the dealer. They thought it was the shims in the lifters being the wrong size but they found out they were wrong. Apparently now there is a TSB coming out very soon (its not even out yet) stating that the problem is the Exhaust Manifold. So they have the part on order and I have to bring it back in again..
  • highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    I am towing a 4000 lb. trailer with my 02 Sport Edition. On steep grades with this 4000 lb. tow weight the truck struggles a little. Does anyone know if adding the TRD Supercharger boosting the HP from 187 to 251 and the torque from 225 to 275 lb./ft. will assist when towing? My guess is that it will, like to get feedback from someone that has one.

I like my 2002 Sport Edition better than the redesigned 03's so I will not consider trading. This truck is awesome, just turned 30,000 miles and has not been to the dealer for anything. I change the oil and filter every 2500. With frequent towing I may consider this more often.

If the supercharger with transmission cooler will, if only slightly, improve my towing performance, I will order one. Appreciate comments and recommendations.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I guess my question would be: how could it not? Do you mean it might not have increased power at a low enough rpm?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

You've got to be kidding. Carcinogens?

The rotten egg odor is due to sulfer dioxide. Certain blends of fuels have varying levels of sulfer content. Fact. Typically, the level of sulfer varies by region and varies by season as the refineries change the blends to meet local conditions.

The emmissions systems in the vehicals sold in this country are designed with sulfer in mind. Some obviously deal with the sulfer content better than others. This should be evident from the posts in here over the last few months. But please realize that ALL exhaust contains the sulfer is one form or another. The emmissions system does NOT "remove" the sulfer; where would it go? Does anyone think there is a little holding tank somewhere in their car to hold all the nasty pollutants? So, whether you smell it or not, all auto exhaust contains, amoung other stuff, sulfer.

Now, the health "risks". Where else does one smell this rotten egg odor? Anyone here ever been to Yellowstone NP? Do you suppose that there is a huge increase in the cancer rate amoungst park rangers working there? Has anyone ever been cautioned by a health official to wear an environmental suit if they intend to visit Yellowstone?

And how about (how do I put this.....) excess intestinal gas? Many cities in this country have implemented smoking bans in restaurants over the concerns of 2nd hand smoke. Are you guys gonna start lobbying for farting bans in restaurants too? Are you going to picket Mexican restaurants until they remove their beans from the menu. I sure hope not; I love a healthy portion of refried with my enchiladas.

Okay, we get that you are unhappy that your truck has a sulferous odor. But I have a REAL hard time buying your concerns that there is some health risk involved. Could someone, anyone, find evidence of a study, any study, showing that sulfer dioxide poses ANY health risk?
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    I'm taking my V8 powered 4Runner to Yellowstone in a couple weeks. Really! Now I haven't really had a stink problem with the vehicle, but I know if I do while I'm there, I can blame it on a fumarole!

I was kind of wondering about that, if the sulfur originates in the gas, where does it go? Why would some vehicles smell and others not? Is there something in the emissions system that's supposed to catalyze the stinky sulfur to the not bad smelling stuff?
  • nbuchanannbuchanan Member Posts: 6
    No this is not another diatribe on cladding, I actually like it. However, I noticed yesterday that after 3000 miles and a cold Canadian winter, my cladding is starting to warp a little at the ends. I'm concerned that the resulting gap between the body panels and the cladding will trap water and dirt. Aside from that it looks cheap. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Could someone, anyone, find evidence of a study, any study, showing that sulfer dioxide poses ANY health risk?

Well, since you did ask, look here.

A quick search on Google yields an abundance of such studies.

Incidentally, the park rangers at Yellowstone do stand up wind of the Old Faithful when telling the public about the marvelous phenomenon.

tidester, host
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    vodgut, pack your snow boots for Yellowstone. I went there a few years back in mid June and there was still a pretty good amount of snow. But it's one of the greatest places in the US.

rorr, lol. These boards do produce a lot of good information. And I'm wondering where to go to get my sulfer collector drained?
  • tcbktcbk Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone recommend a navigation system for my 03 4 runner in Vancouver BC Canada ? I was recommended the Pioneer system consisting of Avic-90DVD and AVH-P6400CD . It costs too much ,around CAD $5000.00 to install. What is the reasonable price ?

What is the factory installed Toyota system ?
  • kb28kb28 Member Posts: 25
    Tell me what you guys think. I ordered a 4Runner sport with NAV, leather and a few other goodies on 4/5. The dealer said no problem with delivery by the end of June or the first of July (12 weeks or less). Called them today to see how things were going. Guess what? They give the BS line that the computer has been rejecting the order because of the NAV and just today they have been able to solve the problem and the order is now placed. It will be built in June with delivery in September. SEPTEMBER!! Well excuse me, but don't the 2004s start coming out then? Besides the fact these guys are full of it and have been earning interest on my deposit, what do you guys think about waiting for the 2004 model year rather than take delivery on a 2003 that will be a year old when I drive it off the lot? Would there be ANY advantage to the 2003 in September?
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    In those vehicles with the prolonged sulfer smell, isn't it possible that CO (which is colorless, odorless and possibly more dangerous) could be seeping in along with the sulfer?
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I wouldn't buy a 2003 model in September unless I were getting an excellent deal (and on a special order you probably aren't). It will drop in value considerably when you take delivery. Now if you are sure you will keep it for more than 5 or 6 years, it might not be as significant. Can't the dealer find one with NAV and leather somewhere without special ordering it? BTW, 4 months seems to be pretty normal for a wait time on a special order for Toyota.
  • jorgjorgjorgjorg Member Posts: 8
    I too am leaning toward a new 4WD V6 Sport and based on lack of availability in Colorado I will have to special order if I want a non V8 Sport model.

My question is how exactly did you navigate through the process of negotiating and ordering? Any details you can provide would be appreciated. I am planning on negotiating the best price through the internet sites and local dealers, then ordering through the lowest bidder.

Since you ordered without adding any options, what type of cladding did you end up with? Is it the greyish black or does it match the body color?

Thanks for your help and insight in advance.
  • tomcat83tomcat83 Member Posts: 7
    It is my understanding that the more efficient emission systems clean or "scrub" out the harmful exhaust gases, converting them into harmless gasses. I read that this is also the reason that people are are smelling sulfur more in the low emission vehicles, like the 2003 4Runner. According to an article I read, in older or weaker emission systems, sulfur will mix with, and be absorbed by the other gases and compounds in the exhaust and the sulfur smell will not be detected the exhaust from the vehicle. In the new, efficient emission systems, the cleaning process leaves the catalytic converter without any (harmful) gases to help absorb the sulfur, resulting in the release of a more sulfur-rich odorous gas. I am no scientist, but this explanation seems to be reasonable and clarified, at least for me, a lot of the sulfur issues surrounding the 4Runner and many other low emission vehicles. Believe me, this is not an isolated event. Many other vehicles have this problem. I commend Toyota for providing such a GREAT low emission vehicle. I feel bad for those who have to deal with the smell. Once the oil companies catch up to Toyota and the rest of the auto makers the smell will disappear.
  • highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    nippononly,

Thanks for your question and suggestion. I know the TRD supercharger will improve performance. But will it have noticeable increased torque at low rpm's when towing 4000 lbs.?

Before investing $4,000.00+ that includes tax and installation, I want to be sure that this is a worthwhile upgrade. I would like feedback from someone that has this accessory and tows a trailer.

I could upgrade to a Sequoia or a Tundra but my 4Runner should be capable of towing a trailer of this weight. Suggestions and comments very much appreciated.

thank you.....
  • trevor57trevor57 Member Posts: 18
    Hello everyone! Just heard from CarsDirect on a V6 Limited edition. Can you believe that the guy told me that there is NOT ONE V6 LTD with side curtain airbags in the entire Northeast region???!!! He he muttered some nonsense that they were not shipping that "kind" of equipped truck to this region. Makes perfect sense to me...people in the northeast would never think of running a stop sign....what crap! I am convinced the guy was just trying to get me to purchase the more expensive 8 cyl model. From the service I have gotten from these CarsDirect folks, it is not worth the bad info. BTW, all the reps for CarsDirect work for local dealerships anyway....Anyone ever have a good experience with these people?
  • kb28kb28 Member Posts: 25
    I agree. Dealer tells me there is not one 4Runner Sport anywhere in the country with NAV and the leather I want; hence, the factory order. They suggested today that they might be able to locate a Limited with NAV, and since I want the Sport for the hood scoop appearance, they say they can install the scoop on the Limited, if they can find one with the NAV. Any thoughts on that? It would be a 2003 in May/June.

Do you know when the 2004s will start rolling in? Dealer said probably not until November because the 2003s were so late in coming out. Don't believe I can much trust this dealer now, though. Also is there an expected price increase for 2004. I've heard $300, which would be insignificant.

All things considered, it seems like it might be best just to wait for the 2004s, but patience is NOT one of my virtues.