Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 wrx sti

jsylvestrejsylvestre Member Posts: 8
edited July 2014 in Subaru
just wanted to state a couple of my thoughts on what i think subaru should do with the sti. first i think they need to change the seats color scheme a little,secondly the interior door panels should match that found in the legacy.(currently own a 2008 legacy however will eventually own sti waiting to see 2010 changes) and lastly they should offer a 4dr sti. let me know what you guys think.

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    A.... 4 door STi? That simply is not going to happen. The STi is far too specialized with too few units produced/sold for Subaru to invest in two body types for it, and the hatch has more overall appeal, utility, and balance.

Also, with the fact that 2008 MY is a complete re-tool for the car, plus several significant tweaks for 2009, I suspect we will not see any major non-mechanical changes in the 2010. Though, it would be nice if they added the cold-weather package to the car.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I say source the door panels from the Forester. It's closer to the Impreza now, yet the door panels are more upscale, with a better elbow rest. It might actually fit as is, or with only slight modifications.

The door panels on the Legacy actually are not well designed - the door handle blocks access to the power window controls.

So copy the Forester, not the Legacy.
  • jsylvestrejsylvestre Member Posts: 8
    yes the power controls are blocked however currently owning the legacy i find that the handle is completely necessary for the passanger especially. Does nobody agree? maybe iem way off
    Check out the Forester, it's easy enough to reach. Perhaps because the door itself is smaller.

There's a pic, you see how similar they are, yet the door panels in the Forester are just a bit nicer. The elbow rest is very well padded, something my 98 Forester did not have, so it stood out to me.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Also, with the fact that 2008 MY is a complete re-tool for the car, plus several significant tweaks for 2009, I suspect we will not see any major non-mechanical changes in the 2010. Though, it would be nice if they added the cold-weather package to the car.

Actually the 2009 STi is the same as the 2008 other than the white color changed.

I expect 2010 to bring a more powerful STi something in the 350hp range.

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    I agree, and increasing the hp seems like the easiest thing to do.

Maybe offer the Spec C here as well?

tom
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I would like to see a turbo 3.0 H6 (not 3.6, but 3.0) in the STI. That would allow the ceiling to be raised a bit on the 2.5 WRX and 2.5 GT Imprezas.

I'd also like to see a "Limited" trim level be offered on the 2.5 GT, WRX and STI, in which NAV (w/traffic & weather) would be standard, as would leather—and still more sound deadening to further quell road noise. Throw in an upgraded audio system with a 30+ GB hard drive as well, to store music.

Bob
  • wrx510wrx510 Member Posts: 2
    With the release of the Hyunadai Genesis and Mitsu undoubtly having something in the works, more boost is defitnetly in demand. I don't know about a "limited" package on a STI, we'll leave that to the guys that wear their sisters pants. Subaru should offer a stripped down version of the STI much like the '06-'07 WRX TR wich would be ready for the owners preference of mods and brands of aftermarket goodies.
    I agree with the limited trim with a nicer interior and much better stereo! (and Nav unit) but I'm sure that would push the STi into the $40k range, which might be a hard sell.

I think the turbo H6 would be very cool- not much weight penalty and a lot more potential power. But once again, might push it over the $40k range.

tom
    Well, that's another item that needs to be addressed: $40K for an NAV-equipped econocar with a gonzo drivetrain? There's no way an STI should cost twice that of an Impreza 2.5i.

The STI may be a great little car, but a great "value" it's not. There are a lot of very nice performance cars in the STI price range—and that are in many ways far more compelling than the STI.

Bob
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    In that some tuners are getting close to 200 HP per litre from the 4 banger, I'm not in favor of an even greater amount of weight hanging off the front. I think that's exactly how Audi lost their way.
    Subaru needs to make the STI "special" again. Compared to the '09 WRX, the STI looks like an overpriced car, with not a lot more to offer than the WRX.

Giving it a turbo 3.0 H-6, with 350+ hp, does just that.

The BMW M3 has a very different engine than the standard 3 Series. I think that's what's needed here. Also, I'm not concerned about whatever extra weight that may involve. It won't be much, as the Legacy does just fine with the H6.

Bob
  • jsylvestrejsylvestre Member Posts: 8
    putting a six cylinder engine in the sti would destroy its heritage. putting a six in the impreza sti would ruin it! you can extract plenty of power out of the 2.5 h-4. more then you can use! now if they made a legacy sti with the h-6 as a big brother to the impreza sti that would be alright.
    It's not a question of getting more power. A 3.0 H-6 turbo in the Impreza STI would elevate the [Impreza] STI's image, and would likely sell more cars—assuming they can solve the "value" issue.

As to heritage: Subaru has just dropped out of the WRC. Plus the cars they raced in the WRC were 2.0 engines, not 2.5 engines. So I don't see a problem here either.

Offer a larger 3.6 H-6 turbo in the Legacy STI. Having two STIs, with different engines is not a problem.

Bob
    It's not the weight it's self that bothers me, but the weight distribution. Subarus are already burdened with most of it's weight in the worst place.
    Mitsu sales were down more than 25% last year, IIRC. The new Lancer isn't doing that well.
    In Japan Subaru has introduced a new STI luxury trim level that is called the A-Line.

It comes with the 5-EAT w/paddle shifters, SI-Drive, 8-way power seats, soft leather door trim, and optional leather seats. Also, this is the first 2.5L STI sold in Japan; other JDM STIs are all 2.0L. It's also the first STI to be offered with an automatic—anywhere.

http://finchannel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30441&Itemid=14

http://www.subaru.jp/impreza/wrxsti/

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25688926&postcount=138

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090224.006/subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-a-line-announced

I wonder if the all-new Legacy turbo might get this horsepower?

Bob
    STI + Automatic = sacreligious.
    I agree- why not just get a Legacy?

It's like an Auto Ferrari or Porsche or Corvette!
    Oh, I guess they have those too. ;)

Even a DSG for the STi seems out of place, but I guess it's what the public wants. :(

tom
    The DSG-equipped EVO is getting rave reviews (at least from Edmunds editors who have a long-term tester). I suspect this car is just a stopgap until a DSG STI is available.

Bob
    Yes, it's really a marvel. But at the expense of reliability. They just are able to handle power like their manual counterparts. Nissan is having problems with the reliability of the GTR DSG as well.

Of course, if you are buying a supercar then it's no big deal to drop another $15k when your tranny goes out, but it's another thing on your Subaru!

I like Nissan's idea with the new 370 with the rev matching downshifts. It seems relatively simple, makes you faster, and you get to keep the sturdy MT.

Unless you want an Auto, that is.

But I agree with you Bob, I think this auto version is just a 'transitional' STi.

tom
    Yes, the throttle-blipping feature on the new 370Z is a great idea. I hope we see it on the WRX and STI soon.

Bob
    I think they should wait for a dual-clutch style gearbox to be available rather than introduce a stop-gap slushbox.

STI is sacred, don't taint the name.

Look how much harm the Cimmarron did to Cadillac.

Don't do it, Subaru!
    Don't do it? They already did it.

Bob
    I think a high performance CVT makes more sense.
    Well...not in the US...yet.

They have FWD in Japan, too.
  • changedchanged Member Posts: 3
    Recently bought a 2010 STi and was wondering if anyone knows the decibel level of STi w/factory installed SPT exhaust. First time I ever owned a car w/performance exhaust. Second, does anyone know if European map CDs are available for Subaru nav system, dealership doesn't have a clue. Any clues will be helpful. Thanks
    edited March 2010
    I couldn't even tell you how loud the stock exhaust is. It's too quiet, so any increase would be welcome, actually. The GR body is much too quiet compared to the GD. You could probably youtube it and see if anyone has any recordings. You can definitely find recordings of other aftermarket exhausts. I've been playing with the idea of changing my exhaust just so I can hear it!

I don't know if the Nav Unit is the same here as in Europe. You might try looking on the Subaru website of say, Great Britain for some clues. Or even better, go to Subaru.com and ask them. They're very good about getting back to you with answers to obscure questions (I have asked a few. ;) )

Good luck!

tom
This discussion has been closed.