Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Venza Real World MPG

Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
Please post your mpg, please specify if you have the v4, v6, FWD, or AWD, and percentage of city and highway driving.

Comments

• rollon1300rollon1300 Member Posts: 63
    Just to clarify a point, the four cylinder would be specified as an i4. I'm looking forward to seeing some real-world numbers for the i4 FWD myself.
  • linersliners Member Posts: 19
    I have 2,400 miles on my Venza v-6 AWD. Ninety percent of my driving is around towns in Florida- 10 percent interstate. I average a consistent 22.5 mpg. We leave for the North Carolina mountains tomorrow. Ninety percent of the trip will be interstate at 75mph. Will report back in after the trip.
  • soonercatsoonercat Member Posts: 48
    I was pretty impressed that I got 27.7 mpg on 120 mile trip home from the dealer at 70-75 mph (flat-rolling interstate). FWD V-6. Would like to know just how much better the four can be. You will notice from consumer reports tests that the V-6 is only about 1 mpg less in the RAV4 application in overall gas mileage when comparing the 3.5 six to the old 2.4 inline four in the RAV4's case..
  • bbtingbbting Member Posts: 9
    Have had over 1300 km now and have been trying very hard (very light foot on pedal) to get high mileage but it is average at 14-15L/100km and it is all in city. But the Canadian spec is 11.5L/100km in city and 7.9L/100km on highway. My conversion to US mpg is still high = 100 / 14.5 / 1.6 *3.8 = 16.4 MPG compared to the US's 18MPG in city. It is still way off. Wondering if how people can get better than the spec.!?

I live on the mountain. But the thing is that sliding off hill should also offset the more gas used climbing up. Wondering what other Canadian's getting too ?
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Going downhill does not offset the fuel used to go up the same hill. More gas is used on hills than on level terrain. 16.4 mpg US in the city sounds very reasonable for the size of this vehicle. Remember government published fuel usage is always under ideal conditions and seldom achieved in the real world--especially the city rating.
  • linersliners Member Posts: 19
    Just returned from a 1500 mile round trip from Orlando, FL to North Carolina moutains. Ninety percent was interstate. I averaged 25.3 at an interstate speed of 72 mph. Averaged 24.8 at 76 mph. This is real- not using onboard computer. Car now has 4,000 miles and is v-6 AWD.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    I'm at just over 500 miles and filled up for the second time (AWD V6). My first tank came out to 17.8 MPG. My second tank worked out to about 18.1 MPG. Trip computer now shows an average of 17.6 MPG (I haven't reset it since picking it up).

A lot of my driving is up and down a mountain, so I'm not too surprised. I'm hoping to hit 19-20 MPG.
  • pacpark4pacpark4 Member Posts: 3
    My 2009 FWD Venza V6 Automatic just turned 2,000 miles and my mpg. has varied from 22.3 - mixed city/highway, to 25.3 - freeway driving 70-75 mph.
    In town the car has been averaging right around 22. I hope it continues to improve
    We took our first long trip. 600 miles. Overall 27 mpg or so up to 75 mph, this includes all kinds of roads but mostly highway. We did get 30 mpg at 65 mph for 150 miles and a tail wind. So far the computer understates mpg which is usually the opposite.
  • david_k1david_k1 Member Posts: 39
    Say - Which engine / drive-train are you running??
    Thanks
    V-6 front drive.
  • opinion13opinion13 Member Posts: 3
    I drove one and am a whisker away from buying.. I have always owned V-8's,, tough decision moving to a 4-cyc but gas is not going to stay as low as it is now,, we all know that.. I was very impressed with power and performance on the Venza 2.7.. has anyone bought yet or driven.. would like opinions.. good or bad.. Thanks....
    Soonercat -

Thanks for the info -
    WE just ordered our V6 FWD and am hoping for these kinda #s IF I can keep my foot off the LOUD pedal!! The last test drive included a back to back I4 - V6 comparison and I was rather surprised as to just how FAST the V6 really was. The smoothness of the V6 won the battle for me though..

Best
  • chadxchadx Member Posts: 153
    "was very impressed with power and performance on the Venza 2.7.. has anyone bought yet or driven.. would like opinions.. good or bad.. "

Since this thread is devoted to mpg discussions, you'll probably get better response posting your questions to another thread, like a "driving impressions" thread.
    "Going downhill does not offset the fuel used to go up the same hill. More gas is used on hills than on level terrain."

I disagree with this statement, at least when it is stated so broadly. Many vehicles get better mileage in hilly country or using the "pump" method of accelerating and coasting. For example, my 2003 Avalanche, with 5.3L V8, gets way better mileage driving up the mountain and back down (3,500ft elevation change) than doing the same 100 mile round trip on relatively level terrain.

Granted I get a certain percentage worse-than-normal mileage on the way up, but the percentage better-than-normal mileage that I get on the way down is a higher percentage. Roughly, I get 10% worse than normal on the way up, but rather than only 10% better than normal on the way down, I get 20% better than normal. That not only compensates, but improves my overall mpg.

Different vehicles will vary I suppose, but my wife's car acts the same way on this particular trip as do both of our motorcycles. Surely a small part of it is the usual "better mpg at elevation", but there's more to it than that. YMMV.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    You have a point with the pump method of accelerating and coasting. I was thinking of a more congested hilly terrain where the pump method is unlikely or impossible to implement. I live in such an area.
  • rdeasonrdeason Member Posts: 11
    Just came back from a 1300+ mile vacation trip. Averaging 74 mph I got 26.5 mpg. If I let up on the speed I'm sure I could have done better. Car drives very smoothly and is comfortable. The mileage computer is very pessimistic. Showing a 22 mpg average. Did my own math when filling the tank. Not as good as my previous Camry with the same engine and transmission where I usually gor 30+ mpg at the same speed.
    No doubt the less efficient (than the camry) aerodynamics is the culperit in mpg, even with the same drivetrain. Between the higher ground clearance, which adds turbulance and hence drag, and the big caboose, the drag coefficient is impacted considerably. The extra weight in the Venza impacts mpg, too.

I did a quick search and it looks like the Venza's drag coefficient is 0.33 while the Camry is 0.28. That is actually a pretty large difference. Just for comparisons sake, here are some others.

1996 General Motors EV1 - 0.195
    2009/2010 Prius - 0.26/0.25
    2001 Audi A2 1.2 TDI - 0.25
    2004 Mazda RX-8 - 0.31
    2006 RAV4 - 0.31
    2005 Ford Escape Hybrid - 0.40
    2003 Hummer H2 - 0.57

Since the Venza is 0.33 and the Camry is 0.28, one can see how little of a difference impacts mileage if the previous poster went from 30+ in the Camry to 26.5mpg in the Venza with same drivetrain. Note that aerodynamic drag increases as the square of speed, so the difference between even 65mph and 75mph has a huge impact on mpg no matter how good of a drag coefficient your vehicle has.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    The Drag is the product of the Drag Coefficient times the Frontal Area. So, the Venza being taller, and wider, AND a little less slippery, it's mileage is dragged down. Literally.

This explains why the Corolla gets noticeably better mileage than its taller cousin, the Matrix. Even with the same powertrain.

Still, I like the Venza for getting the mileage as it does. The Camry just can't carry enough of my stuff. I keep seeing V-6's reported as getting over 26 on the highway. Soon we should get mileage reports from owners of 2.7L's. Maybe knocking on 30 mpg?
    I'm just over 1,000 miles on my AWD V6. I got 18.4 MPG on my last tank (calculated based on the miles driven and gas filled).

I'm still hoping to hit 19 MPG. A lot of my driving is up and down a mountain, so I'm pretty happen even with the sub-20 results.
    I'm up to 19.5 MPG with my last tank (calculated based on miles driven and gas filled) on my AWD V6. The trip computer shows 18.5 MPG (have not reset it since picking it up).
  • verndogverndog Member Posts: 6
    Looks like people are getting a wide range of MPG. My first 2 tanks have been consistant. Tank 1-- 21.4 mpg tank 2 --22.8 mpg. This is V6 FWD and prob. 30% highway and 70% residential driving. Considering the power the car has, I'm very happy so far. I believe I will get 26+ hiway on trips without any problem from what I see. Mileage is calculated from gas used fill stop to fill stop, and is pretty close to trip calculator on the car as well.
    We finally got our RED Venza two weeks ago. V6, FWD with lots of heavy options!!
    Last weekend was a 500 mile trip with 85% highway (60MPH / 75MPH) and the other 15% having a little fun exploring redline between stoplights. I gotta say I am a little impressed with this close to 4000 pound car. We got 30.3 MPG on the trip. I actually ran the calculations twice to verify!! This on a brand new engine (It now has 1100 miles on the odo).
    Now to see how it does in day-to-day at an average speed of 30 MPH on our little Island! I'll keep the board informed.
    David
  • bill3333bill3333 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone installed and evaluated a K&N cone air filter on their V-6 Venza?
    My passed experience with this modification has resulted in improved power and gas mileage on passed vehicles that i owned.
    Relative to gas mileage - I have almost 5K miles on my Venza and with finite evaluation I can say that mixed city / hwy mileage has been consistently around 25 mpg. while hwy mileage has been between 29-30 mpg. I know this seems almost too good to be true, but I'm thrilled to report these results to date.
  • mechfred2mechfred2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi:
    I have a 09 Venza V6 AWD and i have been getting 22.5 MPG average with 70% city and 30% hiway.It has 1800 miles on it.mechfred.
  • guyverfanboyguyverfanboy Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone have any new MPG numbers for their Venza?
  • bill3333bill3333 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my FWD V-6 since May and have over 16K miles. I drive both city and highway each and every day. I've kept very strict track of mileage to date.
    Here are my findings:
    Relatively flat terrain - 70 mph, little wind = 27.5-28.3 mpg
    Realtively flat terrain - 70mph, tail winds= 29.0-31.0 mpg
    Relatively flat terrain - 70 mph, head wind= 24.7 - 25.9 mpg
    Mixed hwy and city driving yields arround 24 mpg
    Strict city driving yields no less tha 18.5 mpg.
    For every 2mph above 70 mph sacrifices about 0.3 mpg until you hit about 78 mph. Above 78mph for extended periods dropped hwy milege to 22mpg average.
    I've actually hit 32 mpg for a full tank on the hwy and the lowest has been 23.7 mpg.
    Hope this helps
  • antlers1antlers1 Member Posts: 13
    V64wd 22.6 mostly city with a light foot under 2000rpm
  • dave139dave139 Member Posts: 19
    My Venza might still be in the break-in period (@ 3200mi ??) but w/ 4cyl AWD - I averaged 26.1 mpg during T-gvg holiday trip (997 mi) of mostly interstate miles. The gauge read the avg trip speed @ 50 mph.

If the gauge is right, I'm getting 20-21mpg around town w/ more than half being traveled on interstate during my 40 mi. daily round trip commute.

Just mounted 4 new Blizzaks snow/ice tires so I expect mpg to slip during the winter.
  • myspringermyspringer Member Posts: 13
    I bought a Venza v-6 AWD in October and now have 3100 miles on it.
    On a recent trip of 953 milres, 95 % ON INTERSTATE 75 WITH CRUISE GOING AT 60 TO MAX 70 MPH I could not get any better than 27 MPG (IMPERIAL GAL) AND 23.7 US GALLON)
    In Canada where I live and purchased the vehicle our ratings for this vehicle are 25 city and 36 highway based on Imperial gallons. (roughly 20% largeR than an American gallon) CITY IS ABOUT 17 mpg.

Toyota is trying to fool people with numbers that they will not obtain.

My new Mazda MX 5 bouhgt in April exceeded the suggested mpg after 1000 miles.
  • myspringermyspringer Member Posts: 13
    See my posting placed today regarding my mpg. on a Canadian vehicle. If you want more information or up dates u can get me at .

14/15 l/ is giving u about 19-20mpg (imperial gal)

Emission requirements in the US are differnt than those in Canada, that is why I am wondering that the vehicle made for me may have the Us emission system by mistake or thats what they had in stock and and just built it that way.

Being out 8 to 9 mpg is not acceptable.

Just wrote to Toyota today regarding this.

robmillcan@shaw.ca
  • lgigantelgigante Member Posts: 34
    I have almost 10,000 mile on my 2 wheel drive V6. I do a lot of highway driving but the best mileage I have ever gotten was a little over 26 mpg. That was at around 65 mpg on flat roads. My city mileage always hovers around 22 or 23.

My previous car was a 2005 Avalon V6 which is the same engine as the Venza V6.
    My average mileage with the Avalon was about 4 mpg better.

The Venza has alway had a slight stumble the first time I accelerate after the car has been standing for a while or when cold.This will only happen the first time the throttle is depressed. I have asked 2 different dealers to check the tuning specs to see if that might be the cause of the poor mileage. Neither will admit that the car even stumbles.
  • cartalker10cartalker10 Member Posts: 5
    I have 2009 V6 AWD Venza with 22080 miles
    I average between 18 and 19 mph with 55% - Hwy and 45 %- City on 87 Octane
    During 100 % hwy driving, I've averaged between 28 and 29 mph - driving speed average of 75 mph - 87 octane
    Every quarter, I use premium fuel of 91+ to clean the engine, so I think it does... and I get 2 mpg better.
  • kingfans1kingfans1 Member Posts: 137
    hi your venza v6 fwd rated 26 mpg highway. I wonder how you able to get 30.3 mpg.
    I am thinking the most you can get it around 28-29 mpg using cruise control, and 60-65 mph..

maybe your venza have more psi than toyota recommend... are you using 87 or 91 octane?
  • cartalker10cartalker10 Member Posts: 5
    hello david,

Using 91 octane, i noticed hwy mpg was about 29 or 30
    PSI is recommended at 32 and thats where i try to keep it
    I have never got more than about 27 on 87 octane
  • 1trulove1trulove Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2010
    We've owned our I4, FWD Venza for 3 weeks. The average mileage for the first two tanks has been 28.5 mpg. This is mostly State roads and some "city". On the Highway the average mpg indicator reads close to 29.5 mpg, but drops quickly when traffic lights or down shifting is required. So far, so good.
    We're looking for 30 mpg on the highway once broken in. Intend to up the tire pressure to 36 psi for mileage, as long as ride is not adversely affected (all nitrogen). Since we have the 2 year, 25,000 mile free service, we'll not be going the synthetic route. Will report back after the first 5,000 miles.
  • ultgarultgar Member Posts: 8
    Highway mileage ran in the 23-24.5 mpg range for the first 4200 miles. Changed the oil last week to Eneos 5w20 synthetic and managed 27.5 mpg on a 120 mile trip (70-72 mph in the rain) and 28.3mpg on the way home (again around 70mph, no rain).

Big increase...need to see if I can duplicate an improvement with this oil on another vehicle that's already using a 5w20 (non-synthetic) oil. SD
  • davidsd1davidsd1 Member Posts: 11
    Had 4cyl 2010 for 2 months with 3000 miles. Just had a round trip from San Diego to Las Vegas and managed 32.5 mpg. Avarage speed was 65 with up hill of 62 and down hill of 70. No AC, 32PSI and only one person with no cargo.

On the other trip with AC on, speed of 75-80, the MPG drop to 25.

I did exact the same trip with my Corolla 2004 with my wife. With speed of avragespeed of 75 and no AC, the MPG was 44.75.

Chose 4cyl mainly for better MPG, but it seems V6 only uses 10% more gas. For extra $3K, I would have getting JBL, roof, 20in, and a quieter V6. I should have gone for V6.
  • 1trulove1trulove Member Posts: 29
    Likewise! We have 2,600 miles on our I-4, FWD and just completed a 900 mile trip from NC to Maine. Mostly highway at 55 to 70 mph. Average was about 60 mph. The calculated mileage VS the car computer mileage on 3 tanks of gas was: 30.5 mpg / 31.0 mpg; 28.4 mpg / 30.8 mpg; 29.3 mpg / 29.4 mpg.
    We were fully loaded with all the gear and clothes for our summer camp, including battery and tools (heavy). Tire pressure was increased to 36 psi and the Venza road about the same as normal. Note the descrepencies in the calculated VS computer mpg. The computer is a good indicator but can vary from one reset to another. Also head winds make a difference at highway speeds - a 15 mph head wind at 65 mph affect the car like your driving at 80 mph.
    All in all, were very pleased.with the mileage and power. :)
  • kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    Our 4 cyl. front driver has gotten several tankfulls just over 27 mpg, one @ 29, and one with a Thule cargo box driving a lot at 70 - 75 mph when we got 26 mpg!

The on board computer is spot on, within a tenth when we check. Not so for our former ride, an '06 Highlander Hybrid; it was always 1 - 2 mpg lower than the display.
  • rafael2rafael2 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for your input... lots of people don't know how much fuel rating affects any car performance.

I'm a heavy foot in HWY and light in the city, some air condition as require in New England summer.

My V6 AWD Venza does avg. of 19.5 MPG. I had a 2009 Prius package #3 and that thing did 41 with the Heater/AC on 90% of the time, and I drove it hard... I mean HARD in the city. We do miss the fuel economy (the MPG) but NOT the car.

:shades: I love this baby just would like Smaller rims for once like an 18" rims with fat tires so that I can treat it like an SUV and go on country off roads trails (not the very tough ones).

:mad: This 20" rims are too bouncy, jumpy and busy ride. For the few first days I drove it, I almost felt sick to my stomach of so much bounciness. This rims size should be an option.

:( Also, the FIT AND FINISH quality is more like a FORD type inside than TOYOTA or Lexus. The Price is somewhat expensive and the driving it has like a .5sec lag. It does feel a bit disconnected from the road but I think is because its 8.1" of ground clearance.

19.5 MPG for Me!
    :):)
  • venzaownervenzaowner Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    In Canada, this car is rated about 7 l/100km highway and 10 l/100km city. For my first tank of gas in my new Venza I got...14.7 l/100km all city driving, hvac on the lowest setting the whole time. That's 50% more than rated. I'm not impressed.
  • roadventureroadventure Member Posts: 7
    2011 FWD, I4
    90% Highway
    10% "City"

I am close to empty on my second tankful of gas and am looking at 25.2mpg according to the built-in calculator.

I am also somewhat disappointed so far as I had hopes of seeing above 27mpg due to my daily commute of 80 miles @ 65mph.
  • yegoryegor Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    2009 I-4 AWD

70% city, 30% highway
    24 MPG in summer
    22 MPG in winter

20 MPG - heavy city
    21 MPG - city
    25 MPG - highway at 70 mph
    26 MPG - highway at 65 mph

Please post your MPG at fueleconomy website where lots of people check them:
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=browseList2&make=Toyota&model=Venza- - %20AWD
  • yegoryegor Member Posts: 2
    2009 I-4 AWD.

One more thing - it takes about 10 miles for the car to "warm up" and while it does it consumes lots of fuel (especially in winter). Even if you drive highway expect:
    trip: 3 miles - 15 MPG average
    trip: 15 miles - 22 MPG average
    trip: 60 miles - 26 MPG average
    trip: 100 miles - 29 MPG average
    But after about 10 miles it starts to get really good MPG. So if you take a really long trip (more than 100 miles) you can get 30 MPG.
  • aionicaaionica Member Posts: 1
    Installed a K&N air filter, not sure what cone refers to...anyway it seems to have a small impact to gas savings but it is there.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And you may have gotten that much or more impact with a new paper air filter.
  • fhffhf Member Posts: 19
    Third tank of gas...26.6 mpg manual calc and computer was giving same number. 80 % highway at 70 mph & 20 % city .
    2013 V6 FWD Venza w/ 2000 miles. Third tank 26.6 mpg, fourth tank 26.5, fifth tank 26.7 with 80% highway & 20% city. I filled the tank to overflow and calculated manually. computer states 26.6 mpg.
    .2700 miles on car...last tank 80% highway 10% city... Filled to overflow & manual calc got 27.9 mpg